PDA

View Full Version : carrier flatten files

hurricane3
June 22nd, 2011, 11:20
In my "go to airports" page I have a whole list of carrier flatten files, most have ships names attached and locations. If I go to one of these files, I end up in the water ,and if I use a seaplane and take off, (not all planes like the N3N will even move) but if I do get off the water ,after about 5 min the screen goes black and I have to use ctr+alt+delete to get out of the sim.
At first I thought it was because I didn't have the ships to go with the scenery but some of them ,I do have ,like The Ark Royal, from the Sea Hurricane package, and the CVN -69 USS Eisenhower ,which is listed twice,both of which put me in the water. The only way to get on CVN-69 is to go to Florida and find it from there.
I can also end up on the filight deck of HMCS Okanagan @ Vancover.from both the BC Canada page and the ocean flatten files, in the "go to airports page".
I have the Lex world cruise which works fine but the Lex isn't listed in the ocean flatten files but under which ocean it's in.
And yes I have the ocean flatten file above all ships in the scenery libary.
So for right now I just avoid these" go to airport" listings under "carrier" although am curious as to where all these come from and why only a couple put me on the deck of a carrier.
BTW, I found the N3N takes off fine from any other Ocean like in I move it to just off shore off Pensicola, just don't touch the catapult arm switch,it crashes the sim every time.
Oh ya I also have the Alpha Swordfish with it's carrier which works ok and there is one ocean flatten the doesn't have a ships name or location with it ,can'r remember what it's called, but it's near a couple of South Pacific islands with landing strips and I'd kinda like to use that if I could although I do have the Corsair package from SOH with Vella LaVella.
Once again it seems I don't know how to make a short post ,sorry, and if the answer to being able to use these flatten files is too involved then I'll just avoid using the "go to airport" that says "carrier".
Again sorry for the lenght ,I'll go into a corner and shut up now.
'

pfflyers
June 23rd, 2011, 01:21
I also have a number of "extra" carrier flattens installed, which show up with a ship name even though I have never had some of those actual carriers installed.

I am assuming that somewhere along the line I installed a carrier scenery pack that installed more flattens than carriers. Perhaps it was a goof up on the part of the person that uploaded the scenery (whichever it was).

In any case a carrier flatten with no carrier is of no particular use to you, you should just ignore them.

When you want to go to a carrier from your airport list make sure you select the carrier not the carrier flatten.

Mick
June 23rd, 2011, 03:21
Long ago, soon after the need for them was discovered, someone released a big package of carrier flatten files that included flattens for every carrier then known to exist for FS9. If you downloaded and installed the package, that would explain why you have flattens for carriers you don't have.

Those flattens show up on your Go To Airport menu because they are AFCAD files. Each of them is just a big taxiway that sits under the carrier and prevents the carrier's real AFCAD from trying to pull the surrounding water up to flight deck level. That's a bit of a simplified explanation, but the point is that they show up on your menu because they are AFCADs, and all AFCADs show up on the Go To Airport menu. There's no way to prevent it; that's how AFCAD and FS9 work.

Anyway, they aren't airports and were never meant to be used as airports, and there's no reason to try to use them as airports. Just ignore them.

If you want a start point on the water near a carrier, then just make one; don't try to use the flatten file because that's not what it's for, and not what it is.

Rich
June 23rd, 2011, 03:32
Seems to me you have a load of useless AFCADS, a flatten file is a flatten file that flattens the water around a carrier / ship to stop AFCAD pulling the water up to deck level the AFCAD should be for a carrier deck that you can go to if properly set up and the flatten keeps the water down.

Flatten files should not appear in the go to menu.

Over simplified maybe ?

hurricane3
June 23rd, 2011, 06:38
Although I never I never installed a package of carrier flatten files ,at least I have an idea that they came from other carriers that I've installed and to just ignore them.
Boy I must be slipping ,this post is only three lines. Thanks again

awj112
June 23rd, 2011, 08:44
Long ago, soon after the need for them was discovered, someone released a big package of carrier flatten files that included flattens for every carrier then known to exist for FS9. If you downloaded and installed the package, that would explain why you have flattens for carriers you don't have.

Those flattens show up on your Go To Airport menu because they are AFCAD files. Each of them is just a big taxiway that sits under the carrier and prevents the carrier's real AFCAD from trying to pull the surrounding water up to flight deck level. That's a bit of a simplified explanation, but the point is that they show up on your menu because they are AFCADs, and all AFCADs show up on the Go To Airport menu. There's no way to prevent it; that's how AFCAD and FS9 work.

Anyway, they aren't airports and were never meant to be used as airports, and there's no reason to try to use them as airports. Just ignore them.

If you want a start point on the water near a carrier, then just make one; don't try to use the flatten file because that's not what it's for, and not what it is.

Now that has me scratching my head. I have the Carrier 2006 package and while the flatten locations do not appear in the "go to" menu, they do appear as the airport location. May need to take AFX or AFCAD to them.

hurricane3
June 23rd, 2011, 17:17
Since I never downloaded any carrier flatten package , it must have come with one of the other carrier's I downloaded. I'am just going to ignore it . It shows in my "go to airports" list under countries as "carrier".When I downloaded the Pensicola @ CVN-69 ,it said you could find the CVN under CVN in the countries list ,but on my computer you have to go to Florida first and type in CVN 9 (you can't type anymore numbers) but that brings up the Eiesnhower.Go figure.

Mick
June 23rd, 2011, 19:56
Now that has me scratching my head. I have the Carrier 2006 package and while the flatten locations do not appear in the "go to" menu, they do appear as the airport location. May need to take AFX or AFCAD to them.

When I've made carrier flatten files I've filled in the information so they appear on the menu as Not An Airport, Noplace, Nowhere. That adds a country called Nowhere to my drop-down menu of countries, but that doesn't matter; I never have to look at it, so it's not intrusive.

I don't bother to make any changes to other people's flatten files; it's too tedious and I'm too lazy.

hurricane3
June 24th, 2011, 07:28
Thought in passing I saw a "nowhere" in the countries list, but I'am not sure ,either way I'am, ignoreing and flies that plop me in the water in the middle of nowhere. Thanks everyone for the help.