PDA

View Full Version : MAIW releases NAS Patuxent River-works good in FSX

delta_lima
June 20th, 2011, 15:16
I've heard MAIW doesn't work all that well in FSX, or with a bunch of mods, so I've never bothered trying the packages in this sim. But mention of this particular NAS motivated me to try this ... and it works almost perfect!!

The T-38's had black canopies - I guess an indication of it's original design for FS9. But the scenery itself is reason enough to get it. A bit heavy on fps at far distances - am experimenting deleting some of the fence and tree bgls to ease the burden on my 4-year old pc.

John Stinstrom did a superb job, as did the other contributors. One of my dreams since FS9 was for a retro (1950s) era NAS Patuxent and a similar retro KEDW. I'd say the first is pretty much come true, with a little imagination.

Package available here:

http://www.militaryaiworks.com/

dl

Felixthreeone
June 20th, 2011, 15:53
Good to know it works with minimum fuss; I tested it in 9, on my other 'puter, during beta stages. But, on the new rig, i will have to put it in and see what tweaking I have to do in x....

Roadburner440
June 20th, 2011, 17:17
Thank you for putting this up. Seeing as I am about to get transferred to NS Norfolk this gives me something upgraded in the area to check out. Just have to check out what the cause of the black canopies is.

skyhawka4m
June 20th, 2011, 18:20
If I'm not mistaken, IRIS is also working on teir first scenery and I think it was Pax River. but I'm sure with the heath issues right now alot is on hold.

Crusader
June 21st, 2011, 04:19
I converted the MAIW_traffic file to FSX(Using AIFP) and it worked fine after loading the AI aircraft , effects etc . Where I ran into some minor problems was some of the scenery objects were black . I have the MAIW Scenery Objects activated in the Scenery Library . I might double check and make sure I have all the textures(MAIW Scenery Objects) transfered over correctly . Over all it is an excellent package by MAIW . I have always thought John Stinstrom was one of the master scenery designers . I realize this is a FS9 package and not designed for FSX . Any other suggestions welcomed .

Rich

delta_lima
June 21st, 2011, 06:09
that's weird - I don't have any black buildings at all ... odd.

Bone
June 21st, 2011, 06:37
The T-38's had black canopies -
dl

MAIW has a texture for the canopy that goes in the main texture folder, rather than the aircraft texture folder. I forgot the name of it right now, and I'm not home to look at my FSX files. So, if your canopy's are black, then it's missing.

MIKE JG
June 21st, 2011, 14:57
Could be that but from what I've read (I don't have FSX so I can't tell you for sure) the black canopies are a result of the difference between how FSX and FS9 handle alpha channels. Same goes for some scenery textures as well, trees for example.

In FS9, any part of an alpha channel that is 100% white is treated as a solid texture in game. Any part of that alpha channel that is 100% black is completely transparent in game. Using this feature, for example a tree texture will use a black alpha channel to hide everything on the texture sheet that is not part of the tree.

But if you try to use that same texture in FSX, where as I understand it, the black/white relationship alpha channel is exactly the opposite, you will probably not get the desired tree texture.

As far as the canopies go, I think the fix is to flip the alpha channel to its exact opposite value. Again I'm grabbing at straws here.

I do know that since we started giving the canopies a reflective AND transparent appearance, that these type of canopies look normal in FSX.

So it could also be the part material that was used in those early canopies.

More and more of our crew are running both sims so maybe we're slowly migrating that way. We'll see. But don't anyone hold your breath.

FSX handles AI models so much differently than FS9 that we would be throwing away 5+ years of knowledge and experience to make a 100% switch any time soon. And then we'd have to learn all the little nuances of how the FSX AI system works.

Why MS couldn't have left more the AI systems the same between the two sims is beyond me.

BTW, if there's enough interest we can re-compile the T-38 models to make them FSX friendly.

delta_lima
June 21st, 2011, 15:20
BTW, if there's enough interest we can re-compile the T-38 models to make them FSX friendly.

Neh .... don't bother ... :mixedsmi:

I jest. Of course! That would be superb!!! It's a wonderful model that would have wide application - both as a USAF/ USN Talon (NASA, in particular!) and a F-5B substitute, for the wide assortment of NATO and other countries that flew the two-seater.

Yes - that would be great if you'd consider ... many thanks!

dl

thetford569
June 21st, 2011, 16:11
I use the MAIW packages in FSX and every time I install I run the program BMP to DXT3 in the model folders of the AI. This batch converts the textures and I never have a problem with black canopies on the AI or any other texture issues (other than some canopies show clouds in them). I can't remember where I got this program but I'm sure you can search for it. I think that I found it by following the FSX install guide that is referenced at the MAIW website. I pretty much follow that guide with every new package.

Brandon

MIKE JG
June 21st, 2011, 16:41
Alright I'll talk to Kevin Reed, one of the T-38's creators and see what we can do. I thought we had fixed them all but there are actually several different variations of the T-38A's and T-38C's, various mods to their exteriors etc. that we use. Obviously not all of them have been updated.

Bone
June 21st, 2011, 18:17
Could be that but from what I've read (I don't have FSX so I can't tell you for sure) the black canopies are a result of the difference between how FSX and FS9 handle alpha channels. Same goes for some scenery textures as well, trees for example.

As far as the canopies go, I think the fix is to flip the alpha channel to its exact opposite value. Again I'm grabbing at straws here.

I do know that since we started giving the canopies a reflective AND transparent appearance, that these type of canopies look normal in FSX.

Heck yeah it would be great if you recompiled the T-38 for FSX!

The canopy texture file that goes with the T-38C is "MAIW_canopy_smoked", and the T-38A is "refl_texture". At least they're the ones that come with all the other T-38 packages, and so far I haven't had any black canopy issues (I have never used the BMP to DXT3 conversion, either). I haven't tried the Pax River package yet.

usafvet
July 15th, 2011, 09:34
I tried to load the scenery, and most of the buildings are "clear" and still have trees growing out of the taxiways, Any ideas?

usafvet