PDA

View Full Version : MB & AI Bettys: Landing

Moggy
June 20th, 2011, 11:48
Hello everyone:

I'm a former CFS2 hard-core flyer that's recently returned to the fold after a long time away. I have a request that's a bit off-the-wall but I've run into something I can't quite figure out.

I'm starting a long historical campaign covering operations of the IJN 4th Kokutai (Bettys) commencing with their initial rebasing into Rabaul.

I'm familiar with MB. Here's the problem: I can't get the stock G4M2 to land at Vunukanau (or Lakunai or Rapopo, for that matter). Now, I know from years past I've build missions where I had no problems with that plane landing at any bases, including those three. I've done a bit of testing, using updated (flyable) air files and the stock one. No change.

So, I'm figuring that one of three things is the problem:
1. My game (or MB) is corrupted somehow (unlikely)
2. The air files are corrupted (possible)
3. I'm using waypoints that prevent the landings from occurring.

The campaign will use (for AI Bettys, that is) either the stock G4M or the 1% G4M2.

Now, just to complicate things a little more, using a modified air file (essentially halving the pitch, roll and yaw inertia values), I can get the 1% Betty to land at Lakunai and Rapopo, but not Vunukanau.

Note: By "failed landings," what happens is that the plane "bounces" on touchdown, then either noses over or proceeds to taxi normally thereafter.

So here's the request, and I realize at the outset that it's a bit more than many folks would care to spend time figuring out, so thanks in advance for anyone willing to help out:

I've attached a download link to the simple mission I've been using to test landings at Vunukanau, and the air files that I'm using for both the stock G4M2 and the (modified) one for the 1% G4M2:

http://www.4shared.com/file/Ub3taSr2/AI_Betty_Test_Files.html

The file and site are safe, I assure you.

Anyway, I'm wondering if any kind soul would be willing to try to figure out what the problem, as described, is.

Alternatively, if anyone could test the planes (if you have the 1% Betty, of course) in their game, with their current settings, and get either or both to land successfully at Vunukanau, if you could perhaps send me the air files that you're currently using (in the case that mine are corrupted).

Once again, guys, I realize that this may be a bit much, and normally I can figure out these things myself, but for once -- maybe because I've been away for so long -- I have to reach out.

Thanks,

Moggy

Pen32Win
June 20th, 2011, 14:42
Try killing the Flap Lift in section 1101 Primary Airodynamics, in the airfile. Tail Dragger bombers and Flap Lift don't make for good AI Landing behavior.

Desert Rat
June 20th, 2011, 15:00
IIRC AI must have the tailwheel steering angle set to castoring, ie. 180, that might also help, usually contact point 0.

Jamie

Moggy
June 21st, 2011, 08:57
Thanks, guys. Will try & report back.