PDA

View Full Version : Itosan's Lockheed Martin C27J Spartan

racartron
June 20th, 2011, 07:34
AndyG43 is tweaking Itosan's Lockheed Martin C27J Spartan and requested a Shockwave set up. Here is my version. This one was more painful than most, but as Nigel once said, the messier the challenge, the more determined you are to solve it. At least I think Nigel said it.:icon_lol:

Aircraft.cfg entries

[LIGHTS]
//Types: 1=beacon, 2=strobe, 3=navigation, 4=cockpit, 5=landing
//6=taxi light, 7=recognition light, 8=wing light, 9=logo light
// Z, X, Y
light.0=3, -33.63, 0.00, 24.28, fx_shockwave_beacon ,
light.1=4, 28.00, 0.00, 3.00, fx_shockwave_vclight,
light.2=3, 12.01, 0.00, -7.05, fx_shockwave_beacon ,
light.3=4, 28.00, 0.00, 3.00, fx_shockwave_vclight,
light.4=3, 8.46, 45.14, 5.02, fx_shockwave_navgre ,
light.5=3, 8.46, -45.14, 5.02, fx_shockwave_navred ,
light.6=2, 8.46, 45.14, 5.02, fx_shockwave_strobe_2 ,
light.7=2, 8.46, -45.14, 5.02, fx_shockwave_strobe_3 ,
light.8=3, -36.88, 0.00, 5.81, fx_shockwave_navwhi ,
light.9 = 5, 11.60, 27.75, 4.50, fx_Shockwave_landing_light
light.10 = 5, 11.60, -27.75, 4.50, fx_Shockwave_landing_light
light.11 = 6, 28.30, 0.2, -6.70, fx_Shockwave_landing_light_small
light.12 = 6, 28.30, -0.2, -6.70, fx_Shockwave_landing_light_small

Panel.cfg entries

[Vcockpit01]
gaugeXX=shockwave_lights!SW Lights_gear, 1,1,1,1
gaugeXX=shockwave_lights!SW Lights_taxi_gear, 1,1,1,1

Replace "XX" with next numbers at bottom of the list.

AndyG43
June 23rd, 2011, 01:56
Thanks Phil, really appreciate the assistance.

OK, where am I at? With the help of my friend Mr Google I have pulled together a lot of perfomance info & specs, and will be attempting to work on the FDE this weekend.

One of the existing packages out in the wild came with a set of blank textures, which is a great starting point from which to make the required paintkit - Matt, I may be asking for your help & advice on this, when it comes to the arcane art of adding shadows/highlights etc. Currently I am planning to provide a more detailed HAF repaint and an ANG repaint that Obio might appreciate.

For my own testing purposes I have 'borrowed' the sounpack from another aircraft. It works. So rather than reinvent the wheel I may just point you all in that direction - the aircraft it belongs to is pretty damn special anyway, so is worth adding if you haven't got it already.

The panel? Ah, the panel - it would be nice to make it 'photoreal', but I have yet to find a good enough set of pictures to use, so this is unlikely. I do have some pretty thorough references as to the layout & the equipment used; currently I am waiting to hear back from somebody, as I have sought permission to utilise some excellent gauges from another aircraft - if that permission is not given then I will try my best with the default gauges.

Don't expect this to be quick, as I'm learning a lot of new things for this; but it is an interesting aircraft in the real world, and Itosan's rendition deserves the tlc needed to reproduce this in game.

Matt Wynn
June 23rd, 2011, 07:11
Andy gimme a few days and i'll whip up a set of C-27J masters for you :salute: might even tackle the Greek one myself... y'know, just as i have the contacts with Ramp access to the things lol :icon_lol: still not heard from an Avionics Tech in the PA, but will keep trying for you on that front :salute:

AndyG43
June 23rd, 2011, 07:23
A very kind offer Matt, thank you. Like I said, there are some blank textures in one of the existing packs, which I was going to use as the basis - I'll email that one over to you at some point tonight. But don't let it distract you from the more important tasks like Phantoms, Tempests ..... oh yes, and job- and house-hunting. :guinness:

Matt Wynn
June 23rd, 2011, 07:27
right now i could do with a welcome distraction :icon_lol: C-27J textures may just be what the Doctor ordered, besides it's flat grey with 'Ellhnikh Polemikh Aeroporia' on one side and 'Hellenic Air Force' on the other, all of a days work tops once i have a master texture template done, just hunting the model down now so i can set to work before i go out again later... what a thrilling life i lead, went round a female friends and ended up helping her dye her hair, oh what a thrilling life.... personal ...---... time... HEEEELP! distraction needed...... :icon_lol:

Matt Wynn
June 23rd, 2011, 08:22
Andy, these may be of some use, found while i was hunting a walkaround:

AndyG43
June 23rd, 2011, 12:39
Thanks Matt, they're certainly better than anything I'd found to date. I've just emailed you the blank textures btw.

Dyeing hair, wow, living life on the edge!!

Matt Wynn
June 23rd, 2011, 13:40
the crazy things you do when young... :icon_lol:, coulda gone down the local pub with this girl tonight but just for you guys i feigned a headache to do C-27J work... Karma wouldn't dare retaliate, i'm helping others :icon_lol:

AndyG43
June 23rd, 2011, 13:53
the crazy things you do when young... :icon_lol:, coulda gone down the local pub with this girl tonight but just for you guys i feigned a headache to do C-27J work... Karma wouldn't dare retaliate, i'm helping others :icon_lol:

Good lord, get yourself down that pub immediately!!!!

Matt Wynn
June 23rd, 2011, 14:16
got all i need right here buddy, few bottles of Mythos, classic FM and Photoshop... good night in :icon_lol: besides this girl knows i place 'work' above all else... kinda a bonus :icon_lol:

Matt Wynn
June 23rd, 2011, 14:55
ok and before i head to bed any moment, here's how she stands at present.... shadowing on, optional on paintkit, Hellenic Markings starting to go on, prop textures WIP and panel lines redrawn.... starting to shape up now, still got a list as long as my forearm i wrote down of all the things yet to do...

AndyG43
June 23rd, 2011, 15:02
Looking good Matt. The prop textures were on my todo list, they definitely need replacing.

This weekend I tackle the arcane subject of flight dynamics - the odd noise you may hear will be screaming from Sarf London. The panel is still on hold, as I am wiating to see if my request is successful - rather not have to do the job twice, if I can avoid it.

Matt Wynn
June 23rd, 2011, 15:05
ok will dig my 'cans' out for this weekend, i'm sure i'll hear you cursing at it from the Midlands.... yeah the prop-disc is on my to-do list, anyone fancy adding some wingtip vortices while we're plugging away at the other bits ? :icon_lol:

Matt Wynn
June 25th, 2011, 03:07
just a small update, while i continue to work on the F-4E... some shadowing added along with metal bits on the engines, still a long way to go but we're getting there :salute:

AndyG43
June 25th, 2011, 03:21
Looking nice Matt. :applause:

I'm sat here surrounded by the European paper mountain - enough reference material on the Spartan to sink a battleship - and trying to bring the flight dynamics up to a more reasonable standard. :isadizzy:

nigel richards
June 25th, 2011, 03:27
Hmmmmm....interesting aircraft!

(icon:Smoothie's now internationally acclaimed, embarrassed cough:icon) What does this ship SOUND like?????

Matt Wynn
June 25th, 2011, 03:37
sounds like a blender/hairdryer combination :icon_lol::icon_lol: but boy... talk about manouverable!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZHt4q_NUgQE

AndyG43
June 25th, 2011, 03:43
Hmmmmm....interesting aircraft!

(icon:Smoothie's now internationally acclaimed, embarrassed cough:icon) What does this ship SOUND like?????

Well, my test ship currently sounds like the BSMP Saab 2000, on the basis that they both use the Rolls-Royce AE 2100 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rolls-Royce_AE_2100)(albeit different models) & I'm having enough 'fun' learning how to do FDE's and update panels. But it probably sounds more like a twin engined C-130J - are you offering a little assistance Nigel? :wavey:

AndyG43
June 25th, 2011, 03:53
but boy... talk about manouverable!

The G-222 was pretty lively as well, I remember seeing it displayed at Cottesmore and Fairford a few times, the display pilot was putting some of the fighter displays to shame; and as the C-27J us, in effect, a more powerful version then the displays are potentially even more exciting.....

At that same Fairford they gave us a quote from the RAF Jaguar display pilot - when asked if he thought he could emulate the MiG 29 'Cobra' manouver his answer was "Yes - once"! And there were some pretty impressive displays that year; the G222 was followed by a Wessex display - you could hear the yawn from the crowd "oh, this is going to be tame ....... it wasn't!!! THAT pilot was doing Lynx style displays in a yellow RAF sar Wessex - for some reason he could never get any other crew members to fly with him when he was displaying!!

AndyG43
June 30th, 2011, 23:20
OK, quick update. My learning curve has been steeper than an EE Lightning take off, but I'm starting to get a grip on the basics of FDE adjustment. My C-27J no longer wants to go at Convair 990 speeds, but the performance still needs a LOT of tweaking; take off is a little too long, but the climb and accelleration seem a lot more realistic. Manouevering is totally off, I need to do a lot more work on that sort of thing - busy weekend coming up methinks!

Matt Wynn
July 1st, 2011, 04:40
Andy, i have the Polemikh Aepororia paint finished, will send it to you at some point today.... :salute:, then upload later on...

AndyG43
July 1st, 2011, 05:05
Andy, i have the Polemikh Aepororia paint finished, will send it to you at some point today.... :salute:, then upload later on...

Matt, you are a star!!!

Matt Wynn
July 1st, 2011, 07:41
i think it sent earlier, you received anything in your e-mail inbox yet? :salute:

AndyG43
July 1st, 2011, 07:42
i think it sent earlier, you received anything in your e-mail inbox yet? :salute:

Yep, got it thanks. I'm at work now, but will install when I get home.

OBIO
July 1st, 2011, 19:41
I see, and hear, the C-27J nearly every day. I am surprised by how quite the plane is. Yes, it makes noise, but nothing on the level of the C-130Es that the 179th used to have. Not nearly as nice sounding to my ears. I miss the way the Hercs used to rattle my entire house when they did low level fly overs...especially when they were in a 3 or 4 plane group. So far, I have only seen the Spartans singly...not formation flying at all.

OBIO

CG_1976
July 1st, 2011, 21:27
And to think the USCG went Casa:banghead::banghead: or HC144. Beautiful work:salute:

Matt Wynn
July 4th, 2011, 06:05
ok just to give you guys a SITREP as to what i'm up to on this, Ohio ANG Paint is WIP, Hellenic is Complete, planned are USCG and Canadian Rescue, as i complete them i'll be Firing them over to Andy, that way when he's done the FDE and Panel you'll have a nice C-27J with a few textures, yes Andy that means you can include my textures with your release :salute:

back to my paint Hangar (which at this rate needs expanding), and time to get the coveralls and respirator on :icon_lol:

AndyG43
July 4th, 2011, 06:30
Update needed from me as well then I guess!!

The FDE has moved on a little, climb, takeoff, ceiling etc seem about right, but she is still not turning like she ought to; obviously I'm missing something fundamental, so I'm digging through my references to double check some figures.

The panel - I've given up on the idea of 'photoreal', on the basis that every single photo I can find has the control yoke in the way!!! I've now prepped a decent bitmap, and I'm trying out combinations of gauges to get the right look; Bob May has kindly given his permission to use the PAD gauges from the C-130J for some of it, and the rest will be a combination of third party & default gauges.

Matt's Hellenic AF repaint is very nice btw, thanks mate.

Matt Wynn
July 4th, 2011, 07:04
Andy if i recall the C-27J is pretty much a C-130J cockpit just a bit smaller, most of the gauges are the same, idea was as i recall that crews could be trained quicker between types and even have a dual mil type rating... as for turn rate, you upped the aileron effectiveness in the .cfg buddy?

and thanks, Ohio ANG one is on hold for when Tim sends me his piccies :icon_lol:

AndyG43
July 4th, 2011, 07:17
Yeah, that was my reasoning for contacting Bob, seemed to make sense to try to match as much as possible; obviously the EICAS in the Herc is for 4 engines, so an alternative is needed (Bob suggested that from their lovely Casa 295, but I've also got another one I'm trying) - it's just finding the time to do these things, a feeling I'm sure you know well!!

Did you get the file I sent yesterday btw?

CG_1976
July 4th, 2011, 07:39
USCG C27 sounds excellent and very appreciated. Might I ask if you could on the USCG one make a minor Req to add Traverse City CGAS unit to the paint please. Mobile always gets the fun with Elizabeth City and us poor Dist nine gets thrown in the cold lolol

Matt Wynn
July 4th, 2011, 08:40
consider it done 'Charlie-Golf', gonna plonk it on the nose, already getting there with the USCG paint, with a bit of fiddling about, starting to look the part now :salute:

Astoroth
October 6th, 2011, 21:40
So, did anything ever come out of this project? Just wondering...

AndyG43
October 7th, 2011, 01:29
Yes, sorry, keep getting sidetracked. :kilroy:

I never could find a decent picture to use for the panel, so I'm making something from scratch - but every time I open up Photoshop I end up working on something else (the recent Hunters, for example). It will happen, bear with me.