PDA

View Full Version : Holey Scenery in Fs2002 Standard.

ChristopherT
June 19th, 2011, 18:26
Are there are scenery holes in FS2002 Standard (Full Install), or other areas where Microsoft may have decided that full scenery wasn't needed? I was flying out of Bismarck, North Dakota headed North toward the Garrison Res. when I noticed the usual Auto-Gen scenery had been replaced by a fuzzy (unfocused) green texture. There were buildings and trees down there but the land itself looked flat. I tried to
slew out of the area and I couldn't find anywhere where it stopped except south, back toward Bismarck. I know you can't fly the Poles for the obvious reason, but I didn't
expect the Bermuda Triangle inside the CONUS. :wavey:

Thanks!

Christopher Tarana

Desert Rat
June 21st, 2011, 14:12
no idea Chris, I have never had FS2002, straight from CFS2 to FS9 for me. There are some guys that went that route, some of them continued to FSX, might be an avenue to explore?

Jamie

ChristopherT
June 21st, 2011, 16:23
I flew south from Minot, North Dakota for a little while and it looked okay. I'm just going to keep exploring the area around there until I get a sense of what FS2k2 is up to. :applause: I recall back in FS98 if you came up to Las Vegas from the west everything looked great. Coming up from the east and sometimes the mountains would hold the scenery until the city snapped into place. :icon29:

Thanks!

Christopher Tarana

Astoroth
June 21st, 2011, 23:04
As far as I remember from my fs2002 days, it was full coverage just like 2004, just not as detailed. I always compared the two by saying that 2002 was the rough draft, and 2004 was the finished product.

If I remember correctly, there were 2 patches that were released for 2002, I think they are on simviation. Do you have those patches? Might have been part of what they were for, dunno for sure, can't remember back that far, lol.

ChristopherT
June 22nd, 2011, 17:20
I wasn't aware of any patches, though I can check out Simviation the next time I'm up there. I just found out that the CFS2 version of Bill Rambow's R4D works awesome in FS2002 if you do a manual install. The base aircraft has some issues with the tail wheel touch down points but the included CFS2 C-47 model works great! :salute: The panel works great and so do the sound files. I FINALLY have all my FS2002 DC-2 and DC-3 cockpits looking and sounding as good as my FS98 ones! :applause: Tonight I'm looking for a DC-5 panel for FS2002, or I'll sneak in my new DC-3 one. (DC-5's had the throttles on the roof!)

ChristopherT

Astoroth
June 22nd, 2011, 22:55
My bad, the two patches I was thinking of were for FS2000, not 2002, sorry about that!

ChristopherT
June 23rd, 2011, 15:04
My bad, the two patches I was thinking of were for FS2000, not 2002, sorry about that!

:icon_lol:

pfflyers
June 24th, 2011, 11:34
I had a similar problem in FS9 where a certain small spot of scenery (maybe one or two bitmaps, tiles, or whatever they're called) would refuse to load above the fuzzy green stage.

It was particularly annoying because it was near one of my favorite airports (naturally, otherwise I might never have seen it). Anyway a couple of reinstalls back the problem went away.

Don't have any idea what caused it or fixed it, but it seemed to be related to the mips or LODs or some such.

ChristopherT
June 24th, 2011, 13:46
I had a similar problem in FS9 where a certain small spot of scenery (maybe one or two bitmaps, tiles, or whatever they're called) would refuse to load above the fuzzy green stage.

Don't have any idea what caused it or fixed it, but it seemed to be related to the mips
or LODs or some such.

Well, I go to North Dakota about as often as I chew cat food! :icon_lol: At this point, I'm not going to reinstall FS2002 a third time! I told my son to avoid the area and I'll
keep poking at it occasionally. :applause: We are from CNY and living as ex-pats in Southern Indiana, but I try to fly FS2002 or FS98 in areas we've never been to!

Thanks, pfflyers! :salute:

ChristopherT