PDA

View Full Version : Alpha/Virtavia F-4B/J,

Duckie
June 19th, 2011, 15:01
an updated paintkit, and lots of as yet undone paints of US Navy/Marine F-4B/Js (Ns and Ss too).

Some WIP shots of my first -- a VMFA - 351 F-4B NAS Atlanta circa 1976. Still lots to do but here's a peek.

modelr
June 19th, 2011, 19:57
MMMMM, be watching for these, Duckie. :applause:

nigel richards
June 19th, 2011, 21:21
Ooowwee! ...looks like we're in for some mouthwatering Toons!

...just loving it :jump: Great stuff Duckie!

expat
June 20th, 2011, 00:42
Great! Can't wait for these. Can't have enough USN/USMC paints for the AS F-4.

Duckie
July 4th, 2011, 19:30
Latest WIP...FINALLY! Whew! Here are a few shots of the VMFA-351 bird. Exterior is complete and will begin working on the alpha's next week.

Wild Bill Kelso
July 4th, 2011, 23:06
Wo-hoooo!
Great stuff there, mate! :applause:

Any plans to revamp the "E/F" model (pack 2) too?
There're some German Fighter Wings longing for appropriate skins... :jump:

Cheers,
Markus.

expat
July 5th, 2011, 01:20
Am going to enjoy that NAS Atlanta bird + will want to do some TNG's over at nearby KNBC etc. That tail paint scheme was also similar to that of an RA-5C squadron based at Atlanta I think.

Any intention to "dirty up" the look e.g., with grease marks or weathering effects?

Duckie
July 5th, 2011, 04:12
Thanks Markus and expat.

Markus - I've given some thought to re-do the F-4E/Fs but it may be awhile if I do. The Cloud 9 bird has that covered pretty well. If I re-do another the near future it would be the RF. I have a couple of former RF driver friends who are intersted in a couple of VMFP-2 and 3 birds. If I can get the stock paintkit to look as good as you made those German Fs look I may even skip that.

expat - I probably won't skuzzie up that Atlanta bird any more than it is for a couple for reasons. During the time it flew I had relatively easy acess (through proper chanels) to Dobbins AFB/ NAS Atlanta and I can tell you that the Jarheads and Swabbies took very good care of their birds. Secondly, the Marines only had their F-4s for about a year before they were taken away (rumor has it for terroriziing the commercial approaches to KATL by stalking and tracking the big jets for "training"! !) and swapped for OV-10s. So, even if they weren't treated with TLC, the Marines didn't have 'em long enough to get 'em dirty! BTW - I don't think RA-5's were ever based in Atlanta - at least not on the ground. On paper? Maybe. NAS went from A-4s to A-7s to A and KA-6s to FA-18s

Not to worry though. Lots more birds to do from the late 60's early 70's that saw plenty of action and didn't have time to get washed between sorties!.

Wild Bill Kelso
July 5th, 2011, 06:52
...If I can get the stock paintkit to look as good as you made those German Fs look I may even skip that.

Thanks, mate - but I did German RFs (pack 3) yet.
The fighters still are on hold.
But I've just found out that pack 1 (F-4B/J) and pack 2 (F-4E/F) share the same mapping. Would there be any chance for me to get hold of your (obviously gorgeous!) paint kit "as is" to apply it to the E/F-model (German paints only - the US NAVY stays yours)?

Cheers,
Markus.

Duckie
July 5th, 2011, 07:18
Thanks, mate - but I did German RFs (pack 3) yet..

OOPS! My bad.

The fighters still are on hold.
But I've just found out that pack 1 (F-4B/J) and pack 2 (F-4E/F) share the same mapping. Would there be any chance for me to get hold of your (obviously gorgeous!) paint kit "as is" to apply it to the E/F-model (German paints only - the US NAVY stays yours)?

Cheers,
Markus.

Check your PM after a bit.

Steve

expat
July 5th, 2011, 07:46
BTW - I don't think RA-5's were ever based in Atlanta

You are right. Was mixing it up with NAS Albany, Georgia (Turner AFB).

http://www.markstyling.com/RA-5C/RA-5C.cu.10a.jpg

184SFS
July 5th, 2011, 14:39
This looks sweet, wish the F-4C/D looks just as good.

nigel richards
July 7th, 2011, 04:22
:salute: Very much looking forward to some downloadale goodies, Duckie.

Hang in there!

fxsttcb
August 19th, 2011, 14:56
Sorry for the bump, but, my Lord! I put this paint on my FSX plane, and in a word...
Superlative!
I wish my VMFA-251 version looked half this good...Thank You, Sir!...Don

Blackbird686
August 19th, 2011, 16:52
She's a beauty, Duckie... Looking forward to being able to fly her! Found it, downloading as we speak. How did I miss this one??

BB686:USA-flag:

Duckie
August 19th, 2011, 17:26
Thanks Don and BB686. Really glad you like it. :salute: Stay tuned for more.

Steve

fxsttcb
August 20th, 2011, 03:39
Hey, Duckie! I just noticed a mention of a Pack 1/2 paint kit. Available?
"Fightertown East" F-4 Sqdns from the early-mid '70s would be awesome to have.
I was TDY VMFA-333, then permanent VMFA-251(my avatar) and VMFA-122 successively. VMFA-312 and VMFA-451 were also on station at that time.

Thanks again...Don

nigel richards
August 20th, 2011, 05:38
:salute: Well done Steve!

I've finally D/L'ed the F-4J_VF-41_Textures set!

Cripes a'mighty, thets one heck of a texture masterpiece if ever I saw one.

The detail!!! :applause::applause::applause:

Duckie
August 20th, 2011, 06:26
Hey, Duckie! I just noticed a mention of a Pack 1/2 paint kit. Available?
"Fightertown East" F-4 Sqdns from the early-mid '70s would be awesome to have.
I was TDY VMFA-333, then permanent VMFA-251(my avatar) and VMFA-122 successively. VMFA-312 and VMFA-451 were also on station at that time.

Thanks again...Don

Hi Don, several 251 F-4s are on the list, and if you haven't seen them, look up Gus Robatto at Flight Sim and Avsim for his repaints of VMFA-333. This repaint is the one that lit my fire on the A/V F-4s!

nigel richards
awesome textures

Well done Steve!

I've finally D/L'ed the F-4J_VF-41_Textures set!

Cripes a'mighty, thets one heck of a texture masterpiece if ever I saw one.

The detail!!!

Thanks very much Nigel.