PDA

View Full Version : Scenery flatten problem

aeromed202
June 16th, 2011, 12:24
I once had a nice little ficticious scenery called Mt. St. Helena, South Field (MtStHelena.zip). Now it is fairly wrecked by intruding mesh and trees that make it practically un-visitable. I don't know when the change happened and I have unchecked all addon sceneries in the area, plus Rhumbys mesh to no avail. I can't say if adding GE had anything to do with it, it was that long ago I think I last flew there. I'm thinking a flatten file may fix this but am ignorant about those so I don't know if that's realistic. Does anyone have this scenery?

Desert Rat
June 16th, 2011, 13:14
sorry matey, don't have it and not sure if I could even help if I did. Maybe one of the scenery guys knows more about flattens, etc.

Dangerousdave26
June 16th, 2011, 13:18
Before you attempt a flatten try moving the scenery to the top of your scenery list if you have not already.

aeromed202
June 16th, 2011, 18:42
It's up at the top but still looks like earth movers went amock. It's made by Stephen Read and I'm trying to track him down at HoverControl.

hawkeye52
June 16th, 2011, 18:56
An exclude, perhaps?

- H52

nigel richards
June 16th, 2011, 22:36
I once had a nice little ficticious scenery called Mt. St. Helena, South Field (MtStHelena.zip). Now it is fairly wrecked by intruding mesh and trees that make it practically un-visitable. I don't know when the change happened and I have unchecked all addon sceneries in the area, plus Rhumbys mesh to no avail. I can't say if adding GE had anything to do with it, it was that long ago I think I last flew there. I'm thinking a flatten file may fix this but am ignorant about those so I don't know if that's realistic. Does anyone have this scenery?

I hope this might help aeromed202...exactly the same happened to me a while back when I installed 'Mr. Someones' scenery pack.

The problem wasn't immediately obvious either;
About a month after installing I went to one of my old favourite airports, after a long break;
HORROR!!! Who T..F..H.. sent in the demolition guys without first asking MOD or me?
The airport is RAF Lyneham, an old haunt of mine, reduced to rubble:jawdrop: and boy was I seething!!!

When I eventually calmed down, I started re-tracing things I had installed, removed or altered...that's it; altered !!!

When installing 'Mr. Someones' scenery I suddenly remembered being casually instructed to make changes to :TERRAIN_MAX_VERTEX_LEVEL=21 instead of 19 in the main fs9 CFG file.

I changed back to TERRAIN_MAX_VERTEX_LEVEL=19 and hey presto, RAF Lyneham returned to normal duties.

Motormouse
June 17th, 2011, 04:28
for a quick; flatten area; a little utility called 'FST Flatten'
does what it says on the tin.

http://home.earthlink.net/~smgreenwood/flatten.shtml (http://home.earthlink.net/~smgreenwood/flatten.shtml)

http://home.earthlink.net/~smgreenwo...tutilities.zip (http://home.earthlink.net/~smgreenwood/downloads/fstutilities.zip)

ttfn

Pete

aeromed202
June 17th, 2011, 09:47
I already tried the vertex number, but as there were also autogen trees all over, I didn't think that would be the fix. I don't know what's up at HC, I can't post anything to get hold of Stephen so I think I'll try the flatten/exclude thingy.

aeromed202
June 17th, 2011, 10:59
Later on..

Well, this has promise. I like a view as much as the next guy but I get the willies up here. Seems I now have a better notion of what distance units the software uses. The process continues. That would be St. Helens back there.

Desert Rat
June 17th, 2011, 11:06
Ay carumba!! Did you use miles instead of metres? That's a substantial altitude!!

Jamie

aeromed202
June 17th, 2011, 12:23
Well I didn't, but it did. The second try was much better, but I still have trees in the way. I remember hearing that they are hard or impossible to get rid of, but I also have seen files that say they get rid of trees. How about a lumberjack batch file? Still, I hope the flatten software will also get rid of mega 7000' mesas in Florida left from the mesh I use.

Tom Clayton
June 17th, 2011, 20:14
Need trees removed, just ask anyone over at TVA and they'll tell you there's no trees around any aproach I make - at least not after I've mowed 'em down! :kilroy:

Take a look at this - it may help:
http://library.avsim.net/search.php?SearchTerm=ExcBuilderV2.zip

aeromed202
June 20th, 2011, 16:21
I've tried a bunch of programs (that all say easy to use) without success. I'm freely admit I'm not fluent with many programs but they all proved too perplexing to work with for me. Is tree removal really this difficult?

Terry
June 21st, 2011, 03:08
I've tried a bunch of programs (that all say easy to use) without success. I'm freely admit I'm not fluent with many programs but they all proved too perplexing to work with for me. Is tree removal really this difficult?

You may be able to get by with just a reduction on autogen slider. When you use exclude builder to remove trees have the autogen slider maxed out or you won't get them all. Also if you are using UT, exclude builder won't work on those trees as they are installed as effects.

aeromed202
June 21st, 2011, 04:39
Yeah, I thought UT or GE might be the reason. It's certainly not worth it to stop using those. Oh well, as George Carlin once said "...you can't have everything, where would you put it?"