PDA

View Full Version : Vintage radio question

dhasdell
December 8th, 2008, 07:42
Some of A F Scrub's inter-war types such as the Boeing F2B-2 and Gloster Grebe include a neat little vintage radio pop-up called, I think, PW-9!radio_popup. Presumably it can be tuned like the radio in Bill Lyons' Sikorsky S-43, but can someone please tell me how?
:banghead:

PutPut
December 8th, 2008, 08:56
Hi, the picture shows the default FS9 Lockheed_Vega radio. It is mouse tunable with the knobs across the bottom if it has been correctly installed in the panel .cfg. I have successfully used this radio on several vintage aircraft projects, including a few in FSX. (I just tried it again in my recent Potez 540 and it works just fine).

Cheers, Paul

Lionheart
December 8th, 2008, 09:00
Some of A F Scrub's inter-war types such as the Boeing F2B-2 and Gloster Grebe include a neat little vintage radio pop-up called, I think, PW-9!radio_popup. Presumably it can be tuned like the radio in Bill Lyons' Sikorsky S-43, but can someone please tell me how?
:banghead:

Hey DHasdell,

I know about nothing on this, but Bill Leaming, alias N4Gix is pretty big on the knowledge of the vintage radio systems from that era. He had done one for the Bellanca Junior way back when. The one my bird used was the GE Radiofone which came stock in early Bellanca's. The system was based on AM band radio frequencies. But I have no idea on the details of how it was used. I believe it was a reciever only and also made a varied sound as one aproached or departed an airfield that was set up with that system.

Hopefully Bill Leaming or someone more knowledgeable on this will voice up.

Bill

dhasdell
December 8th, 2008, 20:55
Thank you. I can move the knobs with the mouse, but what am I tuning it to? I thought it would be music already on my drive. How do I assign it?

Willy
December 8th, 2008, 22:51
Looks to me like the Nav radio that comes with the default Vega. No music, just ADF direction finder picking up NDB frequencies.

Moparmike
December 9th, 2008, 05:05
Yup, the original post shows the default Vega radio or a copy of it. It's used to tune in NDBs.

Since the ADF system overlaps the same frequency band as AM broadcast radio and recievers have a speaker to recieve the morse code identification stream, an old trick was to use the ADF radio to tune into AM radio stations to hear the voice transmission and I believe you could also DF with the voice transmitters like you would an NDB beacon transmitter if they were strong enough.

pfflyers
December 9th, 2008, 07:10
On Dec 7, 1941 the IJN attack squadrons used the Honalulu radio station that way to help guide them to Pearl Harbor.

dhasdell
December 10th, 2008, 06:54
Thank you for those answers. It seems I was mistaking the purpose of the gauge. As I've said, when I came across it I assumed that it was intended to provide a little in-flight entertainment.
:wavey:

srgalahad
December 10th, 2008, 15:37
Other than having a hula-dancing flight attendant, you might want to check this out
http://www.flightsim.com/cgi/kdl/main/51/radiocd4.zip?2oM7S00E
FS2002/FS2004 Gauge--AM/FM Radio CD Player. A simulated 12 channel push button AM/FM radio for playback of music, recorded broadcasts and the like for ambiance and general entertainment while flying. MP3/WMA/WAV/MID file playback, using DirectShow technology. Unit also controls audio CD player playback from within the cockpit. New features allow users to right click channel presets to program up to 12 songs using a Windows common dialog interface. By R.L. Clark.

or this one:
http://www.flightsim.com/cgi/kdl/main/58/fsmusplr.zip?2oM7S00E
FS2004 FS Music Player. A kneeboard utility for people who love music and want to listen to it during flight. By Steven Logiudice. (BTW, he was 14 when he wrote and uploaded this one)
I haven't tried either one so can make no comments about FPS hits or functionality

Rob

dogknot
December 10th, 2008, 15:56
Other than having a hula-dancing flight attendant, you might want to check this out
http://www.flightsim.com/cgi/kdl/main/51/radiocd4.zip?2oM7S00E
FS2002/FS2004 Gauge--AM/FM Radio CD Player. A simulated 12 channel push button AM/FM radio for playback of music, recorded broadcasts and the like for ambiance and general entertainment while flying. MP3/WMA/WAV/MID file playback, using DirectShow technology. Unit also controls audio CD player playback from within the cockpit. New features allow users to right click channel presets to program up to 12 songs using a Windows common dialog interface. By R.L. Clark.

or this one:
http://www.flightsim.com/cgi/kdl/main/58/fsmusplr.zip?2oM7S00E
FS2004 FS Music Player. A kneeboard utility for people who love music and want to listen to it during flight. By Steven Logiudice. (BTW, he was 14 when he wrote and uploaded this one)
I haven't tried either one so can make no comments about FPS hits or functionality

Rob

The AM/FM/CD player by R.L. Clark works great. I've used it for ages in many of my aircraft panels. No frame hits that I have ever noticed.

Willy
December 10th, 2008, 16:14
I'll second it on the one by RL Clark. I've used it for a few years now and call it the "8-track". Any plane that I'm going to be flying much has it installed as a popup.

On my 6 year old comp, the Radio/CD player can cause a frame hit if the ATC is running hot and heavy, if there's a lot of AI about or a bunch of clouds, but those can cause frame problems by themselves at times. It also helps if your music that you've got it programmed to is on a different HD than FS. I've got FS on my C drive and my music on my D drive. If you're just listening to Cds on it, then you don't have to worry about that.

Can't say enough good about it for folks that like to have some tunes playing while they fly.