PDA

View Full Version : Up the Long Ladder

Drzook
June 11th, 2011, 11:55
Well, after nearly three years I did the unthinkable...I uninstalled and reinstalled FS2004. This actually marks the first time I did this without a hard drive crashing, although there seemed to be some ground texture issues that were driving me stark raving mad. I knew there would be some work involved getting it to where I like it, but I didn't realize there were so many details...for instance I saved some of my favorite planes...but had erased the effects folder and the gauges so I had to scour the Web several times today (thank you Hinch for the Airhead Super Deke!!). Already got the SilverWings installed; there are a few other things I will be looking at (the HD clouds for instance). So here's hoping for a leaner, cleaner FS2004. I got a long road ahead; I'm just going to say thanks in advance to all you guys for the advice collected over the years.:ernae:

Desert Rat
June 11th, 2011, 15:05
I feel your pain, my climb started a long time ago, haven't made it far. I seriously considered a stock install for a while, lol. One day I'll get back to the old heights.

Jamie

Wing_Z
June 11th, 2011, 16:57
Yeah...there comes a time...
I keep a 100% operational backup on an external drive which never sees the internet.
It is quicker when you can just dip in and salvage a gauge or texture from there.

nigel richards
June 13th, 2011, 12:02
...for instance I saved some of my favorite planes...but had erased the effects folder and the gauges so I had to scour the Web several times today

Try my simple philosophy; apart from obvious trash or suspect material, I have stored every single file download made since 2007. Whenever I make a new download first the file is checked, stored in a dated folder, then tested.
Yep, that's quite a hefty collection of gigas, but I always have the capability of rebuilding fairly quickly without having to remember where and what I have downloaded.
I suppose I'm a natural hoarder, but it pays off! :salute:

aeromed202
June 13th, 2011, 13:31
For what it's worth I keep updated copies of gauges, effects and textures, addon textures (for EZ-scenery, nova gold, etc), flights, ENB data and aircraft, basically anything that is subject to changes. I used to keep copies of main texture, all addon sceneries and some others but each of those contain processes as well as discreet files. The final products after working to re-create these for a reinstall just can't be copied and pasted into place, so I don't have those anymore. I do, however, have zip copies of every DL which has come to the rescue countless times. If ever a site gets hacked I could easily re-stock a great deal of their shelves.

hawkeye52
June 13th, 2011, 18:36
Whenever I make a new download first the file is checked, stored in a dated folder, then tested. ....I always have the capability of rebuilding fairly quickly without having to remember where and what I have downloaded.
I suppose I'm a natural hoarder, but it pays off! :salute:

"I do, however, have zip copies of every DL..." - aeromed202

Ditto on both counts. Yes, I go to a lot of trouble, but it's in my nature to "take the time".

- H52