PDA

View Full Version : DEnver Co. Red Rocks or Air Museum?

gigabyte
June 7th, 2011, 16:42
Is there anyone here from or familiar with the Denver Co. area and the attractions close by? I am heading there for a couple of days at the end of the month and have been looking over the attractions, I see an Air / Space museum listed and I am interested in the Red Rocks park, but I am not sure I will have time for both.

I get in around 10:00 AM on a Friday and have the rest of that day then maybe a few hours on Sunday afternoon, but that is about all my free time. I would love to hear from anyone who lives or has lived in the area that can give me some feed back. I am open to just about anything, other than sports and flowers but Aviation is pretty high on my list of fun things to do...

Cag40Navy
June 7th, 2011, 16:52
The air museum is pretty good, of course, there is always the stuff downtown and what not. Plenty of good stuff in Denver to do.

mfitch
June 7th, 2011, 17:00
So far I have not visited the museum on my visits to Denver. Red Rocks is an interesting place and an easy outdoor activity. Of course if the weather is bad this would not be any fun.

Jagdflieger
June 7th, 2011, 17:12
I was back in Denver for a military reunion several years ago, but in reality, its been many years since I've really done anything there.

Let me think:

I have some good memories of Creadence Clearwater Revival at Red Rocks Park and some other big bands circa the mid to late 60s.

If you are into geology, then the Morrison Formation in all its glory is near the Red Rocks and gives its name (or vica versa) to the little town of Morrison near by. It forms what the locals call the "Hog Back" just prior to the foot hills of the Rockies. Its brightly colored bands of sediment from the Jurasic Period hide all sorts of skeletons from the age of the Dinosaurs.

If you like beer, then tour the Coors Brewery, also near Red Rocks, in Golden.

Denver used to have a couple of big military bases (Fitzimmons Army Hospital and Lowry Air Force Base) but they have gone the way of the dinosaurs in the Morrison Formation.

Up on Lookout Mountain is Buffalo Bill Cody's grave and museum. It also gives you a good panoramic view of the Denver area and is also in the vicinity of Red Rocks.

If you have time, you can drive west up to Mount Evens for a good exposure to the Rocky Mountains, high altitude and cool temperatures in the summer.

The Denver Museum of Natural History is a must see museum and it is located next to the Denver Zoo. Both attractions are well worth visiting.

I'll tax my brain and see if I can remember any other worth while sights before you go.

gigabyte
June 7th, 2011, 17:31
Thanks so much, I can see I will have no problem filling the time, I was thinking of renting a car so I can get around on my own, but I will see about that. The Air Museum I was looking at is at the old Lowery base and is only about 12 miles from where I am staying so it likely an easy choice.

The Museum of Natural History sounds good to, I believe they have a National Geographic exhibit on Pirates there starting on the 11th, and coming from a port city with a long history of Privateers that is an easy choice to... Decisions, Decisions, well I won't be bored that is for sure :icon_lol:

SpitXIV
June 7th, 2011, 21:20
When you get there, go to the Chamber of Commerce and ask for a map of
the sites to visit I'm fairly sure they can help you. Have a nice trip. My uncle lived there for several
yrs while working for Martin-Marietta. Take some chapstick too, otherwise your lips will
Chap big time!

luckydog
June 7th, 2011, 21:50
Red Rocks

papab
June 8th, 2011, 02:49
Air Force Academy in Colorado Springs-about an hours drive South of Denver
Well worth the trip!

You can also take the cog train up to the top of Pikes Peak when your in Colorado Springs
Another great trip!

Rick

muletrain
June 8th, 2011, 16:59
I've been there in the recent past and the Air Museum is worth seeing..not outstanding though. Red Rocks is also adequate but is mainly a beautiful outdoor theater. Coors brewery is great idea. Museum of natural history is mighty fine. So is the zoo and the downtown aquarium...depending on your druthers. Buckley AFB out east of town might have some aeroplanes too! Depends on what you like, eh?

Cherry Creek Mall is nice and there is a place close by there called the Cherry Cricket. A hamburger place and bar...decent food!