PDA

View Full Version : Virtavia C-17 Globemaster III is OUT!!!

Cag40Navy
June 6th, 2011, 23:16
Its out folks, get it while its hot!

http://www.virtavia.com/?page_id=373

Roger
June 7th, 2011, 04:09
Thanks for the hu Cag!

Gatorlph11
June 7th, 2011, 04:30
Thank you for the heads up. I do have a question. I purchased the C17 the day it came out from Alphasim. I did not see any instructions on how to download without paying again. Did I miss something? Any help would be appreciated.

Thank You,
J.J.

UnknownGuest12
June 7th, 2011, 04:44
Beautifull....
Priced at 54.95 US I'll wait for a sale...
Regards

icycle
June 7th, 2011, 04:53
Same question here.

Thanks
Bill

Felixthreeone
June 7th, 2011, 04:56
I am going to purchase soon, but I would like to hear some feedback from those that have already bought it....specifically, how is framerate performance in the vc, and just how much functionality exists in the vc? Systems?

Ferry_vO
June 7th, 2011, 05:47
Beautifull....
Priced at 54.95 US I'll wait for a sale...
Regards

The old Alphasim company never had any sale at all; doubt this will be any different now..

I do have a question. I purchased the C17 the day it came out from Alphasim. I did not see any instructions on how to download without paying again. Did I miss something? Any help would be appreciated.

Contacting Virtavia directly seems the easiest and best way to find out.. :mixedsmi:

usafvet
June 7th, 2011, 06:10
So they finally have completed the panel then?

Gatorlph11
June 7th, 2011, 07:29
The old Alphasim company never had any sale at all; doubt this will be any different now..

Contacting Virtavia directly seems the easiest and best way to find out.. :mixedsmi:

Yes I agree and have thought of that but alot of my questions usually are for the most part common and are usually answered on forums like this. I find it better to try to find the answers this way before asking the developer who probably have hundreds of the same question asked the first day. Yes i'm am sure someone would have asked it anyway and i could have waited but i decided to post anyway.

With respect,
J.J.

UnknownGuest12
June 7th, 2011, 08:06

What a pitty...too high a price. Waited sometime to buy Wildcat/martlet my last...will pass this one.

fsafranek
June 7th, 2011, 08:17
Thank you for the heads up. I do have a question. I purchased the C17 the day it came out from Alphasim. I did not see any instructions on how to download without paying again. Did I miss something? Any help would be appreciated.

Thank You,
J.J.
Download a copy of the Virtavia C-17 from <!-- m -->http://www.virtavia.com (http://www.virtavia.com/)<!-- m -->. Open a Support Ticket at Virtavia and provide your proof of purchase, your e-mail address and specify if you want FSX, FS9 or both. You will be sent an unlock key for it.

For Vista or Win7 remember to turn off User Acccount Control (UAC) using the Control Panel before you run the Flight1 EXE install file you have downloaded.

FSN
June 7th, 2011, 09:56
54 buck...jeebus. I'll be passing on this one.

centuryseries
June 7th, 2011, 11:35
http://i696.photobucket.com/albums/vv321/quid21/c172.jpg

http://i696.photobucket.com/albums/vv321/quid21/c171.jpg

Warrant
June 7th, 2011, 12:05
Glad it's finally out. Congrats to the developers. Hope all will enjoy this beauty, and we will see many, many screenies.

Due to the price i'll wait for the Area51 version first in order to compare them.

mal998
June 7th, 2011, 12:29
Hickham Field

Roger
June 7th, 2011, 12:45
It's about £33.00. Can't get an Indian for 2 with popadums and some lager for that. If I was a heavy jet flyer I'd buy it today.

GB
June 7th, 2011, 13:18
I got it and so far I like it. Expensive it is, but also nice and handling seems OK for a big jet like it. It has a working HUD, a detailed VC, and nice visuals/textures overall.

What I don't like is guys (somewhere else) that IMO didn't try it , but enjoy to diminish its value just for no real reason (IMO) right of the bat. It isn't the first plane that I've seen starting to phase criticism for no solid reason on its release.

If anybody follows and criticizes new products, without giving the people that developed it the chance to address everybody's tastes, ...planes won't sell,... developers won't see it reasonable to code them and finally the hobby will be over...

Phantom88
June 7th, 2011, 14:09
For those who have it,Does the reverse thrust work? And is the FMC Programmable?
Thank You.

Warrant
June 7th, 2011, 14:10
What I don't like is guys (somewhere else) that IMO didn't try it , but enjoy to diminish its value just for no real reason (IMO) right of the bat. It isn't the first plane that I've seen starting to phase criticism for no solid reason on its release.

If anybody follows and criticizes new products, without giving the people that developed it the chance to address everybody's tastes, ...planes won't sell,... developers won't see it reasonable to code them and finally the hobby will be over...

Glad you like it ok. Hope to see screenshots or even better, a movie with your comments regarding this beauty.
But what i don't understand is the rather hostile approach in this particular thread:isadizzy:
I have not seen any criticism so far besides the price (me included) and other reasons why people rather wait and see what other people think of the bird first. IMHO that's their prerogative. Nobody is swinging a bat here. There is a long time between first peeks and today's release. Now potential customors (like me) need time to get to know this bird a bit better before purchase. It would have been great if they would have released some kind of a demo first (with working DVC). :mixedsmi:
Now having this said, they sure produced a smart looking Globemaster here. The DVC looks like eyecandy too, looking at the first glimpse. :salute:

Edit: and i second the questions by Phantom88

wilycoyote4
June 7th, 2011, 14:22
Can a manual be downloaded by potential buyers?

GB
June 7th, 2011, 14:35
Reverse Thrust works OK. FMC not there but I've seen a promise in the relevant section in the manual, that it may be included in future, so lets hope.

As far as it concerns screenshots, I'm not very good in them, like some other collegues in here so I don't won't to ruin your viewpoint. Video wise I'm even worse ...

But it is really nice in and out, if you have the virtavia BONE, it is like BONE+ eye-candy wise.

P.S
Sorry if I offended any fellow simmer, it wasn't on purpose. It came out by finding a criticism attitude for many products lately, only to find out myself that it just highlights personal preferences and or unimportand points that are soon adressed by the developers, if notified in a constructive way. In any case you can have your money back if you don't like it.

Warrant
June 7th, 2011, 14:43
P.S
Sorry if I offended any fellow simmer, it wasn't on purpose. It came out by finding a criticism attitude for many products lately, only to find out myself that it just highlights personal preferences and or unimportand points that are soon adressed by the developers, if notified in a constructive way. In any case you can have your money back if you don't like it.

I think constructive comments like you just made will give the developers and potential buyers feedback they need and want, therefore preventing the necessity for the vendor to have to pay customers their money back. Cheers! :wavey:

Phantom88
June 7th, 2011, 14:44
Thanks for the answers GB.:salute:

mal998
June 7th, 2011, 15:29
http://fsfiles.org/flightsimshots/images/9882011_6_7_16_14_36_907.jpg

http://fsfiles.org/flightsimshots/images/7332011_6_7_16_39_52_928.jpg

http://fsfiles.org/flightsimshots/images/3672011_6_7_16_39_59_463.jpg

http://fsfiles.org/flightsimshots/images/6872011_6_7_16_40_3_414.jpg

http://fsfiles.org/flightsimshots/images/5152011_6_7_16_46_42_762.jpg

http://fsfiles.org/flightsimshots/images/3452011_6_7_16_52_18_79.jpg

http://fsfiles.org/flightsimshots/images/1752011_6_7_16_53_12_433.jpg

http://fsfiles.org/flightsimshots/images/3552011_6_7_16_54_40_599.jpg

Gatorlph11
June 7th, 2011, 15:30
Download a copy of the Virtavia C-17 from <!-- m -->http://www.virtavia.com (http://www.virtavia.com/)<!-- m -->. Open a Support Ticket at Virtavia and provide your proof of purchase, your e-mail address and specify if you want FSX, FS9 or both. You will be sent an unlock key for it.

For Vista or Win7 remember to turn off User Acccount Control (UAC) using the Control Panel before you run the Flight1 EXE install file you have downloaded.

Thank you very much Fsafranek.

KR,
J.J.

Gatorlph11
June 7th, 2011, 15:31
Great pics Mal!!

J.J.

Warrant
June 7th, 2011, 15:34
Wow....Just stunning images there, Mal!
Must stop looking or i'll buy now....

:jump:

GB
June 7th, 2011, 15:42
It needs special tallent to take shots like Mal's.

That's why I said that I don't even think about ruining anybody's view with mine..

Really nice shots.

mfitch
June 7th, 2011, 17:08
That second to last picture in mal's post really emphasizes the size of these things. I am continually amazed at what they can do (real life). One of my favorite flight training memories is a C-17 lifting off as I crossed the runway line in a Diamond Eclipse. Perhaps I will have to buy this one and re-enact the scene.

fox18delta
June 7th, 2011, 18:58
Watched a C-17 perform a max-rate turn at CFB Trenton...inside the airfield boundaries ! Wow.
C-17 reminds me of Thunderbird 2, Virgil's aircraft . LOL

This one looks like a beauty :-)

strykerpsg
June 7th, 2011, 21:25
Absolutely gonna get this one! Admittedly, would like an FMC (FSAFRANEK, any insight on an upgrade perhaps?). The price is a bit steep, but was going to buy it before at a high price mark too, without the VC, so not definitely want this one.

Matt

jim
June 8th, 2011, 03:52
Anybody know if the Alpha repaints of the C17 will work with the new Virtaria C17?

mal998
June 8th, 2011, 04:40
Fellas,
Thanks for the kind comments on my screenies.

For those who have purchased, your comments and critiques are being taken under advisement and will be incorporated into an update wherever possible.

The Alpha repaints will work on the new Virtavia aircraft.

strykerpsg
June 8th, 2011, 12:02
Mal,

Do you have any visibility on the possibility of an FMC addition? As mis-stated in my last post, I most definitely want this, even if there is not an FMC but do think an FMC would help justify the higher price mark for some. Just a thought.

Matt

Fellas,

For those who have purchased, your comments and critiques are being taken under advisement and will be incorporated into an update wherever possible.

mal998
June 8th, 2011, 12:56
Matt,
I have forwarded your question to the boss regarding the FMC. I'll certainly let you know if I get any feedback.

It's a fun plane to fly!

Big, yet agile... :wiggle: ya' come screaming into a short runway, deploy the spoilers, slam on the reverse thrusters, tap the brakes... come to a screeching halt...it's fun!

BR's,
mal

Kiwikat
June 8th, 2011, 14:47
I'll buy this one after/if they install a FMC in it. For the same money you can get arguably one of the best airliner addons of all time.

I really hope they decide to further develop this one. :wavey:

strykerpsg
June 8th, 2011, 19:33
Matt,
I have forwarded your question to the boss regarding the FMC. I'll certainly let you know if I get any feedback.

It's a fun plane to fly!

Big, yet agile... :wiggle: ya' come screaming into a short runway, deploy the spoilers, slam on the reverse thrusters, tap the brakes... come to a screeching halt...it's fun!

BR's,
mal
Mal, thanks for forwarding. I look forward to this and an FMC would certainly qualify this beauty for the higher dollar point. Also, Area 51 made mention of a possible FMC with theirs as well, so hoping the competitive spirit swells to give us more options to choose from. Bottom line, I really like the detail on this and the paints. The FMC would just be the icing on the cake for me.

Please forward my regards to the team for completing their work of art.
Matt

dvj
June 9th, 2011, 07:32
Fellas,

Recommendation for update:

Would it be possible to change the contact points of the tires? Right now they don't look they are carrying any weight for an aircraft this large and heavy.

fsafranek
June 9th, 2011, 12:37
Recommendation for update:

Would it be possible to change the contact points of the tires? Right now they don't look they are carrying any weight for an aircraft this large and heavy.
That's an easy mod you can do yourself by editing the [contact_points] section of the aircraft.cfg file. The original value #3 was "-13.85". Below I've changed it to "-13.70". That presses the tires a bit but not a whole lot since there is no cargo in there. Experiment a little and comment back with your results.

//--------0------1-------2-------3--------4------5-----6-------7-----8------9------10------11------12----13---14---15-
point.0 = 1, 58.50, 0.00, -13.70, 1250.00, 0, 1.55, 45.00, 0.68, 2.00, 0.80, 18.00, 13.00, 0, 250, 250
point.1 = 1, -10.00, -13.50, -13.70, 1500.00, 1, 2.05, 0.00, 0.84, 2.25, 0.65, 17.00, 13.00, 2, 250, 250
point.2 = 1, -10.00, 13.50, -13.70, 1500.00, 2, 2.05, 0.00, 0.84, 2.25, 0.65, 17.00, 13.00, 3, 250, 250

:ernae:

mal998
June 9th, 2011, 12:38
hold on, i'll have a look at the ground stance

Beat me to it. :-}

That looks better!

StormILM
June 9th, 2011, 13:04
Hey guys, is anyone else having an issue with the C-17 Autopilot in FSX? I am using the VC and for some reason, the AP master switch is inoperative(it will not move when moused/clicked). The readouts for setting the Alt and Heading, etc work fine but no engagement of the AP function. The other items that seem affected by the issue are the GPS and the Backup Artificial Horizon which are also INOP. Oddly, the Autothrottle works fine and all other instruments and displays work perfectly. It makes me wonder if there is a Electrics mapping issue or something interfering with the affected gauges/systems. I have reinstalled and no joy, same issue. Support ticket in to Virtavia but just wanted to know if anyone else besides me has an issue like this?

Otherwise, the model is incredible and the frame rates on my dated system are excellent at this level of detail.

dvj
June 9th, 2011, 13:06
hold on, i'll have a look at the ground stance

Beat me to it. :-}

That looks better!

Yep, much much better, thanks!

GT182
June 9th, 2011, 13:17
Yep, it looks just like the ones that fly over my house here in DE. And just as pretty too..... but noisy as all get out. LOL

mal998
June 9th, 2011, 13:49
Storm,
I reported it and am waiting for the crew to check it out.

Update: I re-loaded the aircraft and the switch, which is located on the right hand side of the panel, actually worked ok. So, i don't know at this point I'll keep an eye on it.

Update 2: switch seems to work ok. reloaded aircraft, went to panel switched on autopilot and it worked fine.

dougal
June 9th, 2011, 14:13
Oh I sooooooo want this, it looks great.

Sadly, it would need the FMC in place though.

StormILM
June 9th, 2011, 14:58
Storm,
I reported it and am waiting for the crew to check it out.

Update: I re-loaded the aircraft and the switch, which is located on the right hand side of the panel, actually worked ok. So, i don't know at this point I'll keep an eye on it.

Update 2: switch seems to work ok. reloaded aircraft, went to panel switched on autopilot and it worked fine.

Mal, I am going to uninstall and start over just to make sure if something may have been corrupted. I went and checked out the B-1B and some other models to make sure there was no FSX anomaly going on that were interfering with gauges but only the C-17 was experiencing the issue as described. When I get the model reinstalled, I will advise if there is any change.

FYI folks, there is a good freeware Honeywell FMC over at Avsim that should be a drop-in for the C-17 panel. Also, I tested EasyFBW freeware program with the C-17 and it worked perfectly adding Autotrim and other Fly-By-Wire aspects without pitch & bank limiters.

Merlin216
June 9th, 2011, 15:56
Here is my little review.

http://i.imgur.com/Rug2K.jpg

It flies nicely. I am sure Mr. Ogluin can get better flight data than anyone here. At low speeds it handles very much like a fighter, but when you add cargo you can definitely feel the extra weight.

The VC looks spot on. It does miss a few functions, most noted was the FMC. I would prefer a map page much similar to the actual C-17s, where you can at least see the flight plan, but the GPS map is not bad either. Everything else is pretty straight forward minus the EPR ratings, which just take some time to play around with to fully understand.

The one thing I have to complain about though, is the HUD. The HUD is displayed at a 45 degree angle or so, and it is comparable to trying to look at a laptop screen also angled at 45 degrees. In my second picture, you can see what I am talking about. I personally find the HUD useless in this case, as I just cannot see anything from my default view angle. The two times I have sat in the cockpit of a C-17, the HUD has been off so I cannot really say from actual experience, but videos and pictures I have seen show the HUD to be flat rather than at this angle.

http://i.imgur.com/wW15T.jpg

The last little complaint I have about the HUD, is the Flight Path Marker. It is several times larger than an actual FPM, but more so it does not work. Upon approach my FPM was at the other end of the runway, not where I was about to touch down. Overall it just doesn't seem to work like the FPMs in other aircraft, such as the Aerosoft F-16.

Please do not take anything I said above negatively towards Virtavia. I am very pleased to see the VC after this very long wait, and personally think it came out quite nicely, minus the 3 things I mentioned. I do hope something is done about the HUD and FMC though, as those two alone would greatly increase my fun in the aircraft.

To those of you asking about the Reverse Thrusters, yes they work very well. As for the repaints done a long time ago, I think they will work, but I have yet to test them.

Thank you Virtavia for your hard work and great product.

fsafranek
June 9th, 2011, 16:46
Mal, I am going to uninstall and start over just to make sure if something may have been corrupted. I went and checked out the B-1B and some other models to make sure there was no FSX anomaly going on that were interfering with gauges but only the C-17 was experiencing the issue as described. When I get the model reinstalled, I will advise if there is any change.

FYI folks, there is a good freeware Honeywell FMC over at Avsim that should be a drop-in for the C-17 panel. Also, I tested EasyFBW freeware program with the C-17 and it worked perfectly adding Autotrim and other Fly-By-Wire aspects without pitch & bank limiters.
It could be that the small patches over the full install are causing the problems. The AP was working fine last week. I flew a flight plan course using it to control heading and altitude changes as well as approach. I just looked again running a full set of tests and am seeing issues now -- it does turn on/off for me however. In the mean time until it is sorted, the AP on the 2D panel works fine and does update the AP in the VC.

The backup artifical horizon is working fine for me so not sure what's up there.

The standalong FMC that Storm mentioned is "fmc-1.zip" by Garrett Smith at flightsim.com. I've had it installed on the default 737-800 and am working on getting it to work here as well.

Thanks for screen shots and comments Merlin216. I agree about the flight plan on the map view. I asked for that feature during testing. Also during testing I flew her with some of the repaints by Nathan Havercroft from the original release and they do work with this version. Just do a search for "alphasim c-17" and you'll find several.

Going to scrape the whole thing off now along with the 2-3 mini patches and reinstall the full package and see how it looks after that.

Merlin216
June 9th, 2011, 17:21
Thanks for screen shots and comments Merlin216. I agree about the flight plan on the map view. I asked for that feature during testing. Also during testing I flew her with some of the repaints by Nathan Havercroft from the original release and they do work with this version. Just do a search for "alphasim c-17" and you'll find several.

Going to scrape the whole thing off now along with the 2-3 mini patches and reinstall the full package and see how it looks after that.

Thank you Frank. Your updates near the end were very nice to have.

I could not remember whos name it was that did the repaints. Nathan has done quite a few, and are definitely work checking out. I am glad to hear they work still.

dvj
June 9th, 2011, 18:12
One great sim....

mal998
June 9th, 2011, 19:17
Great shot dvj!

StormILM
June 9th, 2011, 23:31
Mal and I got the Autopilot Electrical issue sorted by adjusting the aircraft config [electrical] section entry: "electric_always_available =" from 0 to 1. Whatever anomaly was going on with my setup and the C-17 was cured by that simple adjustment. Everything is 100% now and it is a great model.

Regarding Garrett Smith's FMC- fmc-1.zip, the panel config entry edit as follows:

Window07=FMC//GPS

[Window07]
Background_color=16,16,16
size_mm=325,512
window_size_ratio=1.000
position=0
visible=0
ident=GPS_PANEL // change if you keep your GPS window
window_size= 0.255, 0.475
window_pos= 0.745, 0.520

gauge00=HoneywellFMC!fmc, 0,0,325,512

That's it! :salute::ernae:

An-225
June 10th, 2011, 03:32
Anyone looking to test out the STOL characteristics, there's a highway strip in Kuwait (ICAO: Z19M), I'm having some great fun slamming on the reverse thrust in the middle of a Khe Sanh Approach.

The only things that would make this better would be a working FMC and perhaps a more legible/higher contrast HUD, apart from that, it's a great plane. :)

Merlin216
June 10th, 2011, 08:33
Mal and I got the Autopilot Electrical issue sorted by adjusting the aircraft config [electrical] section entry: "electric_always_available =" from 0 to 1. Whatever anomaly was going on with my setup and the C-17 was cured by that simple adjustment. Everything is 100% now and it is a great model.

I did not fully pay attention to your problem, so excuse me for asking about this yet again. Were you not able to turn the Autopilot on after having the battery off for several minutes? I have noticed even long before the VC that if you turn the battery off, your AP becomes non functional and your GPS will never turn back on. After I had the battery off and those functions became INOP I had to completely select a whole new aircraft like a default cessna, and jump back in the 17 to get the GPS and AP to work.

If that is what you were having problems with I apologize for not paying attention, as it may have saved some grief. Thank you though for posting that fix. I thought I had done this at one point with the old aircraft, but I guess I did something else.

StormILM
June 10th, 2011, 09:49
I did not fully pay attention to your problem, so excuse me for asking about this yet again. Were you not able to turn the Autopilot on after having the battery off for several minutes? I have noticed even long before the VC that if you turn the battery off, your AP becomes non functional and your GPS will never turn back on. After I had the battery off and those functions became INOP I had to completely select a whole new aircraft like a default cessna, and jump back in the 17 to get the GPS and AP to work.

If that is what you were having problems with I apologize for not paying attention, as it may have saved some grief. Thank you though for posting that fix. I thought I had done this at one point with the old aircraft, but I guess I did something else.

Hi Merlin, I have my default flight set as engines off and perhaps that has something to do with the anomaly or not. With the C-17, I immediately started the engines and all instruments worked except the backup Attitude Indicator, the GPS, and the Autopilot Master Switch would not move when clicked. Funny thing is that the Auto Throttle Switch and system and everything else worked fine. It just struck me as odd as apparently only a few people are having this issue and other testers did not during and after the beta phase. But the config entry change to the electrics cleared up the problem and everything is 100% functional now. As a matter of fact, I am flight testing it right now on a 2500mn flight and all is working flawlessly.

Merlin216
June 10th, 2011, 11:19
Hi Merlin, I have my default flight set as engines off and perhaps that has something to do with the anomaly or not. With the C-17, I immediately started the engines and all instruments worked except the backup Attitude Indicator, the GPS, and the Autopilot Master Switch would not move when clicked. Funny thing is that the Auto Throttle Switch and system and everything else worked fine. It just struck me as odd as apparently only a few people are having this issue and other testers did not during and after the beta phase. But the config entry change to the electrics cleared up the problem and everything is 100% functional now. As a matter of fact, I am flight testing it right now on a 2500mn flight and all is working flawlessly.

Yes this is exactly what problem I have always had. I find it has to do with the battery being off for only a few minutes. I have just flown a short 250nm hop and was able to test your change, which works, but I would like to actually have everything in the aircraft turn off when I shut off the battery switch. That fix is by far better than losing my AP, backup attitude, and GPS though.

I am assuming with your default flight, the batteries are also off right?

Merlin216
June 10th, 2011, 11:39
Figure Ill upload a couple old pictures

http://i.imgur.com/wVCfb.jpg

We had a few on this flight, so that was nice to see a bunch of these birds in the air at once. Would love to do it again sometime.

http://i.imgur.com/7NY7q.jpg

fsafranek
June 10th, 2011, 14:49
For anyone still having problems adjusting the AP values keep in mind that adjustments are made by putting the cursor over the knob (so it changes to a hand symbol) and then use the MOUSEWHEEL to adjust the value up or down.

Bob.sc
June 11th, 2011, 04:07
Why not Charleston schemes? We are Leaders of the C17 Fleet!

mal998
June 11th, 2011, 07:18
Charleston and other schemes available over at Flightsim.com.

Simply search AlphaSim C-17

http://www.flightsim.com/zview.php?cm=view2&fn=%2Fhome%2Fflight%2Ffiles%2F69%2Fcharleston.zip&an=Charleston.jpg&idx=8

http://fsfiles.org/flightsimshots/images/7312011_6_11_13_54_48_282.jpg

http://fsfiles.org/flightsimshots/images/7312011_6_11_13_54_48_282.jpg

centuryseries
June 11th, 2011, 09:11
I like the way you can actually reverse in FSX. Enabling you to reverse taxi round part of the taxiway then takeoff opposite to the direction you just landed :applause: Just like at the airshow C-17 demo.

fsafranek
June 11th, 2011, 10:09
Charleston and other schemes available over at Flightsim.com.

Simply search AlphaSim C-17

http://www.flightsim.com/zview.php?cm=view2&fn=%2Fhome%2Fflight%2Ffiles%2F69%2Fcharleston.zip&an=Charleston.jpg&idx=8
These are a few of the repaints from the v1 release that will work (as they all do) since there have been no changes in the texture mapping. These are of bases not included among the texture sets in the latest release. (zip file names are from flightsim.com)

Altus AFB - altus930602.zip
Charleston AFB - c17_77182v2.zip and charleston.zip
Dover AFB - dover66165.zip
Edwards AFB - edwards-c17.zip
Elmendorf AFB - 990169.zip
Travis AFB - 066154.zip and travis066156.zip

There's also a couple sceneries for Charleston AFB by Ryan Cobb over there with lots of C-17 sized parking spots.

strykerpsg
June 11th, 2011, 10:43
Frank,

Just purchased, installed and flew her around the Sound a bit. Fantastic looking bird. However, noted a few things. First, I have NO 2D cockpit; radios are all on but no communications; autopilot doesn't seem to wrk properly. I will uninstall and reinstall to see if that fixes the problems. Otherwise, fantastic model and just need an FMC and more legible HUD.

Matt

centuryseries
June 11th, 2011, 11:01
Frank,

Just purchased, installed and flew her around the Sound a bit. Fantastic looking bird. However, noted a few things. First, I have NO 2D cockpit; radios are all on but no communications; autopilot doesn't seem to wrk properly. I will uninstall and reinstall to see if that fixes the problems. Otherwise, fantastic model and just need an FMC and more legible HUD.

Matt

The autopilot can apparently be switched using the mouse scroll wheel.

strykerpsg
June 11th, 2011, 11:44
Frank,

Matt
Frank, unistalled and reinstalled and still the same issues exist. With regards to the autopilot, I may be doing something wrong and if anyone has an idoits guide to using the autopilot, please forward, I'll gladly take it and wear the dunce cap. Radios are on in the main console and overhead and still no radio comms either heard or able to be transmitted. Suggestions?

Matt

Update, so after re-reading all the posts, my switch does not work for the autopilot. I tried left/right clicking and the mouse wheel and still no autopilot. Also, the download was version 2.2 I believe.

mal998
June 11th, 2011, 11:57
Matt,
did you try switching it on from the panel in the VC (towards the right hand side).

strykerpsg
June 11th, 2011, 12:07
Matt,
did you try switching it on from the panel in the VC (towards the right hand side).
Yes, the A/P switch located next to the ATS switch?

mal998
June 11th, 2011, 12:19
yeah, thats the one...still no luck?

open up the aircraft.cfg and turn the electrical from 0 to 1

[electrical]
max_battery_voltage = 24
generator_alternator_voltage = 28
max_generator_alternator_amps = 65
engine_generator_map = 1,1,1,1
electric_always_available = 1

strykerpsg
June 11th, 2011, 12:41
Ok, it was 0 in the cfg file, will give it a whirl. Anything about the radio?

Update: chaning the swith in the cfg file to 1 is definitely a keeper. Now back to fixing the radio chatter and HUD, not to mention to 2D or was I incorrect about the 2D pit?

fsafranek
June 11th, 2011, 13:02
Ok, it was 0 in the cfg file, will give it a whirl. Anything about the radio?

Update: chaning the swith in the cfg file to 1 is definitely a keeper. Now back to fixing the radio chatter and HUD, not to mention to 2D or was I incorrect about the 2D pit?
Just flew from March down to North Island using the AP and GPS. Everything is working for me. Chatted with ATC the whole trip. This was with a fresh 2.2 install from yesterday after uninstalling and scraping off previous beta/updates.

Are you loading up the C-17 first or do you load something else and then load the C-17. Probably doesn't matter but you never know. Also, are you starting from a saved flight plan or something default. Just wondering if something is getting preset before the C-17 is loaded?

strykerpsg
June 11th, 2011, 13:10
Just flew from March down to North Island using the AP and GPS. Everything is working for me. Chatted with ATC the whole trip. This was with a fresh 2.2 install from yesterday after uninstalling and scraping off previous beta/updates.

Are you loading up the C-17 first or do you load something else and then load the C-17. Probably doesn't matter but you never know. Also, are you starting from a saved flight plan or something default. Just wondering if something is getting preset before the C-17 is loaded?
There is a default saved flight plan when FSX starts, taking me from McChord to Honolulu. My default aircraft is the CS B52 and the radios and chatter work from the beginning. I switched from the C17 to the Aerosoft F-22 and got the radio chatter and IFR clearences. However, moving back to the C-17, no radio chatter and no capability to chat with ATC. I know in some planes it means the radio are off, so turned on the radio in the overhead console and its on in the UFC next to the HUD. They all show the freqs but there is no ability to transmit or receive, with this particular bird. Thoughts/suggestions?

Matt

In regards to starting with her, I do start from the FSX menu with the C-17 and stil nothing.

strykerpsg
June 11th, 2011, 14:01
Also noticed my back up artificial horizon does not work either. I also start her using Ctl- E, if that matters. I just double checked the Virtavia website and it does indeed state there is a 2D cockpit available.

Lots of little bugs but absolutely glad I finally purchased this one. I feel confident that they will get resolved.

Matt

mal998
June 11th, 2011, 14:36
Matt,

Granted there may be a few little bugs, but sometimes ya' just gotta say "WTF"

This had been hanging long enough and we just felt it was time to get her done, get her out, and move on.

open up the panel.cfg.

what does it show for [window00] (just the top portion without the gauges)?

On the artificial horizon, make sure you have it uncaged (left click or mouse wheel).

Warrant
June 11th, 2011, 16:54
After reading all in this thread i can still officially claim a "..you made me do it, you bastards!..".

I crossed the line and purchased the bird!

And what fun it is!

Hehehehehehe!

strykerpsg
June 11th, 2011, 18:40
So, is anyone else not able to receive or transmit radio traffic? If everyone else is able to send and receive, are you doing anything else when starting her up? As stated earlier, I use CTL-E and generally that turns everything on.

As for the artificial horizon, I will try to unlock it. I just overlooked that part of doing so, but there are other birds that require you to uncage them as well.

Ultimately, if I can just get the radio comms straight, will absolutely not complain any further. Also, does anyone else have the 2D cockpit? I just want to ensure my install isn't dorked up. If everyone else has 2D and radio comms, then it's absolutely something I am doing wrong. It is most definitely one of my most entertaining purchases this year, along with the Wilco Harrier.

Matt

Matt

Warrant
June 11th, 2011, 18:59
So, is anyone else not able to receive or transmit radio traffic? If everyone else is able to send and receive, are you doing anything else when starting her up? As stated earlier, I use CTL-E and generally that turns everything on.

As for the artificial horizon, I will try to unlock it. I just overlooked that part of doing so, but there are other birds that require you to uncage them as well.

Ultimately, if I can just get the radio comms straight, will absolutely not complain any further. Also, does anyone else have the 2D cockpit? I just want to ensure my install isn't dorked up. If everyone else has 2D and radio comms, then it's absolutely something I am doing wrong. It is most definitely one of my most entertaining purchases this year, along with the Wilco Harrier.

Matt

Matt

Hi Matt, got my C-17 today. I have a 2D panel, and i have working comms.
If you have trouble, why don't you re-download your package and re-install?
Did you install with the UAC turned off?

strykerpsg
June 11th, 2011, 19:02
I turned off the UAC many months ago, although I can re-check that it's still off. I really want this one to work and be successful for Virtavia, in hopes they continue to add an FMC and perhaps some cargo pallets in the rear, in a later patch....

I'll uninstall and reinstall after dinner and a movie. More to follow....

Matt

strykerpsg
June 11th, 2011, 23:24
So, officially my UAC is been turned off, verified twice. I uninstalled and reinstalled and still no 2D, no radio comms (although the menu shows up) and autopilot doesn't operate on a clean install. So, looking for other alternative solutions..........

Matt

strykerpsg
June 12th, 2011, 00:52
So, modded the cfg file, autopilot works. I started free flight in another aircraft, radios work. switched to the C-17 and radios continued working. At least I'm getting somewhere and more frustrated that I seem to be the only one experiencing these issues.

Matt

Lateral-G
June 12th, 2011, 04:48
any idea when fspilotshop.com will get this one?

coolguy3
June 12th, 2011, 07:59
So, modded the cfg file, autopilot works. I started free flight in another aircraft, radios work. switched to the C-17 and radios continued working. At least I'm getting somewhere and more frustrated that I seem to be the only one experiencing these issues.

Matt

Hi Matt and others -

With FSX, it's always best to NOT change the default flight from the original one with the ultralight aircraft, and all systems on. Load that flight first, then switch to another aircraft of your choice. I've found with doing that, I've had no problems with electrical/radios/AP/etc. with any aircraft. And no, I haven't pulled the trigger on buying this C-17 yet, but I'm REALLY tempted!

Cheers,
Jim

strykerpsg
June 12th, 2011, 09:36
Jim,

Thanks for the info. It may be a part of whats wrong now. I now get very wild gyrations when using the autopilot, to the point of the plane going inverted and generally nose diving into the virtual terra firma below.

The radios do work now(not sure it wasn't an initial glitch that worked itself free), as does the artificial horizon(was not uncaged) and the 2D cockpit not showing is a byproduct of three spanned monitors which is great for VC, but not 2D. I think the only thing I have to tweak now is the autopilot issues.

Bottom line is their release isn't faulty, my set up is. The only legitimate bug I have seen so far is the autopilot switch not wanting to come on and that fix has been identified. If you are sitting on the fence based on my feedback, please disregard it as a byproduct of Virtavia's design, its all me, mostly. It's truly a fantastic plane.

Matt

StormILM
June 12th, 2011, 17:24

Did a bit of tweaking on the HUD swapping out the stock one with the updated F/A-18 HUD. Works beautifully! Once I finish testing, I will provide the patch info.

strykerpsg
June 12th, 2011, 18:15

Did a bit of tweaking on the HUD swapping out the stock one with the updated F/A-18 HUD. Works beautifully! Once I finish testing, I will provide the patch info.
Please do share when you get it right. I am liking this beast the more I fly it. Now, if I can only get the autopilot steps figured out......not rocket science but never had my other planes take turns at very sharp angles and begin to loose lift. Still having a blast though.

Matt

mal998
June 13th, 2011, 06:30
Matt,
I flew a very nice flight yesterday from Charleston to Oceana using FSX's flight planner(IFR). My flight plan took me to altitude with ATC flight following all the way. Make sure you have ATC sounds turned on and if desired choose a voice for pilot (under general tab).

I turned on the AP switch, then the FD switch. Once airborne I hit the GPS switch and then NAV1 and she flew me right to Oceana.

Once airborne you can set the Altitude using the mouse-wheel, and then hit the altitude Hold switch. Vertical speed can also be set using the mouse-wheel.

If desired you can set the speed using the mouse-wheel and lock it in by pushing the "SPD" hold button.

Dials named "SEL" are operated using the mouse-wheel (up or down).

ATC functions are governed thru settings in the game. For a while I could not hear ATC but upon further investigation I realized that I had the ATC voice and pilot's voice response turned off.

I'm sure I missed a bunch of things, but this should get folks a little more familiar with the Autopilot settings. It also took me a while to figure out how the darn thing works! :icon_lol:

strykerpsg
June 13th, 2011, 08:06
Matt,
I flew a very nice flight yesterday from Charleston to Oceana using FSX's flight planner(IFR). My flight plan took me to altitude with ATC flight following all the way. Make sure you have ATC sounds turned on and if desired choose a voice for pilot (under general tab).

I turned on the AP switch, then the FD switch. Once airborne I hit the GPS switch and then NAV1 and she flew me right to Oceana.

Once airborne you can set the Altitude using the mouse-wheel, and then hit the altitude Hold switch. Vertical speed can also be set using the mouse-wheel.

If desired you can set the speed using the mouse-wheel and lock it in by pushing the "SPD" hold button.

Dials named "SEL" are operated using the mouse-wheel (up or down).

ATC functions are governed thru settings in the game. For a while I could not hear ATC but upon further investigation I realized that I had the ATC voice and pilot's voice response turned off.

I'm sure I missed a bunch of things, but this should get folks a little more familiar with the Autopilot settings. It also took me a while to figure out how the darn thing works! :icon_lol:

Mal,

After some tweaking, basically uninstall and reinstall, then modding the cfg file, everything works great! I have ATC sounds again and flew from McChord to Kaneohe MCAS in Hawaii, all without a glitch. The only issue seems to be the way the autopilot handles some banking changes. Twice when intercepting the next waypoint, she has gone into 90 degree plus bank and just kept rolling over. So, will play more with her tonight.

I am going to post another thread in the troubleshooting side, looking for suggestions in accessing the 2D in a triple monitor setup. Although admittedly, she looks fantastic on three monitors in VC. Virtavia/Alphasim has done a great job on this one and the only true bug seems to be the power to the autopilot switch.

Matt

BTW, how can I assign an Air Force call sign to her instead of Boeing 0186? I tried editing this before, but couldn't get the ATC to call them byt he call sign I wanted. Thoughts?

fsafranek
June 13th, 2011, 10:09
BTW, how can I assign an Air Force call sign to her instead of Boeing 0186? I tried editing this before, but couldn't get the ATC to call them byt he call sign I wanted. Thoughts?
Under the individual [fltsim.xx] sections make sure the value for "atc_airline" is "Air Force". You can use the long tail number for the "atc_id" and a shortened version of the tail number for "atc_flight_number". With the changes below ATC will refer to you as "Air Force One Four Seven":

[fltsim.8]
title=Virtavia C-17A 8
sim=C17A
model=
panel=
sound=
texture=Hickam_HANG
kb_checklists=C17A_Check
kb_reference=C17A_Ref
ui_typerole="Strategic Transport"
ui_createdby="Virtavia"
ui_manufacturer=Boeing
ui_type=C-17A
ui_variation=15th AW, Hickam AFB, Hawaii
description=...
atc_id=55147
atc_heavy=0
atc_airline=Air Force
atc_flight_number=147
atc_parking_types=MIL_COMBAT
visual_damage=0

coolguy3
June 13th, 2011, 11:25
Matt wrote:

If you are sitting on the fence based on my feedback, please disregard it as a byproduct of Virtavia's design, its all me, mostly. It's truly a fantastic plane.

Matt

Hi Matt,

The reason why I haven't yet bought it is the price tag....it's high, particularly for a plane that doesn't have an FMC. I know Ernie Alston is working on one for his ISG package, which is good, but I still think a plane of this price should have a fully (or as close to it as possible, given FSX limitations) functional FMC. I'm still VERY much considering buying it, though!

Cheers,
Jim

StormILM
June 13th, 2011, 12:29
Okay, due to licensing issues regarding the freeware HUD, I prefer not to hoop jump to package and upload the files I glued together for the C-17 HUD update. I will however show here how to obtain the freeware materials and installed the C-17 HUD set up as I did. First, if you don't already have it, download the Eaglesoft F/A-18 Blue Angles package here: http://www.mediafire.com/?nocynom3cd4

From there, install the package into FSX or you can create a subfolder on your desktop and aim the installer to unpack everything there. First, go to the FA-18BA-Eaglesim pack texture folder and copy the following textures into the Virtavia C-17 shared texture folder: $F18_A_GAUGE1.dds, F-18_Glass_T.dds, FA_18_Cube.dds, FA_18_fresnelhud.dds, Fresnel_Ramp.dds. There should be no overwrite prompts.

Next, go to the FA-18BA-Eaglesim panel folder and copy the following items to the Virtavia C-17 panel folder: FA18_HUD_Switches, FA18_HUD_VC_R, panel.v0, panel.v1.

Next, in the Virtavia C-17 panel folder, open the panel config file with notepad and copy and paste the following lines in the proper sequence:

[Window Titles]

Window08=HUD Switches //<---Add this under the GPS entry in Window Titles list

[Window08] //<------- Add below Window07 entry
size_mm=175,438
position=6 // 0 for upper-left corner, 2 for upper-right, 6 for lower-left, 8 for lower-right
window_size=0.125,0.500
visible=0
ident=10050

gauge00=FA18_HUD_Switches!Panel Background, 0,0,175,438
gauge01=FA18_HUD_Switches!Nav1CRS, 55,342,32,32
gauge02=FA18_HUD_Switches!Nav2CRS, 55,382,32,32
gauge03=FA18_HUD_Switches!GPS CRS, 55,298,32,32
gauge04=FA18_HUD_Switches!Nav-GPS, 75,120,37,74
gauge05=FA18_HUD_Switches!HUD Clock, 45,189,90,50
gauge06=FA18_HUD_Switches!HUD Steering Switch, 68,229,37,74
gauge07=FA18_HUD_Switches!HUD Reject Switch, 35,13,28,28
gauge08=FA18_HUD_Switches!HUD Altitude Switch, 35,53,28,28
gauge09=FA18_HUD_Switches!HUD ILS Switch, 108,13,28,28
gauge10=FA18_HUD_Switches!HUD Cage Switch, 108,53,28,28
gauge11=FA18_HUD_Switches!HUD Power Switch, 78,75,37,74

[Vcockpit03]
; HUD
file=
Background_color=0,0,0
size_mm=512,600
visible=0
pixel_size=512,600
texture=$vpanel3

//gauge00=Virtavia_C-17!HUD, 25, 0, 450, 600
gauge00=FA18_HUD_VC_R!FA18_HUD_VC_R, 25, 0, 450, 600// <---this is the new HUD.

That is it.

Okay, here are the limitations. First, with the engines running, generators on and avionics switch on, you will need to hit Shirt + 9 to open the HUD popup control panel. From there, you can adjust the HUD as you need. There is no brightness control and the VC HUD control switches do not work after this modification. Still, the different modes and more legible symbology with 3 declutter settings make it alot easier to work with.

Hopefully a good Collimated HUD update will be made for the C-17. A model of this quality deserves it!

fox18delta
June 15th, 2011, 16:58
Just purchased the C-17. Wow ! Great fun ! If you have enjoyed getting the Captain Sim C-130 into and out of challenging airstrips all over the globe, then you will love doing the same thing with Virtavia's C-17. :applause:

strykerpsg
June 19th, 2011, 11:44
Frank, any chance they are looking to revise the HUD? I flew another successful mission from Sigonella to Gibraltar and worked great, just finding the HUD a bit useless in it's present incarnation. Aside from the earlier Autopilot switch, it's a great model.

Matt

fsafranek
June 19th, 2011, 22:33
Frank, any chance they are looking to revise the HUD? I flew another successful mission from Sigonella to Gibraltar and worked great, just finding the HUD a bit useless in it's present incarnation. Aside from the earlier Autopilot switch, it's a great model.

Matt
A change to the HUD was mentioned in the beta forum a few days ago but haven't seen nor heard anything since. So not sure what is going on with that. Will post here when something happens.

fsafranek
June 21st, 2011, 14:46
The paintkit for the C-17 is available on the paintkits page of the Alphasim/Virtavia freeware site.

http://www.easyfly.co.nz/Freeware/index.php?dir=/Paint Kits

Warrant
June 21st, 2011, 15:11
The paintkit for the C-17 is available on the paintkits page of the Alphasim/Virtavia freeware site.

http://www.easyfly.co.nz/Freeware/index.php?dir=/Paint Kits

Great news, though my first one is already out :ernae:

Thanks for sharing!

fsafranek
June 24th, 2011, 08:36
Hope folks don't miss this because the thread is no longer sticky for some reason.

There's been an update to the Virtavia C-17. This update includes:

Improved pilot’s HUD graphics
AP knobs for SPD, HDG and ALT are now also mousable using left and right click in addition to the mousewheel
Fuel burn rate has also been adjusted following feedback from realworld C-17 pilots
New purchasers should just download the main C-17 download .exe wrapper file as normal. Existing owners can use the small update Zip file available on the Virtavia site at the link below. Extract the contents of the Zip to the root folder of the sim (the way we used to always do it at Alphasim), which for FSX will be ‘Microsoft Flight Simulator X’, and for FS9 ‘Microsoft Flight Simulator 9′. Overwrite the existing files when prompted.

http://www.virtavia.com/?p=427
(http://www.virtavia.com/?p=427)
If you made any adjustments to the original aircraft.cfg file (adding older textures, adjusting contact points, etc.) you should save your current copy to the side and put those changes into the new one.

Warrant
June 24th, 2011, 08:56
Thanks for the H/U and description.

Edit: Installed the update. First thing i dislike (and need to find out how to get that single element of update back to original) is....the HUD.
I know i'm swearing in the church by saying this but i just don't like it.
The HUD plate at the PIC seat is skew forward, but the display info is straight in front of me, overlapping the HUD's outside edges. When moving to FO-position, the HUD is the way is was (and correctly positioned IMHO).
Regarding the info displayed in the HUD, and how adequate that is i can be short: not assessed yet.

Gonna take the C17 out for a flight now, to check that, and it's fuel consumption rate.

Really love take off and land this grotesk beast, btw!
(perhaps i'll test it again and again, just for that purpose :-))

Edit2: Below pictures denote what i mean (left is copilot seat HUD, right is PIC seat with odd angle of HUD info displayed):

40575 40576

strykerpsg
June 27th, 2011, 22:32
Hmmm, a bit disappointed. The HUD still looks the same and my autopilot switch still doesn't come on. Back to modding the cfg file again. Frank, anyway they can at least address the autopilot power switch? It's such a simple fix.

Matt

fsafranek
July 1st, 2011, 08:31
Hmmm, a bit disappointed. The HUD still looks the same and my autopilot switch still doesn't come on. Back to modding the cfg file again. Frank, anyway they can at least address the autopilot power switch? It's such a simple fix.

Matt
It works fine on my system so I can't replicate whatever the problem was/is. I'll ask in the beta forum if anyone is still having any problems. In the meantime, the AP on the 2D panel works fine and does update the AP in the VC.

coolguy3
July 3rd, 2011, 16:05
Well, after much internal debate, I FINALLY took the plunge and bought it today. I flew a circuit around KEDW....VERY COOL PLANE!!! :applause:

I know Erine Alston is working on an FMC for it, but in the meantime, I've inserted another freeware FMC that works off the FSX planner....I have yet to try it out on this plane, but it's worked with a couple of others nicely. (You can find it on Flightsim.com - search for "Garrett Smith honeywell fmc for fsx" or "fmc-1.zip". It's in the FSX panels section of the library.)

I :salute: Virtavia for a very well done airplane all the way around! Bravo Zulu, Guys!!

Jim

mal998
July 4th, 2011, 10:51
I have done some further testing on the VC autopilot power switch. What I discovered is this: if the battery power is turned off on then turned back on, the AP power switch will not work.

The easiest and quickest way to fix the AP power switch (VC) is to change the aircraft.cfg to show electrical always on.

That way, if you start from a cold/dark and turn on the electrical on the overhead panel, the autopilot switch will function properly.

bruce448
July 4th, 2011, 11:11
I have not tested this myself yet but try editing the following lines in the electrical section

autopilot = 0, 5, 0 //1, 5, 0
avionics_bus = 0, 10, 0//1, 10, 0

Bruce

mal998
July 4th, 2011, 12:12
I just tested Bruce's fix from a cold/dark cockpit and all seems to work perfectly.

I detected no problem with the autopilot switch after applying the fix.

Don't forget to change the electrical always available back to "0"

Many thanks to Bruce for helping to get this issue squared away!

StormILM
July 4th, 2011, 13:52
I just tested Bruce's fix from a cold/dark cockpit and all seems to work perfectly.

I detected no problem with the autopilot switch after applying the fix.

Don't forget to change the electrical always available back to "0"

Many thanks to Bruce for helping to get this issue squared away!

Mal, I just concluded the test and the fix works perfectly. No issues at all now.

N324JK
July 6th, 2011, 08:33
One thing I noticed, and it's only in a multiplayer session that requires a realistic IFF code depending on whether you file a VFR or IFR flight plan: the session bot doesn't recognize a change to the squawk code, even if I put in the right one (1200 for VFR, 2200 for IFR). I'd say it's a bot issue, but the bot recognizes the code on literally every other plane I fly (so if I start off squawking 1200, file an IFR plan, then change to 2200, it'll work in other planes; in the C17, the automated warning comes up that I'm not squawking 2200, even when I am). Not a truly huge deal if the session is VFR conditions, except that if I'm following ATC rules it means I can't fly above transition altitude. Otherwise, I can't fly IFR in the session at all. However, when I talk to controllers, they confirm I'm squawking the correct code - so something's missing there.

Thoughts (other than "just don't fly IFR in that session")?

FYI, other than this relatively minor issue, I LOVE the plane - favorite is the max performance tactical landing, very nice.

mal998
July 8th, 2011, 03:18
This has been taken under advisement. Will let you know if someone here can shed some more light on how to resolve the issue.

Thanks for the kind thoughts about the plane.

N324JK
July 8th, 2011, 05:11
Thanks - don't know what I was doing before signing up with SOH, great to have direct contact with the developers.

fsafranek
July 9th, 2011, 09:11
Just wondering if you happen to also have the Virtavia B-1B, the Skysim Mirage III/5 or the the ALS-SIM Su-27? These all use the same piracy protection system. Trying to narrow this down so just wondering if it is unique to the C-17 or can be reproduced in one of those since they have this one thing in common?

One thing I noticed, and it's only in a multiplayer session that requires a realistic IFF code depending on whether you file a VFR or IFR flight plan: the session bot doesn't recognize a change to the squawk code, even if I put in the right one (1200 for VFR, 2200 for IFR). I'd say it's a bot issue, but the bot recognizes the code on literally every other plane I fly (so if I start off squawking 1200, file an IFR plan, then change to 2200, it'll work in other planes; in the C17, the automated warning comes up that I'm not squawking 2200, even when I am). Not a truly huge deal if the session is VFR conditions, except that if I'm following ATC rules it means I can't fly above transition altitude. Otherwise, I can't fly IFR in the session at all. However, when I talk to controllers, they confirm I'm squawking the correct code - so something's missing there.

Thoughts (other than "just don't fly IFR in that session")?

FYI, other than this relatively minor issue, I LOVE the plane - favorite is the max performance tactical landing, very nice.

N324JK
July 9th, 2011, 10:50
I don't have any of the other aircraft listed. Are those the only payware that share the same anti-piracy? And I'm wondering what anti-piracy protection would have to do with an automated XPDR code recognition program.

Another way to attack this might be to ask the server host how the bot recognizes a XPDR code and then responds accordingly (e.g., it might be running off of a kind of IF_FP=IFR_AND_XPDR_=12XX_THEN_PLAY_INVXPDR.WAV, where the wav file is the audio message played for an invalid squawk code - note this isn't the actual programming, just an idea of what might be happening). If I knew what the bot's "looking for", that might pinpoint the problem (or at least eliminate it as a factor).

Just wondering if you happen to also have the Virtavia B-1B, the Skysim Mirage III/5 or the the ALS-SIM Su-27? These all use the same piracy protection system. Trying to narrow this down so just wondering if it is unique to the C-17 or can be reproduced in one of those since they have this one thing in common?

doublecool
July 10th, 2011, 13:21
I like this aircraft... it needs a few fixes but she is alot of fun. :applause:

Please for the repainters out there whom have her, a request for the QATAR paint like the area 51 version would be very nice...

for any takers on this request A big Thank You :wavey:

fsafranek
July 10th, 2011, 14:26
I asked about it a while back was told that Pierre who did the release textures was looking in to it. But that's all I know about it and it was a while ago.

Please for the repainters out there whom have her, a request for the QATAR paint like the area 51 version would be very nice...
for any takers on this request A big Thank You :wavey:

doublecool
July 10th, 2011, 14:38
Thank You Frank :salute:

Mark W
August 6th, 2011, 04:42
The ISG update is out with specific C-17 gauges, linked to a Smiths FMC. See Integrated Simavionics web page.It is wonderful!

fsafranek
August 6th, 2011, 09:50
The ISG update is out with specific C-17 gauges, linked to a Smiths FMC. See Integrated Simavionics web page.It is wonderful!

URL?

Found it: http://www.isgsim.com/?page=panel_library&sub=retro_virt_c17

forstmeier
January 8th, 2012, 02:22
Matt wrote:

Hi Matt,

The reason why I haven't yet bought it is the price tag....it's high, particularly for a plane that doesn't have an FMC. I know Ernie Alston is working on one for his ISG package, which is good, but I still think a plane of this price should have a fully (or as close to it as possible, given FSX limitations) functional FMC. I'm still VERY much considering buying it, though!

Cheers,
Jim

Hi, this is my first Post.

Maybe it is of interest.
My own corrected C-17A Virtavia ISG retrofit panel.

http://fsbuild.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=4229

Now all original switch buttons are working, even the original ones.

The retrofit did not include the 2 Virtavia_C-17!MFDX1 + MFDX2 Gauges necessary for the 2-D panel.
The 3-D panel is now including 2 ISG MCU as you can see on the image. Click on, the MCU is opening.

regards,
Raimund

Rattler
January 8th, 2012, 17:42
I find it rather odd that there are many versions of the same Bird being released at almost the sametime, Kinda makes it hard to make money at this dont ya think. Maybe there should be a Developers Summit, A meeting of the Minds, if you will so that everyone can compare notes on upcoming projects and decide on whos is making what. Maybe Im just dreaming but I do think it might help a Bit...... Oh Dont Mind me!!, Just happy to be here:salute::salute::salute:

:173go1::173go1::173go1::173go1:

strykerpsg
January 8th, 2012, 21:09
I find it rather odd that there are many versions of the same Bird being released at almost the sametime, Kinda makes it hard to make money at this dont ya think. Maybe there should be a Developers Summit, A meeting of the Minds, if you will so that everyone can compare notes on upcoming projects and decide on whos is making what. Maybe Im just dreaming but I do think it might help a Bit...... Oh Dont Mind me!!, Just happy to be here:salute::salute::salute:

I think it makes for a more competitive environment. Also helps moderate prices a bit, but I fear at the challenge of potentially shutting out their competition. I remember not so long ago, arguing a bit with Iris about their F-111 and F-35 forecast releases. They stopped working on their F-35 because of Dino's then pending F-35 release. I thought it was kinda strange, but also a bit admirable that their model back then was not to undermine other developers working on the same airframe. And the comparision of the Virtavia and Area 51 C-17 to me, are night and day. I find the Virtavia one a bit more modelled better than the Area 51 variant.

Matt

dougal
January 11th, 2012, 09:39
I think it makes for a more competitive environment. Also helps moderate prices a bit, but I fear at the challenge of potentially shutting out their competition. I remember not so long ago, arguing a bit with Iris about their F-111 and F-35 forecast releases. They stopped working on their F-35 because of Dino's then pending F-35 release. I thought it was kinda strange, but also a bit admirable that their model back then was not to undermine other developers working on the same airframe. And the comparision of the Virtavia and Area 51 C-17 to me, are night and day. I find the Virtavia one a bit more modelled better than the Area 51 variant.

Matt

I don't really understand what you're saying here Matt. You say the comparison is night and day, but also say the Virtavia one is only modelled a "bit" better.

I'd like one of these, but not sure which yet.

forstmeier
January 12th, 2012, 04:46
I don't really understand what you're saying here Matt. You say the comparison is night and day, but also say the Virtavia one is only modelled a "bit" better.

I'd like one of these, but not sure which yet.

The Virtavia C-17 is better but more expensive.

Nota:
Better without own FMC as with a bad FMC that maybe cannot be exchanged with other ones like the ISG.

Raimund

centuryseries
January 12th, 2012, 10:33
Both look great IMHO

SkippyBing
January 12th, 2012, 10:54

Yeah in most countries that sort of behaviour between competing companies is actually illegal, it's called a cartel, as it reduces competition and raises prices to the detriment of the consumer. i.e. you.

YoYo
March 1st, 2012, 08:01
Someone uses any Shockwave lights for Virtavia C-17A model ?
Does it work?

And one thing, revers works but plane cant move back, so this must be improved.

forstmeier
March 1st, 2012, 09:39
Someone uses any Shockwave lights for Virtavia C-17A model ?
Does it work?

And one thing, revers works but plane cant move back, so this must be improved.

Open Brakes. Press Key 'F1' be sure engine it at the Idle position.
Press the Key ' F2 ' for some second. The airplane is moving back 100%.

Think you have the payware airplane.

http://fsbuild.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=4229

visit: http://www.intrasystem.it/FSX/FSX.html

regards,
Raimund

YoYo
March 1st, 2012, 11:11
Yes, it works, I havent checked "reply" option on revers axis (button of slider). Its important.
Revers works well!

Time to check Shockwave Lights.

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-FBlj_OMItWY/T0_ZbBymOpI/AAAAAAAAjh8/q0uwaJYUJhA/s1200/C17_3.jpg

YoYo
March 8th, 2012, 13:45
The new review of model of Virtavia:

http://yoyosims.pl/C17AVirtavia.html

JIMJAM
March 8th, 2012, 17:04
Could not stand it so I broke down and got it. I have 3 pages of purchases at Simmarket so one more is not going to matter.

I am in the middle of my first shakedown flight on the way to KCHS which in real life is 100 miles south of me. I use to fly freight their alot so Ive dodged many a real C-5 in the old days and saw the first C-17s arrive.

First the vr pit. Looks better on the screen that the pics. Just enough detail to be convincing. As Ive said in alot of post my computer HATES crt displays which is why I held off on buying. BUT.... the performance I am getting so far is very very good. Old I7,2.8 ghz,Vista 64,6 gigs and every addon known to man. Activesky,Utx,GEX.......... I am getting 25-30 smooth where its locked. I am flying a sunset and the lighting is good. I was not looking for a systems heavy sim and with the AP popup its as easy as it gets. Sounds are excellant. Flight model. With the limited KEDW pattern work and the flight I am currently under way, so far its a good one. Plane has a good heavy feel to it. Lots of mass and just enought deadzone to give it that weighty feel in the turns. However its also pretty agile but not overdone. You never forget its a big boy.
I am not a tubeliner flyer,mostly military fast movers. The C-17 though I needed for that heavy aluminum cloud fix and so far I am very happy with my purchase.

forstmeier
June 8th, 2012, 08:56
The "XFER" button does not change/Toggle the ADF Frequencies. (ADF2 to ADF1)

The Nav/toggle Freq is working with "XFER".

Any Idea ?

Thanks

mllgrennman
August 24th, 2021, 04:10
electric_always_available =1 fixed the problem, but now it prevents the cold and dark start, and I can't shut her all the way down after. The electrical systems are noticeably on when they should be off.

mllgrennman
August 24th, 2021, 04:18
I have not tested this myself yet but try editing the following lines in the electrical section

autopilot = 0, 5, 0 //1, 5, 0
avionics_bus = 0, 10, 0//1, 10, 0

Bruce

My section already has the 1's...but I still have the problem.

[electrical]
max_battery_voltage = 24
generator_alternator_voltage = 28
max_generator_alternator_amps = 65
engine_generator_map = 1,1,1,1
electric_always_available = 0

flap_motor = 0, 5, 0
gear_motor = 0, 5, 0
autopilot = 1, 5, 0
avionics_bus = 1, 10, 0
avionics = 1, 5, 0
pitot_heat = 0, 2, 0