PDA

View Full Version : How do they do this??

Sid2008
June 1st, 2011, 07:28
Hi everyone, i was taught that when you make an aircraft with a VC, the "VC Model" must be part of the entire aircraft modeling package. I know how this works in FSDS because I make aircraft with VC in FSDS.

However, i kanow of people making a Convair 240 for FSX with a VC which is the default DC-3 VC.

How do they do that??

Thanks,
Sid

Killbilly
June 1st, 2011, 07:35
In FSX the VC is a separate model. The model.cfg file points to it. You can actually swap out VCs from one aircraft to the next with variable results.

Sid2008
June 1st, 2011, 07:50
Thank you.
Can you give me a brief/simple example of how this is done?
Sid

n4gix
June 1st, 2011, 07:55
Thank you.
Can you give me a brief/simple example of how this is done?
Sid

Here is a simple, but totally ludicrous example...

...simple edit of the model.cfg file specifying the C172's vc model with the B747_400's exterior model:

[models]
normal=B747_400
interior=..\C172\model\cessna172sp_interior

Sid2008
June 1st, 2011, 08:22
Gracias

Reddog
June 1st, 2011, 10:32
Here is a simple, but totally ludicrous example...

...simple edit of the model.cfg file specifying the C172's vc model with the B747_400's exterior model:

[models]
normal=B747_400
interior=..\C172\model\cessna172sp_interior

Hi, there got to be more to it than that. I just tried that with the Aerosoft Beaver using the default Beaver interior and when trying it out FSX wouldn't display the a/c.

centuryseries
June 1st, 2011, 10:50
Hi, there got to be more to it than that. I just tried that with the Aerosoft Beaver using the default Beaver interior and when trying it out FSX wouldn't display the a/c.

It really is as simple as that. Perhaps the Aerosoft has some kind of copy protection on their Beaver.

Try it with two defaults.

Dangerousdave26
June 1st, 2011, 11:36
I have not tried it yet with n4gix code but I think it is missing one set of ..\

This method does have limitations. It only works with truly native FSX aircraft. So if the model folder does not already have a interior mdl file then it will not work.

To test this a few months ago i combined the default Piper J3 Cub and the FSD P-38. :icon_lol:

Some of the other issues I found were that you need to move textures around or the vc will have no textures. Also the panel.cfg file needs modified because none of the gauges will show up.

Other than a neat little exercise to find out what you can do in FSX it really holds no real value to the average user. For the right modeler this could be very useful function.

n4gix
June 2nd, 2011, 09:41
I have not tried it yet with n4gix code but I think it is missing one set of ..\

It may well be. I just wrote that "off the cuff" so to speak, and I did mention it was a ludicrous example... :icon_lol:

Were I going to do an actual, working substitution, I'd simply copy the xxx_interior.mdl file to the host a/c's ..\model folder, then copy/paste all of the interior graphics files to the host a/c's ..\texture folder, and copy/paste the [VCockpitnn] entries to the host a/c's panel.cfg file so I'd have the gauges for the VC operational.

There are two important laws to keep in mind with this sort of thing:
unintended consequences
Murphy

expat
June 3rd, 2011, 06:43
Key is you need BOTH models to have been created as native using the FSX SDK.

I do it following this:

http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=17996209

anthony31
June 3rd, 2011, 16:55
Hi Sid

FSDS should generate separate models for VC and exterior models from the one project as long as you are exporting as FSX models. FSDS will do this automatically (and even write the model.cfg file for you).

However, you do not have to have the VC and exterior models in the same project using FSDS.

Personally, I use separate FSDS projects for the VC and exterior models (FSDS loads projects a bit quicker that way plus if I need to recompile I only need to do the model I am working on and not wait 5 minutes for both models to compile). It's then just a matter of using the model.cfg to tell FSX which model to use for the exterior (normal= in the model.cfg) and which to use for the VC (interior= in the model.cfg).

Pepere
June 4th, 2011, 05:07
There is more to it then just using a default VC in the model folder. You have to change your eyepoint of view in the aircraft.cfg.. and you have to add VC textures form the default textures folders (or what ever VC you are using). Some VC cannot be used other than in the aircraft intended because the makers of the aircraft don't want you to and have place "stuff" to prevent you from doing it. Also some VC are so far off that when you change your eyepoint it disappears (don't ask me why)

David