PDA

View Full Version : What do I put in a ReadMe file?

Walter
May 30th, 2011, 17:32
What info should I put in a readme file before I post a plane to simviation? I e-mailed the company that owned the plane, and they gave me permission to upload the plane as long as proper credit was given. It is a port over to FSX from FS2004.

Thank you,

Walter

N2056
May 30th, 2011, 17:34
I'd be interested to know what the plane in question is.

stansdds
May 30th, 2011, 17:36
The read me needs to be very clear that you were given permission by the designer of the plane. If it was formerly payware and is now freeware, that needs to be in the read me. Also, it would be very good to give information on who performed the port over, any changes that were made to the plane and any special instructions for installing the aircraft.

Walter
May 30th, 2011, 17:40
It is the freeware BF-109 from Skyunlimited. It made FSX crash, and I got help from the kind people at Flying Stations. It was discovered that it was a gauge that caused FSX to crash, and with the elimination of that gauge, FSX ran perfectly.

Walter

P.S. I don't know enough to provide technical support for the aircraft.

N2056
May 30th, 2011, 17:47
A couple of thoughts...

If you modified the file you are somewhat obligated to at least note that you did the mod, and not the original creator. It's not cool when they start getting requests for help on a mod they did not do.
Seems odd to ask here what to include in a readme for something you plan to upload somewhere else.

Walter
May 30th, 2011, 17:53
I was about to e-mail them and ask if I could upload it to SOH as well. This is the only main FSX website that I have an account for, so I posted here. :icon_lol:

Walter

N2056
May 30th, 2011, 17:54
Ahh, cool. I was hoping you were planning to include us! :salute:

Walter
May 30th, 2011, 18:01
Everybody here has been so helpfull, there is no way I could leave you all out of the fun! :jump:

Walter

Rich
May 30th, 2011, 18:26
Walter, I think Flying Stations would not want to get involved in any future requests that may arise from a mention in your readme, it was a one off gesture since it is not a Flying Stations model.

Walter
May 30th, 2011, 18:35
I'm good with that as long as I don't offend somebody for not giving proper credit.

Rich
May 30th, 2011, 18:40
Walter there was only one involved and he is quite happy to remain anonymous.

Walter
May 30th, 2011, 18:41
Understood.

I should get this done soon!

Walter

paulb
May 31st, 2011, 06:05
What info should I put in a readme file before I post a plane to simviation? I e-mailed the company that owned the plane, and they gave me permission to upload the plane as long as proper credit was given. It is a port over to FSX from FS2004.

Thank you,

Walter

Hi Walter

I suggest that you include two 'read me's'.

First of all include their 'read me' and call it 'original read me' or something like that.

Then include your read me -
Make reference to the 'original read me'.
State your thanks - including all 'permissions and restrictions' - and then explain exactly what original work you have done.
Add any info/loading instructions etc that you wish.
Lastly add your email address for any queries.

Hope this helps.

Cheers
Paul

n4gix
May 31st, 2011, 07:39
My question is, are there actually any people who DO read "readme.txt" files?

I've often felt that perhaps if I named the file "do_not_readme_under_penalty_of_death.txt" someone might be curious enough to open the file and read it... :icon_lol:

Dev One
May 31st, 2011, 07:43
One of mine was entitled ' When all else fails...'
Keith

OleBoy
May 31st, 2011, 09:44
I don't see what all the fuss is about. If the plane is still available out on the web, keep things simple. Give a link where they can download it from.

For the files you've used/created to get it to work;

1] Upload the mods you've done as a stand-alone mod/update.

2] Include a read-me stating what, and how to use it in the model to get it to work in FSX.

3] In the read-me, give instruction needed for implementing the use of them that make the aircraft usable.

4] Give mention in regards to permissions, etc, to the original model developer and leave it at that.

delta_lima
May 31st, 2011, 11:22
I don't see what all the fuss is about. If the plane is still available out on the web, keep things simple. Give a link where they can download it from.

For the files you've used/created to get it to work;

1] Upload the mods you've done as a stand-alone mod/update.

2] Include a read-me stating what, and how to use it in the model to get it to work in FSX.

3] In the read-me, give instruction needed for implementing the use of them that make the aircraft usable.

4] Give mention in regards to persissions, etc, to the original model developer and leave it at that.

I'm completely with OB on this.

Uploading an entire airplane somewhere where the only one person (not you) who helped fix one gauge issue seems kind of over the top. It's a fix, and a small one at that. Not that it wasn't good of you to find and investigate how to fix it - but I'd recommend an upload (and the associated verbage around it) in direct proportion to the issue at hand. It's not a model (.mdl) change, not even a texturing issue - it's a gauge fix, already.

Projects like those undertaken by Meshman, Falcon409 (T-33 etc.), and others who have spent entire weeks tweaking an FS9 model and/or VC are the ones that merit a big upload and splash to go with it.

Just my opinion ....

dl

Bjoern
May 31st, 2011, 15:10
My question is, are there actually any people who DO read "readme.txt" files?

I was thinking about an activation code that is found in the readme and has to be entered in an XML file to make the plane work.

Or ASCII-pin ups in the Readmes.

Or no Readme at all.