PDA

View Full Version : Which is the better teacher...taildragger or trike?

pilottj
May 29th, 2011, 11:03
Hey folks,
Here is an interesting debate for you. Which style of airplane is better to learn in? Which teaching method is better? I know it depends on the individual student as we all have our ways of learning.

The Trike style of teaching. Easier to learn the basics, safer, quicker to master, the student has a smaller workload to begin with and will gain confidence faster.

The Taildragger method of teaching. Not as forgiving, requires greater rudder coordination skills to master, thus more workload for the student and a longer training process. However the student will have a better understanding of hand to feet coordination.

So which would you rather start out with? The 152/Cherokee or the Cub/Citabria.

This leads to another question, do you think the earlier generation of stick n rudder pilots had a better sense of aircraft momentum and were more attuned to their airplanes because they learned in Cubs, Stearman, Chipmunks, Tigermoths?

Would be great to hear some opinions of any CFI's here. I know Ken would have a bit to say if he was here.

This could apply to other learning fields too such as driving (Stickshift or Automatic) or horsemanship (English or Western)

Personally, if I had the choice I would go back in time and redo my training in a taildragger so I would have a stronger instinct of hand to feet coordination in the plane.

Tako_Kichi
May 29th, 2011, 11:17
Interesting question. My first flights were in a Chipmunk so I'd say taildragger would be for me.

However, I have more stick/flight time in aircraft with only a single wheel (in the middle) so does that make them a trike or taildragger?! :icon_lol:

CodyValkyrie
May 29th, 2011, 11:32
I find it the equivalent to driving a standard (tricycle gear) to driving a manual (tail dragger). Most tail draggers are more susceptible to adverse yaw, and with ground looping and various landing techniques available, I believe those who learn in a tail dragger learn more about airmanship.

I am positive there are a lot of CFIs out there who disagree with me. :D

beana51
May 29th, 2011, 11:35
TAIL DRAGGER!....stick and rudder....The training tool for thousands of pilots in both WW1 and WW2....it is more demanding in wind,especially take off and Landings.....Not to say Triks have not been around for a long time,and used also,...but from a CUB,to a B-17 bomber...it had a tail wheel......become proficent in a tail dragger ,ya can fly any thing.

The other timeless debate is ..High Wing ,VS low wing!..their are legions of advocates for both....

Come to think of it the Wright Flyer just Skidded along.And the Curtiss Pusher was indeed a TRIKE!

Cessna "LAND -O-MATIC" I think never did.....its always "STICK AND RUDDER"!http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/images/icons/icon23.gif

OleBoy
May 29th, 2011, 12:32
If you want to see the runway all the way to the ground, tri-gear. If you don't, tail dragger. I prefer the latter.

Edit; For teaching, trike definitely. It's just one thing less that a new pilot has to think about.

txnetcop
May 29th, 2011, 13:55
Taildragger period...

mmann
May 29th, 2011, 14:09
The local flight school in my area uses Cessna 172's. The military for Canada uses the Slingsby T-67 Firefly for primary training but is considering either the Aeromacchi SF 260 or the Grob 120 as a replacement (all of which use tricycle landing gear). Taildraggers are yesteryear aircraft.

Regards, Mike Mann

Overshoe
May 29th, 2011, 16:01
Nostalgia is fine in FS where a ground loop won't break anything or kill anyone, but in the real world I want a Cessna 172. It really is just that simple. :wiggle:

txnetcop
May 29th, 2011, 16:09
The local flight school in my area uses Cessna 172's. The military for Canada uses the Slingsby T-67 Firefly for primary training but is considering either the Aeromacchi SF 260 or the Grob 120 as a replacement (all of which use tricycle landing gear). Taildraggers are yesteryear aircraft.

Regards, Mike Mann

I AGREE MIKE, the question was which was the better teacher. If you fly a taildragger correctly you really know a little more than the average pilot. I owned a 140 for years and years. I can't count the times I took experienced trike gear drivers up and they could not land that aircraft without lots of coaching. Many things can go wrong...

pilottj
May 29th, 2011, 16:45
Nostalgia is fine in FS where a ground loop won't break anything or kill anyone, but in the real world I want a Cessna 172. It really is just that simple. :wiggle:

I would agree too, the 172 is a wonderful airplane, I got about 200hrs in it. Sometimes tho I think the 172 is a little too forgiving, it lets you get away with things that can lead to bad habits that will kill you otherwise in other airplanes. I remember early in my training being uncoordinated/overcorrecting on Base to Final and my instructor saying if you did that in a Bonanza you would be dead now....good incentive not to do it :icon_lol:

As far as loosing sight of the runway, even in a trike single during a well executed flare you loose foward sight of the runway for a few seconds and have to rely on your peripherals as you touch down. Sometimes after landing the nosegear oleo strut would get stuck in the extended position...taxiing felt like a taildragger until you did a quick slam on the brakes to get it back down :)

Cheers
TJ

wbuchart
May 29th, 2011, 18:42
Although getting to flying a T-6 Texan once was the hight point of my flying days...

beana51
May 29th, 2011, 19:25
Yes Cessna's ,except the C-140,and Pipers except the Cub,are great for introduction to flying..yes, forgiving,,,many a sloppy turn to finial in a C-150,saved the day...not so in some other planes...."Driving a plane is not flying a plane".again once the wheels leave the grass ,no real difference in most planes,,but a X-wind situation??? white knuckles,and start toe dancing.,slipping,...now on a sim,..,of which I think is a great training tool for real flying around,but when it comes to X-Wind T/O or Landings...well!!....try it on the Sim,set up strong X-wind...and thank God ya got instant replay.However.Ultra lights are trikes, great Vis and still that X-wind will,and can, GETCHA!,..ask ROLLERBALL on TOH!. he can relate his incident! ditto for hang gliding,and landing in a chute1..ITS THE WIND!.Its all flight and everyone is different...... it could take very many Take Off and landings to get it right,for every one is different,and so are we!. In a pilots "BFR" at least one hour is ground instruction ,and at least one hour in flight...if you are having trouble ,or are rusty with X-winds,and other stuff..it Will be longer before ya get Signed off!..again a Sweaty time.But on the Sim? why a trot to the Frig will solve all!!<label for="rb_iconid_24">http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/images/icons/icon23.gif</label>
I know most have read the great book "STICK AND RUDDER"by Wolfgang Langewiesche,...With a Handel like that,The man must know something...and he does..
if you have not?, highly Recommended......Cheers all!<label for="rb_iconid_20">http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/images/icons/icon22.gif</label>

glennc
May 29th, 2011, 19:39
My thought is to learn in something similar to what you will fly once you have the "license to learn". If you will be flying in rough country where taildraggers are common and that's what you will be flying, start there. I have never done it, but I think some tail dragger time would be good for any pilot for all the reasons everyone one else has noted, besides I expect being just plain (or is that plane?) fun.

Glenn

pilottj
May 29th, 2011, 23:00
Yes Cessna's ,except the C-140,and Pipers except the Cub,are great for introduction to flying..yes, forgiving,,,many a sloppy turn to finial in a C-150,saved the day...not so in some other planes...."Driving a plane is not flying a plane".again once the wheels leave the grass ,no real difference in most planes,,but a X-wind situation??? white knuckles,and start toe dancing.,slipping,...now on a sim,..,of which I think is a great training tool for real flying around,but when it comes to X-Wind T/O or Landings...well!!....try it on the Sim,set up strong X-wind...and thank God ya got instant replay.However.Ultra lights are trikes, great Vis and still that X-wind will,and can, GETCHA!,..ask ROLLERBALL on TOH!. he can relate his incident! ditto for hang gliding,and landing in a chute1..ITS THE WIND!.Its all flight and everyone is different...... it could take very many Take Off and landings to get it right,for every one is different,and so are we!. In a pilots "BFR" at least one hour is ground instruction ,and at least one hour in flight...if you are having trouble ,or are rusty with X-winds,and other stuff..it Will be longer before ya get Signed off!..again a Sweaty time.But on the Sim? why a trot to the Frig will solve all!!<LABEL for=rb_iconid_24>http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/images/icons/icon23.gif</LABEL>
I know most have read the great book "STICK AND RUDDER"by Wolfgang Langewiesche,...With a Handel like that,The man must know something...and he does..
if you have not?, highly Recommended......Cheers all!<LABEL for=rb_iconid_20>http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/images/icons/icon22.gif</LABEL>

LOL yeah the other night I used the weather finder feature on ASE took me to some place in Nevada that gave me a 20kt crosswind. I hopped in the RealAir Citabria and had fun :) Very tricky, and it was a fairly large runway, would be very difficult on small 25-50' wide strips. It reminds you of why it is highly suggested you use proper crosswind correction techniques while taxiing :)...controls positioned for climb/turn in to a quartering headwind, dive away from a quartering tailwind...keep that tail on the ground! Xwind corrections on a ground in a trike is a great habit too.

Francois
May 29th, 2011, 23:24
Since I have 75 % of my stick time in taildraggers, that's what I voted for. But in fact I don't know what's 'better'. Define 'better' ?

Stefano Zibell
May 30th, 2011, 02:17
The way I see things, it depends on where you're landing. But I'm more of a tricycle gear guy. For learning, I would go with that.

rvn817j
May 30th, 2011, 03:46
The most important phases of flight are takeoff and landing (because you are in close proximity to the ground and any mishap can bend your airplane or you or both). Learning to fly in a conventional gear aircraft (tail-dragger) teaches a student better takeoff and landing technique simply because a tail-dragger is more challenging to properly handle during taxi, takeoff and landing. You have to use all aircraft control surfaces (throttle, aileron, elevator and rudder) to a greater degree than when flying a trike. So, the tail-dragger aircraft is a better teacher, but once the skills are learned where are you?

This perspective is based on having owned a Citabria and now I own and operate an RV-8. I 'learned' to fly in a C152, learned much more owning and operating tail-draggers. When I have an opportunity (like taking a BFR) I try to fly in trike (DA-40, Barron, or my friends Cardinal RG). All fine aircraft and each have their own unique characteristics.

Since I haven't ever owned one and the 'other man's grass is greener', I'd like to have a retractable gear TRIKE with some speed....like a Turbine Legend or Lancair IVP. (I'd settle for trading up to a Rocket.) Really just looking for more SPEED. Oh well, there is always something on the shopping list and I'm glad I have FSX to give me a taste of speed.

kilo delta
May 30th, 2011, 04:13
Any of my RW training was in tricycle geared a/c (C150/C152,C172 and Socata Rallye) mainly due to the fact that there wasn't any taildraggers available for training.
Ideally..I'd love to train in (and own) an RV-7...not an A model though (http://www.airliners.net/photo/Van's-RV-7A/1225773/)!:kilroy:

Curtis P40
May 30th, 2011, 05:30
I learned to fly in Piper 140/180's. After getting my PPL I joined the Civil Air Patrol and started flying their PA-18 Super Cub. Landings and especially X- wind landings were always a challenge for me in the 140/180's. In the Super Cub they were a piece of cake. Don't know if it was tail dragger vs Trike or stick in the right hand and left hand on the throttle vs that control wheel thingy. All I know is it made flying a lot funner.

SkippyBing
May 30th, 2011, 07:40
To some extent it comes down to the psychology of learning and what the end aim is, i.e. being able to fly a plane.
As with most things it's best to start off on the easy stuff and then move to the harder stuff. For example you don't have calculus as the first thing you teach children about maths, you start off with 2 + 2 = 4.
So if it's harder to learn to fly in a tail dragger (don't know never taken off or landed one and after that they're the same!) it will ultimately produce better pilots, however it will probably take longer and have a higher drop out rate.
To take it to extremes, the English Electric Lightning was something of a challenge to fly, consequently the RAF didn't put baby pilots in the cockpit and say crack on, learn on this and you'll be a better pilot. They had a program that worked up to flying it using progressively more difficult types as stepping stones to get there.
So what do you mean by 'better teacher' the one who gets the most students to achieve the aim - flying a plane, or the one who produces the students best at doing it?

olderndirt
May 30th, 2011, 17:39
Many years ago, a friend and I were learning to fly. He in his Luscombe 8 and me in my Cessna 140. When it got to checkride time, he went into Anchorage and took his ride in a 150 - "because he wanted to pass" - not all days are good wheel landing days. His airmanship from having learned in his Luscombe made the checkride in the 150 a walk in the park. Myself, I faced the checkride in my 140 - my wheel landings were described as controlled crow-hops but I passed - and that's the name of the game.

beana51
May 30th, 2011, 19:54
The ERCOUPE,415-C..for $2,665. ya could own a jaunty plane,sliding cockpit ,canopy.forked Tail,.yer very own P-38, with 65 hp. Continental A-65 engine, providing a cruising speed of 105 mph , with no rudder pedals,would not stall,Limited Up elevator,and it drove around on the ground like a car!..X-winds? no problem,with Castering Landing gear ,you crabbed it to touch down,into as much as a 25mph X-Wind!!.The nose wheel straigned ya out..No problem.flying for the masses after WW2.in1946.

Many thought the Ercoupe was a fun plane to fly.Slide open the windows,open cockpit fun.In Summer,smell the hay Fields..many thought the Ercoupe was the greatest plane ever!

But it was accumulative Peer Ridicule at air ports that done it in..this by those Haughty TAIL DRAGGER PILOTS!...Park next to a Cub, or a Strearman,with this,ya got the Ole HE Haw!\Snickering and all...Darn those Tail Dragger Pilots..Me? welll I flew it a few times,and I liked it..but I was Young ,and Those BULLY,SNOOTY WW2 fighter Jocks,Tail dragger Pilots was to much to put up with..WHAT NO RUDDER PEDALS?? YA MEAN YA CANNOT SPIN IT..WON'T STALL??..thats no plane,Thats a KIDDI CAR!and so on!!....From then on , Aviation for the Masses went BACKWARDS,and may still be doing it..Egos,Money,the GOTTCHA attitude,,and many trying to keep up with the Jones at the Hangers, and falling on their face!for Ya see HANGER TALK WAS A FORCE to be Reckoned with!!............The OLE HICCUP!was an American classic!!..in retrospect ,I sill am sorry for not having one..it was all a young flyer ever needed!!The girls then also liked it...For they knew they too could fly it..BUT of Course!!<label for="rb_iconid_19">http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/images/icons/icon26.gif</label>

wconkle
May 30th, 2011, 21:56
I'm currently just finishing my 26th hour of training for Private, and I'm doing most of it in a Citabria. I took my first lesson in the Citabria for my fifth hour, by which time I had flown a 172 and Warrior, and had three other instructors! After another 10 hours switching it up like that, I've decided to mostly stick with the Citabria, though I'll be doing my long cross country next week in the Warrior.
When I first flew the Citabria, I was a little nervous, due to all the stories about ground looping taildraggers, but my opinion has always been, 'if thousands of other people can do it, so can I'. Well, the first two hours worth of landings were pretty sorry in the Citabria (even though I had been landing the 172 fine from the first lesson, thanks to FSX). And I have proven to myself that it's harder to ground loop than some make it out to be. My first taildragger landings were in crosswind and on pavement, and they were UGLY! I learned that you can perform S turns at 60 mph and still not ground loop. My instructor kept saying, 'You're not the worst I've seen by far', and I started calling him the bravest person I know. Fortunately, by the third hour, it began to feel natural and has since been much more controlled, if not pretty!
Having flown both tailwheel and tricycle gear now, I would say that it hasn't made much difference to me, except the fact that I really had never learned how to use the rudder in the 172 and Warrior, whereas the Citabria demanded it. Also, the tricycle easily tolerates lateral movement on landing but the tailwheel punishes you quickly and harshly for it. Consequently, I have learned to keep it on centerline! Also, not having flaps has turned out to be a blessing, because I've become very comfortable with flying a slip to bleed speed on final.
Mostly, I prefer the Citabria because it's just more responsive and FUN to fly, and the ability to spin it has provided some respite from the work of learning to fly! And in the end, it will save me some money because I'll still get my Private with 40 hours of training, and I will not have to pay for additional dual to transition to tricycles, whereas (according to my instructor) it takes several hours of dual for someone who learned only in tricycles to get their Tailwheel signoff.
Hats off to Aaron and Brant at Acro Air in Huntsville, AL. Also to the Real Air developers, because I fly my lessons in their Citabria before I do them in real life, and their Citabria is EXTREMELY accurate!

T6flyer
May 30th, 2011, 23:02
Started in the Cessna 150. but wished had learnt in a tailwheel aeroplane!! Flown lots of hours in Cubs, but always found (and still do) the Auster a very difficult aeroplane to master. As to the larger taildraggers, only have about 50 hours all from the backseat, so cant really comment there.

Martin

pilottj
May 31st, 2011, 13:06
LOL Beana yeah the Ercoupe drivers seem to get similar ribbing that Skymaster drivers get from 'real' twin drivers. :D

It is funny, I have been watching the poll, it seems there was a big initial jump in taildraggers, then the trikes caught up, then another spike in taildraggers, trikes catching up again to a roughly 51% to 49% in favor of the taildraggers. That would make sense here being this forum has a general fondness for older airplanes. I bet if I asked the same question at PMDG or even Avsim it would probably be skewed a bit in favor of the Trikes. It isn't meant to be a competition really, just curiosity about preferences in teaching and learning styles.

lol here you go Wconkle...I plan on teaching my wife to fly in FSX using the Citabria/taildragger method....if she groundloops it...no biggie..and she will build good fundamental rudder coordination skills early on.
http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f349/pilottj/flightsim/trainers.jpg

vora
May 31st, 2011, 13:20
I voted for taildragger though I began on a Cessna 150. When I got instructed in my first taildragger (motoglider SF25C) I found the conversion rather difficult.
I'm a "learn-the-harder-way-first" type of guy.

mmann
May 31st, 2011, 14:14
I'm a "learn-the-harder-way-first" type of guy.

So I guess that means that you learned to ride a unicycle instead of a bicycle first?

Regards, Mike Mann

beana51
May 31st, 2011, 14:55
HA! HA! Yes that's true PILOTTJ...those guys took grief also..when in fact the sky master solved single engine out yaw in a twin!.which kills!.....but its Pure American!!..the aggressive competitive ,drive,,,weather its planes ,boats ,Cars, or even Football teams,it will always be that RIVALRY!.....like GO GIANTS Go!.. but watch the SKINS this year! Or GO GO GO to the MOON!..its us!!..It always fostered growth,new concepts.I Love it!.....
Like this FORD ROUSH Mustang is the BEST EVER!<label for="rb_iconid_20">http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/images/icons/icon22.gif</label> .....Have fun!

Bone
May 31st, 2011, 19:37
This question always comes up in the bastion of novice flyers, for some reason. Tail draggers have some special needs when it comes to ground contact and handling, but that's about it....they FLY the same. Do tail draggers make you a better pilot, NO. Do nose draggers make you an inferior pilot, NO. I've seen people (low timers and no timers for the most part) argue this point until they were blue, and it's a bit ridiculous, really. There are highly skilled pilots out there who have 5000, 10000, 20000 hours of flight time leaving contrails all around the planet, but not one minute of tail dragger time. There's alot of fighter pilots out there who have never flown a tail dragger, and I don't think they feel short-changed for not getting to train on a tail dragger.

The kind of pilot you are has more to do with who you are, rather than what you train on. Once you get away from the light single engine world of aviation, you really realize those type planes don't prepare you for much more than VERY basic stuff, anyway. Fly both, and enjoy both.

vora
June 1st, 2011, 01:33
So I guess that means that you learned to ride a unicycle instead of a bicycle first?

Regards, Mike Mann

This example is bit lacking (don't ride unicycles). ;)

A better one would be learning to drive a car with manual transmission before you "convert" to a car with an automatic one. The other way around would be impractical IMHO.
The handling on the ground, take-off and landing are more demanding on a taildragger. Converting to a trike should be easier (as to convert from a manual to an automatic car).

mmann
June 1st, 2011, 07:25
A better one would be learning to drive a car with manual transmission before you "convert" to a car with an automatic one. The other way around would be impractical IMHO.

The driver training program I took (40 years ago) used automatic transmission vehicles; the reason was to train drivers to steer, parallel park and be observant of the rules of the road. This was easier to achieve without having the students concentrating on the relatively (in comparison) unimportant task of shifting the vehicles transmission. I later went on to a manual shift transmission with no problems, so I guess the driver training program took the right approach.

Regards, Mike Mann

pilottj
June 1st, 2011, 08:46
It might depend on the type of training program available. I think in a large school environment such as ERAU or a military training program where time of training is an important factor...they would go with the Trike/Automatic method.

For those who are able to learn to drive from their parents/grandparents/friends or go to a small FBO with 1 or 2 planes and are not on a schedule, it might be beneficial to go with the more difficult Taildragger/Manual method. When there is no limit on the time, you can really spend the time to practice coordination first until it is instinctual, then move on to the meat of the training. As some have pointed out to, it probably depends on the environment in which you will fly. If you plan on doing a lot of bush flying, strong rudder coordination instinct is vital, then it would be wise to go the Taildragger method.

Ultimately it is the preference of the student or the teacher/school.

PRB
June 1st, 2011, 10:13
It might depend on the type of training program available. I think in a large school environment such as ERAU or a military training program where time of training is an important factor...they would go with the Trike/Automatic method.

You seem to be implying that military training programs, because they are in such a hurry to crank out pilots, don't have time to “properly” train their students in the mysterious ways of tail draggers, so they settle for “nose draggers.” If so, I would have to disagree a little. The training military pilots get is arguably superior to what civilian private pilot training courses provide. The reason military training airplanes are all nose draggers is because military pilots will never have to fly tail draggers. Does this mean that military pilots are somehow lacking something, anything, in their set of skills because they have never flown a tail dragger? I would find that hard to believe.

To answer the initial question in this thread, it seems to me that it makes more sense to start training with a nose dragger. It's the “step-by-step” approach. Walk, then run. If you have two otherwise identical pilots, each with 1000 hours, half in tail draggers and half in nose draggers, but Joe's first 500 hours was in tail draggers, and Suzy's first 500 was in nose draggers, which, after 1000 hours, is the better pilot? Answer, none, they are probably equal. In other words, starting in nose draggers, then transitioning to tail draggers, if you have to, doesn't result in a less skilled pilot than the other way around. Just my two pesos.

beana51
June 1st, 2011, 10:59
During the second world war technology leaps were placing kids skilled at driving a horse and buggy into the pits of some of the most sophisticated machines man has ever produced and those farmer's children had to deal with issues as intuitive as the compressibilty of air near the speed of sound!

Today it takes a year and a half and about 300 hours of flight time plus 1,000 hours of ground school to teach a college engineering graduate to fly a F-16. People, an F16 is many magnitudes of order "EASIER" to fly than a BF109 or a P47D!

Losses during WWII ran something like this; about 1/3 to training crashes, about 1/3 to operational accidents; and about 1/3 to enemy combat. It was twice as dangerous to learn, and get into combat, than it was to actually fly the mission!

More USAAF pilots were killed in the "graveyard spiral" than were killed in combat, more pilots and crews were lost in scud running and weather related collisions with the ground than were lost in combat.

Of course Kamikaze pilots had no such Problem...9/11 taught us some parts of flying can be learned,and other parts disregarded..

As of the end of 2006, in General aviation, there were 597,109 active certificated pilots, according to the AOPA Jan. 12, 07 newsletter which cites the FAA's estimates. This number has been declining slowly over the long term, down from a high of over 827,000 pilots in 1980.

I wonder how many Flight Simulator Pilots are the in the world?

Drone pilots and crews are the vanguard of a revolution in warfare, one that the U.S. military and intelligence agencies have bet on heavily. The first Predator carrying weapons was rushed to Afghanistan just four days after the Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist attacks. Today, the Air Force is spending nearly $3 billion a year buying and operating drones, and is training pilots to fly more unmanned than manned aircraft. Demand is so strong that even non-pilots such as civil engineers and military police are being trained.
More than 7,000 drones of all types are in use over Iraq and Afghanistan. The planes have played an integral part in the offensive now being carried out in Marja, Afghanistan, by U.S. Marines and British and Afghan troop.

an Air Force captain, was heading for his day shift on a new kind of job, one that could require him to kill another human being 7,500 miles away. Seated in a padded chair inside a low, tan building, he controlled a heavily armed drone aircraft soaring over Afghanistan. When his shift ended, he drove 40 minutes back through the desert to the hustle and neon of Las Vegas......

I would think this will end the debate ......I do not think the RED BARON would like this warfare.....for him no honor,no risk,no winning or losing,no sweat,no blood,no tears ,no shouts of joy,no exhilaration,...now just do your job,and off to dinner! War totally desensitized and antiseptic!..like some Star Trek Episode of Old!

pilottj
June 1st, 2011, 11:31
The highly trained military pilot is excellent within his own flying environment. He would have no problem flying an F-16, especially with computers taking care of a lot of the stick n rudder stuff to allow the pilot to focus on the combat. Ask the F-16 pilot to land a Supercub on a riverbank in a tight valley on a gusty day, he would probably have a hard time. Likewise ask the experienced bush pilot to fly an F-16 would have a hard time too. However with the order of training I would think it would be slightly easier for the Bush Pilot to learn the F-16 than the F-16 pilot to learn the Supercub..and master them in their native flying environments. That being said I think the fighter pilot and the bush pilot have a lot in common in their instinct of momentum changes.

To echo Beana, i know we are armchair sim pilots but take the A2A P-47 and the VRS F-18. Once the systems are mastered in each, which is the more difficult plane to fly? Personally I think the P-47 is the more difficult plane to takeoff and land, especially in adverse conditions.

"If you have two otherwise identical pilots, each with 1000 hours, half in tail draggers and half in nose draggers, but Joe's first 500 hours was in tail draggers, and Suzy's first 500 was in nose draggers, which, after 1000 hours, is the better pilot? Answer, none, they are probably equal.

I would bet that Joe's crosswind landings are a little more precise as might be his Chandelles and Lazy 8s if they were both going for their commercial ticket.

Bone
June 1st, 2011, 12:17
People, an F16 is many magnitudes of order "EASIER" to fly than a BF109 or a P47D!

Losses during WWII ran something like this; about 1/3 to training crashes, about 1/3 to operational accidents; and about 1/3 to enemy combat. It was twice as dangerous to learn, and get into combat, than it was to actually fly the mission!

More USAAF pilots were killed in the "graveyard spiral" than were killed in combat, more pilots and crews were lost in scud running and weather related collisions with the ground than were lost in combat.

What do graveyard spirals, scud running, and CFIT have to do with tail draggers, and their "supposed" difficulty to fly over an F-16? Once the tail dragger is off the ground it flys like a plane. I find your cross reference to these loss rates and tail draggers to be irrelevent. The loss rate of USAAF pilots you're refering to didn't have anything to do with the fact they were tail draggers (or even P-47's). It was the relatively unsophisticated training doctrine of the day that influenced most of these mishaps. The first few squadrons of B-17's in the Air Corps didn't even utilize checklists. Checklists came about after years of crashes. They finally figured out they needed something to remind pilots to accomplish certain tasks, and to keep them from crashing. The ever growing rules and regs got bigger every time someone crashed (oops, better make a rule so that doesn't happen again.)

You may also be forgetting something else, they were training everyone and his dog to fly back then to win a war. Obviously many of these people were smart enough to learn to fly, but probably shouldn't have been out flying alone. Think "Doctors and their V-tail Bonanza's" or "Doctors in their Beech Barons", and then add to that "20 year old farm kid".

fliger747
June 1st, 2011, 12:40
My dad learned how to fly during WWI, at Grand Prarie Texas, in a Stearman. About 5% of his cohorts were killed just in primary training. Perhaps not so much to do with the Stearman, or the students, or instructors, but wiht the war emergency. No one in training command today wants to be anywhere near an accident, brings a lot of heat!

Military pilots do get better training, for what they do. However I fly with a wide vareity of pilots of varying backgrounds from F-14 carrier jocks to C5 pukes. At the experienced level, the profeciency is often an individual matter. Civilian pilots, experienced ones, often have a lot more hours under much more varied conditions and a somewhat different view and response to situations.

I started out as a bush pilot, taught myself to fly taildraggers, back when you could do such things. There are different paths, no one knows it all. Challenging flying makes a better pilot.... if you are up to it.

T

beana51
June 1st, 2011, 14:41
Maby be old? but still is true!!<label for="rb_iconid_19">http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/images/icons/icon26.gif</label>

http://pic80.picturetrail.com/VOL2011/12979904/23096569/397052549.jpg

warchild
June 2nd, 2011, 07:07
Actually, as entertaining as this thread could be, i must ask that everyone keep a level head about them, before it gets nasty.
Taildraggers, Tricycles. So what??
Bush flying
Commercial transport
Cargo,
sport, hang gliding,
glider
Weather research
SAR
Ground support
Attack
firebombing
each and everyone of those would twist the brain of any pilot if they never did it before. Doesnt matter if its tail dragger or not.. As for learning?? How good the tool is isnt anywhere near as important as the effort applied by the student. If the effort is there, then both types are equally as good.. You can always transition later on..

Cactuskid
June 2nd, 2011, 20:55
I have to agree that a taildragger is best to learn on. My first flying lessons were in a restored WWII vintage Stearman PT-17. If you can handle that on the ground, you can handle just about anything. When I finished for my private license it was in a 152.

flyingip
June 3rd, 2011, 03:34
As said many times above. If you can fly a taildragger, you can fly about anything.
Converting from taildragger to trike is a lot easier then trike to taildragger.

Now I wished there were N-Registered taildraggers available for rent in Belgium so I could fill my logbook with them :)

SkippyBing
June 3rd, 2011, 09:16
As said many times above. If you can fly a taildragger, you can fly about anything.

I'd have thought it was - if you can take-off and land a taildragger you can take-off and land anything, between those two events the undercarriage layout is irrelevant.

norab
June 3rd, 2011, 14:54
My vote is for taildraggers. learned in Cubs and T-crafts but to go a little off topic my instructor used to say the best thing was a float plane because you had all the runway you needed and it was never crosswind. He said once you had the mechanics down solidly than it was easier to learn to deal with crosswinds and runway lengths

beana51
June 3rd, 2011, 15:43
Landing fields, grass and not hard runways,was a way to deal with X-Winds.like Water landings , mentioned,the touch down was into the wind!so to Take offs...Imperative with air craft carriers!....With STOL types ,great..for others ??? need a bigger field!..The WINDSOCK was key indicator then on land,Water?? the Waves!...It was No wind water ,that gave FITS..Flaring and to be not sure of Touch down spot.....so too was a Sectional chart,Rolled up, in hand of an instructor in tandem ,aft of you!!....WHACKINGS on yer Head ,got yer attention....After all that ,for any FAA Flight requirement demonstration,..Why the C-150 was the best!!...LAND-O-MATIC!....that's a joke son!!<label for="rb_iconid_20">http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/images/icons/icon22.gif</label>

Kofschip
June 4th, 2011, 10:53
I voted for the taildragger. Learned to fly on the Tiger Moth and then the T6 Harvard (:icon_lol:).
My driving instructor had me light his smoke, while I was turning around the corner and shifting amongst bikes and pedestrians. Now that was hard work!!!:icon_lol:

beana51
June 4th, 2011, 18:53
Interesting!...Time in a Tiger Moth!!!..Only Tiger Moth I flew was Bill Lyons,and I liked that plane...Can you tell us about that time in the Tiger moth Kofschip? And does the FS9 model bears any resemblance in handling at all to the real plane...Thanks Vin!!<label for="rb_iconid_19">http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/images/icons/icon26.gif</label>

TeaSea
June 5th, 2011, 10:12
I would defer back to Francois....sort of means what you mean by "better".

I can appreciate all the votes for a tail wheel configuration as a better learning platform, but I suspect the numbers simply don't support that idea.

Tricycle configurations prevail due to several important considerations that go beyond simply learning to operate an airplane.

Overall they are safer, which means less cost for insurance.

They are indeed easier platforms to learn on (And yes, I do agree with the stipulation that if you learn on a taildragger first, you will find transition to a tricycle arrangement easier -- but then again, if you kill yourself first you won't have to worry about transition).

There are more made, which tends makes them less expensive to purchase, and means that most pilots are trained on the platform they will actually operate.

Being the most prevalent platform also means they are generally cheaper to operate as parts and trained technicians are in greater supply. Not to say that any given taildragger will be less expensive, just that at the macro level that will not be the case.

Having said all that, if any pilot wants to go do initial training in a tailwheeled aircraft, I would encourage him to so. The important thing is doing the training and getting the license...period.

I myself am working on getting signed off on tailwheel certification...that's why I've become aware of some of the costs as I deal with my insurance company.

pilottj
June 5th, 2011, 15:51
the question I asked of 'better' is subjective as we all learn different ways. This is really about how we prefer to learn, and also how we prefer to teach. Which method do you use to teach your kids or friends things? Some of us prefer the 'lets be overwelmed at first and struggle, while learning alot' (stick shift) method, some prefer the 'take one step at a time and get the fundamentals down' method (automatic). Neither one is really better or worse, it depends on who you are.

Now I know many of you have been in the military, I would offer this comparison that the taildragger is kind of like the drill instructor. 'Your @#$$ coordination @#$% stinks!...I am going to @#$% ground loop on you for that!' It scares the hell out of you for fear of embarrasment or worse but it really forces you to focus. The trike is a bit friendlier, kind of like the very positive 'you can do it' teacher. 'Oh, you landed with a little bit of sideloading, don't worry, you are getting the hang of it!' It strenghtens your confidence and lets you build on it.

Both methods are going to produce great pilots, it all comes back to the individual...what works for you.

tracyq144
June 8th, 2011, 13:42
Coming from a somewhat different perspective (driving 18-wheelers), I would prefer the "manual" vs. the "automatic" way of learning. I'm not a pilot although I took my first lessons in a Champ, later in a 152.

It just seems to me that flying a small airplane is like shooting baskets in basketball. I would rather learn to shoot baskets within the standard, regular dimensions, rather that having a basket that was 2 feet larger in circumference, and two feet lower, just because it was "easier".

Maybe it is a "snob" thing, I don't know, I just like to think that I am doing things the hard way. (Or "more learning the basics" way.)

Although it's obvious that the real pilots on this forum who have never flown a taildragger are waaaaaay in advance of myself, who has taken lessons, but never obtained my PPL.