PDA

View Full Version : Is it me, or am I missing something?

TomSteber
May 27th, 2011, 14:10
I like to fly out of my (original) home town airport in Menominee, MI (KMNM).
In real life there is a large river that runs from just south and west and to the north.
Now, I swear it was there the last time I flew in FSX. Maybe I'm crazy. I know it's there in FS9.
I flew there yesterday and there's nothing there! It looks as though the river mouth is there, but no river.
I have added no scenery. Not to that area anyway. Other rivers show up in other places.
Can anyone confirm this for me?
Is the river there or not?

Roger
May 27th, 2011, 14:21
I'm going to fire up FsX and see what I can see. I'll report back later.

Roger
May 27th, 2011, 14:37
Here's what I see zoomed out and there's the river in the distance. It maybe that you need to reload UTX if you have it?

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y203/rogera/KMNM.jpg

Brett_Henderson
May 27th, 2011, 14:42
That's a neat airport .. I fly in/out of Crivitz (3D1) often.. KMNM or KSUE are regular fuel stops..

That whole, Door County area is spectacular flying :jump:

TomSteber
May 27th, 2011, 14:57
Here's what I see zoomed out and there's the river in the distance. It maybe that you need to reload UTX if you have it?

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y203/rogera/KMNM.jpg
Don't have UTX (yet). Just can't figure out what happened?
Wonder if I need to reinstall (gulp)?

LouP
May 27th, 2011, 15:00
Just a drought, wait for some rain :mixedsmi:

LouP

Roger
May 27th, 2011, 15:01
If you have to maybe just try the repair option?

TomSteber
May 27th, 2011, 17:13
If you have to maybe just try the repair option?
Where do I find this?

Bjoern
May 28th, 2011, 09:34
Crivitz (3D1)

Coincidence or a few settlers from my current area of residence took their village's name with them.
In fact, a few friends of mine went to school there (the german version, not the american one).

warchild
May 28th, 2011, 09:40
Where do I find this?

You can find the repair option in the install menu from disk 1 Tom..

Another thing ive been wanting to suggest was to check your scenery order in the main menu. sometimes when a new scenery is installed if gets placed in such a position as to override another scenery. I had this problem myself for a while and ended up with the entire pacific ocean being turned into a forest when REX and Ultimate Terrain were mis- assigned in priority..

TomSteber
May 28th, 2011, 10:56
You can find the repair option in the install menu from disk 1 Tom..

Another thing ive been wanting to suggest was to check your scenery order in the main menu. sometimes when a new scenery is installed if gets placed in such a position as to override another scenery. I had this problem myself for a while and ended up with the entire pacific ocean being turned into a forest when REX and Ultimate Terrain were mis- assigned in priority..
Will give these a try this weekend when there's time. Thanks.

TomSteber
May 28th, 2011, 12:31
Well, I tried looking into the scenery folder to see the order of things. Made some adjustments to see if any difference. Nothing. So I tried the repair attempt from disk 1.
Maybe not a good thing to do. Now I get a fatal error and can't boot up FSX at all.
Might have to do the reinstall after all now. :( At least there isn't as much to do as when I had to rebuild FS9 (several times).

LouP
May 28th, 2011, 13:06
I think she ment the scenery order witin FSX not the Windows folder.

LouP

TARPSBird
May 28th, 2011, 20:58
Tom, I don't have the river either (just the suggestion of the mouth along the shoreline) and my urban scenery density is not the same as Roger's.

TomSteber
May 29th, 2011, 01:46
I think she ment the scenery order witin FSX not the Windows folder.

LouP
Yes, I know she ment FSX.

TomSteber
May 29th, 2011, 01:50
Tom, I don't have the river either (just the suggestion of the mouth along the shoreline) and my urban scenery density is not the same as Roger's.
Now that's interesting. I wish I had seen this BEFORE I sent my install to the grave.
I wonder if I just need to add UTX to get the river there?
Well, I guess I'll find out after I take on reinstalling everything later today.
Thanks for the help everyone. I'll let you know what happens.

Railrunner130
May 29th, 2011, 02:01
Not to hijack the thread or switch the subject but---

Coincidence or a few settlers from my current area of residence took their village's name with them.
In fact, a few friends of mine went to school there (the german version, not the american one).

Yes, that's exactly what happened in many cases. When people immigrated to the US, they often brought the names of their home town with them. Often times the city names were also changed to reflect conquering of the homeland as well. I'd say it's most common from English, Irish, German and Italian cities. But, the original Philadelphia is in Turkey. I can't explain that one.

Anyhow, back to the question at hand. Sorry to hijack the thread.

TomSteber
May 29th, 2011, 03:36
No problem, actually might be more fun to talk about that than reinstall the flight sim and all the add-on planes, etc.

Brett_Henderson
May 29th, 2011, 03:55

I'd say, highly likely. Upper Michigan and northern Wisconsin (and even Minnesota) became the migratory homeland of many Scandanavians.. whith pockets of Italians and Germans.

I'm going to retire (soon) in the Door County area.. maybe even Crivitz itself. So I'll be studying up on its history.

robert41
May 29th, 2011, 06:37
I do not have that river as well. I only have GEX for North America installed. Do not have UTX.
Here in Wisconsin, there is a big German Heritage.

TARPSBird
May 29th, 2011, 10:40
Now that's interesting. I wish I had seen this BEFORE I sent my install to the grave.
Well, I guess I'll find out after I take on reinstalling everything later today.
Tom, sorry I wasn't able to post sooner before you dumped your FSX install. :frown:
My FSX is a brand-new install since March with SP2 and Acceleration. Me thinks MS just didn't put the river in. And you're right, it's there in FS9 although the mouth is strangely land-locked by a coastline glitch.

Bjoern
May 29th, 2011, 10:49
Yes, that's exactly what happened in many cases. When people immigrated to the US, they often brought the names of their home town with them. Often times the city names were also changed to reflect conquering of the homeland as well.

I was just stunned that a 5000-inhabitant village made spun off a counterpart in the USA.
Normally, all you get is Berlin, Hannover, Hamburg, Munich and other big cities...

I'd say, highly likely. Upper Michigan and northern Wisconsin (and even Minnesota) became the migratory homeland of many Scandanavians.. whith pockets of Italians and Germans.

Don't forget ND and SD. According to Wiki, those states have the highest percentage of german ancestry.

JimC1702
May 29th, 2011, 16:01

The same is true of the Mohawk River in upstate New York. Part of it shows in FSX but it disappears around Amsterdam, NY. With UTX, the river shows all the way to it's sources. The river is an important feature for VFR flying along with the NYS Thruway and the railroad tracks that run beside it.

Jim

TomSteber
May 30th, 2011, 04:18
Well, After uninstalling FSX and making sure all registry things were clean and all signs of FSX were gone, I went for a fresh install.
Got to the point to put in the product key and it tells me the I typed it in wrong or it's invalid!
THIS REALLY SUCKS!!!!!!!!!
Tried everything I could think, as far as typing it in different ways. Nothing. And of course I can't install Accelerator with the patches and such without a valid install of FSX.
Tried getting a hold of Microsoft, but it is a holiday.
So I uninstalled it again.
Not sure what to do now.
Any ideas? (constructive ones only, I've got the other ones handled)