PDA

View Full Version : Is There a Boulton Paul Defiant For FSX?

Walter
May 27th, 2011, 11:10
Has anybody made a Boulton Paul Defiant for FSX? Would anybody be willing to make one?

It's one of my favorite RAF planes. I've looked around and have had no success in finding one.

Thank you,

Walter :mixedsmi:

delta_lima
May 27th, 2011, 11:49
No .... don't think so.

... the closest I've seen to that basic aircraft configuration is a Blackburn Roc for FS9 by the great Mr Kazunori Ito. I know some of his planes port to FSX - some don't. I seem to recall his prop planes don't fare too well - my guess is that this one will not work that well ... but that's just a guess.

The reality is that complexities and expectations have spiralled up so high that many planes in FS8 / FS9 will likely never see the light of FSX day. My prediction is that this plane will be such a case. Only a few talented freeware dev folks like Paul Clawson, Craig Richardson, Robert Richardson, etc. are likely to go after those types. Again, just my guess - and only bring it up to help moderate your expectations around a request to do such a project.

Here's to the freeware we do have, though :ernae:

dl

Roger
May 27th, 2011, 12:34
I'd love to see a Defiant but I don't expect there will be a payware version ever. Maybe one day a freeware designer will give it the light of day again?

Walter
May 27th, 2011, 12:40
I tried the Blackburn Roc for FS9, but it didn't work well at all. I had gotten GMax in an attempt to make a Defiant, but I honestly don't have the skills to make the plane. =(

Walter

delta_lima
May 27th, 2011, 14:31
I forgot to mention that there is a Donationware Roc here in our SOH dowloads area .... I've never installed, so unfortunately I can't comment on how it may or may not work in FSX.

It may be worth a try - and how knows, it may require only a couple of prop texture and gauge mods to work ... just another avenue for you. It's located here: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/local_links.php?action=jump&catid=67&id=58

dl

Walter
May 27th, 2011, 15:18
Is there a list of all of the donationware aircraft? I would love to see some more!

Thanks for the link. I clicked on it thinking that it was a webpage, and it started a download. I got worried that I had stolen the aircraft.... oops! Then I realized that I need a password to install it. Lol :icon_lol:

Walter

delta_lima
May 27th, 2011, 16:34
Is there a list of all of the donationware aircraft? I would love to see some more!

Thanks for the link. I clicked on it thinking that it was a webpage, and it started a download. I got worried that I had stolen the aircraft.... oops! Then I realized that I need a password to install it. Lol :icon_lol:

Walter

They are here: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/local_links.php click on the left Donationware folder. Note, this is off the "Warbird's" button off the main navigation bar. The "Library Index" is a good way for finding the recent things. There are also items in the old archive section there that are great.

Regards,

DL

ps: Admins: I've been meaning to ask this for ages: Can someone fix the typo on the "Warbird's" [sic] button? It should not have the apostrophe - in fact, it's throughout that section. Just "Warbirds". Not to pick nits - just trying to make us look professional ... :ernae:

Hope that helps.

Walter
May 27th, 2011, 18:27
I can be so oblivious...

Thank you for the link again. I really like the quality of the donationware planes! :applause:

Walter

delta_lima
May 27th, 2011, 18:38
Hey - no one was born knowing all this stuff .... I still ask for help all the time!

At the risk of getting OT - most, if not all, of the DW projects had a CFS2 component to them. So if you're into that sim, check it out! My particular DW fave is the FDG2 Donatioware Corsair - lots of great repaints for it, too!

Anyway - let us know how you get on with the DW Roc ...

dl

Walter
May 27th, 2011, 18:43
delta_lima - I sent you what I feel to be an urgent PM. Just in case you didn't notice. :icon_lol:

Walter

delta_lima
May 27th, 2011, 18:45
Got it - answered - all is good buddy!

dl

Walter
May 28th, 2011, 04:58
Here we go. The prop texture could stand a little improvement, but it's good for now. I only installed the VC version, so it has no 2D Panel. The plane works great and is really fun to fly. My system is kinda weak when it comes to FSX, so the framerates weren't that good. But here is the Blackburn Roc! :jump:

SkippyBing
May 28th, 2011, 06:03
Ahh, the Roc, possibly the only fighter to get most (all?) of it's kills while sat on the ground!

delta_lima
May 28th, 2011, 08:22
That's a standard-result port over, I'd say. The prop issue is common, but fixable. There are some models that simply won't display, as in the case of the Barry/Hanvey Sea Fury.

The FPS issue is common on portovers - inasmuch as they weren't designed for FSX, they don't run as well as FSX-native models. So it may not be so much that your system is weak as the model not being optimized for your machine. Try some of the lovely freeware FSX aircraft out there and you'll tell the difference - planes like the Etendard, the Wyvern, the Piglet Skyraider - all should run much better than comparable FS9 counterparts ported over into FSX.

Sorry about the Defiant - but it seems like this might scratch your turret fighter itch for a while... :wiggle:.

dl

Walter
May 28th, 2011, 19:19
Yeah I can live with it... It's a very good model overall! :jump:

Thank you for the loads of help!

Walter :mixedsmi: