PDA

View Full Version : Poll with regarding CFG file ammendments (Terrain.CFG)

Chris Sykes
May 25th, 2011, 06:31
Hi all, please read very carfully as i have created this poll in question to users experience to editing CFG files. Mostly this only relates to installing aircraft textures, which im sure most of you all know how to do. However the main point is this, in the process of creating some scenery i have created an extra entry in the terrain.cfg file, creating a new custom landclass!

In doing so i have also changed the "DefaultTextureCount=" which for those of you havent edited the terrain.cfg file is very important! So adding custom landclasses is slightly more involved than adding just textures to aircraft!

So here comes the simple reasons of this poll,
1 - provide numbers on how many are experinced in editing CFG files (Aircraft, sound etc)
2 - provide numbers on how many are experinced in edited the terrain.cfg file only
3 - provide numbers on how many are not experinced in editing CFG files (Aircraft sound etc)
4 - provide numbers on how many non-experienced would give it a try with good instructions
5 - provide numbers on how many non-experinced would not give it a try even with good instructions
6 - who wants to see the screen shots?:icon_lol:

Many thanks

Meshman
May 25th, 2011, 09:33
Noooooooo, not the Terrain.cfg file! They'll blow up their FSX!!!

Or so the common theory goes. I've always believed if someone can add a repaint, then they can add entries to the Terrain.cfg file. It's not rocket science, you know...:gameon: (<--- best smilie for a rocket)

Now show us what you got! :icon_lol:

CG_1976
May 25th, 2011, 11:20
Ive edited most of FSX configs files for experiments and learning but not the terrain. So what you got in your hand of cards, show em I call lol:icon_lol::icon_lol:

Bjoern
May 25th, 2011, 12:37
It's not rocket science, you know...

Nothing about FSX is rocket science.

It just involves putting a bit of grey matter to good use. And using forum search engines. And Google.

Dangerousdave26
May 26th, 2011, 15:56
One thing that I think that has always been lacked is good How To Documents for the library. Even for the simplest of stuff a well written one would be a good place to point the Greenest of Newbs.

Bjoern
May 27th, 2011, 12:03
One thing that I think that has always been lacked is good How To Documents for the library. Even for the simplest of stuff a well written one would be a good place to point the Greenest of Newbs.

The problem is, that even *with* tutorials and documents around, people will *still* ask the same questions over and over again and expect a "dummy guide to [whatever]" reply.

The SDK documentation though, provides valuable info on most (user editable) content available in FSX, be it aircraft.cfgs, texture formats or scenery object placement. It should be the first source for information (next to Google).

falcon409
May 27th, 2011, 23:02
. . . . . .The SDK documentation though, provides valuable info on most (user editable) content available in FSX, be it aircraft.cfgs, texture formats or scenery object placement. It should be the first source for information (next to Google).
The general consensus concerning anything related to the SDK is that it was written "by" programmers, "for" programmers, lol. Irregardless of whether that is a bumb rap or not, that's generally how the SDK is regarded. Not something that a "newb" would venture into if he/she wanted to remain sane, lol.

Having said that, even as dense as I am, I have been able to take some skills from the SDK's and put them to good use and I did it by reading the specific area of interest, doing my best to comprehend the material, then using the needed utility (in one instance the Autogen Annotator) until I figured it out. . .basically trial and error. Maybe that's not the best way, but I had to figure it out in order to do the scenery I was working on, and once I got it. . . .I wondered what all the fuss was about, lol.

The SDK's have everything you need to do whatever you want to do in FSX, they're just not written in plain english, lol. It's an acquired taste that goes down a lot easier if you stick with it and keep drinking.:icon_lol:

Chris Sykes
May 28th, 2011, 02:22
Thanks all for your comments and thoughts. Even if instructions are in black and white yet some people will not read these fully. any way heres a quick screenshot from in FSX...

Its part of my Spadeadam Scenery, there is loads of forrests however there is just the same ammount of felled forrests, and default texture just doesnt look good. So Matt Wynn has kindly created some texture files for use covering the seasons...

Bjoern
May 28th, 2011, 09:53
The general consensus concerning anything related to the SDK is that it was written "by" programmers, "for" programmers, lol. Irregardless of whether that is a bumb rap or not, that's generally how the SDK is regarded. Not something that a "newb" would venture into if he/she wanted to remain sane, lol.

Having said that, even as dense as I am, I have been able to take some skills from the SDK's and put them to good use and I did it by reading the specific area of interest, doing my best to comprehend the material, then using the needed utility (in one instance the Autogen Annotator) until I figured it out. . .basically trial and error. Maybe that's not the best way, but I had to figure it out in order to do the scenery I was working on, and once I got it. . . .I wondered what all the fuss was about, lol.

The SDK's have everything you need to do whatever you want to do in FSX, they're just not written in plain english, lol. It's an acquired taste that goes down a lot easier if you stick with it and keep drinking.:icon_lol:

You can't cover everything vor every kind of mind out there, but if you're able to puzzle the information provided by the SDK together, you'll get there.

Wouldn't say that the SDK taught me XML, but it helped me here and there. The rest was, as with you and the Annotator, trial and error.

I just don't get why the first action that's usually taken is opening a thread with a question if the search box of Bing or Google can be filled way, way quicker?

- Edit:

Chris: Looks good!

Chris Sykes
May 31st, 2011, 03:20
thanks guys... Will hopefully have some more updates soon, ive done over 200 felled tree landclass polygons... :sleep: