PDA

View Full Version : Common Sense Wins Again.

Allen
May 24th, 2011, 13:29
Cirrus Design Corp wins $50 million wrongful death suit brought against them.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20110524/sp_nm/us_baseball_lidle

Railrunner130
May 24th, 2011, 22:52
It's stupid lawsuits like this that forced the General Aviation industry to come to a screeching halt in 1979. It wasn't until about twenty years later that product liability laws were enacted in such a way that the industry could essentially restart. I wonder how much $$ has to be tacked on to the price of a new airplane to cover companies for frivolous lawsuits...?

This lawsuit should've never gone to court. No proof, no lawsuit.

flaminghotsauce
May 25th, 2011, 02:25
I haven't read the article, but it is astounding that someone would sue Cirrus, of all manufacturers. Look at the lengths Cirrus goes to provide a safe airplane, including training before they let you fly off in a new one.

Accidents happen, people are usually at fault. FAR less likely that the airplane or it's manufacture is the problem.

Edit: Lindel? I thought they fouled up a turn to get out of where they were. That was indeed pilot error. Sad, but not a manufacturer's defect. Tort Reform Now!

Allen
May 25th, 2011, 14:36
Edit: Lindel? I thought they fouled up a turn to get out of where they were. That was indeed pilot error.

FAA and NTSB said that too but Cirrus was still sued. I recall before the SOH crash some one posted a story just like this. The only difference was the sue-er and sue-ee.

n4gix
May 25th, 2011, 16:22
More companies should begin counter-suing for "damage to our company's reputation due to rampant idiocy..."

Allen
May 25th, 2011, 21:57
One would think they got something like that.

stansdds
May 26th, 2011, 02:25
More companies should begin counter-suing for "damage to our company's reputation due to rampant idiocy..."
Either that or change the laws to make the loser of a suit pay the legal costs of all parties involved. I understand that many, perhaps most, countries have such laws, but not the U.S.

Bushpounder
May 26th, 2011, 03:24
It's about time a WIN goes into the other column. GA has been basically destroyed by these baseless lawsuits. These lawsuits are what moved the costs of renting from the $10.00 an hour I used to pay, to the $125.00+ that exist today. I used to pick up and ferry Pipers years ago. Brand new Piper Archers were roughly $20-24,000.00 at the time. They cost roughly $300,000.00+ now. Why? Stupid jurors and blind judges all mixed together with greedy lawyers. Lethal combination, IMHO.

Don