PDA

View Full Version : Prayers needed

Astoroth
May 22nd, 2011, 16:14
Not a good day. Tornado warnings went out this afternoon, and we went to the Hole. We were fortunate, nothing came close to here, but others not so lucky.

Joplin Missouri, 45 miles south and the nearest "big" city to me, took direct hits from multiple tornadoes.
I-44 on the north side looks like a battlefield, cars and trucks flipped, thrown and crushed all over.
Central Joplin around 20th and Rangeline totally destroyed. Home Depot is gone, nothing left. Pizza Hut destroyed with people trapped in the rubble.

Houses destroyed everywhere. St. John's Hospital top floor gone, on fire, evacuating, expecting explosion.

Absolutely horrible, please, pray for the people of Joplin, this is terrible.

Live news feed from weather channel.... http://www.weather.com/tv/tvshows/Livestream

Please, pray for them.

txnetcop
May 22nd, 2011, 16:54
Just want you to know those prayers are being said...a tragedy!
Ted

n4gix
May 22nd, 2011, 20:04
This has been an awful year for tornados! Minneapolis was hit hard earlier today, and several tornados were spotted this evening in southern Chicagoland...

Dain Arns
May 23rd, 2011, 04:13
Joplin Regional Medical Center.
The ambulance ship was not in flight, it was parked, but you can see the rotors were snapped off at the hub.

Millions of folks across the US have been affected by these deadly Spring storms already.
Tornadoes and Flooding.
A lot of these folks have lost everything that we take for granted in our daily lives.
Food, Water, Clothes, Shelter.

Need to pray for everyone affected by the storms this year.
If you don't believe that's okay too, but please still find a way to help through a humanitarian relief agency for example.
Doesn't need to be money. Donated food, clothes, shoes, even toys for children, do a lot to help as well.

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b162/Leorstef/ss-110523-joplin-storm-06grid-7x2.jpg
(Photo from MSNBC)

Sascha66
May 23rd, 2011, 09:40
My heart sank when I saw the evening news; so far the year has been absolutely horrible. I hope that the people of Joplin will recover from this tragedy. My thoughts and prayers go out to those suffering and those who lost their lives.

Sascha

Astoroth
May 23rd, 2011, 10:50
So far the official death toll stands at 89, but will rise dramatically with the search and rescue operations digging through the rubble.

Entire neighborhoods are gone, nothing left but matchsticks. People that have lived there all their lives can't even tell where they are, as there are no landmarks, street signs, no nothing left.

The hospital has been declared structurally unsafe, pending investigation by building inspectors. Reports of X-Rays and medical records landing as far away as 80 miles.

Crusader
May 23rd, 2011, 16:33
I didn't get a chance to watch much news today as I was out of town but this evening when I sat down I was in total shock . The newsmen and Weather Channel people who were broadcasting this (NBC at 1830 EST) were chocked up and teary eyed and I certainly don't mind admitting I was too by the time the news was over . This was devastating as all disasters are but it has had a profound effect on me as I'm sure it has with everyone . Makes me wish I had kept up my EMT license(USAF Reserves) and my Respiratory Therapy license (civilian) after I retired a couple of years ago . I would throw my sleeping bag in the old pickup and head to Joplin and try to contribute somehow . It looks like they can use all the help they can get . I am certainly going to drop a few bucks to some organization somewhere .

Thoughts and prayers out to Joplin and all over areas of the States who are suffering and in need .

Rich:unitedstates:

Astoroth
May 24th, 2011, 01:11
They are now calling this the US's most deadly and most destructive tornado since June of 1953 when when 116 people were killed by a twister that struck Flint, Mich. At Monday's morning press conference, the death toll was already standing at 116, by gruesome coincidence, and sure to rise as search and rescue efforts continue. They have been hampered by strong storms that we have been having all day. 1 police officer struck by lightning and in serious condition, 1 burned by "near miss" but refused to leave his post and kept working. My kind of hero, for sure!

Tomorrow I will be in Joplin to deliver the items collected for the relief effort by the newspaper where I work, and while there will be working at the Red Cross' relief station for the police, fire and ems personnel involved in the search and rescue efforts.