PDA

View Full Version : December 7, 1940

Skywolf
December 7th, 2008, 05:17
Today is the 67th anniversary of the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor. Please take time to remember those who have served, and died for their countries, on both sides.

greycap.raf
December 7th, 2008, 05:26
Excuse me, but the attack happened on December 7, 1941 and it's the 67th anniversary. Or have I really missed something here? :confused:

Shadow Wolf 07
December 7th, 2008, 05:32
Greycap.raf is correct. I salute and honor those who suddenly found themselves embroiled in a world war and valiantly defended their country and helped save the world from tyrrany.

Jagdflieger
December 7th, 2008, 05:35
A salute to the fallen and to those that served.

TARPSBird
December 7th, 2008, 06:45
Allow me a moment to pay respects to a friend of mine, Harvey Milhorn, who passed away some years ago. Harvey was a Gunner's Mate aboard the USS Arizona (BB-39) at the time of the Japanese attack. His General Quarters station was the machine gun tub (called "the birdbath") atop the aft mast. Harvey received some bruises and burns when the ship blew up but was otherwise OK. He was stranded on the mast until later in the day when the fires subsided and he could climb down to abandon ship. Thanks for your service, Harvey! :) :USA-flag:

miamieagle
December 7th, 2008, 07:57
A day like today 67 years ago the Final act of a tragic Historical Episode call World war two had just happen. A day like today comilated in a total World conflict from just a mostly a European war to a true World conflict that involves most of the Civilize World. It cost Hummanity from 60 to 70 millions lives and it change the World that existed before 1939 to a whole new World that is still challenging us in the present.

May all those who died in that terrific terrible War rest and may there be no more war of its kind ever.

Blue Devil
December 7th, 2008, 08:36
Today is the 63rd anniversary of the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor. Please take time to remember those who have served, and died for their countries, on both sides.

SW, ...

Thanks for the Post.

(P.S. Please edit...Thanks)

rmalone
December 7th, 2008, 11:54
Please allow me also to honor not only all who perished on this day in 1941, but also my wifes cousin Carlyle B Hanson,machinest mate 2nd class who lied about his age in 1940 to get into the Navy and perished on the USS Arizonia on dec 7 1941- May They All Rest In Peace.
RM

Skywolf
December 7th, 2008, 12:58
sorry, I meant 67 years ago. I miscounted.:redf:

Sturmvogel
December 8th, 2008, 11:18
Let's not also forget those that were lost during the invasions of Malaya, the Philippines and all other territories which the Japanese invaded on December 7/8, 1941.

Also remember the crew of RAF Catalina W8417 - shot down on December 7 (December 6, Hawaiian time) after locating the Japanese invasion force. These were the first RAF/RAAF personnel lost in the Pacific war.

Please allow me also to honor not only all who perished on this day in 1941, but also my wifes cousin Carlyle B Hanson,machinest mate 2nd class who lied about his age in 1940 to get into the Navy and perished on the USS Arizonia on dec 7 1941- May They All Rest In Peace.

RM, I hope this is okay by you:
http://www.pacificghosts.com.au/priam/view_profile.asp?id=3992

rmalone
December 8th, 2008, 17:04
Thank you very much.
RM

Hern07
December 8th, 2008, 18:07
We will never forget the scrifice that the sailors, marines and soldiers made that day. It's difficult to remember how divided we were on Dec. 6, 1941. Without that attack we may never had entered WWII with tragic consequences for the whole world. FDR did not think he had enough support to simultaneously declare war on Germany. It was only after Hitler made his own declaration of war that he was able to do so. But we did unite. These men's deaths made one of the greatest of all possible contributions to final victory. It's a shame they did not live to see it.

safn1949
December 10th, 2008, 07:05
My Dad was 16 in 1941 and joined the Navy soon after he graduated from high school,I believe.He never talked about it so the facts are not clear to me.
He served aboard the USS Phoenix which was at Pearl during the attack and was not damaged.

The Phoenix was sold to Argentina in the 50's and became the General Belgrano. Which was sunk by the Royal Navy's HMS Conqueror,my Dad was madder then hell.

Included are photos of her going down,a sad event.