PDA

View Full Version : Red pony

jankees
December 6th, 2008, 23:47
After I painted VH-AUB (see post in FSX forum), I found out where the registration came from.
Its first private owner was Aubrey Oates (hence AUB), who painted it bright red, and flew it from Bankstown NSW.
I've found just two pics, but it may have looked something like this:

Cees Donker
December 6th, 2008, 23:57
That's red!!:costumes:

Cees

NAMBUS
December 7th, 2008, 00:48
Looks great Jankees.
Nice to see some repaints from a slightly more care free age when surplus fighters were relatively inexpensive hot rods rather than multi million dollar investments.
Have you thought of doing some of the Mustangs raced in the post war Thompson Trophy racers?
Also quite a few Mustangs raced in the cross country Bendix Trophy races run at the same time, several fitted with drop tanks (fixed in place).
Some very colorful airplanes, and racing Mustangs tended to be relatively stock appearing in those days (few cut down canopies , clipped wings etc.
Love your work.:applause::applause::applause:

AussieMan
December 7th, 2008, 01:17
That's red!!:costumes:

Cees

Having seen that particular aircraft just before the late Col Pay repainted it I can verify that is very close to the original colour.

I don't know what will happen to his warbirds now he is gone but I hope they finish up in a certain museum here in Australia where all aircraft there are in flying condition.

Cheers
Pat

jankees
December 7th, 2008, 06:26
Here's another one, VH-UWB, which was later sold to the UK, but crashed in 1962..a bit too bright for my liking though...

huub vink
December 7th, 2008, 06:47
Those are definitely "eye catching" repaints. That red is very red, as the yellow is very yellow.

Huub

IVANOW
December 7th, 2008, 16:13
They both look very good to me.