PDA

View Full Version : New Project

NCGent
May 17th, 2011, 10:23
Afternoon Folks

I've started a new project a few days ago, The Vultee Vengeance dive bomber.

Anyone up for a new dive bomber?

Chris

AndyG43
May 17th, 2011, 10:37
Oh well, if you insist Chris!! :applause:

Matt Wynn
May 17th, 2011, 10:42
always loved the fin and wing shape on the Vengeance...

looking great so far, looking forwards to watching this Evolve.... :jump:

SPman
May 17th, 2011, 20:09
Yes please - with RAAF markings...

TARPSBird
May 17th, 2011, 21:50
Gee, Chris, I dunno, let me think...
YES!
:icon_lol:

txnetcop
May 18th, 2011, 12:13
Your latest offerings tell me this is gonna be another winner!!!!!
Ted

p3aewguy
May 18th, 2011, 12:47
Gee, Chris, I dunno, let me think...
YES!
:icon_lol:

DITTO for me, Chris!!!:applause:

T6flyer
May 18th, 2011, 13:52
Have at home....somewhere the Vengeance book by Peter C Smith. If not read, can easily be sent via pidgeon post!!!

Martin

NCGent
May 18th, 2011, 18:52
Have at home....somewhere the Vengeance book by Peter C Smith. If not read, can easily be sent via pidgeon post!!!

Martin

Hey, if that book has any landing gear photos and how it retracts, can you scan them and e-mail them to me?
There are very few photos of the Vengeance out there and I've only run across 2 detailed photos on the gear operation. And only plastic model photos of the interior.

I got a lot done on it this afternoon and I'll try and post some screens in the morning.

Chris

NCGent
May 19th, 2011, 11:08
This one has turned out to be a challenge, lots of parts that I've never built but it's a challenge that will be a lot of fun.

Chris

norab
May 19th, 2011, 12:50
If you can use a much larger version of this picture, PM me your email

NCGent
May 19th, 2011, 17:28
If you can use a much larger version of this picture, PM me your email

Thanks norab but I have that one. That pic is everywhere, seems that Vultee didn't like to take pics of the Vengeance.

andersel
May 22nd, 2011, 17:32
Afternoon Folks

I've started a new project a few days ago, The Vultee Vengeance dive bomber.

Anyone up for a new dive bomber?

Chris

I'm for it, Chris. WWII (+/-) radials are my weak spot.

LA

T6flyer
May 23rd, 2011, 02:03
Hey, if that book has any landing gear photos and how it retracts, can you scan them and e-mail them to me?
There are very few photos of the Vengeance out there and I've only run across 2 detailed photos on the gear operation. And only plastic model photos of the interior.

I got a lot done on it this afternoon and I'll try and post some screens in the morning.

Chris

Chris,

Sorry about the delay, but been busy with work. Have sent you an email as to what have and might have!!!

Best wishes,

Martin

NCGent
May 25th, 2011, 06:40
Chris,

Sorry about the delay, but been busy with work. Have sent you an email as to what have and might have!!!

Best wishes,

Martin

Not a problem T6flyer, I found a few more on the gear and bomb bay but nothing on how the gear retracts yet but still looking.
I've gotten a little more done on the bomb bay interior and it is certainly full of many small parts and pieces. Still in the beginning stages but here is what I've gotten done so far.

Cheers
Chris

AndyG43
May 25th, 2011, 07:29
Re. the gear retraction question Chris, have you had a look on Youtube? I'm at work at the moment, so can't do it go onto Youtube here, but a bit of Googling brought up 2 or 3 pieces of film which look like they might be able to help.

NCGent
May 25th, 2011, 08:11
Re. the gear retraction question Chris, have you had a look on Youtube? I'm at work at the moment, so can't do it go onto Youtube here, but a bit of Googling brought up 2 or 3 pieces of film which look like they might be able to help.

Hey Andy

Tried that, I only saw a few clips on the Vengeance and most were scale models. Not any showing gear movement at all.

Chris

T6flyer
May 25th, 2011, 14:10
I now have here the Vengeance book and for something that has over 180 pages, it has very little technical information within. Only one cockpit photo, a few airframe diagrams, but the text is quite informative, so will start scanning the necessary over the next few days. Had a look for quoted references and one is a copy of Air Enthusiast which also have managed to find.

Remember writing to a museum and receiving a photocopied article on the Vengeance, so looking out for that too.

Best wishes,

Martin

AndyG43
May 25th, 2011, 14:59
Hey Andy

Tried that, I only saw a few clips on the Vengeance and most were scale models. Not any showing gear movement at all.

Chris

Ah well, it was an idea. The only half decent clip I found was this one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k4ohwlL_QhI

And there is nothing at the WRG. Sorry Chris, wish I could help more.

Sunny9850
May 26th, 2011, 11:45
I am sure you have seen this but just in case:

Landing Gear: The landing gear are of a retractable type. The cantilever oleo legs retract backwards and rotate through 90 degrees for wheels to lie flat in the undersurface of the centre section. Legs are enclosed by hinged fairings. Partially retractable non-steerable tailwheel. Hydraulic retraction.

Cheers
Stefan

NCGent
May 26th, 2011, 15:18
I am sure you have seen this but just in case:

Landing Gear: The landing gear are of a retractable type. The cantilever oleo legs retract backwards and rotate through 90 degrees for wheels to lie flat in the undersurface of the centre section. Legs are enclosed by hinged fairings. Partially retractable non-steerable tailwheel. Hydraulic retraction.

Cheers
Stefan

Thanks Stefan, the non-steerable tailwheel is new to me so it's a big help.

Chris

mrogers
May 27th, 2011, 02:12
Non steerable tailwheel? But I could see in the youtube clip that the Vengeance tailwheel was freely castoring as it turned.

fliger747
May 27th, 2011, 09:45
None of the larger aircraft of WWII had steerable tail wheels. They were lockable for takeoff, landing and straight taxi and otherwise castored. I expect that Vought used just about the same retract setup as with the Corsair.

Cheers: t

mrogers
May 27th, 2011, 17:12
Ok..thanks flieger747. I think I understand now.:salute:
I'm looking foward to the Vengeance Chris, looks great.:applause:

fliger747
May 28th, 2011, 09:24
A unusual and not often seen aircraft, almost surprising that Tim Conrad hadn't had a throw at this one. A somewhat more svelt creation than the SB2C.

T

T6flyer
May 30th, 2011, 22:30
I've started scanning away, but there are pages of the stuff.....but have been given another copy of the said book, so if you would like it, PM me your address and will send it over!!!

Best wishes,

Martin

NCGent
June 8th, 2011, 13:20
Hey Folks

I've gotten a little more done on the Vengeance and tons of animations. I have not built a model with as many animations as this one and I'm not even done with the exterior animations let alone started on the VC.
Just finished the prop and thought I would do an update on her.

Chris

Matt Wynn
June 8th, 2011, 13:47
goodness! she's looking good! keep up the great work pal :ernae:

NCGent
June 8th, 2011, 14:01
Thanks smoothie.:salute:

Jagdflieger
June 8th, 2011, 21:17
That is looking nice.

Any idea how the Vengence compared to the Helldiver anyone?

OBIO
June 8th, 2011, 21:19
Chris

One thing I really like about your models is the detail you put into the engines.....I love radial engines and your radials are a real pleasure to look at.

Tim

NCGent
June 9th, 2011, 13:01
Chris

One thing I really like about your models is the detail you put into the engines.....I love radial engines and your radials are a real pleasure to look at.

Tim

Thanks Tim

I'm working on this one to be the best yet, here's hoping.

PeteHam
June 9th, 2011, 20:04
Chris,

If you ever need close up pics of radials we have a selection in our museum here.

http://www.classicflyersnz.com/

Pete.

fliger747
June 10th, 2011, 10:47
Pete? You guys the ones with the famous restored NZ Corsair?

Model: Looking quite nice indeed. I also like the cylinders and pushrods etc of the engine. Two items that look (p0ssibly) a bit off, (1) canopy curve, I believe that the sides are straighter and the top is an even radius curve, as with the AT6, SNJ, SBD etc. The Case nose might protrude a bit more? I am not an expert on the R 2600 and do not have the references that I have for the R2800.

Looking good, keep up the great work! Tom

PeteHam
June 10th, 2011, 11:34
Pete? You guys the ones with the famous restored NZ Corsair?

Not us , but it's been here from time to time on flying visits.

Pete.

Desert Rat
June 10th, 2011, 15:42
Just bought the Ryans and the Valiant, looking forward to flying them and also to this one.

cheers Chris,
Jamie

Sunny9850
June 11th, 2011, 07:50
Thanks Tim

I'm working on this one to be the best yet, here's hoping.

Have you considered including a "maintenance" mode on the ground where the covers come off those splendid engines. It's almost a shame to keep them hidden under the sheet metal after all the work you put in to their creation.
:ernae:

Stefan

Desert Rat
June 11th, 2011, 12:43
Enjoying the others I bought while I wait for this one. For a hair over £20, great stuff!!

:d
Jamie

NCGent
June 13th, 2011, 08:51
Hey Stefan

Some do have that, some don't. But I will be adding more and more eye candy such as that on future releases.

Chris

NCGent
June 13th, 2011, 08:52
Enjoying the others I bought while I wait for this one. For a hair over £20, great stuff!!

:d
Jamie

Glad you are enjoying the models, nice shot btw.

Chris

NCGent
June 22nd, 2011, 10:39
Hey Guys and Gals

I've gotten a little more done on the Vengeance. This is one packed little birdy, many many parts with more animations than I have ever had to do on a model. It's getting there though.

Chris

Matt Wynn
June 22nd, 2011, 12:03
man is she looking great, i just love that wing shape, so different yet seems to suit this aircraft, gotta admit i love watching your work develop, from the initial images of a partially formed fuselage to the final stretch, i'm sure to others as it does to me, it serves as an inspiration, keep up the great work buddy :ernae:

NCGent
June 28th, 2011, 11:39
Now that's a machine gun!:tgun2:

Jagdflieger
June 28th, 2011, 12:54
Nice M2 HB Browing!

Just a note as I'm not sure what version was used on the Vengence, but you show the infantry, ship or vehicle mounted M2 HB.

The aviation version of the M2 had the perforated barrel jacket and it's attendent barrel bushing extened out to the muzzle of its slightly shorter barrel. Other than that, they were pretty much the same with the exeption of the solenoid fired M2s in the fighter planes. those had a different base plate with the electrical trigger (solenoid), but were otherwise the aviation version of the M2.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=29n_niWpHI4&NR=1

NCGent
June 28th, 2011, 13:50
Nice M2 HB Browing!

Just a note as I'm not sure what version was used on the Vengence, but you show the infantry, ship or vehicle mounted M2 HB.

The aviation version of the M2 had the perforated barrel jacket and it's attendent barrel bushing extened out to the muzzle of its slightly shorter barrel. Other than that, they were pretty much the same with the exeption of the solenoid fired M2s in the fighter planes. those had a different base plate with the electrical trigger (solenoid), but were otherwise the aviation version of the M2.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=29n_niWpHI4&NR=1

Hey Jagdfliger

I found photos of several types used on the Vengeance, some had single M2 setup and some had the twin setup. I liked the one I'm building better than any of the others so that's what I decided to go with. It's been very difficult to find many clear photos of anything to do with the Vengeance.

Chris

Lionheart
June 28th, 2011, 21:51
Awesome work Chris! Nice looking gear bay.

Jagdflieger
June 28th, 2011, 22:07
Chris,

That photo shows the same set up of machine guns as the later SBD Dauntlesses. Mainly two M-1919 Browing .30 calibre (30/06 or 7.62 X 63mm) machine guns. These weapons are much smaller than the M2 Browning. The M2 was for the most part a scaled up M 1919 with the same recoil operated system. If you can field strip one, you can field strip the other. The M2 is probably more sensitive to headspace and timing than the M 1919.

As far as I know, there were no special models of the M1919 other than the solenoid fired weapons at remote mounts like in fighters and as a coaxial MG in some tanks. You can see that the barrel bushing extends out to near the muzzle and is supported by the ventilated barrel cover like in the aerial model of the 50 cal.

No matter how you arm it, I'm looking forward to it.

NCGent
June 29th, 2011, 04:40
Hey Bill, thanks. With this unlimited export method I can build in so much more detail and everything stays so nice and crisp. Man I love it:applause:.

Jagdflieger, Man you know your machine guns dude:salute:

AndyG43
June 29th, 2011, 05:23
Hey Bill, thanks. With this unlimited export method I can build in so much more detail and everything stays so nice and crisp. Man I love it:applause:.

FSX, what's that? :kilroy:

This is looking superb Chris, one for my Golden Wings install for sure!! :jump::jump::jump:

CG_1976
June 29th, 2011, 17:02
Beautiful work Chris. Now im going to have to buy a new Fs9 HD. Anyone know if Fs9 will complain with a 1TB home? I need to move Fs9 off the OS drive to its own home. Cant put it with FSX or i'll have a serious Cat fight:icon_lol:

OBIO
June 29th, 2011, 19:17
Chris

Those machine guns are the most detailed I have seen on any sim aircraft. Bravo!

CG_1976

My 3 FS9 installs live happily on a 1TB drive, along with all my scenery and mesh folders....and an install of FSX.

OBIO

NCGent
July 3rd, 2011, 03:14
Chris

Those machine guns are the most detailed I have seen on any sim aircraft. Bravo!

CG_1976

My 3 FS9 installs live happily on a 1TB drive, along with all my scenery and mesh folders....and an install of FSX.

OBIO

Thanks Tim, still work in progress. I took Jagdfliger suggestions and made some changes and like I said it's still evolving.

Chris

Jagdflieger
July 3rd, 2011, 09:40
Wow! Now all we'll need is ammo, solvent and lubricant to keep 'em shooting.

OBIO
July 3rd, 2011, 10:13
Chris

Looking at the revised guns...and especially the texturing on the mounting pedestal...it is super clear that your skills are improving with each and every project. The wear and tear on that pedestal looks so realistic.

The revised guns look better than the original ones....you did good!

Tim

OleBoy
July 3rd, 2011, 12:28
That's looking nice Chris!

NCGent
July 23rd, 2011, 08:08
Hey Folks

This one is turning into a headache, especially the bomb bay. But it's moving along nicely and to stop the screaming I quit on the bomb bay items and started on the cockpit. Well here are a few more progress shots on how shes moving along.

Chris

Milton Shupe
July 23rd, 2011, 08:18
That is looking awesome Chris :applause:

NCGent
July 23rd, 2011, 08:29
That is looking awesome Chris :applause:

Thanks Milton, I hope to one day be as good as you and Bill:salute:

NCGent
August 2nd, 2011, 08:50
This aircraft has more knobs and switches than any model I have worked on to date. The photo shows what I have made so far and that is just one corner and I am just getting started. Looks like there will be lots of eye candy and switches to play with in this one.:jump:

Cees Donker
August 3rd, 2011, 00:26
Very nice Chris!

Cees

NCGent
August 3rd, 2011, 13:44
Thanks Cee's:salute:

NCGent
September 9th, 2011, 08:42
Hey Guys and Gals

I've made some progress on the Vengeance over the past few weeks and thought I would post some screens to show everyone how it's looking so far. Onle a few thousan parts left to make.:icon_lol:

NCGent
September 9th, 2011, 08:44
More screens

NCGent
September 9th, 2011, 08:45
And more

NCGent
September 9th, 2011, 08:46
And one more

Jagdflieger
September 9th, 2011, 08:46
Thanks for the update NC. I was wondering how it was coming along.

Sunny9850
September 9th, 2011, 10:04
The digits are warmed up and ready to purchase. But do not rush yourself. I'd rather wait a bit longer and get another excellent package.

Cheers
Stefan

OBIO
September 9th, 2011, 10:12
Chris

The Vengeance is coming to life! You are doing a wonderful job recreating this long lost aircraft and preserving a bit of military air power history.

Tim

NCGent
September 9th, 2011, 10:31
Thanks Jag, Stefon and Tim.

She'll get there one of these days.:jump:

Chris

andersel
September 9th, 2011, 16:36
Beautiful work Chris. Now im going to have to buy a new Fs9 HD. Anyone know if Fs9 will complain with a 1TB home? I need to move Fs9 off the OS drive to its own home. Cant put it with FSX or i'll have a serious Cat fight:icon_lol:

My current FS9 installation is on a 2tb Western Digital HD. It works like a charm and I'll never have to worry about space constraints. My OS lives by itself in a 40gb solid state HD. Rapid!

LA

TARPSBird
September 9th, 2011, 22:41
Chris, the plane looks great. Did you ever figure out the purpose of the odd cup-holder looking device on the gunner's radio panel? :icon_lol:

NCGent
September 10th, 2011, 05:12
Chris, the plane looks great. Did you ever figure out the purpose of the odd cup-holder looking device on the gunner's radio panel? :icon_lol:

Thanks Tarp
No I didn't , that's the only picture I could find with it in it so I'm guessing it was a personal add-on. It’s been a struggle to find good photos of the Vengeance but on the other side of that coin, it's been a great joy to build her.

Desert Rat
November 26th, 2011, 13:22
Hi Chris,

haven't heard anything for a while, hope all is well and was wondering if this beauty was progressing any?

regards,
Jamie

NCGent
December 5th, 2011, 18:56
Hey Guys and Gals

Working on the finishing touches on the Vengeance. Just a few tweaks left and some additions and she'll be ready.
This model will feature, animated cowling flaps, animated dive brakes, lots of buttons and dials to play with, animated bomb drop (If I get it all figured out) and lots more.
Here's a lil sneak peek at her.

Sunny9850
December 5th, 2011, 19:07
The digits are ready, whenever she rolls out of the hangar.

Cheers
Stefan

OBIO
December 5th, 2011, 19:07
Looking great Chris! Love the reflectivity on the inside of the canopy glass. Adds a touch of realism to the plane.

Tim

SSI01
December 6th, 2011, 03:41
This is an addition long looked forward to. Just picked up the ST-M package as well as the PT-22 and as always am impressed by your work.

I know 8th AF in England had some Vengeance aircraft on strength as target tugs and liaison aircraft. Are you planning, or have you planned, anything like that for this package?:salute:

Desert Rat
December 6th, 2011, 13:23
Chris,

thanks for the reply and for the continued hard work, looking great by the way. She will be mine soonish, along with the other gap in my collection, the Arado.

Jamie

SgtT
December 7th, 2011, 02:02
Looking great, love the screen shots.

T.

NCGent
December 8th, 2011, 09:48
Thanks fellas

Working on a new pilot and the bomb release animations and all is looking good so far.

Check out these falling bombs:applause:

Chris

OBIO
December 8th, 2011, 12:51
Chris

The bomb drop looks great....will be nice to see some 500 pounders falling away from the bomb bay as I fly over all the simulated Walmarts....yeah....that's the ticket.

On the pilot screen shot, it looks like you have a parts hierarchy issue.....the pilot can not be seen behind the windscreen glass. I don't know how to fix it....just that the order of the parts is the cause.

OBIO

Desert Rat
December 8th, 2011, 13:03
On the pilot screen shot, it looks like you have a parts hierarchy issue.....the pilot can not be seen behind the windscreen glass. I don't know how to fix it....just that the order of the parts is the cause.

OBIO

Make sure the glass is the last parts on the list, prop blurs have similar issues.

NCGent
December 8th, 2011, 14:14
Thanks Tim, had not used frhed on the glass yet and it hides whatever is behind it if not for the wonders of frhed.
I've been trying to put a semi glossy shine on it using "Shine" program but it wont work in either XP of 7 for me. I use the program on the mdl file and then it will not load into fs9.

Shessi
December 8th, 2011, 14:45
Hi Chris,
Is this 'shine' prog MDLMat.exe? If not then why not use it, by Martin Wright. A great lttle prog for getting shine on specifics, build your canopy as one ie not two with a seperate inside and outside, put it somewhere in the material list it's easy to see in the MDLMat.exe list ie at the end. You can then have a go at different colours and sheen. I've never had it mess up an mdl so it will not load etc etc. You will also need his dll files at bottom of page.

http://www.mnwright.btinternet.co.uk/index.htm

Cheers

Shessi

NCGent
December 8th, 2011, 15:33
(http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/member.php?339-Shessi)Hi Shessi

Don't think I've ever used it but I'll give that a try, thanks for the link.

Chris

OBIO
December 8th, 2011, 19:45
Chris

For a tutorial on using Martin's MDLmat program, head into the Warbirds Library, FS2004 Other section and find an upload by norab. He took the original MDLmat tutorial I uploaded and converted it into a much easier to use PDF format tutorial. The tute will tell you how to adjust specular shine, material transparencies and such.

OBIO

OBIO
December 20th, 2011, 00:17
Chris sent me an copy of the Vengeace to check over and to work with so I can develop the paint kit and some sounds. Let me tell ya...this is by far the most complex model Chris has done to date. The amount of detail in the plane is far and beyond anything he has done previously. And it's not even done yet! Overall, I'd day he is probably 70% done with the work....seems that all the modeling and mapping is done, lots of gauge and coding to do yet. You folks will definitely want to grab this baby up when it hits the store.

OBIO

NCGent
December 21st, 2011, 04:37
Thanks Tim but it's more like 95%.....lol

Took some screenshots last night of the Vengeance......well...here she is.