PDA

View Full Version : Need help with Morten's skin for FDG2 Birdcage Corsair Skin

joeyjet87
May 14th, 2011, 00:37
Hi Fellas, I need help! Many, many moons ago (2000-2003) I began collecting and implementing cfs2 add-ons. Well, the urge has brought me back. This site is great! But nowI need help with Morten’s skins for the FDG2 F4U-1 Birdcage. His textures will not apply to the main FDG2 donationware aircraft. I think it’s his F4U-1_t file. I think it needs to be separated like the original F4U-1_L_t and F4U-1_R_t. What am I doing wrong? How I can I get the sim to see his F4U-1_t file and apply the skin? In the game, I’m getting only the grey model with no skin! If this makes sense, please respond. Any help would be great!

kelticheart
May 14th, 2011, 02:13
Hi, joeyjet87!

I'd suggest getting in touch with Morton directly through his e-mail. On the other hand, a doubt comes to mind: Morton painted skins for both FDG2's donationaware Corsairs and models released before.

Are you sure you are not trying to "dress" your dware F4U-1 birdcage with a repaint meant for another FDG2's Corsair? A grey model means the sim cannot display the livery due to wrong texture mapping or a wrong filename. You may try renaming the texture file, it looks like you know already which is the correct filename for the dware textures, but if the texture you have is meant for another model, it will not show up correctly.

I am saying this because Morton is among the top-most accurate repainters uploading their works here at SOH. I can't imagine Morton releasing a repaint without having tested it before and/or calling it with the wrong filename. I downloaded 99% of his production and I never had a problem, unfortunately I cannot comment this specific one, because I stored away the file and I haven't flown FDG2's dware Corsairs in a while.

Cheers!
KH :ernae:

bearcat241
May 14th, 2011, 04:05
There have been two CFS2 D-ware Corsair packs. One released as models based on the
FS9 version 1.0 Copyright © Anthony Sullenger, 12 June, 2004 and another released as models based on FS9 version 1.1 Copyright © Anthony Sullenger, 8 August, 2004. Can't remember why they were released so close together but there it is.

Version 1.0 has only one F4U-1A_t.bmp which maps the entire exterior - fuselage (both sides) and wings. Version 1.1 is a totally different model with totally different texture mapping in two exterior textures - F4U-1_L_t.bmp and F4U-1_R_t.bmp - one for each side of the aircraft. What you're doing is trying to fit Morton's v1.0 skin to a v1.1 model. Won't work...you'll need to redesign the 1.0 skin to port it over to the 1.1 model. If you're willing to study the layouts, it can basically be a cut and paste job with some attention to the small details. But keep in mind that you could end up with some gaps at the texture joints, so watch for that.

joeyjet87
May 14th, 2011, 22:13
Thank you Kelticheart and especially thank you Bearcat for responding and for the help.

Bearcat you were dead on right in diagnosing my problem! After pinpointing the difference between the two issues you jogged my memory about this. I went digging thru my old hddisks and it turns out I bought it way back in August of 2004 but had never installed it. And I even had the original password to open it! Thanks again, Bearcat. If anyone needs it and its okay with SOH and FDG2 I’ll send it to them.

bearcat241
May 15th, 2011, 04:53
Rgr that Joey...good to know you got it worked out.