PDA

View Full Version : Logbook minutia.

jimjones
December 6th, 2008, 11:45
Many cheerful facts about the square of the hypotenuse, er I mean :FSX Logbook

After several years of Flightsim flying I finally became interested in the logbook. Now having flown FSX since its first arrival, and after having lost the logbook during loss of the PC and all its info, I've looked at my logbook to make some sense of it.

The first thing I noticed was that the dates seemed not to be in order. But after a little review it seems the entries are made in the order that the flights are made. New flights have dates established when a new one is created and reflects the date and time stored in the PC. If a saved flight is run the date and time of that flight becomes the start date and time reported in the logbook. So if a saved flight is reflown many times, several entries with the same start date and time will appear. That answered my confusion over my logbook enties since I frequently fly saved flights.

A recent thread here at the FSX SOH site showed several person's logbooks. Some showed dates in the form used in the USA, of month day and year. Months and days less than two digit appeared as single digits as in 9/31/2008. Other entries, presumably from overseas, showed the same date in the form of 31/9/2008 in day, month and year format.

Other entries include Aircraft type, Start Location, Stop Location, landings, hours of daylight flying, night flying and instrument flying and the total flight time. Most of these are self explanatory, but I discovered a few things not immediately obvious to me:

Starting and ending a flight in the air will show neither a start or stop location.

A flight beginning at night and ending in day will show both night and day times.

Once a flight that started at dusk and ended at night showed only a night value and a total value equal to the sum of the dusk time, which does not show, and the night time.

Beginning or ending a flight from a river or out to sea in an amphib shows locations that are meaningless to me. Example locations seen were: 64I in the Ohio River near Louisville, MO6 in the Missouri River near St Louis and KNTD off the coast of KLAX. These locations don't show up in a search of FSX's Select Airport by ID. A landing close to KLAX in the sea reported KLAX as the end location.

A curios person might like to sort the list a few different ways but that option is not available.

A backup copy of the logbook.bin file can be reloaded in c:\Administrator\Documents\Flight Simulator X Files folder
(Vista OS) should one loose their hard disk in a crash.

dswo
December 7th, 2008, 03:44
A curious person might like to sort the list a few different ways but that option is not available.

For sorting and analysis, try "FSX Logbook Viewer" by Jean-Christophe Arnulfo. For restoring a damaged logbook, "FSX Logbook Recovery" by Dan van Os. And for making changes, "Logbook Editor" by Lamont Clark. They're all free at AVSIM.