PDA

View Full Version : WIP: The Fieseler Storch is flying !!!!!

Francois
May 8th, 2011, 07:37
Yup, good news! We just received the first Beta of the Fieseler Storch and despite the fact that it still needs work and changes, it already looks awesome...... here are a few very early screenies. Hopefully I'll have time to build a little video of it as well.

http://europerides.smugmug.com/Airplanes/FSAddon/Storch-Beta/i-SMDtMPV/0/L/fsb-001-L.png

http://europerides.smugmug.com/Airplanes/FSAddon/Storch-Beta/i-B7BTCtq/0/L/fsb-016-L.png

http://europerides.smugmug.com/Airplanes/FSAddon/Storch-Beta/i-FgSRMrQ/0/L/fsb-005-L.png

doublecool
May 8th, 2011, 08:16
Now that's lookin nice :wavey:

Walter
May 8th, 2011, 08:28
Dang! That looks fantastic!!! :jump:

Walter

fleurdelys
May 8th, 2011, 09:05
I've been patiently waiting for this one François... :jump:

You may put me down for one !

As you say, it looks just awsome.

Cheers,

Fleurdelys

Roger
May 8th, 2011, 09:26
Woof!:applause:

YoYo
May 8th, 2011, 09:32
On the second screenshot over Fi-156 I see the missile. Perhaps V-1 or V-2 ;)

Francois
May 8th, 2011, 09:47
On the second screenshot over Fi-156 I see the missile. Perhaps V-1 or V-2 ;)

LOL ! I think it was a 737, but I can live with your suggestion ! :icon_lol:

monk1
May 8th, 2011, 10:14
Wow, that looks great. :jump::jump::jump:

OleBoy
May 8th, 2011, 10:43
OH MY!!

That's looking very nice!!!!!!! :applause:

hae5904
May 8th, 2011, 11:33
Looks amazingly great Francois! Been waiting for a proper Storch.....
I'd seen the wips on your site. :applause:

Groetjes!

Bomber_12th
May 8th, 2011, 14:11
Looking very, very nice!! From my experiences with the flight dynamics on the FSAddon Gladiator and Lizzie, and being very impressed, I am really looking forward to 'feeling' how this one reacts!

From past Storch-related efforts I have seen, it is quite refreshing to see the landing gear struts done right from the start as well! :d

Marvin Carter
May 8th, 2011, 16:03
I can not wait for this, one of my favorite plans. One thing I have noticed on others that were made was the under and over tank panel line were always off. this is what they should look like. Thank you for doing this plane!!!

roger-wilco-66
May 8th, 2011, 22:10
Excellent! My hangar doors are open for this one!

Cheers,
Mark

Francois
May 8th, 2011, 23:17
Hopefully we'll 'get it all right', it certainly is Simon's and my aim to build things as real as possible. I did an (rather expensive) trip all the way to mid-Florida and spent a day photographing the real plane. Simon did his magic in building, texturing, FDE'ing and animations, and so far we're REALLY happy with the initial beta !

Simon is working on more liveries now, while the team is taking her through the paces.

Some 'moving' features include the properly moving landing gear (which is like nothing else out there), the moving tail gunner and tail gun (and the man can be taken out and the rear chair put upright), a VERY meticulously detailed wing-folding process (you've not seen this on ANY FS model yet !!), the moving flaps 'chain', full 3D virtual cockpit (no 2D included), and a great flight model already! Oh yes, and you can fly her with the engine cowlings OFF ! ;-)

SADT
May 8th, 2011, 23:47
I cant wait to plant it right on the aft elevator of HMS Victorious, just like Eric "Winkle" Brown did, using a captured Fi-156... ;-)

Craig :-)

CHBTheDoctor
May 9th, 2011, 01:18
The VC is what makes the deal.

Anneke
May 9th, 2011, 01:35
Hi guys, finally a note worthy Fieseler Storch. I've flown the one from Piglet back in them FS2004 days but never seen a good one for FSX.

Francois I hope you'll make a civilian version as well without the vollautomatische Schusswaffe (MG) to cater for the non war plane type of pilot's (I hope it's not cursing in SOH :icon_eek:)

Francois
May 9th, 2011, 01:52
The VC is what makes the deal.

Well, then you gonna love this one :-)

Here's how it started.... (minus the two very white, very 'un-Floridian' knees)....

http://europerides.smugmug.com/Airplanes/FSAddon/Storch-Beta/i-M5HXLhL/0/L/scp_2625-L.jpg

And for a guy with my stiffness... (and weight) ... NOT easy to get in!

http://europerides.smugmug.com/Airplanes/FSAddon/Storch-Beta/i-rZNPxVL/0/L/img_0098-L.jpg

But once in, a tall dude like me has an excellent view over the dash...... and yes, we'll need to change the default viewpoint in the FSX model a little....

http://europerides.smugmug.com/Airplanes/FSAddon/Storch-Beta/i-VFKF5ZQ/0/L/img_0100-L.jpg

Francois
May 9th, 2011, 01:54
Hi guys, finally a note worthy Fieseler Storch. I've flown the one from Piglet back in them FS2004 days but never seen a good one for FSX.

Francois I hope you'll make a civilian version as well without the vollautomatische Schusswaffe (MG) to cater for the non war plane type of pilot's (I hope it's not cursing in SOH :icon_eek:)

Hallo Anneke, it will depend on how much time Simon can spare...

The GOOD news is that you can take out the gunner, store (fix) the MG, raise the back of the rear seat and fly it on your own without shooting at things :icon_lol:

italoc
May 9th, 2011, 05:24
:applause::applause::applause:
BOUGHT (me too)

Italo

OleBoy
May 10th, 2011, 05:01
Francois, will there be a set of .PSD paint templates available with this? I sure hope so. Because I have a feeling I'll be splashing some paint on this fine looking piece of workmanship.

I don't want to come across as if I'm bashing the model, but these things are literally as ugly as a whooping crane. Now, Whooping cranes can land gracefully in a tree. Has anyone tried that stunt with one of these? Only problem, do the wings flap when I want to take off :kilroy:

Francois
May 10th, 2011, 05:29
Can't make the wings flap, but we DO make them fold :icon_lol:

As for the paintkit, yes, I am sure we'll have that published as well eventually. We may have to convert Simon's files to .psd after release first, but we'll get there.

I am working on making a few Youtube videos to show the Storch off...... ugly it is... but SO much FUN to fly (and LAND!).

OleBoy
May 10th, 2011, 05:41
I love STOL aircraft. Especially in a good head wind!!

huub vink
May 10th, 2011, 07:32
It definitely looks beautiful Francois! When you make a movie, could it be possible to show the movement of the landing gear?

Cheers,
Huub

danyboy21
May 10th, 2011, 07:38
It looks fantastic :applause:

Francois
May 10th, 2011, 07:39
YESSIR ! :wavey:

Francois
May 10th, 2011, 09:02
Here's a clip of the landing gear when dropping the Storch...... it is still a bit stiff, but this is Beta 1 !

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BhwJ65VxoFM

fleurdelys
May 10th, 2011, 09:04
"I am working on making a few Youtube videos to show the Storch off...... ugly it is... but SO much FUN to fly (and LAND!). "

Remember François that "beauty" is in the eye of the beholder...:icon_lol:

I'm probably not the only one to think that this plane is gorgeous and truly adapted to its task...
It does look like a "storch", doesn't it ?

When can we expect to get our hands on the finished product and paintkit ?
My grandson is relentless in pestering me for this aircraft ... :jump:
Cheers,

Fleurdelys

huub vink
May 10th, 2011, 09:41
Thanks for the video Francois. The video is perhaps a bit odd, but it looks very promising.

Warrant
May 10th, 2011, 10:04
Excellent work there, Francois! :salute:

Will it be free or payware?

I will get or purchase anyway! Like earlier mentioned, i liked Piglets version for FS-ancient very much!

Francois
May 10th, 2011, 10:32
Thanks for watching, folks. I am not a good movie maker, sorry, but will try a few more. Just skip them if they hurt your eyes or artistic feelings :icon_lol::icon_lol:

As for some questions:

- sorry, I don't do 'estimates' anymore. I fully trust Simon, but sometimes a problem pops up and throws all the planning out the window. We do have quite a list of 'issues' still, and some additional work..... yes yes, I know you don't care for a user manual... but you're gonna get one anyway !

- it is payware I'm afraid. This is our main work making a living, so we don't have that much of a choice. But we'll make sure it will be worth your Dollars and Euros !

Dev One
May 10th, 2011, 11:12
Francois, You refer to the animation of the wing folding on your Storch - have you studied my Proctor wingfolding over at the Pond? Is it more complex than all those bits? I know its FS9 native, but it does port over to FSX.
As yet I know nothing about the Storch system, so wait with bated breath.
Regards
Keith

CodyValkyrie
May 10th, 2011, 11:17
I eagerly await this plane Francois. This looks to be an absolute gem, and frankly I have always found the Storch, while an ugly duckling, to be one of the most interesting planes ever created.

Francois
May 10th, 2011, 11:22
Francois, You refer to the animation of the wing folding on your Storch - have you studied my Proctor wingfolding over at the Pond? Is it more complex than all those bits? I know its FS9 native, but it does port over to FSX.
As yet I know nothing about the Storch system, so wait with bated breath.
Regards
Keith

LOL, no, sorry, we have studied the wing folding of the real Storch. I don't know if it is more complex, but I think Simon did a pretty good job, sounds and all!
I talked to one of the pilots of the Storch, in Florida, and he told me he hadn't seen it fold in reality yet !! But he did know that it was advised to make sure the flaps were retracted before folding the wings backwards...... *grinning*.

I'll make you a wing-folding vid next ;-)

Francois
May 10th, 2011, 11:22
I eagerly await this plane Francois. This looks to be an absolute gem, and frankly I have always found the Storch, while an ugly duckling, to be one of the most interesting planes ever created.

Well, you're welcome to make us a free advertising video ..... *evil grin*. Mind you, I am getting the hang of this video thang myself now......... NOT ! :icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol:

Francois
May 10th, 2011, 12:10
Darn, that took a while uploading. I must have overloaded Youtube with all of a sudden 4 clips .. and only 1 the past 4 years ! :icon_lol:

Here's a little wing folding for ya......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jTCpQPBfR-Y

CodyValkyrie
May 10th, 2011, 12:34
I gotta tell ya, I'm creating a video about "bush flying." This Storch could be a definite feature in the video. This video I am creating has been LONG in the holding pattern.

Stop teasing me Francois ;)

Dev One
May 10th, 2011, 12:36
Francois, Thanks for the wing fold Video, very nice, but simpler than the Proctor I think - less pieces if you study the gap fairing as well as the two spar sliding pins!

I must admit that I do like the VC shot - very nice, When it is released I think I might buy it - I normally only do Freeware, although I do have the Aeroplane Heaven Spits...:salute:

Regards
Keith

Walter
May 10th, 2011, 12:38
That is amazing! :jump: Lots of great quality there!

I can't believe that this is only a beta! I love the animation on the wings! Great work! :applause:

Walter :mixedsmi:

Francois
May 10th, 2011, 12:40
Well, it is basically a simple aircraft. I liked it immensely. I could understand and handle each piece of it, almost like an old ultralight :-)

I'm working on a VC video as well.. but my eyelids are starting to get heavy... and I still have the laundry to do as well ...... so maybe tomorrow.

Francois
May 10th, 2011, 12:41
@Cody: LOL ! I don't think you'd find many Storch's in the bush ..... but it does beat most Cubs in slow flying and landing!

Kiwikat
May 10th, 2011, 12:42
Looks great! I'll definitely be picking this one up.

Some people think she's ugly. I think she's pretty darn cool. Ugly is the 747SP. :173go1:

hae5904
May 11th, 2011, 05:41
Francois, will there be a paintkit included, or will there be one released eventually?

This plane could bring a zillion repaints.......:icon_lol:

Cheers,
Hank

Francois
May 11th, 2011, 07:03
We'll release a paintkit after the initial release. Always a bit of a struggle to get one done, but it will be done ;-)

OleBoy
May 11th, 2011, 08:33
Looks great! I'll definitely be picking this one up.

Some people think she's ugly. I think she's pretty darn cool. Ugly is the 747SP. :173go1:

My comment, meaning facetious.

hae5904
May 13th, 2011, 04:41
We'll release a paintkit after the initial release. Always a bit of a struggle to get one done, but it will be done ;-)

Dank je Francois! Looking forward to this classic flugzeug.:jump:

Hank

Mathias
May 13th, 2011, 09:38
Really lovely depiction of a Storch but why oh why yet again another blue Luftwaffe interior?
Particular noteworthy since Francois's real world photos show the black-green RLM66 in all it's glory, even if a bit dark.:salute:
I mean you wouldn't want a blue olive drab either, would you?

Francois
May 13th, 2011, 10:08
Maybe my screenshots or monitor aren't up to specs, but the interior most certainly is NOT 'blue'.
Not pitch black either, that's true. Maybe we'll make it a bit darker still.
But I checked my (hundreds) of photos once more, and on most the interior does look black-grey, with a blue-ish shine in some places. Granted, some it because of the harsh light of the flash.

There's also a bit of a practical side to it. We found with our Lysander that too dark makes it very hard to SEE and operate in the sim. We had the outside of Lizzie repainted quite a few times, and in the end it still is too dark to show the very nice detail on it.

So in the end, its a trade off between reality, practicality, artistic freedom (!) and technology.... and maybe even taste.

Remember, this is still BETA, so you may well end up with an orange or yellow Storch in the end :icon_lol:

bstolle
May 16th, 2011, 06:25
Really lovely depiction of a Storch but why oh why yet again another blue Luftwaffe interior?
Particular noteworthy since Francois's real world photos show the black-green RLM66 in all it's glory, even if a bit dark.:salute:
I mean you wouldn't want a blue olive drab either, would you?

RLM66 is black-grey and was the interior color from 1936 onwards
RLM70 is black-green was used as camouflage in winter 39-40 on the Bf109

Francois
May 16th, 2011, 06:31
Ummmm.. .yes.

I think the 'Florida Storch' is RLM66 then... what color Simon made of it... or MY MONITOR for that matter, is another matter. For sure it isn't blue !? :icon_lol:

Mathias
May 16th, 2011, 06:47
RLM66 is black-grey and was the interior color from 1936 onwards
RLM70 is black-green was used as camouflage in winter 39-40 on the Bf109

That's not correct Bernt as far as RLM66 goes.
First, the descriptive names "black-something" and so forth are post war additions.
RLM66 always was and is a very dark greenish teint and was used on interiors from late41/early42 onwards. Before that you can see RLM66 on panel plates occasionally, and only there.
Before late 41 is was RLM02 for interiors, a medium grey with a greenish teint.
A good leftover example of RLM66 can be seen on the south african Fw190A-6.
It has been repainted in bluish colors post capture but the original RLM66 was retained for instance on the pilot seat and wherever original labels have not been overpainted such as the area where you can read "Staurohr Heizung D2"

http://www.classics-hangar.de/temp_images/Fw_190_054.jpg

http://www.classics-hangar.de/temp_images/Fw_190_123.jpg

EDIT: Anyway, that doesn't take away anything from the lovely Storch except maybe for the most picky Luftwaffe talibans (like me, LOL).

bstolle
May 16th, 2011, 07:07
The color chips I have show RLM66 as a dark grey very similar to panzer-grau without any green hue.
RLM70 is almost black with a greenish tint on the color ships.
Guess after 60 years it's not that easy to establish the correct hue etc for these old faded colors.

Mathias
May 16th, 2011, 07:12
Bernt, the original receips still exsist and the German museums do a really great job lately to reproduce accurate colors on their period aircraft.
Probably time to get more accurate color chips then.

bstolle
May 16th, 2011, 07:18
That's of course possible. Just made a screencapture of your 108 panel and an it's almost neutral black-gray with just a faint yellow hue.
Guess with these almost-black colors it's difficult to achieve a 100% correct display on every monitor.

Francois
May 16th, 2011, 07:20
.... I'm just happy flying it...... with American paint and all :icon_lol:

Mathias
May 16th, 2011, 07:28
That's of course possible. Just made a screencapture of your 108 panel and an it's almost neutral black-gray with just a faint yellow hue.
Guess with these almost-black colors it's difficult to achieve a 100% correct display on every monitor.

Your monitor is most likely calibrated too dark with too much contrast?
Base color is RGB53/56/51 which is an accurate depiction of RLM66 in computer speech.
Color variations in the panel plate are due to global illumination and color "bleeding" from surrounding geometry.
That is the historical panel. The IFR light panel is indeed "black".

Aynway, the Storch will fit my hangar nicely with either shade. :-)

Francois
May 16th, 2011, 07:43
These show almost light grey on my LED monitor. And I see the problem as with all flash photos... the colors become much lighter because of the harsh light. Cannot be helped much... if we'd take the real light, the photos would be too dark for the artists to work with and see the details.

Modeling will remain a matter of continuously compromising I am sure ;-)

bstolle
May 16th, 2011, 07:46
Just tried the 53/56/51 and it looks exactly like my RLM71 dark green color chip.
Very similar hue as RLM02 which makes sense of course....

YoYo
May 28th, 2011, 12:39
Francois, Do You plan to create missions for Storch (fictional too) like it was with Lysander? :jump:

Francois
May 29th, 2011, 06:43
Your monitor is most likely calibrated too dark with too much contrast?
Base color is RGB53/56/51 which is an accurate depiction of RLM66 in computer speech.
Color variations in the panel plate are due to global illumination and color "bleeding" from surrounding geometry.
That is the historical panel. The IFR light panel is indeed "black".

Aynway, the Storch will fit my hangar nicely with either shade. :-)

Last communication I had from Simon (and he cannot get onto the forums because of his shaly internet connection) is that he is sorta 'stuck'.... not knowing what t odo. He says he made the color as close to my pictures as he could and if anyone has a workable 'change' and 'instruction' for him, he'll be happy to alter. Otherwise, we'll leave the colors as they are for now.

Francois
May 29th, 2011, 06:44
Francois, Do You plan to create missions for Storch (fictional too) like it was with Lysander? :jump:

I was planning to, but they will proably be released later as freeware. I simply am running out of time now with the Summer and travel coming. We did research a few missions, among others of course the 'rescue'of Musolini.