PDA

View Full Version : A Riddle: What did mothers ....

mjahn
May 6th, 2011, 23:07
... tell their daughters in 1956?

No further clues will be given. First one to get it right will be rewarded with a WIP Screenie. Oh, that's another clue.

Naismith
May 6th, 2011, 23:10
Keep yer hand on yer ha'penny.:kilroy:

mjahn
May 6th, 2011, 23:13
Good advice but No.

huub vink
May 7th, 2011, 00:02
Be aware of the guy singing heart break hotel?

jankees
May 7th, 2011, 03:13
have you tried those new style swimsuits yet?

Dain Arns
May 7th, 2011, 03:31
That any woman can grow up, find their 'Prince Charming', and become a Princess too?
Look at Grace Kelly. :icon_lol:

OleBoy
May 7th, 2011, 05:39
What did mothers

Not even going to try and guess. A good riddle but, what part of the world is your riddle based in?

I'll still get to lick the bowl!!37206

Bjoern
May 7th, 2011, 07:34
"Is that United DC-7 coming closer, honey?"
- "I don't know, mom. Oh, look! The Grand Canyon!"

First aviation-related thing in 1956 I could think of.

If it's a *real* mother-daughter thing...

"Stay away from that hip-swinging singer from TV! If I find one of his albums in your bedroom, you're off to the convent!"

mjahn
May 7th, 2011, 07:37
Grace Kelly ... not so bad, also answers the question what part of the world ... in a sense. Otherwise you're getting fairly cold, around -45°.

Bjoern
May 7th, 2011, 07:44
Otherwise you're getting fairly cold, around -45°.

31. Oktober: Das erste Flugzeug landet am Südpol. Die Expeditionsgruppe der US Navy um Admiral George Dufek hat den Auftrag, den Bau der Amundsen-Scott-Südpolstation vorzubereiten.

But then again...no family issues there.

HvyEng
May 9th, 2011, 08:46
Stay away from men with 36 inch zippers? <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
<o:p></o:p>
(Flight-suits have 36 inch zippers for you dirty minded types)<o:p></o:p>
I dunno, I give up<o:p></o:p>
--Dan<o:p></o:p>

vora
May 9th, 2011, 10:39
"What do you call this tiny piece of cloth??? Beekeenee?"

May 21, 1956. First air drop of an H-bomb by a B-52 on Bikini Atoll.

Cookie? :naturesm:

mjahn
May 9th, 2011, 11:11
Any further hint would immediately give it away, I think. Believe me, I took great pains not to make this google-able either.

Chris Sykes
May 9th, 2011, 12:41
Otherwise you're getting fairly cold, around -45°.

Hmmm is that hint at degrees south???

I would guess something in AUS but then again the Bell X was being used in 1956???

diegoxs
May 9th, 2011, 12:54
Candy bomber?

kilo delta
May 9th, 2011, 13:16

:kilroy::icon_lol:

mjahn
May 9th, 2011, 14:05
All I can say is once the cat's out of the bag there will be a chorus of "I knew that!"

Candy bomber I like, obviously, but it's not 1956 is it?

http://home.arcor.de/edug/candy.jpg

myles
May 9th, 2011, 14:55
Roger Vadim is a very perceptive man?

Myles

srgalahad
May 9th, 2011, 19:28
In 1956 mothers ( according to Doris Day) said:

Que sera, sera.
Whatever will be, will be.
The future's not ours to see.
Que sera, sera.
What will be, will be.

From "The Man Who Knew Too Much"
Hmmmm.. I sense a Jimmy Stewart connection here...

xZbKHDPPrrc

srgalahad
May 9th, 2011, 19:49
Which leads us to Jimmy Stewart....

Hmmm... a number of choices in his 'life'

B-17's, B-24's, B-36's, X-15's, a "Reindeer", a Ryan NYP, a certain 'bush' single... a resurrection in the desert....

:iidea:

jpmouse
May 9th, 2011, 21:02

No further clues will be given. First one to get it right will be rewarded with a WIP Screenie. Oh, that's another clue.

Men don't make passes at girls who wear glasses?

mjahn
May 9th, 2011, 21:19
Spot on Sir Galahad! You've got it ... part of it.

When I was just a little girl
I asked my mother what will I be
Will I be pretty will I be rich
Here's what she said to me ...

Now "only connect", as E. M. Forster said, and the one remaining piece will fall into place.

srgalahad
May 10th, 2011, 06:41
Slightly off-topic, but Forster (in 1909) frighteningly described social media, internet forums and a particularly unpleasant end in The Machine Stops:

"The clumsy system of public gatherings had been long since abandoned; neither Vashti nor her audience stirred from their rooms. Seated in her armchair she spoke, while they in their armchairs heard her, fairly well, and saw her, fairly well. She opened with a humorous account of music in the pre Mongolian epoch, and went on to describe the great outburst of song that followed the Chinese conquest. Remote and primæval as were the methods of I-San-So and the Brisbane school, she yet felt (she said) that study of them might repay the musicians of today: they had freshness; they had, above all, ideas. Her lecture, which lasted ten minutes, was well received, and at its conclusion she and many of her audience listened to a lecture on the sea; there were ideas to be got from the sea; the speaker had donned a respirator and visited it lately. Then she fed, talked to many friends, had a bath, talked again, and summoned her bed."

http://archive.ncsa.illinois.edu/prajlich/forster.html

Now, should we book A Passage to India?

huub vink
May 10th, 2011, 07:29
When it is a James Stewart connection it could be a Boxcar in colours of the movie Flight of the Phoenix.

A still puzzled,
Huub

Bjoern
May 10th, 2011, 08:12
Candy bomber?

Eight years too late for that.

Candy bomber I like, obviously, but it's not 1956 is it?

http://home.arcor.de/edug/candy.jpg

Been there recently. The C-54 sits there without control surfaces and looks pretty sad in general.

The VFW-614 doesn't look any better and the Nord 262...well, it's been derelict for ages.

I'd rate Tempelhof my personal saddest place on earth.
Sure, my foot on the very same concrete that has seen planes of all sizes and ages has something great, but I just miss the action at "Berlin City"...

Men don't make passes at girls who wear glasses?

Depends on what's underneath the glasses...

srgalahad
May 10th, 2011, 09:21
Que Sera Sera
"will I be pretty?"

it really shouldn't be that difficult to get to the South Pole but it took a long time... until October 31, 1956 to be precise

http://www.airliners.net/photo/USA---Navy/Douglas-R4D-5L-Skytrain/1222264/&sid=0e809edf7f233fd65c57132c01379a23

mjahn
May 10th, 2011, 11:30
Bravo, well done!!

(I admire the way you backtracked from the Jimmy Stewart lead. Seems you really were exploring all avenues.)

A big thank you to all contributors. It must be said that Bjoern actually got a grip on the aviation angle, he just did not follow up what he had found.

Overall, what a neat demonstration of neuronal activity.

Que Sera Sera sung by Doris Day in Alfred Hitchcock’s 1956 The Man Who Knew Too Much had been an instant hit and was to become her signature tune. Also in 1956, the US Navy managed the first landing at the South Pole as part of Operation Deep Freeze II, battling chilly -45F degrees. Five aircraft were involved – a C-124 Globemaster (circling overhead), a C-54 Skymaster (returning to base with engine trouble), and three R4D/C-47 Skytrains fitted with radar noses, skis, and JATO bottles. The one that actually landed was BuAer 12418 Que Sera Sera.

Here is the WIP screenie, with various texture adjustments and ski animation yet to be done.

http://home.arcor.de/edug/47_144.jpg

robcap
May 10th, 2011, 11:58
Interesting game, great model!
Way to go Manfred!!

Bjoern
May 10th, 2011, 15:05
It must be said that Bjoern actually got a grip on the aviation angle, he just did not follow up what he had found.

Now that I see an actual pic of the project, it would have been an easy follow-up indeed...

Well, but it was fun. :)