PDA

View Full Version : Bristol Centaurus 'Seafury' sounds released...

nigel richards
May 5th, 2011, 04:43

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/images/ldm-silk-icons/new.png http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/images/ldm-silk-icons/zip.png Bristol Centaurus soundset by Nigel Richards http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/images/ldm-silk-icons/download.png (http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/local_links.php?action=jump&catid=110&id=3976)

The soundset for the Seafury is finally on deck! So strap in, get cracking and spoil yourself!

As the the immortal John Beattie casually used to announce on display commencement...

"Seafury running in!..."

My sincere thanks to Paul Barry once again for the kind use of the original starter sequence. I owe you one Paul! :salute:

RyDraiggoch
May 5th, 2011, 08:22
Nigel

Great stuff

Mind if we post it next door? we have the SFREL and the upgraded Fury and paints there already

Leif

stuartcox
May 5th, 2011, 09:40
Nigel, what have you done?
This soundset is absolutely awesome!
The 'grinding' and 'gurgling' are spot on!
I'm loving it, and so are my neighbours.... and the people across the road! (I hope).
Play it loud!
Thanks! There is certainly nothing out there coming anywhere as close as this!

Regards, Stuart :jump:

nigel richards
May 5th, 2011, 10:22
:salute: Gentlemen, thankyou for your encouraging words.

Leif, please put the sounds up nextdoor, as you say.
I'm honoured!

Stuart, make sure the 'fury can be heard as far as Bexhill! (Fond memories) as of Shoreham during the seventies, when 'Psychodelic Monster' (think I spelled it right) was resident.

Best Regards,
Nigel

Flyboy208
May 5th, 2011, 11:31
Thank you kindly for the new soundset Nigel ! Mike :ernae:

Matt Wynn
May 5th, 2011, 12:12
Nigel, it's so good my dogs hiding under the desk in anticipation of another startup and sortie over the Aegean :icon_lol:

loving all the little quirks in it's sounds, this is the way sounds should be!..... everyone to Nigels local Taverna, Ouzo and Tsipouro are on me tonight! :salute:

nigel richards
May 5th, 2011, 13:25
Smoothie; next round's on me at a nice water's edge Taverna at Develiki. Ouzo's on ice, lots of little 'mezes' (delicacies)...everyone HAFing the time of their life.
Entertainment; courtesy of Hellenic Air Force (Larissa boys).

Stuart; Cod and chips in Hastings (old town), then its off for a pint in Crowhurst! (on my tab)

Flyboy208 "Thank you kindly for the new soundset Nigel ! Mike http://64.19.142.10/www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/images/smilies/ernaehrung004.gif"
Mike; The thanks are mine!http://64.19.142.10/www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/images/smilies/ernaehrung004.gif

:wavey:

stuartcox
May 5th, 2011, 13:28
Stuart, make sure the 'fury can be heard as far as Bexhill! (Fond memories) as of Shoreham during the seventies, when 'Psychodelic Monster' (think I spelled it right) was resident.

Best Regards,
Nigel

As for the 'Psychedelic Monster', anybody up for a B-25 repaint? Great memories here too!

Matt Wynn
May 5th, 2011, 13:35
Smoothie; next round's on me at a nice water's edge Taverna at Develiki. Ouzo's on ice, lots of little 'mezes' (delicacies)...everyone HAFing the time of their life.
Entertainment; courtesy of Hellenic Air Force (Larissa boys).

Stuart; Cod and chips in Hastings (old town), then its off for a pint in Crowhurst! (on my tab)

well Courtesy of 348MTA 'Matia' via myself :icon_lol: but sounds good to me, mezedes (D there pronounced as 'th' to all you non-greek speakers, Mezedes meaning small plates) , and ouzo... on ice? i'll take mine dry hammer ("ξεροσφύρι") thanks Nigel, especially if it's 12 Gold :icon_lol:

...just loving these sounds had her sat purring over on the tarmac for the last half hour, what a noise! :jump:

stuartcox
May 5th, 2011, 14:06
Stuart; Cod and chips in Hastings (old town), then its off for a pint in Crowhurst!

Let us know when you're down here! Would be nice to have a pint with some fellow enthusiasts...!

RyDraiggoch
May 5th, 2011, 14:38
Nigel
Its up next door mate -- loverly bit of noise that -- Thank you

http://www.britsim.com/components/com_remository_files/file_image_2108/img_2108_02.jpg

http://www.britsim.com/components/com_remository_files/file_image_2108/th_2108_03.jpg

http://www.britsim.com/components/com_remository_files/file_image_2108/img_2108_01.jpg

If anyone asks, that's Dave Molyneaux's Ratcliffe Leicestershire scenery
the Sound , the Fury and the Scenery are ALL available at the Pond now

leif
www.britsim.com

Blackbird686
May 5th, 2011, 14:59
Ahhh, the "G-Fury".. Nice plane and fun to fly, Great shots, RyDraiggoch !

Nigel, those sounds are the best! The ol 'Beast' is a noisy racket and you've captured the sound of the Bristol Centarus engine perfectly.:applause::applause::applause:

BB686:USA-flag:

HorusJ
May 5th, 2011, 19:53
:applause: Bravo Nigel! You have really out done yourself this time!

Flyboy208
May 5th, 2011, 20:36
About time this got a sticky - Brilliant of Nigel !!! Mike :unitedkingdom::applause:

AndyG43
May 5th, 2011, 23:04
Absolutely awesome Nigel, well done mate! :salute:

Busy day yesterday, so got home really late; but made it a priority to log on, download this soundpack, and take the lady up for a spin - and glad I did, most definitely one of the finest sets of sounds I have ever heard in sim.

nigel richards
May 6th, 2011, 07:01
:salute:
RyDraiggoch; thankyou once again for your kind words. The lovely shots of the Seafury deserve a place in the 'art thread'. I'll definately be downloading Dave Molyneaux's Ratcliffe scenery too!

AndyG43, Flyboy208, HorusJ, Blackbird686; thank you all for your continual encouragement and kind words. You have all made it worthwhile! :salute:

My thanks to all'
Nigel

nigel richards
May 6th, 2011, 07:08

As many of you may notice, I have replaced the original model propblurrs with new textures, but they're four-bladers.
Does anyone here have a set of decent 'fivers'?

Hooky722...SOS!
I'm still stuck down here at HMS Daedelus, Hooky!
While not complaining at doing a bit of sightseeing over the Isle of Wight and a bit of pub crawling here at Lee-on-Solent (and the Victory tour at Portsmouth for the umteenth time, "me hearty"!), the old girl's getting homesick for RNAS Yeovilton and I could do with a pint of 'Scrumpy'! Plugs need changing and I'm not happy with the props!
Anything on the horizon 'me old hearty'?

Flyboy208
May 6th, 2011, 07:34
Here ya go Nigel ... Mike :salute:

racartron
May 6th, 2011, 07:37
Yet another masterpiece from the Land o' Ouzo. This racket may be your best yet. The whistle was unexpected and is very reminescent of the P-51 "whistle of death." Really cool.

Like someone else said, it's fun to fire her up and just let her set on the tarmac boiling away, and away, and away.

nigel richards
May 6th, 2011, 08:45

:salute:Flyboy208; Mike, your 'propellor texture' contribution to this wonderful aicraft has made my day. Many thanks!

racartron; greetings and thanks from the 'Land of Ouzo'! I think I owe you a bottle or two.

The P-51 "whistle of death" is definately on my list of 'to-do's'!

racartron
May 6th, 2011, 09:10
As I sat on the ramp, mezmerised by the pounding of the throbbing engine, I took a closer look around the VC. I hadn't noticed the slightly fuzzy gauge appearance. Sooo, went into the panel.cfg and made the following adjustment for all the vc windows.

[Vcockpit01] thru [Vcockpit07]

pixel_size=1024,1024 //512,512

Makes a big difference.:jump:

One bottle of Ouzo would be more than enough kind Sir. As I vaguely recall, that amount usually had me crawling from the Electra hotel to the Acropolis -- for some reason known only to the Oracle I'm guessing.:blind:

Blackbird686
May 6th, 2011, 11:54
Yet another masterpiece from the Land o' Ouzo. This racket may be your best yet. The whistle was unexpected and is very reminescent of the P-51 "whistle of death." Really cool.

Like someone else said, it's fun to fire her up and just let her set on the tarmac boiling away, and away, and away.

I may be wrong here but I think the name "Whistling Death" was given to the F4U Corsair, by the Japanese, during WWII, for that very reason. The P-51 also has a definate "whine" at higher rpm when the supercharger kicks in. That Rolls Royce (Packard) Merlin sounds so smooth and sweet!

Excellent job on those sounds Nigel! A round of Ouzo for all the "Sea Fury Drivers".

nigel richards
May 6th, 2011, 13:01
racartron, BB686; ...is this what you mean Gentlemen? 37130 :salute:

Excellent job on those sounds Nigel! A round of Ouzo for all the "Sea Fury Drivers".

I'll second that, in fact why don't we make it our 'official' ceremonial drink!

...and before we all get legless, as described (prescribed?) by racartron, make his suggested changes to the panel cfg file. It makes a big improvement! :salute:

...nnnootttherrr bbotttllle fforr racartron !!!! :isadizzy:

racartron
May 6th, 2011, 16:01
More poking around while sitting on the tarmac.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bristol_Centaurus

Looks like there is a real need for a two and four engine version to cover the many many birds that used the Centaurus:ichile:

Hmmmmmmmmmm, I wonder who in the FS world might be capable of crating such a beast?????

nigel richards
May 6th, 2011, 16:41
37152 :icon_eek:...take another sip of ouzo and get this to your ears...

Rubberlegs
May 6th, 2011, 18:07
Hey Nigel!...finally got the 'Bristol-Cent-sounds' installed and must say.."Oh! How Sweet it is..!!!..that sound of Fury!! Just Great!
Walt
Fly High...Punch Holes in the Sky

nigel richards
May 6th, 2011, 22:50
:salute: Walt, glad you managed to get the Centaurus fired up. Keep her punching the holes!

racartron; the twin/multies version would be a useful addition. It's on my list even though in the absence of firsthand sound scources they may have to be a compromise using the Seafury sounds in 'mixes'. This would be a last resort however, and if anyone knows of 'multi' Centaurus recordings, I would be most interested.
T'would be nice for the Bristol Brigand, too. Available at Britsim I believe.

I will be offline for about a week due to pressing engagements. Please PM me with any queries or suggestions and I'll be on to them ASAP.

In the meantime, I thank all of you once again for making our community such a rich, diverse and absorbing place to be!

Best Regards'
Nigel

RyDraiggoch
May 7th, 2011, 09:32
Nigel
For any who are interested

its right here, Uncles Teds venerable Brigand

http://www.britsim.com/index.php?option=com_remository&Itemid=162&func=fileinfo&id=1702

Leif

Flyboy208
May 7th, 2011, 16:22
Nigel, happy to be of service with the prop mods ... Mike :salute:

Flyboy208
May 7th, 2011, 18:14
I might also mention that racartron's vc mods are stellar - makes a huge difference!

Mike :applause:

RyDraiggoch
May 7th, 2011, 18:48
Nigel

Just did a down a dirty dupe of your sounds and hooked them into Teds Brigand, I think I just woke the neighbourhood up!!!!

Now you need to do a real mod, and rememeber you get a hiss off the cooling impellors on the Brigand.

Leif

racartron
May 7th, 2011, 19:01
I might also mention that racartron's vc mods are stellar - makes a huge difference!

Mike :applause:

'ppreciate the comments, but this tweak has been around for literally years. In the ol' days, most processors counldn't manage the 1023x1024 pixel size, hence the 512x512 compromise. A lot of designers got in the habit of just pushing the lower res size to keep folks from fussing (at them mostly).

Old habits die hard and you would be amazed how many birds in your hanger also have the 512x512 pixel callout hiding in th panel.cfg. I discover several a week as I play around with my ever growing inventory.

nigel richards
May 8th, 2011, 22:26
Nigel

Just did a down a dirty dupe of your sounds and hooked them into Teds Brigand, I think I just woke the neighbourhood up!!!!

Now you need to do a real mod, and rememeber you get a hiss off the cooling impellors on the Brigand.

Leif

:salute: 'Uncle' Ted Cook has certainly blessed our community with some gems over the years, Leif. The Bristol Brigand is no exception. This is another aircraft where a little tweaking can bring new life to an excellent base model. I will definately be looking into a 'multies' sound version. If I can dupe that 'hiss' it will surely be there too.
Thanks Leif!

AndyG43
May 8th, 2011, 23:55
:salute: 'Uncle' Ted Cook has certainly blessed our community with some gems over the years, Leif.

It's one of a number of Ted Cook aircraft that I think deserve the SOH polish; a decent paintkit, some attention to the FDE and I think it could be pretty spectacular. The same applies to his series of Hawker biplanes (Fury, Nimrod and the Hart series), they are damn good in their own right but a little attention will make them into something special - the recent release of the RR Kestrel soundpack at Britsim breathed new life into these, now all they need is a set of decent paintjobs.

My concentration at the moment, however, is on his Avro Lincoln, after I picked up an old Warpaint on the weekend. There are so many interesting schemes that could be applied, I just hope that he has mapped this model in a way that allows me to try a few of them out.

RyDraiggoch
May 9th, 2011, 00:15
Andy
you know there is an updated version that Ted did, with a Cockpit by Lars Fors and a nice MerlinXX sound set? Peter Watkins did a couple of repaints for it

Leif

AndyG43
May 9th, 2011, 00:21
Andy
you know there is an updated version that Ted did, with a Cockpit by Lars Fors and a nice MerlinXX sound set? Peter Watkins did a couple of repaints for it

Leif

Leif,

Yep, found it last night and installed it; that cockpit is very nice - and those sounds, wow!! I got Peter's repaints, that 57 Sqn repaint is sweet; got a few in mind myself now, as I said it's just a case of hoping Ted's mapping will allow me to do what's needed.

vonernsk
May 9th, 2011, 12:00
Nigel,

Thanks for your outstanding Centaurus sounds. Inspired me to dust off the Sea Fury and brush up my Carrier quals.

The only Brit Carrier I have at present is the HMS OCEAN or GLORY conversion from a French freeware version of the ex-COLOSSUS class Carrier ARROMANCHES.

Have installed the HMS ARK ROYAL created by Chandler, Paterson and Kirby. Am sure it would look nice if the deck was not at sea-level.

Anyone out there know of a fix to raise this Carrier up 66 feet?

Clarke123
May 9th, 2011, 16:20
Nigel,

Thanks for your outstanding Centaurus sounds. Inspired me to dust off the Sea Fury and brush up my Carrier quals.

The only Brit Carrier I have at present is the HMS OCEAN or GLORY conversion from a French freeware version of the ex-COLOSSUS class Carrier ARROMANCHES.

Have installed the HMS ARK ROYAL created by Chandler, Paterson and Kirby. Am sure it would look nice if the deck was not at sea-level.

Anyone out there know of a fix to raise this Carrier up 66 feet?
The 4 AF2 files that have OF in the title need to be in a seperate folder, call it Flatten create another folder inside flatten called scenery and put the OF files inside the scenery folder. Very important make sure you keep this at the top of the scenery list.
The problem with the sinking decks comes from FS throwing a wobbly with airports that hover above the water and it drags the water up to meet it. The way around it is to make a "flatten" file seperate from the normal afcad that forces the water to stay down. In this case the flattens are provided but for future reference open Afcad, put an apron taxi route that run's down the carrier extending out a few hundred feet either end and make the taxi route 800 feet wide. Take a look at the flattens with the Ark to see what I mean. Flattens only work if they are at a higher scenery priority than the carrier scenery. I keep all flattens together in one file and keep it at the top of the scenery list to avoid problems.

Flyboy208
May 9th, 2011, 20:10
A bit of proper Carrier ops here ... Mike :salute:

nigel richards
May 10th, 2011, 09:25
:salute:vonernsk; glad you liked the sounds. I think I'll follow your example and do a bit of carrier brushing up myself!

Clarke123; thanks for the HU with the carriers!

AndyG43 and Leif, thanks for reminding us about good old Ted Cooks Lincoln. And those interwar Hawker bipes...love those little aircraft!

Flyboy208; now those are some taaasty shots, Mike!

Hey, anyone know if Ted Cook is presently working on a new project?
He certainly has been a wiz at filling gaping fs gaps in the past. I could ask the same about Dave Garwood.
Where would be without that superb Hunter. And no one did anything on a freeware Lanc since Dave's. It's beyond my comprehension the fact that we have nothing in the way of a serious Mossie too; what a prototype...so many variants!
There I go getting off track again!...

vonernsk
May 10th, 2011, 09:55
The 4 AF2 files that have OF in the title need to be in a seperate folder, call it Flatten create another folder inside flatten called scenery and put the OF files inside the scenery folder. Very important make sure you keep this at the top of the scenery list.
The problem with the sinking decks comes from FS throwing a wobbly with airports that hover above the water and it drags the water up to meet it. The way around it is to make a "flatten" file seperate from the normal afcad that forces the water to stay down. In this case the flattens are provided but for future reference open Afcad, put an apron taxi route that run's down the carrier extending out a few hundred feet either end and make the taxi route 800 feet wide. Take a look at the flattens with the Ark to see what I mean. Flattens only work if they are at a higher scenery priority than the carrier scenery. I keep all flattens together in one file and keep it at the top of the scenery list to avoid problems.

Clarke 123: Many tks for this tip. Will let you know when I have surfaced!

vonernsk
May 10th, 2011, 11:10
Clarke123:
Hi!

Carried out you carrier instructions re inserting the OF files in there own folder and ensuring that this folder was at the top of the FS2004 Scenery files.

Carrier no longer 'hull-down' but deck not landable ie landing on the 'deck' results in a rapid lift ride to the sea below and crash.

The sea below the carrier is quite 'solid' ie going to the carrier result in sitting on a hard sea underneath the carrier.

Prob seems to be how to get the solidity of the sea below the carrier up to the level of the carrier's flt deck.

Still . . . . at least I can admire her in all of her beauty, even if I cannot land on her. Bit like my first date.

nigel richards
May 10th, 2011, 11:37
:salute: vonernsk, Ι'm certainly no expert on this (in fact I'm not an expert on anything), but did you check the airport/runway height on your afcad?

vonernsk
May 10th, 2011, 11:48
Nigel,

Tks for the interest.

No, I have not checked what the 'AFCAD' Rwy ht is.

Tell me where to find it and I will check it (but what to check? do not have the deck height of the ARK ROYAL in question to hand . . . )

Presumably this is all about raising the hard bit currently at sea-level to the required ht to simulate the landing deck?

Has anyone else experienced this?

Any more life-belts for a sinking sailor?

nigel richards
May 10th, 2011, 12:07
Nigel,

Tks for the interest.

No, I have not checked what the 'AFCAD' Rwy ht is.

Tell me where to find it and I will check it (but what to check? do not have the deck height of the ARK ROYAL in question to hand . . . )

Presumably this is all about raising the hard bit currently at sea-level to the required ht to simulate the landing deck?

Has anyone else experienced this?

Any more life-belts for a sinking sailor?

Do you have afcad?

If so, open the afcad for your aircraft carrier. (Don't forget, you're telling fs2004 that your aircraft carrier is an airport)
Unfortunately, I'm writing from my daughters lap-top so I cant give you precise instructions. Dont worry about the exact height you can try by eye and make adjustments or if you have fs pointer just skew into position, pause, open the map in your fs menu and take the height reading from here. Close fs. Open your carrier 'airport' in afcad and in the menu go to the airport settings/preferences. Change the airport ht to what you have estimated, save, then exit afcad. Make sure you saved the new afcad in the scenery file where you placed the carrier!
Fire up fs and see what changes you have made and if nessessary make further adjustments until you are happy with the results.

Clarke123
May 10th, 2011, 12:33
Afcad height should be OK if you haven't modified it yourself. Just to confirm, you have put the AF2_ARK1, AF2_ARK2, AF2_ARK3, AF2_ARK4, into the addon scenery - scenery folder? If so try putting them in the relevant ARK scenery folders and see if that helps.

vonernsk
May 10th, 2011, 13:18
Nigel,

Clearly I need to get out of the cockpit and do a little research into this AFCAD thing, sorry if I have wasted your time.

Clarke123,

Very many thanks. Had all the files in the right folders but because this package was upgraded and the new xx.bgl files were not named the same I deleted the wrong set.

Just moved to the ARK and . . . bingo, sitting on top not underneath.

Arrestor Cable files recognized OK.

Now the acid test. A circuit and successful landing.

Rgds Mal

nigel richards
May 10th, 2011, 13:51
:salute: Welcome aboard vonernsk. Clarke123; thanks for pulling us out of the drink!

nigel richards
May 13th, 2011, 01:00
:salute:...for those using my seafury sounds, this makes a sparkling addition to any hangar. It's by the same autors too!; FS2004 (ACOF) - FS2004 WarbirdsFS2004 RAF Hawker Tempest II
[ Download (http://www.flightsim.com/kdl.php?fid=74640) | View (http://www.flightsim.com/zview.php?cm=list&fid=74640) ]
Name: temp2a.zip (http://www.flightsim.com/kdl.php?fid=74640) Size: 5,343,231 Date: 03-10-2004 Downloads: 5,486
http://64.19.142.13/www.flightsim.com/images/fscfiles//j/temp2ap.gif http://64.19.142.15/www.flightsim.com/images/fscfiles//j/temp2a.gif FS2004 RAF Hawker Tempest II. MW774 HF-X from 54 Squadron of the Royal Air Force in late 1945. This package includes a new model.The Tempest Mk II was probably the cleanest radial engined fighter of the Second World War. The Centaurus engine and Tempest airframe proved an excellent match and the Centaurus was generally regarded as superior to the Sabre, particularly in terms of reliability. The Tempest II, despite its slightly improved performance and better reliability, never saw combat. Tempest IIs produced during the war were intended for combat against the Japanese, but the Pacific War ended before they could be deployed. This is a FSDS V2 model for FS2004. It features 2D and virtual cockpit, opening cockpit canopy, moving pilot's head and many other animations as well as lights and automatic special effects. By David Hanvey and Paul Barry. Air file by Jerry Beckwith. Original effects by Jan Rosenberg.

...and so is this...Ah! If I could only find some original sound scources for the Napier Sabre. If anyone has access to wartime recordings this would be a definate project!

FS2004 (ACOF) - FS2004 Modern MilitaryFS2004 RAF Hawker Tempest VI
[ Download (http://www.flightsim.com/kdl.php?fid=75923) | View (http://www.flightsim.com/zview.php?cm=list&fid=75923) ]
Name: tempvi.zip (http://www.flightsim.com/kdl.php?fid=75923) Size: 5,506,093 Date: 04-25-2004 Downloads: 3,705
http://www.flightsim.com/images/fscfiles//j/tempvi.gif FS2004 RAF Hawker Tempest VI, NX142 GN-G from 249 Squadron of the Royal Air Force in 1948. This unit first equipped with the Tempest MkVI in 1946. It was based in Iraq, although along with other Middle East squadrons was highly mobile and moved around from place to place. The Tempests were replaced in 1950. This package includes a new model. The Tempest Mk VI evolved as a development of the Mk V, with a more powerful 2340 hp Sabre V engine. This is a FSDS V2 model for FS2004. It features 2D and virtual cockpit, opening cockpit canopy, moving pilot's head and many other animations as well as lights and automatic special effects. By David Hanvey and Paul Barry. Air file by Jerry Beckwith. Original effects by Jan Rosenberg

Suggestions gentlemen?...and both these beauties could use some paints too!

AndyG43
May 13th, 2011, 01:40
Already put it into the Tempest II Nigel, and the Alphasim Firebrand. And I agree with your comment about the paints, the Tempest II in Indian AND Pakistani markings would make for some interesting variations - and of course there is the intriguing possibility that one of these beauties could be returning to the skies any time soon (http://www.hawkertempest.se/MW763.htm).

And the Mk VI could be fun too, with some interesting post war schemes; I need to find the reference, but I saw a late scheme for a Mk 6 (either 213 or 249 squadron) which was finished in the 'new' (then, but ths standard now) colour of dark sea grey rather than the usual ocean grey used throughout the war.

The website for everything Tempest can be found here (http://www.hawkertempest.se/index.htm). Nigel, this includes a multimedia section with sounds!!!

Blackbird686
May 13th, 2011, 03:26
This has turned into quite an interesting thread. Thanks for the info about the Tempest, Andy. It's like following the big Avro Vulcan "558" when she was being restored. What a labour of love (and money) that was.

hawkeye52
May 13th, 2011, 13:26
Thanks for the Tempest(s) heads-up, Nigel. It has been a favorite since I purchased the Frog kit back in the '60s. I would have been totally incredulous had I known I'd be "flying" her some fifty years later! :icon_lol:

- H52

nigel richards
May 14th, 2011, 09:37
AndyG43; much indebt to you Andy. That is some suberb, well-informed and fascinating HU indeed! Now I have a few bones for a soundset.
I remember years ago possessing a record; 'Sounds of the Aeroplane at War' I believe by Sunset Records. There was an extremely good quality recording of a rocket/bomb attack by RAF Typhoons. I don't suppose anyone by any good fortune, has a copy on CD/HD???

"And the Mk VI could be fun too, with some interesting post war schemes; I need to find the reference, but I saw a late scheme for a Mk 6 (either 213 or 249 squadron) which was finished in the 'new' (then, but ths standard now) colour of dark sea grey rather than the usual ocean grey used throughout the war."
Spot on Andy!

hawkeye52; You expressed my sentiments there too... Frog, Revell then Radio Controlled, but who would have imagined something like FS in our 'earlier' days? It always makes me say 'WOW!'

After PM's with Blackbird686;
'SOH PAINTERS: WE NEED YOU TALENTED GUYS HERE!!!' :salute:

AndyG43
May 14th, 2011, 10:25
I found my copy of Warpaint on the Tempest, and there are oodles & oodels of schemes - but I just don't know how to start by preparing the groundwork - I need somebody to teach me how to make a layered paintkit, anybody up for the job?

If I can crack this, then I have another couple of intereresting projects in mind (the Lincoln, which I've already mentioned and ...... no, that would be telling).

Matt Wynn
May 14th, 2011, 11:26
talk about getting sidetracked by projects but..... ok i'll bite.... lets see if i can paintkit this beauty up..... :icon_lol:

AndyG43
May 14th, 2011, 11:32
Matt, you are a star. I do need to learn though, so if anybody has any tips or tutorials I'll be very grateful.

Matt Wynn
May 14th, 2011, 11:33
what program do you use Andy? as i may be able to do a tutorial as i work on this.....

nigel richards
May 14th, 2011, 11:46
37902 Blackbird686; I hope this takes care of the 'gauges' problem; Just unzip and place folder "Fury_Gauges" into your gauges folder as is.
Don't take the effects out of the folder.

:salute:Smoothie to the rescue once again! You're a real sport, and I reckon you must be something of a Hawker fan too. THANKS BUDDY!!!

Matt Wynn
May 14th, 2011, 11:51
:salute:Smoothie to the rescue once again! You're a real sport, and I reckon you must be something of a Hawker fan too. THANKS BUDDY!!!

yeah my sim is full of Hawkers.... probably close to 100 Hunters (All DG's painted up), Fury, Sea Fury, Demon, Hart, Hind, Typhoon, Tempest, Hurricanes.... et cetera (Includes a few from divisional Companies like A.V.Roe and Hawker-Siddely, the latter encompassing the HS.748, HS Hawk (Before it became BAe Systems Hawk), and of course the Harriers (Again before that got had by BAe)... :icon_lol:

**Edit.... forgot the Tomtit, Nimrod (both prop and more recent Jet), HS125, Horsley, Fury Mk.II, Audax (Army derivation of the Hart), Osprey..... :icon_lol: suffice to say my Duxford gets kinda crowded and you end up parking wherever you can find a space... and that reminds me to add in a display parking line....

AndyG43
May 14th, 2011, 11:53
what program do you use Andy? as i may be able to do a tutorial as i work on this.....

Mainly Photoshop CS3, although I think I may have a copy of Paintshop Pro somewhere.

Matt Wynn
May 14th, 2011, 11:58
ok i use CS5 but the methods will be the same as they always have been, will record as i work.... might end up being a series of videos in which i'll go through from a flattened texture to a paintkit and finally converting and getting in the sim, just so those who want to repaint but don't know how can hit the ground running....

AndyG43
May 14th, 2011, 12:03
Really appreaciate this Matt. :salute:

nigel richards
May 14th, 2011, 12:14
Matt, your hangar sounds like a regular Alladin's cave...roll back the doors buddy!

All of you guys never cease to amaze me!!! Andy gives us all this gen on the Tempest, sounds 'n all, reminds us of the Firebrand...forgot that one! Then he tempts us with a Lincoln. Blackbird686 has just told me of a Napier Sabre soundset right here at SOH and I'll bet my bottom Euro (bally monopoly money), that our buddy Racatron will be here any moment doing his magic with lights and such for the Tempests.

Then we start squawking paint-jobs, and there's Smoothie, brush-in-hand, inspite of urgent repaints of a list the length of your arm!

:isadizzy:

Matt Wynn
May 14th, 2011, 12:32
Then we start squawking paint-jobs, and there's Smoothie, brush-in-hand, inspite of urgent repaints of a list the length of your arm!

:isadizzy:

brush in hand.... nooo bottle of Amstel pal :icon_lol: just recorded the first part of the series, which includes tools in use, navigating photoshop and finishes with drawing paths... but i'm going to record the entire series before i upload so you'll see this tempest evolve as i do :)

nigel richards
May 14th, 2011, 12:41
brush in hand.... nooo bottle of Amstel pal :icon_lol: just recorded the first part of the series, which includes tools in use, navigating photoshop and finishes with drawing paths...

Remember :icon29: FIX?

nigel richards
May 14th, 2011, 12:47
... but i'm going to record the entire series before i upload so you'll see this tempest evolve as i do :)

MMMmm!!! I get it, bit like watchin telly? Do ya get commercial breaks...just to fix a sanny or open a bag of crisps? :wiggle:

Matt Wynn
May 14th, 2011, 12:54
something like that :icon_lol:

nigel richards
May 14th, 2011, 13:27
:wavey:Seriously, Matt, I'm very much looking forward to this and appreciate your efforts!

Matt Wynn
May 14th, 2011, 13:45
no need to thank me, thank the community for keeping me motivated, because without you lot i would have retired years ago :icon_lol: now... i don't think i could retire from painting :icon_lol:

nigel richards
May 14th, 2011, 14:15
no need to thank me, thank the community for keeping me motivated, because without you lot i would have retired years ago :icon_lol: now... i don't think i could retire from painting :icon_lol:

:salute: Yep, I know that feeling all too well! Its the sharing part and friendly community that makes it all worthwhile.
I'm sitting here with one eye permanently on the threads and one eye and both ears on some pretty awesome sounds coming in for the 'F' project! The anticipitation that perhaps they'll make someones favourite aircraft that more enjoyable is, to me thrilling.

Blackbird686
May 14th, 2011, 15:56
Thanks for the gauges, Nigel. Much appreciated.
<== (Runs off to the dispersal to fire up the Sea Fury once again!)

BTW... the Tempest V is an impressive performer. You push the throttle forward and that plane GOES!! In the spot view you can actually see the plane accelerate when you give it the gas...lol!

nigel richards
May 14th, 2011, 22:15

BB686; Hope this helps!

Blackbird686
May 15th, 2011, 04:23

BB686; Hope this helps!

Just noticed the name of the effects controller in the panel config. for the Sea Fury, It's called "TempV". Hmmm, Installation of the Tempest VI seemed to have cured the issue somewhat. Funny tho, if you get that crate going fast enough, it'll outrun it's own exaust flames.:isadizzy:

Thanks for the info, Nigel! :guinness:

Matt Wynn
May 15th, 2011, 14:11
just an update from me First 2 videos are ready for upload once the project is done, and i'll upload when project reaches completion, episode 1 is the standard "Getting the tools and preparing" episode 2 is the "First Forays into photoshop", episode 3 which i'll record tomorrow will focus on the detailing and in-sim/FS-Repaint/ACM previewing and checking, episode 4 is slated to be weathering, and episode 5 i'll be focussing solely on tweaking the propeller spin texture.... these are flexible episode outlines but i'll update you further as this joint-project progresses... hopefully as i say you'll see the Tempest evolve, and also learn how to repaint and make paintkits if you never have before.... :salute:

AndyG43
May 16th, 2011, 02:37
just an update from me First 2 videos are ready for upload once the project is done, and i'll upload when project reaches completion, episode 1 is the standard "Getting the tools and preparing" episode 2 is the "First Forays into photoshop", episode 3 which i'll record tomorrow will focus on the detailing and in-sim/FS-Repaint/ACM previewing and checking, episode 4 is slated to be weathering, and episode 5 i'll be focussing solely on tweaking the propeller spin texture.... these are flexible episode outlines but i'll update you further as this joint-project progresses... hopefully as i say you'll see the Tempest evolve, and also learn how to repaint and make paintkits if you never have before.... :salute:

Looking forward to these Matt. This is a skill I NEED to master, as there are a number of interesting aircraft out there that are crying out for a little tlc; the aforementioned Avro Lincoln is a case in point, I have plenty of schemes to apply to Ted Cook's model, but I'm not prepared to do it until I can get to the point where I can properly apply panel lines, stencilling, weathering etc.

Matt Wynn
May 16th, 2011, 07:25
just an update, Episodes 1-5 complete.... just rendering in Vegas now, adding some polish to them, should be go to start upload later this evening.... :salute:

nigel richards
May 16th, 2011, 08:23
:wavey:Smoothie; I'm very much looking forward to your tutorials; smarten up a few old favourites.

AndyG43; hope you'll make those Lincolns generally available. I for one, would be very grateful. Incidently Andy, I can't remember but did the Lincoln have Merlins or Griffs?:salute:

Matt Wynn
May 16th, 2011, 08:30
Lincoln I had Merlin 85's, V-Piston......

AndyG43
May 16th, 2011, 08:34
:wavey:Smoothie; I'm very much looking forward to your tutorials; smarten up a few old favourites.

AndyG43; hope you'll make those Lincolns generally available. I for one, would be very grateful. Incidently Andy, I can't remember but did the Lincoln have Merlins or Griffs?:salute:

Yes, they will be for general consumption, which is why I want them to be of decent quality. And the Lincoln used the Merlin 85, the same type of 'power egg' installation as the Lancaster VI - although the Lincoln ASR3 used the Griffon, but you'd know that better as the Shackleton! Humbling to think that the RAF were still using a developed version of Roy Chadwick's design until 1990.

nigel richards
May 16th, 2011, 08:44
Smoothie; you are fast on the shot buddy, no sooner do I submit a new post; there's Matt with the gen!
Good man to have next to you when the going gets tough!:salute:

Yes, they will be for general consumption, which is why I want them to be of decent quality. And the Lincoln used the Merlin 85, the same type of 'power egg' installation as the Lancaster VI - although the Lincoln ASR3 used the Griffon, but you'd know that better as the Shackleton! Humbling to think that the RAF were still using a developed version of Roy Chadwick's design until 1990.

Humbling, yes indeed Andy. The Shak was a magnificent ship; thank goodness for the old but servicable fs2004 model. Anyone interested in sounds for these two?

Naaah! Thought not!:monkies:

Blackbird686
May 16th, 2011, 09:22
Nigel, you know better than to ask a question like that, especially when you already know the answer.
So since we're on the subject of heavy British piston engined bombers... I have an AVRO Lancaster (Dambuster) that could use an engine overhaul...lol!

"wink, wink, nudge, nudge, dont'cha know, dont'cha know..." :kilroy:

Blackbird686
May 16th, 2011, 10:16
Some information regarding the latest Sea Fury download/installer... For thos who are having a bit of a problem getting the "exaust effects" to show up on the plane, consider this.

The latest downloads/installers for the Sea Fury Update v2.301 come with the "TEMP_FX!TEMPII_Flash" effects controller in the package instead of the "TEMP_FX!TEMPV_Flash". The effects show up, but not properly. Further digging around in both the 'panel.cfg' and the 'panel_early.cfg' revealed that the package calls for the "TempV" effects controller. Installing the "HB Tempest VI", straightens the Sea Fury's right out, as the "TempV" effects controller is included in that package. If you have downloaded your copy of the Sea Fury Update v2.301 lately, one of the gauge files is missing. The name of that gauge file is "Furygauges". If your plane has NO exaust effects, you will need to install this file in order for the "flames" to show up, along with the TEMP_FX!TEMPV_Flash effects controller. Trust me, it resolved the issue I had with my Sea Furys.

Nigel Richards has posted a link to the "Furygauges" Here: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=37902&d=1305401967

nigel richards
May 16th, 2011, 10:50
Nigel, you know better than to ask a question like that, especially when you already know the answer.
So since we're on the subject of heavy British piston engined bombers... I have an AVRO Lancaster (Dambuster) that could use an engine overhaul...lol!

"wink, wink, nudge, nudge, dont'cha know, dont'cha know..." :kilroy:

Nudge taken Tom, (icon:dougs-dounga, dougs-dounga....:icon) ...but no deadlines, I'm up to my eyeballs in it already...(icon:45 cal. aimed directly at my temple, Smoothie shouting; pull it, pull it!!!:icon)
and before I go, thanks for the valuable exhaust effects HU! :salute:

Blackbird686
May 16th, 2011, 10:59
Nooo Nooo!! don't pull it!
<== (Tells Smoothie: No No No!...lol)

No deadlines, no worries, Nigel. I'm in no hurry. All the best comes with time.

Matt Wynn
May 16th, 2011, 12:27
episode 1 is up, episode 2 is rendering.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IrY1h9ZO2Zg

Edit; Episode 2 is now up too!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pHB2ZyaMOus

Matt Wynn
May 17th, 2011, 05:22
ok episode 3 is now up.... :salute: and rendering number 4

just to let everyone know the weathering here is just quick and simple, exhaust stains mainly, episode 5 has paint chips and dirt....

AndyG43
May 17th, 2011, 05:35
Looks like I got me some YouTube viewing to do tonight!!! :icon_lol:

Matt Wynn
May 17th, 2011, 06:09
just rendering episode 4, will upload once thats done, then i render 5 and upload that..... planned is a video dedicated to just weathering and doing things like ribs on canvas surfaces etc....:icon_lol:

Matt Wynn
May 17th, 2011, 07:16
in the standalone to the videos heres the real project thus far, i've redone the fuselage lines and rivets, re-done the radiator and started work on the upper left wing....

AndyG43
May 17th, 2011, 07:33
in the standalone to the videos heres the real project thus far, i've redone the fuselage lines and rivets, re-done the radiator and started work on the upper left wing....

Looking nice. So it's the Tempest VI that you've made the kit for - will the Tempest II be following, or is that my homework? :icon_lol:

Check your email later this evening Matt, when I get home I'll be able to send you over some useful information!!

Matt Wynn
May 17th, 2011, 07:48
well this is the tempest Nigel Referred me to, the one with the Napier Sabre H-24 Cylinder unit, if theres a good Tempest with the Centaurus i'll jump on that Afterwards..... :jump:

will check my e-mail later this evening..... again, Thanks Buddy, and thanks to the community also for these wonderful projects i jump on...

EDIT... just found the Centaurus powered one... she's next! Nigel any chance of some Napier Sabre sounds? :icon_lol:

delta_lima
May 17th, 2011, 10:33
Hello Nigel,

I don't frequent this section any more since migrating to FSX - but I still felt compelled to say a MASSIVE thanks for your work on the Centaurus.

Scarecely a day goes by that I don't miss the great Sea Fury and Tempest II project that Messrs Barry and a whole host of mod tweaked since then. In that respect, I miss FS9 very much. Thankfully, I still fly CFS2 - so my plan on my return to my FS pc in a day or so is to try these lovely sounds in the Fox Four Sea Fury and Barry/Morton/et al Tempest II I have installed there - should really spruce things up nicely.

Anyway - thrilled that there is some attention to Tempests and Sea Furies - may not be able to enjoy much of this work in FSX - but I'm still grateful that these great old birds are being featured in any way or sim possible.

Thanks Nigel - and the other mods - who are giving these models new life.

dl

Matt Wynn
May 17th, 2011, 10:48
ack..... episode 4 rejected due to length... that does it.... uploading the entire lot to my photobucket :icon_lol: sorry about that Andy, will get you a link to my photobucket as and when they've uploaded :salute:

AndyG43
May 17th, 2011, 11:11
Thanks Matt. Email sent btw.

Matt Wynn
May 17th, 2011, 11:24
just got it, thanks buddy, gonna keep working away tonight if i have to as usual i'll be pulling an all nighter.... just to get some work done and some headway made.... :salute:

Matt Wynn
May 17th, 2011, 14:48
SERIES 1 - Making a Basic Paintkit for FS2004 (http://s184.photobucket.com/albums/x270/mattwynn/SmoothFLY%20Productions/Series%201%20Making%20a%20Paintkit/)

there you all go.... 5 episodes to views if you want to learn or just see.... :salute:

AndyG43
May 17th, 2011, 23:29
Thanks Matt, that looks really comprehensive, a lot of work - really appreciate this. :salute:

Matt Wynn
May 18th, 2011, 06:28
erm it's official.... i think i'm over doing things on this Tempest.... this is just the upper left wing rivets and lines, rivets look odd now but just wait till i work my magic...... still a lot more to add up there.... :icon_eek:

Blackbird686
May 18th, 2011, 07:18
Gee Smoothie... those rivets look just fine to me.... but what do I know? I know nothing about counting rivets. I'd hate to see you give up on the Tempest, but some of the earlier models out there can be a real chore to detail up.

Looking eagerly forward to the "final cut".

Cheers -- BB686:USA-flag:

Sunny9850
May 18th, 2011, 14:48
Ahem .... that's supposed to be 46 in the 3rd stringer inboard from the tip and not 47 like you have it Smoothie :running::running::running:

Ok Ok ...just kidding of course. Looks great already. I got carried away once with rivets while doing a repaint of the G21. By the time I finally had it all to my liking I could not stand looking at the plane anymore. At least for a while.

So before you get to that point....take a break since this is going to be another must have.
:ernae:
Stefan

Matt Wynn
May 18th, 2011, 16:10
only really tailplane to go now, spent more or less the last 2 days solid just comparing various images and 3-Views to the textures.... certainly had it's "Why did i bother?!" moments :icon_lol:

Matt Wynn
May 19th, 2011, 16:23
what a difference a day makes.... today i've done the camo, got some markings on from a MkV which is visually the same as the MkVI that Paul and David modelled... re-did the tyre textures, added weathering to the wings (majority) and gave it a new prop disc...... all i've really got to add is a bit more weathering (Including making the Invasion Stripes hand painted, like they were!) and some shell casing ejector chutes... so after a day... here she is...

EJ783 / JJ-N was flown by 274sqn while based at Volkel in October '44

AndyG43
May 19th, 2011, 23:28
:applause::applause::applause::applause::applause: :applause::applause::applause::applause:

Matt Wynn
May 20th, 2011, 10:05
ok so..... who wants it dirty? (still weathering to do, mostly on markings but main bulk of it is done)

racartron
May 20th, 2011, 12:10
ok so..... who wants it dirty? (still weathering to do, mostly on markings but main bulk of it is done)

Me, me, me :wiggle:

Matt Wynn
May 20th, 2011, 19:29
racartron, hows this for dirty? also of note in this image are the hand painted invasion stripes. still a load to do but hopefully this one should be done by this evening as it's now 0430 and i'm off to bed :icon_lol:

AndyG43
May 21st, 2011, 00:45
Looking really nice Matt.

My job for this weekend (apart from my job, of course) is to start watching your tutorial and learn how to make my own paintkits - so the odd screaming noise to be heard emanating from London later will not be connected with the Rapture, but will be me expressing frustration at my own stupidity. :icon_lol:

racartron
May 21st, 2011, 03:08
racartron, hows this for dirty? also of note in this image are the hand painted invasion stripes. still a load to do but hopefully this one should be done by this evening as it's now 0430 and i'm off to bed :icon_lol:

That's dirty enough to make any respectable washing/cleanup crew cringe:ernae: Oh yeah, that's right. I laid off my crew as they just sat around all day playing Gin Rummy. Guess I fly dirty. That's better than talking dirty -- right?:cowboy:

Matt Wynn
May 21st, 2011, 03:31
shoot rac, way i figure it can't go wrong with a bit of both :icon_lol:

Andy, good luck.... i'll be about all day so if you get stuck just PM me :salute:

now.... back to work on Tempest! :jump:

Matt Wynn
May 21st, 2011, 11:44
now uploading EJ783 the first of many i have planned.... :salute:

EDIT: and heres some piccies! download also includes my modified Prop-Blur for this beastie... MUCH Better than whats provided :salute:

stuartcox
May 21st, 2011, 14:05
What else could one expect other than another great piece of art!
Great work Matt!
Maybe we could give Nigel a nudge to do a Napier Sabre sound pack?
In the meantime I will try to create one myself.

Thanks again,
regards, Stuart

Matt Wynn
May 21st, 2011, 15:00
thanks Stuart, just moving onto a very famous Mark V.... but again will go on this Mk.VI model... can we say Pierre Clostermann? the most successful French Ace of WW2? :icon_lol: then i move onto another Ace... Roland 'Bee' Beamont

"In 1944 Beamont (now Acting Wing Commander) was charged to form the first Tempest Wing, No 150, in time for the D-Day. Two days after D-Day Beamont's Wing encountered Bf109s over the beaches and shot down three of them without loss.

150 Wing were also downing V1s over Kent and by August the unit had accounted 638, of which 32 had fallen to Beamont himself. On October 2 he shot down his ninth and final enemy aircraft, a Focke Wulf Fw190 near Nijmegen.

On October 12 1944 he was shot down by Flak 8 miles Southeast of Bocholt whilst attacking a heavily defended troop train (flying Tempest JF-L EJ710). He was captured and imprisoned at Stalag III at Luckenwald near Potsdam. He spent the rest of the war as a prisoner of war (POW) and was eventually released by the Russians in September 1945 who liberated the campin May 1945. Back in the Great Britian he served at the Central Flying Establishment at Tangmere, and then, as a Wing Commander Flying No 2 Wing at Chilbolton flying Tempests. In November he commanded the Air Fighting Development Unit at West Raynham, and in January 1946 he left the RAF.
In 1947 Beamont joined the English Electric Company as Chief Test Pilot. He managed all the prototype tests in the Canberra and the P1/Lightning test programmes, during which he became the first pilot to fly a British aircraft at twice the speed of sound. He was closely associated with, and flew, the ill-fated TSR2 until its political end."

Blackbird686
May 21st, 2011, 17:12
Very Nice :applause::applause::applause:, as always. Thanks for giving new life to the old girl, Smoothie. Any plans for the Tempest II?

Matt Wynn
May 21st, 2011, 18:13
yup she's on my makeover list as soon as i get the Jaguar Project with Obio wrapped up, or if that takes longer than expected i'll slot her in next :salute:

Matt Wynn
May 22nd, 2011, 13:09
ok just uploading scheme #2... again a Mk.V paint on this Mk.VI but it works... this time as promised... NV724.... Flt Lt. Pierre Clostermanns mount... here is an edited screen (forgive the lack of Anti-Alias as PC was being tetchy) of Pierre in formation with my earlier released 274sqn aircraft...

AndyG43
May 23rd, 2011, 06:27
Again, another good one Matt, looking forward to seeing what's next.

Needless to say my weekend didn't go to plan, so no progress made on the Lincolm & Lancaster paintkits, but no rush I guess.

Blackbird686
May 23rd, 2011, 07:11
Another beauty... :applause::applause::applause: Thanks for working your magic, Smoothie.:guinness:

Matt Wynn
May 23rd, 2011, 07:14
next up is an oddball..... Zirkus Rosarius :salute: will be doing 2 versions, with and without the fin Hakenkreuze, and i gotta admit i do like the way my prop disc turned out.... the wing roundels are just a placeholder in this pic, used the fuselage Balkenkreuze on them and not the wing Balkenkreuze

Matt Wynn
May 23rd, 2011, 09:38
and here she is plus the Hakenkreuz on the fin.... packaging download now :salute: comes with and without Hakenkreuz

Blackbird686
May 23rd, 2011, 13:55
You have been busy, Smoothie... another excellent paint for the Tempest VI. I have to admit tho, that German scheme looks kinda strange on her. I know the Germans captured alot of Allied aircraft during WWII, including a P-47 Thunderbolt, that had a scheme similar to the one on the captured Tempest VI.

Nice work, mate...:guinness: BTW where the heck is Nigel hiding out? It's his turn to buy the Ouzo...

Wing_Z
May 23rd, 2011, 18:36
I quickly made this so I don't have to load up the sim every time the neighbours ask for a bit of Aero Sound...

eRGTXJduyTo

Turn up the sound...no, LOUDER

Matt Wynn
May 25th, 2011, 17:11
ok guys just an update.... currently 0210 here in the UK (0410 Hellenic Time) and i'm about to start the Fuselage PSD's for the Tempest II, on an odd note... anyone got some nose on shots of a Bristol Centaurus? yes i know it's an odd ask but i really want to spruce this girl up.... :icon_lol:

AndyG43
May 25th, 2011, 23:48
ok guys just an update.... currently 0210 here in the UK (0410 Hellenic Time) and i'm about to start the Fuselage PSD's for the Tempest II, on an odd note... anyone got some nose on shots of a Bristol Centaurus? yes i know it's an odd ask but i really want to spruce this girl up.... :icon_lol:

Anything here (http://www.hawkertempest.se/index.htm) any good Matt?

Matt Wynn
May 26th, 2011, 00:11
yeah Andy that sites been in my bookmarks a looooong time now, for years i've had a fascination with what i call the "windy aircraft" (Hurricane, Tempest, Typhoon....) as well as Hawker in general... doesn't rival my mossie fascination but still it's there...

AndyG43
May 26th, 2011, 00:17
yeah Andy that sites been in my bookmarks a looooong time now, for years i've had a fascination with what i call the "windy aircraft" (Hurricane, Tempest, Typhoon....) as well as Hawker in general... doesn't rival my mossie fascination but still it's there...

Know what you mean, the Typhoon & Tempest (especially the Tempest II) have also held a fascination for me since my days of hacking plastic. I'm hoping that the project to get G-TEMT/MW763 back into the air comes to fruition, would be very much a dream come true.

Ah, don't get me started on the Mossie; I upset somebody over in FSX by banging on about the Balsa Bomber (well, with Henry temporarily out of action, somebody had to do it) - truly the original MRCA, I don't think any other aircraft has ever been as versatile.

Matt Wynn
May 26th, 2011, 00:24
yeah the wooden wonder, unfortunately i was at Barton when our British based one crashed in '96, was only a youngster but i knew that plane was something special, saw her at my first airshow aged 4 and quite frankly nothing has stuck me as impressively as that Ecuadorian Balsa amalgamation of parts mated to RR Merlins and roaring through the skies... just hope the UK gets a mossie from somewhere! we need one! :icon_lol:

back on topic, yeah the Tempest II really is a kind of oddball, oddly if i recall she has less power than her Napier Sabre powered bretheren but is also the most aerodynamically clean radial engined aircraft there is... sounds like a contradiction in terms when pairing radial to aerodynamic... but she is... that freaking huge spinner helps :icon_lol:

AndyG43
May 26th, 2011, 00:39
yeah the wooden wonder, unfortunately i was at Barton when our British based one crashed in '96, was only a youngster but i knew that plane was something special, saw her at my first airshow aged 4 and quite frankly nothing has stuck me as impressively as that Ecuadorian Balsa amalgamation of parts mated to RR Merlins and roaring through the skies... just hope the UK gets a mossie from somewhere! we need one! :icon_lol:

back on topic, yeah the Tempest II really is a kind of oddball, oddly if i recall she has less power than her Napier Sabre powered bretheren but is also the most aerodynamically clean radial engined aircraft there is... sounds like a contradiction in terms when pairing radial to aerodynamic... but she is... that freaking huge spinner helps :icon_lol:

Beautiful attention to detail from the guys at Hawker; mind you, aerodynamically, anything had to be better than that freaking great radiator under the nose!! The Tempest I was a pretty beast, they definitely ruined the lines by moving the radiators back from the wings to the nose.

A million years ago, when I still entertained notions of a career in engineering (and before I screwed up my A-Levels so comprehensively) I had an interview for a place at the (then) Kingston Polytechnic - the Engineering department was sited in the old Hawker factory, where much of the work on the 'windies' was done, it was as much a museum as it was a place of learning.

Blackbird686
May 26th, 2011, 02:48
This may help:

http://www.hawkertempest.se/BristolCentaurus.htm

nigel richards
June 1st, 2011, 10:44
:wavey: As you guys have probably guessed, I've been offline for a couple of weeks...boy have you gents been busy!

Where do I start???

A MASSIVE thanks to Smoothie for the outstanding eye-openning video tour on repaints!
Ouzo by the bucket for all!
Stuart; the Napier Sabre is on my list!

Wing-Z; thats the stuff dreams are made of!

And once again, many, many thanks to all who have generously expressed so much kind encouragement.
The only way I can possibly repay you all is more soundsets...IFF anyone is interested!
I have one on the boil at the moment...more info shortly...:salute:

AndyG43
June 1st, 2011, 11:43
...IFF anyone is interested!...

Funniest thing I've heard in ages ....of course we're interested, stop toying with us!!! :jump::jump::jump:

nigel richards
June 1st, 2011, 11:52
Funniest thing I've heard in ages ....of course we're interested, stop toying with us!!! :jump::jump::jump:

:wiggle:...wouldn't dream of it Andy! Nearly finished the X soundset I've been slaving away on, then I'll be on to Sabres and Lancs. The only thing I can tell you about X at present, is that its a diversion from my usual soundsets...kind of comes in with a bang!!!
...and Smoothie's lips are sealed so don't hound him too hard.
hey...where is Smoothie?

AndyG43
June 1st, 2011, 12:17
Probably lying down in a darkened room after all the work he put in making those videos. :salute:

Matt Wynn
June 1st, 2011, 12:21
ooh i'm about, just moved onto a change of scenery... friend wanted a POSKY 752 fullside paintkit and made a start on that as well as some scenery i've been working on... rest assured Tempest II is not forgotten just on the back burners for a short while....

stuartcox
June 1st, 2011, 13:09
Good to see you back Nigel!
I'm really looking forward to the 'Bang' of your soundsets!
I made one for the Sabre, just couldn't publish it, because I nicked somebody elses .cfg file. Still, sounds very impressive, the best I could get from the rare videos.
I also can't wait for an improvement on any Lancaster sound, as there is already a very authentic one out there!
Let us see how you play your magic...
Cheers,
Stuart

nigel richards
June 1st, 2011, 13:24
I also can't wait for an improvement on any Lancaster sound, as there is already a very authentic one out there!

:salute: Thanks Stuart, I'd be interested to hear which Lanc sound you refer to as I may have missed a version.

stuartcox
June 1st, 2011, 14:13
:salute: Thanks Stuart, I'd be interested to hear which Lanc sound you refer to as I may have missed a version.

Nigel, I doubt very much that you would have missed it, but the one I use is the Avro Lancaster Sound by Des Braban, and Doug Smith. It's been around for years!
I have the BBMF Lancaster circling over my house several times a year, both for Shoreham and Eastbourne airshow, and especially in spot-view it sounds very unmistakeable.
You have put yourself up for a great challenge, and I'm really looking forward to an even more convincing result...:-)
Cheers,
Stuart

nigel richards
June 1st, 2011, 14:23
Nigel, I doubt very much that you would have missed it, but the one I use is the Avro Lancaster Sound by Des Braban, and Doug Smith.
I have the BBMF Lancaster circling over my house several times a year, both for Shoreham and Eastbourne airshow, and especially in spot-view it sounds very unmistakeable.
You have put yourself up for a great challenge, and I'm really looking forward to an even more convincing result...:-)
Cheers,
Stuart

:salute: Yep, good sounds Stuart. They're my yardstick; cockpit sounds are indeed very good - few alterations there.
External sounds; I'm cooking a whole new set including throttle-back 'popping' with the possible use of a gauge, if I can get used to using xml language. WIP, but shouldn't be too long now.

Incidently, does anyone know if Des Braban and Doug Smith are still involved in fs ?

stuartcox
June 1st, 2011, 14:30
Sounds great! Can't wait!

Fnerg
June 2nd, 2011, 09:53
Yes I am, you'll be hearing from me very soon. :jump:
Thank you for mentioning the Lancaster sounds. Des allowed me to use his pack as a base and I added sounds I recorded from our Mynarski Memorial Lanc. With Des' approval, we put out a pretty convincing sound pack. Our pleasure.
Not sure what Des is up to these days, it's been a long time since I heard from him.

Cheers

Doug Smith

nigel richards
June 4th, 2011, 01:02
Yes I am, you'll be hearing from me very soon. :jump:
Thank you for mentioning the Lancaster sounds. Des allowed me to use his pack as a base and I added sounds I recorded from our Mynarski Memorial Lanc. With Des' approval, we put out a pretty convincing sound pack. Our pleasure.
Not sure what Des is up to these days, it's been a long time since I heard from him.

Cheers

Doug Smith

Doug it's great that you guys are actively around. And that Lanc sounset has indeed served us admirably over the years to say the least - many thanks to both of you!

As already mentioned here, I'm having at dabble with the Lancaster, but consider some of yours and Des sounds irreplaceable. How about teaming our efforts on an update?

Cheers, Nigel

Blackbird686
June 10th, 2011, 08:04
BUMP...:bump: It's been pretty quiet around the dispersal lately.... Thought I'd better bump this just so it doesn't get lost in the shuffle.

Matt Wynn
June 10th, 2011, 11:15
gone quiet from me as i've been sorting my Demo for the 2011/2012 FS-Display Season, well that and having to wait on some resources from a buddy...... :salute:

nigel richards
June 11th, 2011, 02:57
:salute: Much to the dismay of my 'pet' bull (who did his very best to put me out permanently - I got layed up for a week with stitches in my left leg, but I'm back in the jump seat, HA Ha!) I'm nearing completion now on the 'X' project.

Oh what the heck, I've never been good at keeping a secret - Its an all authentic soundset for the F-4E Phantom with special reheat sound that could chew up a few dodgy speakers, so be warned!

The only reason for keeping it X was that nobody would probably be interested in it anyway. Especially as it's my first 'jet'. But if anyone is, then all exterior sounds are complete and I'm now onto the 'office' sounds...

...then its Lancs, Tempests and the sky really is the limit! :wiggle:

Blackbird686
June 11th, 2011, 03:54
Ah... see what a little "bumping" can do to get an old thread moving again...lol! Good hearing from you guys.

Nigel... I have the Alpha F-4 "Double Ugly" packs as well as the IRIS FGR Variants.... I couldn't come up with any reason whatsoever as to why someone wouldn't be interested in your latest "X" files. Although the Rolls Royce "Spey" engines are a bit of a different beast than those found in the "E" Phantom version.

AndyG43
June 11th, 2011, 04:17
......Although the Rolls Royce "Spey" engines are a bit of a different beast than those found in the "E" Phantom version.....

Nigel, another one for the list!! :icon_lol:

Actually Blackbird, if you are looking for a Spey soundset for the Buccaneer, David Maltby's pack for his BAC 1-11 is pretty damn good - obviously no reheat, so not applicable to the Phantom.

nigel richards
June 13th, 2011, 10:01
:wavey:Hi fellas, I'm glad there's some interest in F-4 sounds. The soundset I'm developing is built around the Virtavia F-4 Phantom II Pack 3. It was inspired by the Greek version; RF-4E Greek Air Force RIAT 2005, but sounds good on all Virtavia Phantoms and has tested out successfully on the model by Ito Kazanori too. Its not Spey, but does however give bite to RAF versions. The interior sounds are holding me up slightly, but I have done my utmost to retain all of the exterior audio quircks familiar with the real aircraft.

ALL sounds are 100 percent F-4.

Blackbird686
June 13th, 2011, 17:01
Sounds really good, Nigel. :ernae: Can't wait to have a go with them. :icon30:

stuartcox
June 18th, 2011, 10:29
A Tempest Napier Sabre sound was mentioned earlier in this thread...
Nigel was obviously busy with the fantastic F-4 package, and this one is quite a hard nut to crack! Hardly any usable video footage! Everything has either commentary or a Doppler effect that cannot be looped.
The closest I could create:

http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=2099462251312&amp;saved

Can't wait for Nigel's approach, he's bound to come up with some surprise...!

Regards, Stuart.

nigel richards
June 18th, 2011, 11:30
A Tempest Napier Sabre sound was mentioned earlier in this thread...
Nigel was obviously busy with the fantastic F-4 package, and this one is quite a hard nut to crack! Hardly any usable video footage! Everything has either commentary or a Doppler effect that cannot be looped.
Can't wait for Nigel's approach, he's bound to come up with some surprise...!
Regards, Stuart.

:salute: Stuart, beautiful, crisp display if I may say so - Particularly impressive approach/landing sequence, she came in on rails!

And that, if I'm not mistaken, must be Shoreham Airport!

Yep, the Sabre's a hard nut but it is WIP as is the Lanc! We'll get there mate but I'm not mentioning any deadlines. As a Graphic Designer/Illustrator for over 30 years, I've had my fill of them!

stuartcox
June 18th, 2011, 22:29
:salute: Stuart, beautiful, crisp display if I may say so - Particularly impressive approach/landing sequence, she came in on rails!
And that, if I'm not mistaken, must be Shoreham Airport!

Thanks!
Yes, Shoreham!
Obviously my default airport. It has the most beautiful Art-Deco terminal building, is Britain's oldest commercial airport, and hosts one of the best annual airshows around. Unfortunately neglected in FS9!
...not to forget the beer garden!

nigel richards
June 19th, 2011, 03:46
Shoreham...Unfortunately neglected in FS9!
...not to forget the beer garden!

...surely there must be someone around here with the talent to do justice to that pretty little Sussex haven!
The B-25 Psychodellic Monster, (still not sure on the spelling there Stuart...the 'Psycho' part derives from Greek), used for filming aerial seqences for the film 'Battle of Britain' was parked there for years during the '70's.

It's also a stone's throw from the beautiful Sussex Downs, home to the Long Man of Wilmington (Stuart will give you the gen on him)

These features would make for a mega-beautful scenery project...what?..:jawdrop:...don't look at me, I've got a headfull of Merlins and Napier bl__dy Sabres right now!

Gentlemen?...(icon:embarresed cough, sometimes used by another SOH member:icon)

Matt Wynn
June 19th, 2011, 05:35
*Coughs* i have no idea what you mean..... but Shoreham would be nice, as would other UK landmarks like white horse at Westbury or Alton Barnes or even the one at Uffington, remember coming back from the 'stan once and the loadie lowered the ramp just so we could see it and know we were home :salute:

back on track (yes another of my sayings) but the Napier Sabre i'm looking forwards too also... already drooling in anticipation :icon_lol:

nigel richards
June 19th, 2011, 06:35
*Coughs* i have no idea what you mean..... but Shoreham would be nice, as would other UK landmarks like white horse at Westbury or Alton Barnes or even the one at Uffington, remember coming back from the 'stan once and the loadie lowered the ramp just so we could see it and know we were home :salute:

back on track (yes another of my sayings) but the Napier Sabre i'm looking forwards too also... already drooling in anticipation :icon_lol:

(icon:Coughs and at the same time utters; bullsh_t:icon)

You've had your drool, you cheeky little bugger!...now get back to that 'other' thread where the rest of us poor sods are drooling in anticipation...:icon_lol:

Matt Wynn
June 19th, 2011, 06:37
yessir' :salute: *mumbling* bl__dy ruperts..... :icon_lol:

stuartcox
June 19th, 2011, 11:36
No more comments from me! Promised...! :icon_lol:

nigel richards
June 19th, 2011, 11:48
No more comments from me! Promised...! :icon_lol:

...ever thought of trying your hand at scenery Stuart? (icon: mischeivous thoughts on putting the cat among the pigeons:icon)

Blackbird686
June 19th, 2011, 14:29
You've had your drool, you cheeky little bugger!...now get back to that 'other' thread where the rest of us poor sods are drooling in anticipation...:icon_lol:

"Cheeky little bugger"... lol! Haven't heard that for a while... good for a laff! :icon_lol:

Nigel, you and Smoothie are quite the duo. I've been spending so much time in the "rhino" as of late that I decided to have a change of pace and take my Sea Fury for a hop... I walked to the hangar I had it parked in and when I got there, the left main gear tire was flatter than a pancake! :isadizzy: Buggar!

stuartcox
June 19th, 2011, 16:40
...ever thought of trying your hand at scenery Stuart?

Now I'm getting into all this FS stuff, why not! On a rainy Sunday afternoon maybe...
Let me tank my Zippo up first, and then...urgh, ...I will find something else to do!
Scenery is just not my cup of tea! Sorry Nigel!

nigel richards
June 19th, 2011, 21:15
Now I'm getting into all this FS stuff, why not! On a rainy Sunday afternoon maybe...
Let me tank my Zippo up first, and then...urgh, ...I will find something else to do!
Scenery is just not my cup of tea! Sorry Nigel!

Stuart; maybe we could all chip in, make it a team effort for autumn and put Shoreham on the fs 2004 map! There's plenty of talent round here; (icon: that embarresed cough again:icon) Hooky (when he comes out of hibernation), Andy, Jamie, racartron, Smoothie...the list goes on.

I'd be only too pleased to take care of the Afcad, traffic, and some ground stuff to liven the place up. Maybe the Art Deco terminal building to boot. Make a nice little break from the ringing in my ears. :icon_lol:
Seeing as you're our man in Shoreham, we'll be relying heavily on your help with reference material.

AndyG43
June 19th, 2011, 23:58
I knew I had a decent rendition of Shoreham somewhere in my archive!! Obviously a freeware offering would be lovely (and could then be slotted in to my Golden Wings install), but Just Flight have a nice version in their Flying Club product.

stuartcox
June 20th, 2011, 05:42
Just Flight have a nice version in their Flying Club product.

That's true Andy, I couldn't afford it at the time, and now it's outdated!
A great replica of the distinctive terminal though!
Anyway, let's get back to sounds...
What's happening?

Blackbird686
June 22nd, 2011, 08:12
Yep... it's gone quiet here again. I think Smoothie is off somewhere buzzing Nigel's humble Greek abode in a Hellenic F-4 "Rhino". Seems fitting after I managed to blow out all the windows in my dispersal with the same jet after lighting up those "cans" in a fly-by. Made everybody spill their coffee too...
All that aside.... just thought I'd :bump: this once again. Now off in my trusty ol' Tempest for a hop around the air strip.

Matt Wynn
June 22nd, 2011, 09:21
Yep... it's gone quiet here again. I think Smoothie is off somewhere buzzing Nigel's humble Greek abode in a Hellenic F-4 "Rhino".

quite the opposite 'Bravo-Bravo', having to look for property and a job at present, left the forces, moved back in with my parents and got told i needed to be out by end of August... so property and Job kinda have my full attention... but i will finish that tempest II paintkit and a few schemes then make both Kits available before then... (I Hope anyways)

take care all' :salute:

Blackbird686
June 22nd, 2011, 13:29
... so property and Job kinda have my full attention... :salute:

I hear ya'... and I can definately relate to the "job" thing.

nigel richards
June 25th, 2011, 02:37
"Cheeky little bugger"... lol! Haven't heard that for a while... good for a laff! :icon_lol:

Nigel, you and Smoothie are quite the duo. I've been spending so much time in the "rhino" as of late that I decided to have a change of pace and take my Sea Fury for a hop... I walked to the hangar I had it parked in and when I got there, the left main gear tire was flatter than a pancake! :isadizzy: Buggar!

Ever heard the Genesis album...and then there were three?...cheers mate! :icon_lol:

Blackbird686
June 25th, 2011, 06:32
Ever heard the Genesis album...and then there were three?...cheers mate! :icon_lol:

ABSOLUTELY!! and don't forget "Selling England by the Pound". Good stuff mate!

Matt Wynn
June 25th, 2011, 07:01
"Selling England by the Pound". Good stuff mate!

kinda apt at the moment that title.... feels like thats exactly whats going on here in the UK at present... but i'll steer clear of politics :icon_lol:

just to let y'all know the Tempest II is on the books to be re-started once this 'Fantasma' and 'Sparti' are done (Pronounced as spelt there and you have the Greek words for Phantom and Spartan ;) )