PDA

View Full Version : Boeing's Drone Jet maidens...

yank51
May 4th, 2011, 18:10
Boeing's new drone jet made a maiden flight on April 27th. a Full sized drone per the article:

http://www.cnn.com/2011/TECH/innovation/05/04/boeing.phantomray.unmanned.stealth/index.html?hpt=T2

Toastmaker
May 5th, 2011, 11:51
Um. . . technically, it's not a "drone". A drone is a target vehicle, towed or self-powered. The only reason I mention this is because we had an epic conflict about this over at the Quarter Moon Saloon and the person objecting to the label "drone" for unmanned aerial vehicles was technically correct.

Just providing this bit of arcane data as a free, public service to our readers. . . totally pro bono and you don't even have to thank me !

:running:

Lateral-G
May 5th, 2011, 12:09
I believe the distinction is a "drone" flies a pre-programmed course with no method of course correction during the flight. Whereas a UAV/UAS is piloted remotely and has the ability to make changes in course, speed, altitude, etc. via either an operator or AI.

Wing_Z
May 5th, 2011, 12:21
...unmanned aerial vehicles was technically correct...
More "technically correct" will probably be:
"unpersonned aerial vehicles" or whatever PC tag someone can come up with:
"Unoccupied"? "Vacant"?

You don't believe me? Watch this space...

*This service brought to you as a news item, and totally free of charge*

SpitXIV
May 5th, 2011, 13:16
It looks just like Boeings' "Bird Of Prey" .

http://www.google.com/search?q=Boeings%27+%22Bird+Of+Prey%22&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a

yank51
May 6th, 2011, 11:51
Well, I thought it kind of "funny" that it was labled a drone, but I'm just the messenger...lol:mixedsmi:

stansdds
May 6th, 2011, 13:32
Here is a drone.

What?

:icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol: :icon_lol:

hey_moe
May 6th, 2011, 13:54
Have ya been drug tested today:wavey:
Here is a drone.

What?

:icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol: :icon_lol:

stansdds