PDA

View Full Version : Politics in the Outhouse

richcreator
May 3rd, 2011, 12:14
If politics are not allowed in the Outhouse, why is a political diatribe allowed to remain to be read because I totally disagree with the politics of the diatribe and cannot respond.
Can't you delete the whole shebang?

Kiwikat
May 3rd, 2011, 12:21
If politics are not allowed in the Outhouse, why is a political diatribe allowed to remain to be read because I totally disagree with the politics of the diatribe and cannot respond.
Can't you delete the whole shebang?

+1

I would rather the threads disappear than be locked. At the very least you could remove the offending posts and then lock it.

Roadburner440
May 3rd, 2011, 12:35
I can concur with this... I think it is better to send these type of threads to the abyss than to leave them hang around. Having locked threads serves no purpose other than to build tension between members, and cause people to want to create their own thread to answer the locked one.

ThinkingManNeil
May 3rd, 2011, 13:00
I was the author of the post that I think is being referred to here. It was never my intention to offend anyone and I willingly offer my apologies to anyone if I did. I was unaware of the forum's policy on political postings, and I wrote a note to the forum's moderator, Jagdflieger, apologizing for it. I did it merely as a response to the thread that began the post with a desire to inform people of some issues that may not have been commonly known. I will now remove the post myself if I'm able.

N.

Addendum. It appears I cannot remove the item. The forum moderator is free to delete it if he so wishes.

Willy
May 3rd, 2011, 13:11
It has been a long standing policy about no politics here and still every now and then we get members who have been here quite a while putting their political two cents out there.

As for deleting the thread, it'll be off page one in a day or two. In the meantime, it serves as a warning to others.

gigabyte
May 3rd, 2011, 14:40
I do appoligize for that thread, :redf: it was a simple attempt to make light of the number of elections that happen, I really should have known better than to even include a reference to the word polxxxxs - lesson learned and it will not happen again.

I also moved the thread to the dungeon, because I totally agree there is no sense leaving it up.

Lets forget about it and head to the Cantina, pick your fav :icon29::guinness: drinks are on me tonight to make up for the blunker...

ThinkingManNeil
May 3rd, 2011, 15:22
Lets forget about it and head to the Cantina, pick your fav :icon29::guinness: drinks are on me tonight to make up for the blunker...

A shot of Cuervo Gold and lime, thanks.

Cheers,

N.

andersel
May 3rd, 2011, 18:26
While I did not see the above mentioned post and am not privy to the specifics of the situation, I feel it should be mentioned that there is, indeed, a place for political speech in the Outhouse. I am speaking of the "Quarter Moon Saloon". One of it's purposes is to provide a platform for just such speech. I'm going to go way out on a limb here and suggest that rather than "locking out" such posts or going so far as deleting them all together, perhaps a better solution in this and other, similar, cases would be for the forum's administrators to move an offending post to a more accepable location. Just a (rather long) thought. LA

Railrunner130
May 3rd, 2011, 19:02
I'm glad whatever the issue was, that everyone agrees to the resolution.

:ernae:

Willy
May 3rd, 2011, 20:11
Andersel, the Quarter Moon Saloon is it's own totally separate website with it's own staff and we can't move anything from here to there.

andersel
May 3rd, 2011, 22:05
Andersel, the Quarter Moon Saloon is it's own totally separate website with it's own staff and we can't move anything from here to there.

Well damn. You learn something new every day, don't you. From my humble point of view, though, if it is simply listed as another sub-forum (along with Newshawks; Canelo's Cantina; etc.) how is one to tell the difference? I certainly don't want to get all het up about politics and religion while I'm on my favorite FS site. Perhaps a little more clarification. Or maybe a flashing orange icon. Or something. Anyway, thanks for the HU Willy. LA

stiz
May 3rd, 2011, 23:12
i actually like being able to read the threads, i love a good handbag fight :engel016:

AndyG43
May 4th, 2011, 00:38
i actually like being able to read the threads, i love a good handbag fight :engel016:

Makes you appreciate the blandness of our politicians stiz!! :kilroy:

Cazzie
May 4th, 2011, 02:51
It's not that political discussion is not allowed here, it's just that you have to go to another saloon, Oso's Outhouse. It is hard for any topic that is brought up that involves the government to not evolve into a political broo-ha-ha, ergo it's nix the thread.

So for those that want to really discuss politics, go to Oso's and be ready to put your head on the block if you do not know of what you are speaking. :icon_lol:

Caz

TeaSea
May 4th, 2011, 03:25
Broo-ha-ha?

Ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha.....

(w/apologies to Firesign Theater)

I'm like Stiz, I like a good scrap....as long as everyone shakes hands at the end. However, there is a time and a place.

Cazzie
May 4th, 2011, 05:19
Firesign Theater, geez I loved those guys.

Here Injun, eat this sugar cube.

WOW, nice paisley horses.

Those guys were off-the-wall before National Lampoon and the Pythons were created.

Caz

AndyG43
May 4th, 2011, 06:20
Those guys were off-the-wall before ....... the Pythons were created.

Caz

They were pretty much contemporaries of Python, although you need to remember that the Python guys had been doing their thing individually and/or with other groups for a few years before they finally got together.

But both Firesign Theater and the Pythons owe pretty much everything to the Goons and, more specifically, Spike Milligan who pretty much redefined comedy in the 1950's. If you haven't heard any of the Goons stuff it's worth checking out. It's a crying shame that the BBC has never repeated Spike's various Q series; they were very much hit and miss, as experimental stuff often is, but when they hit.... boy did they hit!!

Lateral-G
May 4th, 2011, 06:24
It's not that political discussion is not allowed here, it's just that you have to go to another saloon, Oso's Outhouse. It is hard for any topic that is brought up that involves the government to not evolve into a political broo-ha-ha, ergo it's nix the thread.

So for those that want to really discuss politics, go to Oso's and be ready to put your head on the block if you do not know of what you are speaking. :icon_lol:

Caz

Yeah, c'mon over to the QMS....we need some fresh meat over there.....:engel016:

Tako_Kichi
May 4th, 2011, 06:31
It's a crying shame that the BBC has never repeated Spike's
various Q series; they were very much hit and miss, as experimental stuff often is, but when they hit.... boy did they hit!!
I'll second that. I remember watching Spike's Q series as a teenager and as you say when he got it right it was rib cracking funny.

Spike was a very funny guy but troubled for most of his life with bouts of depression. I have all of his war memoirs (plus a few other works of his) and as you read them you can see where a lot of his dark humour came from.

AndyG43
May 4th, 2011, 07:34
I'll second that. I remember watching Spike's Q series as a teenager and as you say when he got it right it was rib cracking funny.

Spike was a very funny guy but troubled for most of his life with bouts of depression. I have all of his war memoirs (plus a few other works of his) and as you read them you can see where a lot of his dark humour came from.

Absolutely, those books should be required reading - actually, they are over here, some of them are now on the National Curriculum.

And you have to admire any man who wanted the epitaph "See, I told you I was ill"!! The boring people in the church he was buried at had issues with this; so they compromised and put the Irish translation "Dúirt mé leat go raibh mé breoite" on instead - somehow you feel he would have approved! :icon_lol:

Snuffy
May 4th, 2011, 08:03
ve2dYMeGb3s

:wavey: