View Full Version : Vietnam Campaign

jon0804
December 6th, 2008, 03:35
What is the status of new vietnam campaign. No up dates in a while.:applause:

Dirtman
December 6th, 2008, 04:42
What is the status of new vietnam campaign. No up dates in a while.:applause:

Yo jon0804;

Not allot to report right now. Work is progressing slowly at this time due to the usual (and unusual) problems some team members have encountered in our daily lives.

Simonu has done a magnificent job constructing the landclass textures & mesh. :medals: :medals: :medals:
The difference is truly AMAZING!!!

There are also some components that are not yet ready due to technical problems and/or glitches. These will be resolved shortly; then we can begin "full-up" testing of V2.0.

Framerates are still a huge issue and problem. I would say at this time you will need at least a 256MB vid card to run the sim. But a 512+MB card would be preferable.

The real culprit here are the planes. FR's drop drastically when there are several in the screen view. The cause of this is that none are built in Multi LOD. (none are availible at this time) Then with the addition of multiple ground targets the vid card gets maxed out & FR's drop to the "slideshow" level when the "Image Quality" slider is maxed. This only occurs in about 4 of the missions. (of 22) for Rolling Thunder.

The best solution would be to build all new planes in multi LOD. But at this time; building 28 new planes is just not feasible. If enough people get hooked on this theater perhaps some of you "airplane guru's" will feel the need to make some?

In the mean time, think of it this way: When CFS2 was first released there were very few computers that had the capability to run it at full image quality. It took a couple of years before the newer equipment was availible. Therefore - it was built for the future. Vietnam-4-CFS2 is in about the same situation.

Thanks for your interest (and patients) in our project. I will try to post some new screenshots shortly.

Skywolf
December 6th, 2008, 06:39
looking good, now back to work or play!

simonu
December 6th, 2008, 07:01
so much to do so much to do
sorry fellas,
this project could be a full time job for six people, then we could lick it in may be two or three months, right now it could take years.
it depends on what your after.
There have been a lot of questions about things like, how do the guided missiles work?
What about radar tracking and target locking?
There is no short answer, we can "simulate" some aspects of modern air warfare with CFS2, given time to develop a deeper understanding of CFS2 inner workings it may be possible to do a lot more, could be a wild goose chase.
I have had the opportunity to try some other Jet Combat Simulators on the market. Couldnt really find fault with any of them. They are all slightly different and have quirks.
"Lock On" has a lot of keyboard short cuts to learn, (lots of systems to operate), the area of ops is limited to the Crimea but it is well done. Nice little collection of Nato and Soviet armor,
"3rdWire" do WingsOverVietnam, For all you could ask of a jetcombat simulator I'd say job done.
CFS2 offers us a level of adaptability that the other sims lack, and I guess thats why I like it. I have some further ideas to air, but the question remains at present what are you looking for from CFS2 in Vietnam?

bretnutz
December 6th, 2008, 08:31
I want to give the many.....my word of THANKS.

As I see it and so many will agree....This Sim has come a long way..

This CFS2 has alot of life in her and......( maybe this is a dream ) She could outlive us all.....:costumes:

I :bs: you not........I am a Great Fan of the others and there Talent.

When it comes.....I'll download and be Truly Surprised .

All the Best

Bretnutz........gotta love the 'bull'

bearcat241
December 6th, 2008, 08:36
Dirty, you guys must be using a lot of the more recent Alphasim jets in this venture to be suffering from FR problems. The older CFS2 native jets do pretty good in numbers as AI models. If you need any suggestions i have a pretty extensive hangar of older models circa 2000-2002. One can always elect the newer planes as player a/c after loading the older models as AI wingmen.

Hey Simon, i agree with you on WOV and LOMAC. LOMAC can give a pilot lots of "helmet fire" in the thick of action...very complex systems that can preoccupy you to the point of neglecting the basic, solid tactics of A2A and A2G warfare. I found Jane's FA-18E to be the most balanced modern sim (circa 1999) in terms of systems complexity and raw piloting realism - most excellent radar and weapons systems i ever saw. My only complaint is in the way that the speeds of the mach 2 jets are limited by programming to around 650 mph. If you find yourself all alone in a sky full of hostiles, you don't have the option of just bugging out at mach 2 to fight another day. You have to literally fight your way out or die running :icon_lol:....unless you can egress their airspace hugging the deck at at treetop and max speed while spitting chaff and flares on each missle warning. The AI have a 100 foot hard-deck that they won't violate for anything, so you stay below it at top speed and they get a little confused about how to engage you. The SAM's and radar-guided AAA are lethal too.

gavinc
December 7th, 2008, 05:45
D-man,
Have you looked into using some of the FS2004 ai aircraft? I did a quick search on the usual suspects and came up with an F-4, a Mig-21 and a C-130. They had all been developed for FS2004 to be used as ai only aircraft and had multiple LOD's. You would probably need to replace the air files, drop in modified dp's etc but it might be worth investigating.

Gavin

Sturmvogel
December 9th, 2008, 11:51
An RAAF Canberra (even as AI) would be awesome! Here's one for FS2004:
http://www.surclaro.com/FS2004-Military-c24-480-titleD.html

OBIO
December 10th, 2008, 03:11
I came across a very sharp FS2004 F-4 that is a dedicated AI for that sim. I converted it to CFS2....and though it is touted as a low poly AI, it looks better than the ALpha Sim F-4s. The frame rates are insane! The downside....loss of half of the animations, the drag chute is out permanently and there is no VC.

I took a look at a Mig-21 that was done as a low poly AI for FS2004, and the frame rates on it were actually worse than the Alpha Sim Mig-21.

There are some older ALpha Sim planes out there....FS98 period...than yeild higher frame rates than the CFS2 native ones....would be good for AI use once converted and air and config and Dp files swapped out in them. They can be run through the 512Tex program to convert them from the old AF99 style texture format to BMP texture format and reskinned...would take a lot of work to get them all converted to CFS2, converted to BMP and reskinned. But that might be a solution to the low frame rates...using older, less detailed models for AI and using the nicer models for the player aircraft.

OBIO

Dirtman
December 10th, 2008, 15:39
An RAAF Canberra (even as AI) would be awesome!

Yo Sturmvogel;

Sorry Bro ..... no Canberra's in V-4-CFS2 66208

But how about a Recon B-57B? :applause:

How about a Recon B-57B AI? :applause::applause:

How about a Recon B-57B player version? :applause::applause::applause:

How about a Recon B-57B player version that YOU can take (and save) recon pictures with??
:jawdrop: :jawdrop: :jawdrop:

Have a look at the beta-bird that Obio has been working on..............

Are you happy now????

gianlucabagatti
December 11th, 2008, 03:26
for what I can see Dirtman, you and the team are doing a first-class job! hope you can keep goin'on, eager to fly it even with so few free time...
best regards, Gianluca