PDA

View Full Version : Different type of HAWK taking flight!

papab
April 28th, 2011, 04:26
In my backyard last Sunday..
Red Tailed Hawk

wiltzei
April 28th, 2011, 04:59
Nice shot. Technical details ?

papab
April 28th, 2011, 05:11
Nice shot. Technical details ?

Lucky shot with NIKON D50, Tamron 70-300 lens

Rick

Panther_99FS
April 28th, 2011, 09:44
:applause::applause::applause:

OBIO
April 28th, 2011, 10:06
The Red Tail Hawk is my favorite bird of prey, followed by the Kestrel Falcon, or as it is commonly called the Sparrow Hawk. There is pair of Red Tail Hawks building a nest up in a huge oak tree on the back side of the 3 acre wetland marsh on the property. I see them every day....though it does make me a bit nervous with them being there when I have my 8 pound dog outside. She is small enough to be lunch for a hungry Red Tail.

OBIO

papab
April 28th, 2011, 12:25
The Red Tail Hawk is my favorite bird of prey, followed by the Kestrel Falcon, or as it is commonly called the Sparrow Hawk. There is pair of Red Tail Hawks building a nest up in a huge oak tree on the back side of the 3 acre wetland marsh on the property. I see them every day....though it does make me a bit nervous with them being there when I have my 8 pound dog outside. She is small enough to be lunch for a hungry Red Tail.

OBIO
OBIO,
We have two Yorkies. One is 8 lbs and the other is 5 lbs. We do not leave them outside! When we walk them in the back yard they are on a leash and this time of the year when the Hawks are mating, wife walks the dogs close to her and I am the observer...
Here they both are at Christmas after my wife dressed them!

Cami-Female 5 Lbs.

Bosun- Male 8 Lbs. Got his name from Bosun's Mate, we have a sailboat and he loves the water. Lifejacket on of course!

BurningBeard
April 28th, 2011, 15:36
That is not the bird we call a Red Tail out here in Upstate California. Ours are much darker and have a solid red tail and don't have underwing markings that I have noticed. They can get to be pretty big, 4 to 4 1/2' wing span I would guess. They are very common and have no trouble getting ground squirrels and such. I have even seen them carrying a fairly large rattlesnake (I know it was rattle snake because it wasn't dead).

Beard

papab
April 28th, 2011, 15:55
That is not the bird we call a Red Tail out here in Upstate California. Ours are much darker and have a solid red tail and don't have underwing markings that I have noticed. They can get to be pretty big, 4 to 4 1/2' wing span I would guess. They are very common and have no trouble getting ground squirrels and such. I have even seen them carrying a fairly large rattlesnake (I know it was rattle snake because it wasn't dead).

Beard

I found out that is is called a Red Shouldered Hawk...

Rick

Willy
April 28th, 2011, 16:14
Looks like what we always called a "chicken hawk" when I was growing up because they wouldn't hesitate to nab a chicken. No clue what the "real" name for them is.

I don't let our Minature Pinschers outside alone either.