PDA

View Full Version : PAD Releases Beechcraft Model 99

dandee
April 26th, 2011, 08:55
Also called the C99. Can be had over at www.premaircraft.com (http://www.premaircraft.com).
http://www.premaircraft.com/_wp_generated/wp3a643423.png

Sid2008
April 26th, 2011, 09:36
Thank you PAD. this aircraft will be in my next short range cargo hanger. Will go good with FS Cargo
Thank you again.
Sid

Tako_Kichi
April 26th, 2011, 16:14
Anyone seen any VC shots yet? I checked the PAD site but only saw external views.

Drzook
April 26th, 2011, 18:20
WOOHOO!!!!!!:jump::applause::jump::applause:
I've been waiting for this one for a LONG time. Downloading as I type. Thanks for the heads-up TK!!:ernae:

Tako_Kichi
April 26th, 2011, 18:50
Thanks for the heads-up TK!!
Well thanks for the thanks but it was 'dandee' who made the first post. :icon_lol:

Drzook
April 26th, 2011, 19:07
Whups, my bad!:redface:
Thanks Dandee!:applause::ernae:
I am JUST THAT EXCITED about this bird!
I've been wanting one of these with a virtual cockpit since I got FS2004; back in my misspent youth (back in my FS98 days) I did some research about running an airline and my imaginary airline had two or three Beech 99's running from the main hub in Muskegon MI to far flung Midwestern venues like Milwaukee, Green Bay, Traverse City, Cleveland, et cetera. I figured out things like ticket prices, maintainence fees and what not. In the end I came to the conclusion that in order to get a small fortune in the airline business I would have to start with a large fortune.
Oh I just can't wait; gotta go check out the new airliner. :running:

stansdds
April 27th, 2011, 02:02
I might have to give this a try.

stansdds
April 28th, 2011, 02:06
I briefly looked at this offering yesterday. The exterior is pretty nice, the VC is also pretty nice. All gauges, avionics, and switches are 2D style, but that makes moving them an easy task. Night lighting is ok, the panel remains the same day color, but the rest of the cabin dims and the panel light casts a glow bright enough to see everything and would be useful during a night time start up. There are two fuel gauges in the VC, but both gauges are "left side" tank and both read at the total fuel capacity of both tanks combined, ie: full fuel for this aircraft is 804 lbs, both gauges register 804 lbs.

The passenger cabin is ok, decent seats, but overall the interior is a bit bland. The cargo version features a cargo cabin, but unless I'm doing something wrong, the cargo cabin is completely empty. It would have been nice to have had some cargo back there.

The belly pod can be toggled on or off, that's nice. The cfg file seems very simple, with only a few stations for placing the weight of passengers, crew, cargo, etc, but the cfg file puts all of the weight on one spot. Very simple cfg file. I did not get a chance to fly it, so I cannot comment on its flight characteristics.

I did notice that from the VC, looking over the nose, the nose is missing its skin. Kind of distracting to be looking into the structure of the nose.

A major annoyance I found was the shut down sequence. Shutting down the engines sends them into a restart loop. The only way I was able to cease the constant attempts to restart the engines was to turn off the master battery switch.

So far, I'd say this is a good offering, not as nice as their SAAB 340. I'd certainly like to see the nose skin and the shut down issues rectified and perhaps some cargo in the cargo version.

I'll try to give it some more test time this weekend.

AndyG43
April 28th, 2011, 02:32
I did notice that from the VC, looking over the nose, the nose is missing its skin. Kind of distracting to be looking into the structure of the nose.

I can't say for sure, and won't be able to check until tomorrow, but could adjusting the viewpoint for the VC solve this; it sounds like it may be set too close, hence the 'missing' skin, which probably will reappear if you move back slightly.

bobmay
April 28th, 2011, 04:23
Thanks to stansdds for his review of our Beech 99, a very fair assessment.

I can't reproduce the strange shut down behaviour he describes. If you use the recommended method of shut down ...pulling the fuel condition levers to 'fuel shut-off' position and then switching off the avionics, generators and battery, she shuts down perfectly every time.

The view of the nose from the VC is a fair point, the nose in VC view is not textured, but you do have to raise the viewpoint above what would be considered normal to see this. Maybe we should have textured it but every polygon less on the model is a fraction more of fps.

I'm looking forward to a review of the flying experience.

Bob
PAD

Astoroth
April 28th, 2011, 11:23
Hey Bob, I did notice one thing. Don't know if it's just on my system since no one else has mentioned it, but the flaps appear to have negative lift...? trimmed out for level flight, cruising at 175 knots, drop the flaps to full and she will fall like a rock at about 1200 fpm, even with nose up. I went into the aircraft.cfg and in the flaps section changed the lift scalar from 1.00 to -1.00 and now she behaves perfectly.
Other than that, I have no gripes at all, I have been looking for a good short field cargo craft, and this one will fit the bill to a T.

I have no idea what the real world perfomance of this aircraft is, but I love the way it flies.
Nimble on the controls without being twitchy, plenty of power for short field takeoff and climb out.
Full flaps and 60% power she rides the ILS approach at 110 knots, touch down and apply thrust reverse and she comes to a quick stop.

Thanks for this, I have been looking for a good bush freighter, and I think I found it.

phantomx1
April 28th, 2011, 13:19
There are two fuel gauges in the VC, but both gauges are "left side" tank and both read at the total fuel capacity of both tanks combined, ie: full fuel for this aircraft is 804 lbs, both gauges register 804 lbs.

I wonder if, two left tank guages, is the reason that the plane flys extremely left wing low when on auto pilot and set on a heading? Has anyone else run into this left wing low problem when using the autopilot?

Astoroth
April 28th, 2011, 13:25
I wonder if, two left tank guages, is the reason that the plane flys extremely left wing low when on auto pilot and set on a heading? Has anyone else run into this left wing low problem when using the autopilot?

Nope, mine flies nice and level.

bobmay
April 28th, 2011, 14:52

Again, this is something I can't reproduce in testing, the problem doesn't show here. One thing occurs to me tho', sometimes if a flight is started from a saved situation the model 'inherits' some properties from the previously saved flight and the fuel system seems particularly prone to this. It's best to start clean from the "create flight" menu.

Bob.

phantomx1
April 28th, 2011, 15:56
Was thinking maybe it was my control stick, I just got through flying the Cessna 414 and put it on autopilot and it had no problems. Went back into the Beechcraft 99 and it the problem was still there.

I have been starting off with the B99 from a fresh startup of the FS, which is default but is from a saved flight so I could base out of my hometown airport.

I looked to change the default back to KSEA but I can't remember how to revert back to the FS default start off airport.

Well it is not that important anyway Bob. A very nice B99 you guys have made. She still flies and looks very nice. I'll just pretend my co-pilot forgot to strap down that big round bar of cold roll back in the cargo hold. He's going to be in big trouble when we get to our destination.

stansdds
April 28th, 2011, 17:57
deleted

wombat666
April 28th, 2011, 18:43
I'd just like to throw in my personal 'Thank You' to Bob and the PAD team, the odd glitch or two appears from time to time (which is always sorted out) but I'm very grateful to have some good 'odd' GA aircraft that will probably remain overlooked by the 'Commercial' developers and are FS9 capable as well.
Bravo PAD!
:applause::applause::applause:

racartron
April 28th, 2011, 19:58
Really nice workhorse gal. I gave it the Shockwave treatment for those out there with this awesome add-on.

[LIGHTS]
//Types: 1=beacon, 2=strobe, 3=navigation, 4=cockpit
light.0 =3, 0.756000, -22.870000, 1.320000, fx_shockwave_navred
light.1 =3, 0.756000, 22.870000, 1.320000, fx_shockwave_navgre
light.2 =3, -25.200000, 0.000000, 2.100000, fx_shockwave_navwhi
light.3 =2, 0.400000, -22.870000, 1.320000, fx_shockwave_strobe
light.4 =2, 0.400000, 22.870000, 1.320000, fx_shockwave_strobe_2
light.5 =1, -24.000000, 0.000000, 9.590000, fx_PADbeaconh
light.6 =4, 4.910000, 0.000000, 2.220000, fx_shockwave_vclight,,
light.7 =4, 0.000000, 0.000000, 2.300000, fx_shockwave_vclight,,
light.8 =4, -5.500000, 0.000000, 2.300000, fx_shockwave_vclight,,
light.9 = 5, 17.40, -0.3, -1.30, fx_Shockwave_landing_light
light.10 = 5, 17.40, 0.3, -1.30, fx_Shockwave_landing_light
light.11 = 6, 17.40, 0.0, -1.80, fx_Shockwave_landing_light_small

Plus added this to the panel.cfg [Vcockpit01] so raising the gear automatically turns off the lights.

gauge51=shockwave_lights!SW Lights_gear, 1,1,1,1
gauge52=shockwave_lights!SW Lights_taxi_gear, 1,1,1,1

BTW, I don't have an attitude problem with the plane on full auto. She stays very level on my rig.

Sunny9850
April 28th, 2011, 20:03
I'd just like to throw in my personal 'Thank You' to Bob and the PAD team, the odd glitch or two appears from time to time (which is always sorted out) but I'm very grateful to have some good 'odd' GA aircraft that will probably remain overlooked by the 'Commercial' developers and are FS9 capable as well.
Bravo PAD!
:applause::applause::applause:

I will second that statement whole heartedly. And not only does PAD deliver quality aircraft that otherwise would not be there, they still keep in mind that not every FS PC out there is a CRAY on steroids. Their airplanes look right, generally feel right and run great on virtually any machine out there.

Personally I am a little miffed by a multiple post dissection of a new offering to the community. At the very least fly the airplane first before critizing the effort.
Does the MTOW really matter in the simulated world of FS ?? What if the rest of the FDE perfectly compensates for the possible difference ?? Does it still matter ??

I am quite certain the comments were not meant to be derogatory or mean, but I can't help bit think if I just spent a good bit of my time to build a free model for the community to enjoy I would feel just a bit of disappointment to see it "picked apart" without even getting off the ground once.

Part of the great fun and longevity of FS airplanes is the customization that inevitably seems to happen to FS airplanes. New skins, new effects, new panels and sometimes completely new FDE creations. Some airplanes that have lingered in the back of a hangar suddenly come back to brilliant life because someone comes up with a new tweak and shares it with the world.

So I am all for that. Some of the greatest additions to the Connie project came after the initial release. Such as redrawn bitmaps for the flight deck.
Just fly the thing first before writing a pirep. Road and Track still test drives 911s before doing a detailed write up..
:ernae:
Stefan

Drzook
April 29th, 2011, 05:51
Far be it to say that I could write a professional level pirep (Budd Davisson I am not), but I did a quick flight before RL grounded me:kilroy: and all I gotta say it flies very much what I expected. In FS one gets a feeling about if a plane 'feels' right and this one feels pretty much right. I absolutely love this plane; it is a keeper.
I just want to give a hearty THANK YOU to Bob and Premaircraft for getting this out (among other planes that have a special place in my heart); I've been wanting one of these for a LONG time.:ernae::applause::jump:

AndyG43
April 29th, 2011, 06:05
And can I add my thanks to Bob & the team who have given, and continue give us, some wonderful additions to our virtual skies. As a Brit I have been very grateful for their recent 146 (including the rarely modelled -100), a lovely Jetstream and a superb Trislander. And while this particular Beechcraft is not really my 'bag', each & every PAD release is an event that deserves to be celebrated & applauded. :applause:

bobmay
April 29th, 2011, 07:41
Thanks for the encouraging words guys. I feel very fortunate to be involved with an absorbing hobby and to be working with Jean-Pierre Brisard, a talented and modest gentleman who has now designed 33 models for PAD and for whom nothing is too much trouble.
Bob
PAD

P.S. There is another treat in store for regional freighter fans. To satisfy many, many, requests J-P has taken our B1900D, pulled it apart and re-designed it as a B1900C for FS9 and FSX. Should be ready to go next week.

http://www.premaircraft.com/pics/scrshot2194.jpg

racartron
April 29th, 2011, 08:21
Thanks for the encouraging words guys. I feel very fortunate to be involved with an absorbing hobby and to be working with Jean-Pierre Brisard, a talented and modest gentleman who has now designed 33 models for PAD and for whom nothing is too much trouble.
Bob
PAD

P.S. There is another treat in store for regional freighter fans. To satisfy many, many, requests J-P has taken our B1900D, pulled it apart and re-designed it as a B1900C for FS9 and FSX. Should be ready to go next week.

http://www.premaircraft.com/pics/scrshot2194.jpg

And the hits just keep on coming:greenbo: Guess y'all read the same Wiki profile I just did where they said the 1900 was the followup plane -- derived from the 99. I guess art does sometimes imitate life. Thanks so much guys are all y'all do.

phantomx1
April 29th, 2011, 14:39
I like the way this 99 pulls, she can get to altitude in no time, and also I like the way you can keep the cruise up on let downs to the destination airport right on down to the beginning of approach and not have to worry about fighting to bleed speed off to get the gear down. The speed is easy to come off, pop the gear and land. Pretty nice job on the air files Bob, she's a strong puller.

Jean-Pierre Brisard is very good modeler. Jean-Pierre's sleek Cessna 414 is another favorite I think very highly of and use an awful lot for cross country flights.

Thanks for the planes you guys have made!

PeteHam
April 29th, 2011, 21:11
Hi Bob,

Just want add my extreme thanks to you guys for supplying these sort after aircraft.:applause: :applause:

And for not abandoning the FS2004 users :jump: :jump:

:ernae:

Pete.

mrogers
April 30th, 2011, 00:34
I'd like to thank the PAD team so much...I am very grateful and appreciative to them for the aircraft they've made for us and thanks for the Beech 99, wonderful effort!...:applause::applause::ernae:

I also appreciate all the other designers out there as well....:ernae:

andersel
April 30th, 2011, 23:01
I second (and third and fourth) everyone’s positive feedback on the new PAD Beech 99. Great plane. Flies like a dream. Still working on the landing part of the equation. The only glitch [in my installation] is that the back-up/taxi gauge only displays as a black rectangle. A minor problem, but worth mentioning.

Also, I used Racartron’s Shockwave 3D Lights setup and, for some reason, the rotating beacon chooses not to work. Otherwise, a great addition to this fabulous aircraft.

Racartron - if you could help me with that beaconproblem I’d really appreciate it.

Thanks again to PAD for yet another wonderful gift to the FS community.

LA

racartron
April 30th, 2011, 23:41
Hmmmm, I didn't change the beacon. It is the one that came with the plane. I just checked it out and it still works on my install. It is a very slow cycle however -- about 6 secs.

Try this test. From the cockpit, turn off all the lights from the lower left console. Then flip up just the Beacon switch -- the third from the right. Switch to the spot view to see the results.

For me, the easiest way to modify/test any light changes is to do it at dusk (or even night) with a dark background so any changes really stand out.

In this particular rig, the PAD beacon is actually bigger and brighter than the Shockwave version. That's why I left it alone.

Hope this helps.

stansdds
May 1st, 2011, 03:28
I've given the PAD Beech 99 some flight time in FSX SP2 Accel. The ignition switches did not work properly for me, but swapping in the switches from the stock B350 King Air solved that issue. The ignition switch problem is something that plagues a lot of FS9 aircraft ported into FSX SP2 Accel. Thanks, MicroSoft.

It flies nicely and even ground handling, which can be a real problem in MS Flight Sims, is excellent. I can even move this aircraft backwards just with reverse thrust. I understand that this is rarely done in real life, but at real airports most of the parking spots are "pull through" style, MS Flight Sims have "dead end" style parking spots. Thanks MicroSoft.

I've been rearranging things on the panel to suit my preferences, it's nice to have a VC that actually allows this, and I expect I will be giving this aircraft a good number of flight hours.

I'd still like to see a cargo net and a big crate or several crates in the cargo version. Any chance of that happening? Maybe make the presence of the cargo an item that can be toggled?

In short, this is an excellent addition to the MS Flight Sim fleet. A big thank you to the PAD team.

Looking forward to seeing how PAD covers the B1900C. I have the ported version of PMDG's B1900C. Talk about issues in FSX SP2 Accel? The PMDG definitely has them!

andersel
May 1st, 2011, 15:55
Hmmmm, I didn't change the beacon. It is the one that came with the plane. I just checked it out and it still works on my install. It is a very slow cycle however -- about 6 secs.

Try this test. From the cockpit, turn off all the lights from the lower left console. Then flip up just the Beacon switch -- the third from the right. Switch to the spot view to see the results.

For me, the easiest way to modify/test any light changes is to do it at dusk (or even night) with a dark background so any changes really stand out.

In this particular rig, the PAD beacon is actually bigger and brighter than the Shockwave version. That's why I left it alone.

Hope this helps.

racartron - Thanks for the info. I went back and just deleted the whole A/C, re-installed, and took a look at the PAD lights. Everything worked OK so I saved a copy of the aircraft.cfg and modified the lights using your set-up. Once again, no rotating beacon.

When I compared the stock lights, the beacon reads: light.5 =1, -24.000000, 0.000000, 9.590000, fx_beacon with your set-up, which reads: light.5 =1, -24.000000, 0.000000, 9.590000, fx_PADbeaconh I definitly see the difference.

Question: Might replacing the portion [fx_PADbeaconh] with [ fx_beacon] solve the problem? Would it even work?

This is a particularly vexing issue, for me at least, and I really appreciate all of the time and effort you have spent creating this mod and helping me with this problem. THX LA

Flyboy208
May 1st, 2011, 18:30
Thank you Bob May and PAD Team, wonderful Beech 99 ! Mike :applause:

racartron
May 1st, 2011, 19:00
I think I have the solution. Obviously you don't have "fx_PADbeaconh.fx" in your effects folder. I re-downloaded the plane and sure enough there is only the "standard" fx_beacon.fx in the cfg file. I'm not sure exactly how I managed to get another of PAD's effects into the lineup unless I was using another PAD plane as a guide which already had that callout.

There are a couple easy solutions.
1. Just use the default fx_beacon.fx, or
2. Select one of the 10 beacon effects includes in the Shockwave package. Heck, I haven't actually checked out all their variations yet.

Memo to self: Look at all the beacon effect options I bought.:cowboy:

Hope this solves your problem so ya can just enjoy flying this great bird.

andersel
May 1st, 2011, 19:04
I think I have the solution. Obviously you don't have "fx_PADbeaconh.fx" in your effects folder. I re-downloaded the plane and sure enough there is only the "standard" fx_beacon.fx in the cfg file. I'm not sure exactly how I managed to get another of PAD's effects into the lineup unless I was using another PAD plane as a guide which already had that callout.

There are a couple easy solutions.
1. Just use the default fx_beacon.fx, or
2. Select one of the 10 beacon effects includes in the Shockwave package. Heck, I haven't actually checked out all their variations yet.

Memo to self: Look at all the beacon effect options I bought.:cowboy:

Hope this solves your problem so ya can just enjoy flying this great bird.

Thanks, racartron. I'll let you know as soon as I foul this up. LA

andersel
May 1st, 2011, 19:34
Racartron -
Well, it appears that I am actually absorbing knowledge. Following your suggestions I simply substituted fx_PADbeaconh with fx_beacon and, Presto, BEACON! You must be a freaking genius or something. Anyway, thanks again for all of your help because I am sure that this is not the last time I’ll be asking.

THX LA

aeromed202
May 2nd, 2011, 08:04
Wonderful addition to my fleet. Thanks Bob and all the PAD folks. Bob may remember I had the same flap problem with the PAD Saab 340 that this C99 apparently does. Trimming for straight and level flight then hands off and drop a notch of flaps and she would sink instead of rise. The fix was to go into the aircraft cfg, then under [flaps], then lift_scalar= 1.00. Change 1.00 to -1.00 and lift is restored. Don't know why but it works.