PDA

View Full Version : SOUND QUESTION?

Fibber
April 25th, 2011, 12:42
I remember that this was addressed ages ago but cant seem to remember the answer. Can CFS3 sounds be played in this sim if you change the header in the sound.cfg file? Are they compatible with that change made or is it a complete no go?

bearcat241
April 25th, 2011, 13:36
Fibber, many of the CFS3 sound packs use the stock supporting wav files for crashes, ground roll, wind, landing touchdowns and other miscellany located in the main CFS3 SOUNDS folder. So you first have to copy all the contents of your CFS3 sounds folder to a temp location, then copy the contents of your CFS2 main sounds folder to the same temp, choosing any overwrite if prompted. That gives the CFS2 files top priority by ensuring that any CFS3 files of the same names will not overwrite. After that you can use any CFS3 sound pack by just changing the header in the cfg from:

[CFS3]
product_code=CFS3

>>>>----------to--------->>>>

[FLTSIM]
product_code=FSIM

This [FLTSIM] header is compatible with FS98, FS2000, CFS1, CFS2, FS2002, FS2004 and FSX. Why CFS3 needed its own sound code within the MSFS line is beyond me.

Fibber
April 25th, 2011, 13:59
I don't have CFS3 as I thought it was a waste of money then. What has happened and why I was interestyed is I had a FUBAR on my ADD-ONs drive and I have been trying to re-sort things out I came across a folder that had alot of CFS3 sound files in it. I must have downloaded them awhile ago. I have been messing around and remembered the file header as being different and that what you wrote is what I thought as I found it in other CFS2 files. However I guess I would have to edit the Sound.cfg to use the cfs2 sound files.
Wonder if it is worth it? I would think some FS2002 and FS2004 files might be more worth the effort.

bearcat241
April 25th, 2011, 14:07
I wouldn't say its worth that little bit -- just to get the supporting wav files. Like you said, you can easily edit your CFS3 sound.cfg's to use supporting, secondary CFS2 or FS wav files that essentially do the same as the CFS3 items.

Fibber
April 25th, 2011, 17:26
Thanks, will look and see what I am missing. Now the hard part, do you where the CFS3 files (creaks and squeaks) may be available?