PDA

View Full Version : Flyby sounds

Pat Pattle
April 20th, 2011, 21:38
Can some kind soul point me in the direction of the sound that's used in the aircraft flyby please?

I want to improve the sound of the merlin engine in this mode, I've looked through but I'm actually guessing that it's not a seperate file?

Thanks.

Frosty
April 20th, 2011, 22:41
Aren't those the generic AI sounds 'ai_bomber', 'ai_fighter' and 'ai_jet'?

I think one can replace those in the sound .xml file of the aircraft with more specific engine sounds. I seem to recall that I did that once using the '...rpm3' sound of the engine involved.

Frosty

lewis11777
April 21st, 2011, 03:03
Clive Frosty is right, those generic ai sounds are your fly by sounds. As many here have done, you see below where I added some aircraft specific sounds that are not generic. Actually this is a small clip of my sound tree, I have about a hundred specific sounds. Something I learned though is the ai sound must be a constant pitch and volume, because the ai sounds are also used when you have planes on the runway waiting for takeoff. If you used a file with a rising and falling pitch then the planes lined up behind you for take off would sound as if they were moving past you (very unrealistic). Also if you are going to use wav files that you created or are not stock make sure the file is PCM - 22Khz - mono - 16 bit. If it's of a greater sound quality or in "stereo" vs "mono", the game plays the file at a ridiculously high volume that is also very unrealistic. I typically use a sound byte from the 3rd highest external engine sound to make fly-by wav files, for example xbf109_rpm3.wav makes a good sound for the 109. I'm sure you have your own preferances though.

<ai MinDistance="200" MaxDistance="2300" Looping="Yes" Atten="4" Class="AI">
<bomber>
<sound file="ai_bomber.wav" />
</bomber>
<fighter>
<sound file="ai_fighter.wav" />
</fighter>
<jet>
<sound file="ai_jet.wav" />
</jet>
<aircraft>
<sound file="ai_fighter.wav" />
</aircraft>
<a6m2>
<sound file="ai_zero.wav" />
</a6m2>
<a6m5>
</a6m5>
<a6m5a>
</a6m5a>

Pat Pattle
April 21st, 2011, 03:19
Ah I see! Thanks chaps, I'll have a tinker. :salute:

In Rowans/Shockwaves BoB the merlin flyby sound is awesome, I want to try and get that into my installed Spits & Hurris. However it's not a constant pitch (its actually the sound of a real flypast) so from your experience Lewis it might no work that well. There may be a work around though.

lewis11777
April 21st, 2011, 10:38
Clive that is what I tried because like you I found some awesome fly by recordings. Just to get and Idea what I'm talking about, replace the ai fighter wav file with the fly by sound byte you referred to and then do a runway take off with at least one other ai wingman. i didn't realize it would come out the way it did and it sounded very hoky. Please let us know if you find a work around.

lewis11777
April 21st, 2011, 10:41
Clive also let me know if you want to try any of my aircraft specific ai sounds.

popsaka
April 21st, 2011, 11:07
FYI... you take the aircraft, vehicle, ship or almost anything, and

Copy it's '.m3d' model name (minus the '.m3d' part) and put it in sounds.xml

the same way any other 'ai' is inserted... like:

<a6m5>
</a6m5> .... and the .wav sound file you

want it to sound like in sim

dancat
April 21st, 2011, 18:17
I think I know what you're looking for but it'll take more brain cells than I have right now to explain it..
you need to edit the sound xml
the area you're looking for is <ai
something like this should work.
<ai MinDistance="125" Looping="Yes" Relative="NO" No3D="NO" Class="AI">
the key here is NO3D"NO"
it makes the wav pitch change as the ai plane gets closer/farther from the camera.
this will also create an issue with vehicle sounds as you fly over them but I've found that
if you create a <ai *** for aircraft with the no3d="no" and also do the same for ground vehicles but say 3d yes it will still work.
if you try using a flyby sound, it'll just keep looping so all your wingmen will have a flyby sound even on the ground.
do the no no3d thing and do a flyby to hear the difference.
back up sound xml etc...
here are 3 of my merlin sounds I mixed you can try.
sorry, I've been awake for 21 hours after 3 hours sleep...and 6 beers and a shot of schnapps. I hope I helped.

Pat Pattle
April 22nd, 2011, 00:04
Thanks Jon! The sounds are great.:salute: After much fiddling and changing the entries as you mentioned I end up with your sounds and going back to the stock line:

<ai MinDistance="200" MaxDistance="2000" Looping="Yes" Atten="14" Class="AI">

have also created these entries for my own install of BoB.

<BoB_Spit_MkIa>
<sound file="ai_e_merlin.wav" />
</BoB_Spit_MkIa>
<BoB_Spit_MkIb>
</BoB_Spit_MkIb>
<BoB_Spit_54>
</BoB_Spit_54>
<BoB_Spit_609>
</BoB_Spit_609>
<BoB_Spit_72>
</BoB_Spit_72>
<BoB_Spit_72>
</BoB_Spit_72>
<BoB_Huri_017>
</BoB_Huri_017>
<BoB_Huri_303>
</BoB_Huri_303>
<BoB_Huri_257>
</BoB_Huri_257>
<BoB_Def_mkI>
</BoB_Def_mkI>

This gave the best results (for my ears) all round. It's a real shame I can't get that real flyby sound in (attached).

Lewis, anything you have I'd be glad to receive please! :)

lewis11777
April 22nd, 2011, 02:39
Clive, those will be coming your way this evening when I gey home from work!

browngib
April 22nd, 2011, 07:10
Clive, those will be coming your way this evening when I gey home from work!

Pappy Boyington ... my first Commanding Officer (a Captain O-6) told me that Pappy was his tactics instructor in Naval Flight Training and that he would stagger to the aircraft just as drunk as a skunk and as soon as he flopped into the back seat he was a sober and masterful aviator. Could fly circles around everyone else in simulated combat. As soon as he landed he staggered back to get a beer.

I cannot verify this other than to say this is what I was told. I actually believe it!

Best Regards,

Gib

popsaka
April 22nd, 2011, 07:51
...war and combat do strange things to the fighter pilot... yes?

I've noticed CFS3 has an increased doppler effect with '.wav' files attached to AI...:mixedsmi:

Also Clive (and everyone else) do you now appreciate your wingman having the same sound as you when flying past? Sometimes its nessesary to give the AI '.wav' file a slightly higher pitched sound to compensate for the AI doppler going too low after it has passed... AND I've also edited the 'viewui.xml' flyby view increasing the the 'going away' distance which gives your wingman a chance to be heard and also just barely gives one a chance to fly back towards ones self before it reloads/repeats... (whew!, my typing finger is cramping) :isadizzy:

lewis11777
April 22nd, 2011, 12:02
Pappy Boyington ... my first Commanding Officer (a Captain O-6) told me that Pappy was his tactics instructor in Naval Flight Training and that he would stagger to the aircraft just as drunk as a skunk and as soon as he flopped into the back seat he was a sober and masterful aviator. Could fly circles around everyone else in simulated combat. As soon as he landed he staggered back to get a beer.
I cannot verify this other than to say this is what I was told. I actually believe it!
Best Regards,
Gib

Pappy had quite a rep for drinking and more than one account says he climbed into the cockpit half lit up. Who can say for sure but it definitely seems to be consistent with his behavior. How is all with you Gib? You know we are building a new Rescue Swimmer Training Facility down in Elizabeth City don't you? I will send you an invite if you wish to attend the ribbon cutting ceremony.

lewis11777
April 22nd, 2011, 16:31
Clive check your email!