PDA

View Full Version : HM RAF New Toy

Matt Wynn
April 19th, 2011, 06:17
expected to be in service before the year is out but here she is; The A330 'Voyager', she will replace the L-1011 'Tristar' and the Venerable 'Viccy Ten's in the long run... and i gotta admit.... i kinda like her...

http://www.mod.uk/NR/rdonlyres/6C560E42-4E8F-4FDB-8337-9C3B967FA6DB/0/VoyagerlandingatBoscombesmall.jpg

And the Article:
Voyager Arrives in the UK (http://www.mod.uk/DefenceInternet/DefenceNews/EquipmentAndLogistics/RafsLargestEverAircraftArrivesInTheUk.htm)

AndyG43
April 19th, 2011, 06:23
Nice, and I rather like her too - just not sure about that name, Voyager? What will they name the A400M, "Equinox"?

Matt Wynn
April 19th, 2011, 06:27
Nice, and I rather like her too - just not sure about that name, Voyager? What will they name the A400M, "Equinox"?

A400M Prototype is called the 'Grizzly' by Airbus.... in RAF Service it will become 'Atlas' (Excellent more Greek-ness for the RAF) :icon_lol:

Wing_Z
April 19th, 2011, 15:01
A400M Prototype is called the 'Grizzly' by Airbus.... in RAF Service it will become 'Atlas' (Excellent more Greek-ness for the RAF) :icon_lol:Think it was misquoted from a senior RAF officer who said: "At last!" after the latest round of project rescheduling!
Do like the A330 as a refueller, it's very well suited to the task.

AndyG43
April 19th, 2011, 15:29
Think it was misquoted from a senior RAF officer who said: "At last!" after the latest round of project rescheduling!
Do like the A330 as a refueller, it's very well suited to the task.

Tell that to the US Congress!! :icon_lol:

Looking forward to finally seeing some real air to air Typhoon refuelling pics, instead of the endless 'shopped ones. And a short lineup at some future IAT, with RAF, Aussie, Saudi, UAE and (possibly) Indian & Brazilian tankers would be awfully impressive.

noddy
April 20th, 2011, 04:17
Just a shame we have no more jets to use it!

stiz
April 20th, 2011, 10:32
thats not on noddy, we have plenty of jets! their just sat in hangers awaiting sufficent spare parts! :kilroy:

noddy
April 20th, 2011, 11:54
thats not on noddy, we have plenty of jets! their just sat in hangers awaiting sufficent spare parts! :kilroy:

Yep fair point!

Allen
April 20th, 2011, 21:52

Take part from Jet A, move Jet A part to Jet B. Now Jet B works! :applause:

Matt Wynn
April 21st, 2011, 06:50
oh theres calls to re-instate the Harrier because of the Libya Crisis... as the Typhoons are mainly Air Superiority Fighters, not mud movers (Despite the FGR.4 status), Harriers would lower the costs of being involved in Libya... plus we could base them off the coast minutes of flight time away as opposed to Hours...

back on track, A400M should be at RIAT this year again and Hopefully so should the Voyager...

stiz
April 21st, 2011, 10:58
Harriers would lower the costs of being involved in Libya...

sorry smoothie but the whole cheaper thing is a load of tosh in my opion .. first we'd need to de-mothball em, but back anything that was taken out, flight test em, give the crews a quick refresher (pilots and techies), then pay them op pay/flying pay etc

plus we could base them off the coast minutes of flight time away as opposed to Hours...well we'd have to find a carrier from somewhere, which would need fuel, suplies, crew and ammo etc. All of which needs buying/paying.

Dont get me wrong i was sad to see the harrier go, but the navy praticly killed it by getting rid of the carriers to use it on. Without the carrier the harriers no where near as good as the tornado and hopefully in a few years, the typhoon.

Clarke123
April 22nd, 2011, 04:21
Dont get me wrong i was sad to see the harrier go, but the navy praticly killed it by getting rid of the carriers to use it on. Without the carrier the harriers no where near as good as the tornado and hopefully in a few years, the typhoon.
The Navy didn't kill the harrier or get rid of the carriers! The Tories canned the Harrier then came to the conclusion that the carriers were now useless without a fixed wing component so they canned the Ark Royal and Invincible and the Illustrious is being converted into a Helo carrier. Besides that the scrapping of the Sea Harrier and the resulting crab infestation practically killed the carriers as an effective force years ago.

Matt Wynn
April 22nd, 2011, 05:53
oh if i recall some of the Harriers are still fired up daily inside their hangar, most are servicable still also, 60 of them are describes as in Pristine condition... and HMS Illustrious is being refitted as a helicopter carrier - but should the harrier call be revoked (i won't get into politics as i'd be banned in a heartbeat) she could be ready to operate Harriers again by Christmas..

back to Voyager, plans are to do her first fuelling of an RAF aircraft under test conditions by mid this year...