PDA

View Full Version : Wilco Harrier (Download version released!)

Pages : [1] 2

bazzar
April 18th, 2011, 19:06
For those that have asked, the new Harrier GR.3 and SHAR1 work perfectly in Windows7.

AutoSTO, STOL and VTOL modes are all functioning perfectly. Not long now.:engel016:

heywooood
April 18th, 2011, 19:37
Hokey Smokey!!!

IanHenry
April 18th, 2011, 22:30
That looks fantastic Bazzer, it looks like I will be spending some time at Wittering in the not to distant future,
Regards,
Ian.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
<o:p> </o:p>

MDIvey
April 19th, 2011, 01:33
Hi Barry

that looks so good...any chance we can see some more of the SHAR.

Matt

Dag
April 19th, 2011, 05:34
Hi,

That looks absolutely faboulous. I am really looking forward to this one and I hope this thread will remain about the Wilco GR3 and SHAR :-)

Thanks

AndyE1976
April 19th, 2011, 07:34
This looks fantastic, will be a great add-on for flying around Orcas Island.

Chris Sykes
April 19th, 2011, 07:37
Hi, im really curious with the below points i have listed;

LGB, Clean and AIM-9 only loadouts? What about CBU, 500/1000lb, CBLS, SNEB/Rocket packs, just Tanks, just inner pylons (Unremovable due to no wiring joints for the WE177!)???
Centre Pylon not used? IIRC this was used by GR3 alot?
Aden Pods perminant? Harriers flew without them some times, both SHAR and GR3!
VIF'ing possible? Id guess this could be but with some FSX limitations?

bazzar
April 19th, 2011, 16:27
And presumably sir, you'd like this tomorrow?...:d

VIFFing is possible with this new VSTOL/STOL setup. In fact you can preset the nozzles.

Incidentally, sources indicate that Harrier pilots were discouraged from VIFFing- very few ever used the technique and certainly not in combat.

sketchy
April 19th, 2011, 16:57
I love terrible weather screen shots!

Looks Great!

dvj
April 19th, 2011, 17:29
Saaaaweeeet! Making room on my hard drive for this one. :salute:

bazzar
April 19th, 2011, 23:54
Dressed for the South Atlantic...:engel016:

MDIvey
April 20th, 2011, 00:39
Thanks for showing us some more pics, particularly the SHAR ones.

Matt

AndyG43
April 20th, 2011, 03:17
Looking nice, may well have to add this to me FSX stable.

Bazzar, sorry to be a pedant, but was the twin Sidewinder installation really applicable to GR3; I remember it being a post-Falklands fit applied to the Sea Harrier, but don't ever recall seeing it on the RAF mudmover? Not that it will stop me picking this up when it is released!!!! :icon_lol:

IanHenry
April 20th, 2011, 04:05
Bazzer,
Any thoughts on doing a two seater add on expansion pack at any stage? Just a thought, and it would finish it off nicely.
Regards,
Ian.

kilo delta
April 20th, 2011, 04:40
Droooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooool

hae5904
April 20th, 2011, 11:08
She sure look awesome, no doubt about that!! Still, and this is a minor issue, having a radar display inside the GR3 cockpit instead of a moving map?? Hopefully that will be fixed.

Cheers.

italoc
April 20th, 2011, 12:38
For those that have asked, the new Harrier GR.3 and SHAR1 work perfectly in Windows7.

AutoSTO, STOL and VTOL modes are all functioning perfectly. Not long now.:engel016:

Hi Bazzar
I visited Wilco site, saw the awsome screenshots but nothing saying which platform is made for: before I ask permission to the dear mother of my three sons if I'm allowed to use her Amex card http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/images/icons/icon28.gif, is the Harrier native FSX ??? :wiggle:
Italo

bazzar
April 20th, 2011, 14:23
The Harrier is native FSX.

The radar is indeed "non-standard". We have put it in because a)It is a great piece of programming and actually works as a tracking and identification radar and is linked to targeting on the HUD. A moving map in FSX is really only possible using a version of the traffic radar or GPS, with terrain detail. This was tried but hard-coded into the VC, the resultant loss in framerates would be unacceptable. We believe that the radar is a happy compromise.

Of course, you can always turn it off, a switch is provided and there's a perfect facsimile of the moving map underneath with the Goose Green area depicted.

The radar and moving map facsimile are mapped spherically under the glass lens.:engel016:

TuFun
April 20th, 2011, 14:35
I got say this looks fantastic... and this from a two wing flyer!

bazzar
April 20th, 2011, 14:44
Don't worry, you'll be quite safe with the auto-flap system. The wing really does change its lift characteristic on the fly. Beside your plane will be much lighter without that spare wing hanging about...:engel016:

bazzar
April 20th, 2011, 20:18
Looking nice, may well have to add this to me FSX stable.

Bazzar, sorry to be a pedant, but was the twin Sidewinder installation really applicable to GR3; I remember it being a post-Falklands fit applied to the Sea Harrier, but don't ever recall seeing it on the RAF mudmover? Not that it will stop me picking this up when it is released!!!! :icon_lol:

Hi Andy,

You are quite correct on the SHAR so we have made the outers single Sidewinders and mixed things up a bit by adding pods to the GR3. Thanks for the HU.:engel016:

YoYo
April 20th, 2011, 22:25
Hello,

HUD will be collimated ???

bazzar
April 21st, 2011, 00:26
Hello,

Covered elsewhere.

AndyG43
April 21st, 2011, 00:26
Hi Andy,

You are quite correct on the SHAR so we have made the outers single Sidewinders and mixed things up a bit by adding pods to the GR3. Thanks for the HU.:engel016:

You're welcome Bazzar. Looking forward to this one, hope it's not too resource hungry as I don't really have an optimal FSX system; it will run most things fairly happily, but the Aerosoft F-16 (for example) turns things into a slideshow.

Always had a soft spot for the Harrier, as I used to live down the road from Wittering so we had them flying over on a regular basis. My ex-father in law was posted to 1 Sqn in the early days of Harriers, he was an armaments crew chief (his penultimate posting before leaving the mob after 38 years service), also spent two years in Germany with them. Used to tell us some interesting stories of the early GR1's barely having enough grunt to get from one side of Wittering to the other.

bazzar
April 21st, 2011, 00:37
Yes the Harrier can easily be overloaded (max 21,000 bs for Sto work for example, less for VTOL) and can be a handfull. Must have been a nightmare for armourers and logistics people trying to work out what would get where and back in one piece!

My favourite "modern" jet - it deserves more recognition than it got.

Chris Sykes
April 21st, 2011, 02:08
looking good there! Can i ask how the intake doors operate? Is it on throttle setting or some other trickery?

UKMIL
April 21st, 2011, 03:12
I am sure the Wilco one is the same as ours. We have coded the GR7 to close at a certain airspeed. They also close on the ground when the engines are off

MDIvey
April 21st, 2011, 03:19
This looks ready to go:jump:...have we got to wait til 16th May as Wilco site was saying or have they brought it forward at all?

Matt

Stickshaker
April 21st, 2011, 09:18
Covered elsewhere.

Barry, 'elsewhere' you said that you would come back to the HUD collimation question. But I cannot find an answer anywhere.

hae5904
April 21st, 2011, 12:46
The Harrier is native FSX.

The radar is indeed "non-standard". We have put it in because a)It is a great piece of programming and actually works as a tracking and identification radar and is linked to targeting on the HUD. A moving map in FSX is really only possible using a version of the traffic radar or GPS, with terrain detail. This was tried but hard-coded into the VC, the resultant loss in framerates would be unacceptable. We believe that the radar is a happy compromise.

Of course, you can always turn it off, a switch is provided and there's a perfect facsimile of the moving map underneath with the Goose Green area depicted.

The radar and moving map facsimile are mapped spherically under the glass lens.:engel016:

Thanks Bazzar for clearing that up! I can live with that. :jump:

Cheers,
Hank

bazzar
April 21st, 2011, 15:15
looking good there! Can i ask how the intake doors operate? Is it on throttle setting or some other trickery?

Because of the way the new system is set up, they operate on demand, together with Boundary layer bleed-air doors operating automatically at low speeds for extra manouevrability, using the "puffers". Can't say much more than that as I am bound to secrecy...:icon_lol:

bazzar
April 22nd, 2011, 01:16
Hello,

Yes the HUD is collimated (well as far as FSX will allow) true collimation you'd probably want a spend abut $1M for...:icon_lol::engel016:

Stickshaker
April 22nd, 2011, 04:03
Yes the HUD is collimated (well as far as FSX will allow) true collimation you'd probably want a spend abut $1M for...:icon_lol::engel016:

Great news Baz, thanks for sharing

Motormouse
April 22nd, 2011, 06:53
A few comments have caught my attention..

twin sidewinder on GR.3's

Was going to be an option introduced on phase 7 upgrade; the wiring was all put there as part of phase 6 upgrade; also would provide option for a wingtip rail (akin to F16);
but Phase 7 got canned by intro of the new GR.5

inner pylons not removable

Certainly were removable; just wasn't an easily/quickly accomplished task; when pylon removed the harness was stowed in a 'blister' cover panel. Incidentally the Phase 6 upgrade introduced longer wiring harness to outer pylon too; (as well as white strobe lights; a Rad Alt and some other goodies) ; as the first Phase 6 wasn't done until 1983, the Falklands ones shouldn't have white strobes or rad alt either!

Aden pods

Fit was either pods or strakes; as combined with the small gear doors on main and nose gear; the space they enclose on lower fuselage forms an air 'dam' that increases lift in the hover by trapping rebounded (from ground) jet blast beneath the fuselage.
Incidentally some 'Falklands War' GR3's flew with an empty gun-pod converted to house the Blue Eric jammer (Google it).

VFF

Problem with VFF ; particularly for GR.3's was the fatigue life penalty that was applied;
IIRC each VFF was counted as 5 'normal' flights. Wings and fuselage were separate 'lifed' components; and would have to be swopped around regularly to even out the fatigue life consumption. The RN did practice VFF; but IIRC none of the air-air combat's in Falklands required use of the technique; the SHAR was naturally more agile.

ttfn

Pete

Ps How about the extended 'Ferry (wing) Tips' to go with the big 'Ferry' external wing tanks...

Chris Sykes
April 22nd, 2011, 07:11
Certainly were removable; just wasn't an easily/quickly accomplished task; when pylon removed the harness was stowed in a 'blister' cover panel. Incidentally the Phase 6 upgrade introduced longer wiring harness to outer pylon too; (as well as white strobe lights; a Rad Alt and some other goodies) ; as the first Phase 6 wasn't done until 1983, the Falklands ones shouldn't have white strobes or rad alt either!

This could have been the SHAR only from pictures on the net it looks like the SHAR had the inner pylons on when the outer were removed???

Motormouse
April 22nd, 2011, 07:58
This could have been the SHAR only from pictures on the net it looks like the SHAR had the inner pylons on when the outer were removed???

The phase 6 upgrades were to GR3's only; the SHAR was slated for a Phase 1; but those improvements were largely incorporated and superceded by the FRS2 re-build.

Now, to wings and pylons...(I spent my last 6 months in RAF overhauling Harrier and Sea Harrier wings; @ 1992); it was usual squadron practice for all four pylons to be fitted; and within that description, the two inner pylons would normally have external tanks mounted; leaving the outers and centreline to carry things wot go bang.

As Bazzar pointed out earlier there was a weight/performance balancing act to be performed; especially when certain flight profiles meant use of 'hover' modes; removal of outers (each outer pylon is @ 2 hours work to remove and/or fit) would be because the flight profile and planned load-out demanded it for weight-saving.

Inner pylons; although removable; were rarely removed once fitted as they took even longer to remove and/or fit.

Hope this helps.

ttfn

Pete

AndyE1976
April 22nd, 2011, 10:55
Pete, you should write a book on this stuff, your insights into working with the Harrier are fascinating!

bazzar
April 22nd, 2011, 15:05
When we started this project for Wilco, we thought, where the hell do we start? The amount of info one needs to accumulate and digest is enormous on this type of aeroplane.

Then of course you have to teach the sim not to be so silly and obey all these new commands.

Pete obviously has a vast amount of experience knowlege, we have just scratched the surface but have endeavoured to provide as realistic a simulation as possible. There will always be errors of some sort or another but that is what upgrades and patches do. As new info comes to light or as we learn more we can adapt the project.

It is interesting though. just how much knowlege we have to accumulate on different aircraft,from biplanes to airliners. We'd probably do well in a quiz show!:engel016:

peter12213
April 22nd, 2011, 15:52
One other thing I read in sharkey wards book was that they'd drop the nossels 80 degrees while keeping the throttle at idle with full flaps down on approach to the carrier to slow the aircraft, he actually says that it was like having 4 airbrakes but was different from a VFF, as soon as the speed started getting down around 120kts power would be applied, water injection switched on then finally the gear and airbrake would be deployed, really can't wait to fly the SHAR what a huge miss the aircraft is over here!

SADT
April 22nd, 2011, 21:54
I havent the foggiest idea - What is "VFF"?

Craig

bazzar
April 22nd, 2011, 22:20
Well, it's either the Vietnamese International Film Festival or...

Vectoring In Forward Flight. A technique used in VTOL aircraft whereby the ability to use vectored thrust is used to reverse direction or rapidly slow the aircraft allowing the "enemy" to overshoot.

As already mentioned earlier, VIFFíng was not really encouraged as it put enormous strain on the Harrier airframe, especially when carrying heavy payloads.

wiltzei
April 22nd, 2011, 22:42
VIFF is used during the following clip.

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/rtQRHm1CZdI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Motormouse
April 23rd, 2011, 00:17
we have just scratched the surface but have endeavoured to provide as realistic a simulation as possible. There will always be errors of some sort or another but that is what upgrades and patches do. As new info comes to light or as we learn more we can adapt the project.

It is interesting though. just how much knowlege we have to accumulate on different aircraft,from biplanes to airliners. We'd probably do well in a quiz show!:engel016:

Likewise; the Harrier was an often frustrating beast to work with; they (over time) gained 'field modifications' that became standard ; such as trimming the last 2" off the ventral airbrake so it wouldn't touch the ground when the aeroplane heavily laden; and 'window' chaff packets being permanently fixed to inside of airbrake. (Phase 6 upgrade introduced the matra Phimat (google it!) pod capability to outer pylons btw Bazzar; although only one would be carried)

ttfn

Pete

MDIvey
May 9th, 2011, 13:26
pleasantly surprised to find download version is already available... very pleased. Great work AH

Matt

Roger
May 9th, 2011, 13:42
Yep! Download version released...

http://www.wilcopub.com/harrier-jump-jet-5928.html

bazzar
May 9th, 2011, 14:41
Well I hope you like her and thankyou Matt.

Please remember that this is the download version only at this stage. It gives us and Wilco an opportunity to put in upgrades which on a model like this one is more than likely.

For those who are going to plunge in, it is very important that you read the manual to set up your controller and keystrokes CAREFULLY. Rob has done a magnificent job on this one and she is a handful if you get things wrong.

Airshow bows and VIFFing are all possible now but please, please, please read the manual!..:engel016:

MDIvey
May 9th, 2011, 14:58
I havent fully got the hang of it all yet but I'm enjoying it very much. The modelling/texturing is superb as is the FDE. The only thing I'd have different and its probably only personal taste... is that I'd have the Canopy glass a smidge more opaque so you notice it more.

Matt

Roger
May 9th, 2011, 15:21
If I click the Delivery type my screen goes dark and then nothing happens. So without being able to chose "download delivery" I can't buy the product. Ie9...anyone else having the same problem?

flaviossa
May 9th, 2011, 16:00
Very nice plane ... thanks Bazzar! I´m just starting to understand all the flying variables. :salute:

Two things to put in the patch:
- The refuel probe is not visible from inside the cockpit. Minor thing but it should be good to see it.
- Some glitch with the sound repeat loop with idle engine inside cockpit. It appears to have little difference in the end of each loop (My english is not good enough to explain it better).

Thanks again!

bazzar
May 9th, 2011, 16:54
Duly noted. Thanks.

Barfly
May 9th, 2011, 18:03
Wow. Awesome... now I can fly in and out of those little fields in PNW with a 'fast jet', well done!

Excellent, excellent bird. VTOL is a blast!

strykerpsg
May 9th, 2011, 18:45
Damn it! Figures I actually have work to bring home and can't enjoy this latest release. Well, the weekend's a coming........thanks for the update.

Matt

strykerpsg
May 9th, 2011, 19:37
I have probably overlooked this, but is there a free/payware ski jump carrier available? Better yet, does the Wilco release come with a ski ramp or ski jump carrier? Grrr, trying to focus on my homework, now thinking of viffing and carving canyon walls. Boy, this would be another fantastic add to the FSX @ War add on, say versus some Argie Daggers or Etendard's....

Matt

Barfly
May 9th, 2011, 19:46
"...$2.24 / gallon? Fillr' up with 'V-Power' please!"

Captured in Concrete, WA, a few blocks from 3W5 airstrip.

joanvalley
May 9th, 2011, 20:56
If I click the Delivery type my screen goes dark and then nothing happens. So without being able to chose "download delivery" I can't buy the product. Ie9...anyone else having the same problem?

ditto.

The delivery option disappears when trying to choose and the dark screen appears.
Can't buy it!

Jose.

***SOLVED*** Click compatibility view icon (broken sheet icon) and then select your download option! Forgot to mention this on IE9 browser.

bazzar
May 9th, 2011, 21:16
"...$2.24 / gallon? Fillr' up with 'V-Power' please!"

Captured in Concrete, WA, a few blocks from 3W5 airstrip.

Next time try for the pump area!:applause:

bazzar
May 9th, 2011, 21:18
Thanks Jose, I was about to contact Wilco (I will do anyway) but it looks like you've found a fix. We just build 'em.:engel016:

joanvalley
May 9th, 2011, 21:55
No problema! I'm really enjoying this product, but I have found two little things that may need fixing:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v297/joanvalley/Wilcojumpjet01.jpg

Not a biggie for me but would be nice to have them properly fixed. Congrats guys in a very much needed and fantastic model!

Jose.

atf300
May 10th, 2011, 07:04
how does the vtol operate ? do you set an axis for the nozzles ?

AndyE1976
May 10th, 2011, 07:08
Prop axis controls the nozzles - great solution and much better than using the flaps.

Downloaded this morning and did a quick flight, but not enough to get an impression other than it looks decent. Manual is printed and tonight is looking like some good flying time!

Chris Sykes
May 10th, 2011, 07:27
Prop axis controls the nozzles - great solution and much better than using the flaps.

Awsome!!! I already had my setup on my X52 to have this on one of the sliders!!!:jump:

bazzar
May 10th, 2011, 14:42
Then you are set to go Chris. Maker sure, though that the null zones are set up correctly for your stick and that it zeros accurately. Otherwise you might get a surprise!

The auto STO lever can be set using keystrokes for guaranteed nozzle position if you prefer.

First patch/upgrade should be at the site or will be very soon. Those flap and poly glitches are fixed and you can now see the refuel probe from the VC when you use the call-up switch.:engel016:

flaviossa
May 10th, 2011, 15:28
Thanks bazzar!!

AndyE1976
May 10th, 2011, 16:31
I've not had any problems seeing the refuelling probe in either the GR3 or FRS1 from the VC.

I only have a couple of minor issues; the texture for the glass is probably trying to represent perspex distortion, but it's a bit annoying. Any chance of an alternative texture? And also I can't seem to clear the 'H' hydraulic pressure warning, but I need to read the manual more thoroughly I suspect for that one.

Otherwise this is a fantastic aircraft. The VSTOL flight is superb, both take offs and landings are fairly easy with a little practice and it is nice to have something quick that can get into any airport.

Akatsuki
May 10th, 2011, 17:00
I've not had any problems seeing the refuelling probe in either the GR3 or FRS1 from the VC.

I only have a couple of minor issues; the texture for the glass is probably trying to represent perspex distortion, but it's a bit annoying. Any chance of an alternative texture? And also I can't seem to clear the 'H' hydraulic pressure warning, but I need to read the manual more thoroughly I suspect for that one.

Otherwise this is a fantastic aircraft. The VSTOL flight is superb, both take offs and landings are fairly easy with a little practice and it is nice to have something quick that can get into any airport.

I too find that texture annoying in an otherwise very fun aircraft to fly. To solve that texture issue you can rename the file "AH_Harrier_Glass_t.dds" in the "FSX\SimObjects\Airplanes\Wilco_HJJ\texture" folder.

peter12213
May 10th, 2011, 17:42
Same here Guys and I can't seem to find the solution to the Hydraulic H problem too!

AndyE1976
May 10th, 2011, 18:08
I too find that texture annoying in an otherwise very fun aircraft to fly. To solve that texture issue you can rename the file "AH_Harrier_Glass_t.dds" in the "FSX\SimObjects\Airplanes\Wilco_HJJ\texture" folder.

Cool, I'll try that.

Apparently the Harrier is fine with low Hydraulic pressure as it seems to fly ok!

Barfly
May 10th, 2011, 19:03
Just ignore that "H",... and the EGT overtemp readout, and the aoa gauge that's labelled 'g-meter' lol. A few minor quibbles IMO it's a great plane overall.

ZsoltB
May 10th, 2011, 19:44
Unfortunately, the CS Weapon Pack is not functioning properly in the model

vonstroheim
May 10th, 2011, 19:55
Since it's an early release of a truly wonderful plane, I think Wilco will be interested in a little feedback. Here are mine...

FPS were quite poor on my system until I desactivated the HUD (all the lines with "HJJ_HUD" in panel.cfg)... Got immediatly 5 to 8 more FPS, that's 25% !

The parking brake doesn't hold much... it disengage automaticaly way too soon... couldn't find a hack for this one...

Not a bug but a comment: since the flaps are automatic, I think it's a pain to use the Prop-pitch key for nozzle control... Don't have enough button on my joystick, had to cancel gear and brakes to make room for nozzle control... The freeware Iris Harrier with Rob's VTOL gauge works very well with the flaps keys! Maybe I'm to conservative...

Anyway, thanks Wilco and Rob, I was waiting for a real FSX Harrier for quite some time, and here it is! I hope I won't spoil the fun... Version 1.1 will be perfect!

JayKae
May 10th, 2011, 21:26
This is a lovely lovely plane, very happy I bought it!

bazzar
May 10th, 2011, 21:52
Since it's an early release of a truly wonderful plane, I think Wilco will be interested in a little feedback. Here are mine...

FPS were quite poor on my system until I desactivated the HUD (all the lines with "HJJ_HUD" in panel.cfg)... Got immediatly 5 to 8 more FPS, that's 25% !

The parking brake doesn't hold much... it disengage automaticaly way too soon... couldn't find a hack for this one...

Not a bug but a comment: since the flaps are automatic, I think it's a pain to use the Prop-pitch key for nozzle control... Don't have enough button on my joystick, had to cancel gear and brakes to make room for nozzle control... The freeware Iris Harrier with Rob's VTOL gauge works very well with the flaps keys! Maybe I'm to conservative...

Anyway, thanks Wilco and Rob, I was waiting for a real FSX Harrier for quite some time, and here it is! I hope I won't spoil the fun... Version 1.1 will be perfect!

Rob's new system has been designed specifically to make things more realistic. You don't need to assign your controller, keystrokes work perfectly well. Also, as flaps are indeed automatic why not re-assign your flaps controller?

Glad you are enjoying it.:engel016:

Francois
May 10th, 2011, 23:48
Hmmmmmmm.... it is quite obvious who published it, but.... who MADE it ?? :kilroy:

LUCE1
May 11th, 2011, 00:11
Does the Harrier GR3 should have the engine water injection extra-power / overspeed control ?
Or i am wrong ?

bazzar
May 11th, 2011, 00:12
"Hmmmmmmm.... it is quite obvious who published it, but.... who MADE it ??"

ummm we did...:engel016:

Francois
May 11th, 2011, 00:15
'we' being...... ? 'Barry'.... 'Rob'..... secrecy? :icon_lol:

At FSAddon I like to give credit to the actual designers and beta testers, so they are always prominently mentioned. And I also like for my customers to know WHO they really bought a product from, 'me' just being the project manager/investor and/or middleman. Hence the question.

Martyn
May 11th, 2011, 00:24
Developed by Barry and his team at Aeroplane Heaven, with FDE assistance from Rob, I imagine :salute:

Chris Sykes
May 11th, 2011, 00:25
I brought last night, had a very quick flight in it, seems OK... One thing i had with the nossel possition is its very hard to get right with my X52 axis assigned to the prop pitch, alot of moving very slightly to move a few degrees on the pop up gauge... Will do a more in depth flight at some point soon!

bazzar
May 11th, 2011, 00:28
'we' being...... ? 'Barry'.... 'Rob'..... secrecy? :icon_lol:

At FSAddon I like to give credit to the actual designers and beta testers, so they are always prominently mentioned. And I also like for my customers to know WHO they really bought a product from, 'me' just being the project manager/investor and/or middleman. Hence the question.

Well all the credits are in the manual and in the specs but...

Publisher Wilco Publishing

Models, textures, etc. Aeroplane Hreaven
VTOL programming and flight dynamics Rob Berendregt
Radar Programming Eric Marciano
Bespoke animation code and other gauge work Modular 9

So, the customers who have bought so far have bought it from Wilco Publishing, owner of the project.

The rest of us don't really care too much about credit. (Cash preferred! :ernae::eek:

Francois
May 11th, 2011, 00:31
LOL.... cash too ..... :icon_lol:

But it helps at least part of the - potential - customers to know these things in order to decide.

Thanks mate :-)

bazzar
May 11th, 2011, 00:32
I brought last night, had a very quick flight in it, seems OK... One thing i had with the nossel possition is its very hard to get right with my X52 axis assigned to the prop pitch, alot of moving very slightly to move a few degrees on the pop up gauge... Will do a more in depth flight at some point soon!

Hi Chris,

Once you have the nozzle lever in the position you want, "mark" it with the STO lever. That way you can compensate for any fluctuation in your stick controller and snap the nozzle lever to that position each time . It's not easy but then that's how it was designed.

IanHenry
May 11th, 2011, 01:27
I want to buy the Harrier, but I my as well wait for the updated version, could you let us know when that one becomes available Bazzer? That would be much appreciated.

Regards,
Ian.

Chris Sykes
May 11th, 2011, 01:52
Hi Chris,

Once you have the nozzle lever in the position you want, "mark" it with the STO lever. That way you can compensate for any fluctuation in your stick controller and snap the nozzle lever to that position each time . It's not easy but then that's how it was designed.

Ah must have skipped that bit in the manual, as i had a quick read through then a quick flight... Is there an online manual as it might be handy for those who havent purchased to see what it looks like and to be prepared?

bazzar
May 11th, 2011, 02:28
I want to buy the Harrier, but I my as well wait for the updated version, could you let us know when that one becomes available Bazzer? That would be much appreciated.

Regards,
Ian.

G'day Ian,

I believe the new version is available now.:engel016:

flaviossa
May 11th, 2011, 02:39
Bazzar,
I didn´t recieved any contact from wilco about the new version. It´s ok to redownload the complete package again, or it´s a patch that i´m not findind in harrier´s page???

Thanks!

dougal
May 11th, 2011, 03:45
Francois actually made a very valid point. I have purchased this, but ONLY after a pretty difficult time of trying to find out who the devs were.

Reason being... Me, like many others, have had bad experiences with Wilco, and will only purchase from them if I know the devs and REALLY want their work.

10/10 though guys. I,m loving this. It's by far the best Harrier for FSX!

dougal
May 11th, 2011, 04:02
Francois actually made a very valid point. I have purchased this, but ONLY after a pretty difficult time of trying to find out who the devs were.

Reason being... Me, like many others, have had bad experiences with Wilco, and will only purchase from them if I know the devs and REALLY want their work.

10/10 though guys. I,m loving this. It's by far the best Harrier for FSX!

An example being... Just gone to my 'orders' page at Wilco, only to find my purchase not there. Meaning I can't get the update.

UKMIL
May 11th, 2011, 04:37
I would have thought, on a payware product, you could have coded the Aux doors better, than simply linking them to throttle position? This is unrealisitic, doing 400 knots, and the doors are wdie open, just because the throttles are maxed

bazzar
May 11th, 2011, 05:00
thanks, I like your work too.

UKMIL
May 11th, 2011, 05:19
mate, the harrier is excellent, but just some small observations thats all. Payware these days needs to stand out from the crowd with those little touches, and coding aux doors with XML to work as they should is not difficult

bazzar
May 11th, 2011, 05:31
yes I'm sure you're right.

Dave Torkington
May 11th, 2011, 06:19
I'm liking the Harrier very much indeed... Congratulations to the Wilco team - a very nice product for a good price - and well done for responding to issues raised already!

I've assigned my X52 throttle slider to Prop Axis and VTOL stuff is managable with the gauge [shift + 6] visible. Having infinately variable nozzles is a bit weird though.

Otherwise superb :salute:

Dag
May 11th, 2011, 08:54
thanks, I like your work too.

Bazzar and Wilco, yours is my next purchase. It looks beautiful :icon_lol::wavey:

Thanks for the hard work

IanHenry
May 11th, 2011, 09:01
G'day Ian,

I believe the new version is available now.:engel016:
Thanks Bazzer, Credit card at the ready!

Ian.

ZsoltB
May 11th, 2011, 09:57
http://img857.imageshack.us/img857/9111/2011511195249140.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/857/2011511195249140.jpg/)

vonstroheim
May 11th, 2011, 10:04
I believe the new version is available now.

Is the new version called "HJJ FSX v10a" ? Or is it simply "HJJ FSX". There is two links in my order form. I've downloaded and installed the v10a... Did I get it right?

Thanks!

bazzar
May 11th, 2011, 14:29
http://img857.imageshack.us/img857/9111/2011511195249140.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/857/2011511195249140.jpg/)

Wow! and we haven't issued the paintkit yet! Fantastic mate.:applause:

bazzar
May 11th, 2011, 14:33
Is the new version called "HJJ FSX v10a" ? Or is it simply "HJJ FSX". There is two links in my order form. I've downloaded and installed the v10a... Did I get it right?

Thanks!

I'm not sure mate. Sorry to sound vague but we don't have anything t do with the release end of things at Wilco. I do know that they have the patch and I have been told that it is being incorporated in the latest download pack. ANyine who has downloaded in the last 24 shpould see the probe from the VC, if they have the upgrade pack.

There will be more improvements including the paiintkit coming in a day or two, so keep an eye out. Thanks for your interest, much appreciated.:engel016:

bazzar
May 11th, 2011, 14:38
I'm liking the Harrier very much indeed... Congratulations to the Wilco team - a very nice product for a good price - and well done for responding to issues raised already!

I've assigned my X52 throttle slider to Prop Axis and VTOL stuff is managable with the gauge [shift + 6] visible. Having infinately variable nozzles is a bit weird though.

Otherwise superb :salute:

Thanks very much for the kind words.
Yes it takes a bit of getting used to but we decided to go with the adjustable nozzle control over presets so that anyone with a less than perfect stick could adjust. Rob's new system is quite delicate to adjust but very precise in what it does. I'm waiting for somebody to do a video of their first airshow Royal "bow":engel016:

rcbarend
May 11th, 2011, 15:02
.... Having infinately variable nozzles is a bit weird though.

Hi Dave,
If you're used to all Harrier addons available since FS98 untill this one: yes, that may seem weird, since in all previous Harrier versions (as far as I know) nozzles were coupled to the FS (discrete) flaps function.
This, however, is how it works IRL. Sorry for the realisme :icon_lol:

BUt if you find it difficult to control the Nozzles precisely with an axis, try to use the keys as explained in the manual; or assign buttons on your stick that (repetitively) generates Proppitch Incr/Decr commands.

Alternatively, use the keys (or buttons) that generate Proppitch HighRPM and Proppitch LowRPM commands, which uses the "snap" function as explained in the manual. That way, you set the nozzles to any of 4 discrete postions:
- Min: 0 degrees rotation
- STO position (as set by the STO lever); default 50 degrees rotation.
- VTO position: 80 degrees rotation.
- Max: 98.5 degrees rotation.
Not as realistic, but easier and very precise ..

Hope that helps .....

Rob

Barfly
May 11th, 2011, 15:32
I deleted the original install and replaced with the 'a' version. The probe is viewable from the VC as you mention, didn't see any other changes.

delta_lima
May 11th, 2011, 15:47
Zsolt - looks awesome - I love the Norwegian Harrier/Jaguar schemes.

Pity I'm all out of discretionary funds at the moment - this Harrier is at the top of the "to buy" list.

thanks for the reviews - has definitely helped!

dl

rcbarend
May 11th, 2011, 15:54
I'm waiting for somebody to do a video of their first airshow Royal "bow":engel016:
I'd love to see such a video too :icon_lol: (unfortunately making video's in FS is not my expertise).

Maybe another pointer for those trying:
Whilst in a stable hover (0 airspeed, nozzles at 80 degrees, pitch attitude 6 degrees up, throttle (depending on weight) at a position where altitude remains constant):
- slowly push the stick forward, pitching down.
- at the same time, increase nozzles rotation to prevent the Harrier gaining airspeed because it's pitching down (and nozzles thrust isn't exactly vertical anymore).

And vice versa, to recover from the "bow".

In the perfect "bow", altitude/airspeed in-/decrease remains almost 0...

Try it..... far from easy (as IRL) but it CAN be done.... :icon_lol:

Rob

MDIvey
May 11th, 2011, 20:48
Rob

I really like the way you've done the VTOL here. It is more challenging to fly than the flaps method you used on my freeware Shar... but more realistic. I'm finding I'm getting used to using the keystokes method (CTL-F1 etc).

Barry

I read in the Manual you can have the refuelling probe on display and hidden...how do you do that? Couldnt find an instruction on that (dont mean its not there)

Matt

bazzar
May 11th, 2011, 22:42
Hi Matt,

The switch to toggle the probe is the first on in the row of small boxes on the left side of the cockpit, nearest the main panel and switch pod. No.47 in the manual guide.:engel016:

Chris Sykes
May 12th, 2011, 00:10
Hi Bazzar/Rob, can you confirm that when using the Ctrl + F1 keys there should be 4 settings??? I get the settings 0, 50(not sure this is at 50), 98. It doesnt select the 80 possition... Any reason why?

ZsoltB
May 12th, 2011, 01:51
http://img705.imageshack.us/img705/4285/2011512114654640.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/705/2011512114654640.jpg/)

AndyE1976
May 12th, 2011, 03:32
Loving the Harrier, it's the perfect aircraft to explore PNW if you don't have all day to cruise along at 100kts!

One thing though, the nav radios. In the manual it says it's not going to describe how these work as they should function as standard sim radios, however they don't really.

It seems that you have to activate the radio you want to use, but I've not been able to find a way to set the radial I want to fly (the 'Nav' button on the HSI doesn't seem to do anything). I did discover that if you have a flight plan loaded it will show a navigation diamond in the HUD with bearing and DME information, but I don't know whether that comes up if you just tune to a VOR as well.

Any chance that the manual could describe how these are meant to work?

bazzar
May 12th, 2011, 04:45
I don't see why not. I'll speak with Wilco and see if we can organise something. The radios are indeed based on default settings but of course they are not usually coupled to a HUD, there may be a need for some code between the two. Leave that one with us.:engel016:

MDIvey
May 12th, 2011, 05:53
Thanks Barry for tip on hiding, displaying the refueling probe...I'll give it a try

Matt

AndyE1976
May 12th, 2011, 05:58
I don't see why not. I'll speak with Wilco and see if we can organise something. The radios are indeed based on default settings but of course they are not usually coupled to a HUD, there may be a need for some code between the two. Leave that one with us.:engel016:

The HUD information was a nice surprise!

Is there a way to set the radial that the VOR is tracking?

Flyingsub
May 12th, 2011, 10:10
A lovely Birthday Present, thanks, many was the time when we had SHARs come out an "bow" to us when taking our warship out on family day (at least before I became a submariner).

My only moans are from the manual (but it is important to an ex-matelot to heap abuse on the right people)

1. the Fleet Air Arm are part of the Royal Navy (WAFUSs-Wet and F***ing useless in Jack speak) and not the RAF (crabs)

http://www.royalnavy.mod.uk/operations-and-support/fleet-air-arm/about-fleet-air-arm/index.htm

2. USAAF!!! I think that they disappeared back in 1947

Picky I know.

Dave Torkington
May 12th, 2011, 11:56
Hi Dave,
If you're used to all Harrier addons available since FS98 untill this one: yes, that may seem weird, since in all previous Harrier versions (as far as I know) nozzles were coupled to the FS (discrete) flaps function.

BUt if you find it difficult to control the Nozzles precisely with an axis, try to use the keys as explained in the manual; or assign buttons on your stick that (repetitively) generates Proppitch Incr/Decr commands.

Alternatively, use the keys (or buttons) that generate Proppitch HighRPM and Proppitch LowRPM commands, which uses the "snap" function as explained in the manual. That way, you set the nozzles to any of 4 discrete postions:

Hope that helps .....

Rob

Hi Rob,

Thanks very much for the guidance and explanation - I hope my comment about the nozzle travel being 'weird' didn't sound like a criticism... I honestly meant that it wasn't quite what I was expecting... As you say, since FS Creation every one I've seen had flaps / nozzles in unison.

I actually prefer having the realism with accurate nozzle control using my throttle slider... I'm guessing that the real world bird doesn't have 'gated' nozzle control in any of the variants? Flying with a buddy last night who had his nozzle setup to 'snap' to 50 / 80 / 98.5 I felt very confident in the transition from hover to forward flight, whereas the instant 'flick' to 50 deg. he experienced meant working hard with stick and throttle to keep level flight.

I thought you worked wonders with the FSX Osprey hover gauge, but the Harrier is so much more fun. :salute:

sketchy
May 12th, 2011, 12:29
1. the Fleet Air Arm are part of the Royal Navy (WAFUSs-Wet and F***ing useless in Jack speak) and not the RAF (crabs) Picky I know.

That is hardly picky! Wars have started for mistakes smaller than that!

It does look good I must admit.

Cheers,

Sketchy.

dmaloof
May 12th, 2011, 12:48
nice, can combat be done in this? or is it just fly around?

Chris Sykes
May 12th, 2011, 13:37
Hi Dave,

Hope that helps .....

Rob

Hi Rob,

This isnt working for me at all!!! Just been trying with the STO, and the Ctrl+F1/F4 which are set as you sugest from default...

All i can get is the following;
From 0 degrees, a Ctrl+F1 sets it to 30 Degress, another Ctrl+F1 sets it to 98.5 Degrees.
From 98.5 Degrees, a Ctrl+F4 sets it to 40 Degrees, another Ctrl+F4 sets it to 0 Degrees.
STO Leaver possitioning has no effect what so ever and i cannot move it past 70 Degrees in VC...

Some help would be apreciated as currently i cannot use the snap feature...

EDIT: i have just downloaded the latest FSUIPC but this didnt change anything...

rcbarend
May 12th, 2011, 15:01
I thought you worked wonders with the FSX Osprey hover gauge, but the Harrier is so much more fun. :salute:
Thanks ...
This V(S)TOL stuff is kind of my pet-project in FSX; so it will get better-and-better each time.
At least, that's the intention :icon_lol:

Cheers, Rob

dougal
May 12th, 2011, 15:44
Just gotta try posting some of the F-U-N this baby is providing. She performs like a.... Well, like a Harrier!

Gonna title these... 'Harrying Between The Layers'...

dougal
May 12th, 2011, 15:47
and...

rcbarend
May 12th, 2011, 15:47
Hi Rob,

This isnt working for me at all!!! Just been trying with the STO, and the Ctrl+F1/F4 which are set as you sugest from default...

All i can get is the following;
From 0 degrees, a Ctrl+F1 sets it to 30 Degress, another Ctrl+F1 sets it to 98.5 Degrees.
From 98.5 Degrees, a Ctrl+F4 sets it to 40 Degrees, another Ctrl+F4 sets it to 0 Degrees.
STO Leaver possitioning has no effect what so ever and i cannot move it past 70 Degrees in VC...

Some help would be apreciated as currently i cannot use the snap feature...

EDIT: i have just downloaded the latest FSUIPC but this didnt change anything...
Hi Chris,

Of course I'm willing to help solve this problem, although I can't understand yet why this happens with your particular setup. (has nothing to do with FSUIPC by the way).
So a few questions first; please answer all of them.

1. I assume you read the actual nozzle setting from the 2D-display gauge ??
(via menu Views-InstrumentPanel-VTOLgauge)

2. If you repeat this sequence of CTRL+F1 and CTRL+F4 a few times, does it always give the same result when you watch this display gauge ??

3. In menu Options-Settings-Controls, tab Button/Keys, is:
- CTRL+F1 assigned to function "Propeller (Low RPM)"
and
- CTRL+F4 assigned to function "Propeller (High RPM)"
??

4. What is the indicated framerate on your system when you try this ??
(press Shift-Z one or two times to have FSX display the actual Frames/Sec)

5.What's the interval time between two keypresses of CTRL+F1 or CTRL+F4 ??
(try at least 0.5 sec, so don't keep the keys depressed continuously)

6. And most important:
In menu Options-Settings-Controls, tab ControlAxis:
For ALL controllers in the pull-down list under ControllerType: is there ANY axis assigned to either the Event "Engine 1 propeller axis" or "Propeller axis" ??

Rob

dougal
May 12th, 2011, 15:49
last ones, and I have made them small...

bazzar
May 12th, 2011, 16:56
A lovely Birthday Present, thanks, many was the time when we had SHARs come out an "bow" to us when taking our warship out on family day (at least before I became a submariner).

My only moans are from the manual (but it is important to an ex-matelot to heap abuse on the right people)

1. the Fleet Air Arm are part of the Royal Navy (WAFUSs-Wet and F***ing useless in Jack speak) and not the RAF (crabs)

http://www.royalnavy.mod.uk/operations-and-support/fleet-air-arm/about-fleet-air-arm/index.htm

2. USAAF!!! I think that they disappeared back in 1947

Picky I know.

No, not picky at all. A couple of well-known typing errors (for Goons fans) slipping in. I'll get them changed.:icon_lol:

guzler
May 13th, 2011, 02:07
I'm not wanting to spend money on flight simming at the moment, but I feel my resistance is weak with this one !

ZsoltB
May 13th, 2011, 06:28
http://img856.imageshack.us/img856/2998/2011513162528984.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/856/2011513162528984.jpg/)
http://img5.imageshack.us/img5/8219/201151316422893.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/5/201151316422893.jpg/)

bruce448
May 13th, 2011, 06:58
I currently have not got this model at the moment, having spent nearly 15 years on the Harrier (RN FA2).

The auxiliary air intake doors look as though they are working the wrong way round from the screenies that I have seen, the door themselves are pivoted and free to move (ie no linkage control to the engine or control surfaces) and are used to give extra airflow into the engine at little or no fwd airspeed, fwd movement will cause an over-pressue within the intake and force the doors to close. See below

Static Engine

in the hover

Forward flight

Bruce

Chris Sykes
May 13th, 2011, 07:25
Rob, i will try to get on FSX tonight so i can report back to you with your questions, i could answer most of them but would like to make sure i get them right...

What i would say about the intake doors is that they are not the wrong way round, but wrongly implimented instead... coded to open at lower airspeeds would be more realistic than throttle movement... Bazzar is this coded in model or a XML code gauge???

dougal
May 13th, 2011, 09:05
I know it's in this thread somewhere, but rather than read the whole thing again, can someone remind me how to remove the fuel filler pipe?

Thanks

UKMIL
May 13th, 2011, 09:59
I currently have not got this model at the moment, having spent nearly 15 years on the Harrier (RN FA2).

The auxiliary air intake doors look as though they are working the wrong way round from the screenies that I have seen, the door themselves are pivoted and free to move (ie no linkage control to the engine or control surfaces) and are used to give extra airflow into the engine at little or no fwd airspeed, fwd movement will cause an over-pressue within the intake and force the doors to close. the main difference of the harrier, is that the doors as mentioned are on a hinge, and loose, so the upper ones simply fall open with gravity when static, and the lower ones stay closed with gravity, but on engine start, they are sucked open
See below

Static Engine

in the hover

Forward flight

Bruce

exactly what I said. I have over 20 years in the RAF and aux doors are the same on the harrier, tornado, jag etc. They work initially on air pressure in the intake, and thus get sucked open, but as forward speed increases, eventually the pressure equalisesk, and the doors are forced closed. As also mentioned, this is simple to reproduce in FSX, as I have done on my GR7 pack.
http://youtu.be/2kUiv_shk4k

I can happliy instruct how to make yours do this, for a percentage of sales:bump::kilroy:

peter12213
May 13th, 2011, 11:22
Zsolt your paints are stunning mate!!! Can you or someone do Sharkey Wards Harrier from the Falklands war?

Chris Sykes
May 13th, 2011, 11:31
Hi Chris,

Of course I'm willing to help solve this problem, although I can't understand yet why this happens with your particular setup. (has nothing to do with FSUIPC by the way).
So a few questions first; please answer all of them.

1. I assume you read the actual nozzle setting from the 2D-display gauge ??
(via menu Views-InstrumentPanel-VTOLgauge)

2. If you repeat this sequence of CTRL+F1 and CTRL+F4 a few times, does it always give the same result when you watch this display gauge ??

3. In menu Options-Settings-Controls, tab Button/Keys, is:
- CTRL+F1 assigned to function "Propeller (Low RPM)"
and
- CTRL+F4 assigned to function "Propeller (High RPM)"
??

4. What is the indicated framerate on your system when you try this ??
(press Shift-Z one or two times to have FSX display the actual Frames/Sec)

5.What's the interval time between two keypresses of CTRL+F1 or CTRL+F4 ??
(try at least 0.5 sec, so don't keep the keys depressed continuously)

6. And most important:
In menu Options-Settings-Controls, tab ControlAxis:
For ALL controllers in the pull-down list under ControllerType: is there ANY axis assigned to either the Event "Engine 1 propeller axis" or "Propeller axis" ??

Rob

Hi Rob,

Have just fired up FSX and checked these out...

Yes thats correct, using Shift+6, the 98.5 is 100 on the gauge if that confused you. After double checking on the first Ctrl+F1 it actually goes to about 24 Degrees from 0 Degrees
Yes thats correct, doesnt matter how many times i try same each time
Yes to both
A steady 12 - 15 FPS, either in VC or external view with gauge visable
More than 0.5 seconds
Yes under the title of "Saitek X52 Flight Control System" i have the "Propeller Axis" assigned, i have tried without this assigned and also as "Engine 1 Propeller Axis"
Hope you can figure this out!:salute:

AndyE1976
May 13th, 2011, 12:29
Zsolt your paints are stunning mate!!! Can you or someone do Sharkey Wards Harrier from the Falklands war?

It's in the pack, 007 from 801 Sqdn. According to his book that one had the best radar, but he didn't necessarily have one Harrier that was his.

rcbarend
May 13th, 2011, 14:00
Hi Rob,

Have just fired up FSX and checked these out...

Yes thats correct, using Shift+6, the 98.5 is 100 on the gauge if that confused you. After double checking on the first Ctrl+F1 it actually goes to about 24 Degrees from 0 Degrees
Yes thats correct, doesnt matter how many times i try same each time
Yes to both
A steady 12 - 15 FPS, either in VC or external view with gauge visable
More than 0.5 seconds
Yes under the title of "Saitek X52 Flight Control System" i have the "Propeller Axis" assigned, i have tried without this assigned and also as "Engine 1 Propeller Axis"
Hope you can figure this out!:salute:
No, this has me stumped ....:isadizzy:
First of all, when you have an axis for Prop lever on your stick (and actually use it), there's no point in using these "snap" keystrokes as well; reason for that is, that if you use a keystroke, obviously the lever is in the wrong position afterwards; even worse, if the lever "jitters" even a little bit in that position (which is quite normal if the lever is not in its idle position), FS immediately reacts to it and sets the new position again as dictated by the lever.

To exclude this possibility, can you please test the following exactly as described:

1. IMPORTANT: Remove ALL possible assigments to "Propeller axis" and "Engine 1 Propeller Axis"
For ALL controllers that FSX sees (under ControllerType).

2. Load the Harrier fresh, via menu Aircraft. Without doing anything else.

3. Open the VTOLgauge 2D window.
The green needle should indicate 0 degrees. Right ?

4. Now, press CTRL+F1 a few times, and after each keypress, observe the position of the green needle. At each keystroke it should progress to the next dotted green line.
(resp. at 50, 80, and 98 degrees).
If it doesn't, what values do you read on the display after each keypress ??

5. Same as 4. but now starting from full nozzles (98), and using CNTR+F4.

Maybe it appears you've already done this test, but I want to make sure that:
- The problem isn't caused by a Prop lever "jittering"; because there's nothing I can do about that.
- That this occurs also right after initial load, without having done anything with PropPitch or STOlever in the VC.
I'm afraid this is the only way I can pinpoint this problem, because (as far as I know) you appear to be the only person having this problem at the moment. By the way, that doesn't exclude the possibility of a "bug"; just that "something" behaves different on your setup, making it happen like you describe.
And I surely want to find out what's causing it .... So you have my full attention :icon_lol:

Rob

PS:
Just some additional info: the problem of "jittering" controller axis interfering with keystroke commands for the same function, is as old as FS itself. (not saying this is the case here of course).
I don't know how long you are a MSFS user, but if you have used various FS versions the frequently reported problem from users that can't activate "reverse thrust" on big airliners via F2, might ring a bell; and is another well-known example of the same problem: a "jittering" Throttle lever overriding F2 (Decrement throttle) commands, thus preventing activation of "reverse thrust".

dougal
May 13th, 2011, 14:06
Hi Rob

Just a quick 'hijack' here to say thanks for your PM re my Harrier use. Will indeed keep an eye open.

Having a 'ball' with it:applause::applause::applause:

PS Please remind me how to remove the fuel filler pipe?

Cheers

bazzar
May 13th, 2011, 15:52
Wonderful pics mate. If you go to page 7 of this thread, there's a pic from the manual, of where the switch is.:engel016:

bazzar
May 13th, 2011, 15:55
Changes to the aux doors are already done. We are doing some other stuff before the next update goes out. We have to try and include as many improvements as we can before the final boxed release.:engel016:

dvj
May 13th, 2011, 16:08
Ok, just got this last night.

Read instructions about 4 times - check
VTOL settings - check
Nozzles set to 80 - check
point into wind - check
parking break set - check
apply a little thrust - check
parking break releases - check

Aircraft does not rise, but moves forward.
Apply more thrust
Aircraft accellerates and perfroms STOL

Unable to hover.
I can maintain about 90 knots in forward movement with nozzles in 80 degree postion, but never a full stop and hover.

So what part of this am I missing?

AndyE1976
May 13th, 2011, 17:09

VTOL settings - check
point into wind - check

Apply more thrust

Unable to hover.
I can maintain about 90 knots in forward movement with nozzles in 80 degree postion, but never a full stop and hover.

If you're using a controller rather than the snap keys then try slightly moving the nozzles and also check your take off weight is less than 21000lbs.

On my CH Throttle Quadrant the 80deg mark is right at the idle indent, so I have to apply a little pressure to get it to rise vertically and not move forward or backwards. After a few take-offs in reverse and a bit of practice it's not too hard.

rcbarend
May 13th, 2011, 18:11

VTOL settings - check
point into wind - check

Apply more thrust

Unable to hover.

Sounds like FSUIPC isn't installed, or isn't working properly.
See the Manual.

- Do you have FSUIPC installed ??
In FSX menu line, there should be an item "Add-ons", with in it "FSUIPC".

- If so: what version is it ??
Click on FSUIPC and read the version number in the ABout tab.

Rob

rcbarend
May 13th, 2011, 18:37
On my CH Throttle Quadrant the 80deg mark is right at the idle indent, so I have to apply a little pressure to get it to rise vertically and not move forward or backwards.
Hi Andy,

Not sure what you mean by that.
Open the 2D "VTOLgauge" window, and check this:
1. If the CH Proppitch lever is fully back (0%), the green needle in the display gauge should indicate about 98 degrees.
2. If the CH Proppitch lever is fully forward (100%), the green needle in the display gauge should indicate 0 degrees.

If 1. or 2. fails, your Proppitch lever isn't calibrated properly ...

Also, if the green needle in display gauge indicates 80 degrees, your stick/yoke is centered and ParkingBrakes are Off, the aircraft should hardly move forward or backward on the ground; at sufficient throttle, it should only lift off vertically, unless you are too heavy for vertical takeoff. But if too heavy, it should not accellerate.

Rob

dvj
May 13th, 2011, 19:23
Sounds like FSUIPC isn't installed, or isn't working properly.
See the Manual.

- Do you have FSUIPC installed ??
In FSX menu line, there should be an item "Add-ons", with in it "FSUIPC".

- If so: what version is it ??
Click on FSUIPC and read the version number in the ABout tab.

Rob

Egad! My FSUIPC was completely missing. I did some recent software updates. It must have been deleted. Anyway. All is fine now. Totally different "feel" to the aircraft. Amazing, just Amazing! :salute::salute::salute:

Ian Warren
May 13th, 2011, 21:10
I also found i had a corrupt d/load , maybe simply the rush to the store , HU would work nor in-cockpit switch,s , re-downloaded and it acts like the little bubble bee its spose to be , course intakes and nose ground point a little out - the patch will fix that but dang is it a lotta fun landing in vertical :jump:

dougal
May 14th, 2011, 03:35
Wonderful pics mate. If you go to page 7 of this thread, there's a pic from the manual, of where the switch is.:engel016:

Thanks, and sorry to have missed such an easy one.

I know there a few who seem unhappy with one or two items, but I think you guys 'ROCK' with this baby.

Hope you're proud of it - it's a corker that can only get even better:jump::salute:

JIMJAM
May 14th, 2011, 07:16
I was also a "never again" Wilco buyer but the harrier was to much to resist. Good intitial reviews and imo a REASONABLE price. 35 bucks and I will give something a try but those creeping up on 50 and above forget it.
Pleasantly surprised the flight model is the best vtol/stol Ive personally ran across. I use X52 and asigned the cnt f1 and cnt f4 to the3 way on the throttle next to the big E. That works the gates or presets. The prop axis is just over the other side,a little slider. It controls the nozzles smoothly up and down. I am only taken a few familiarization flights and a few times I was getting twisted up and confused. I think moving that slider and changing the position of the nozzles and then using the f1/f4 switch was causing some wierdness. So know I always return the slider to the 0 postion before using the gates.
Only thing I do not like is that as anyone knows some planes work really well with Trackir and some do not. Most P-51s and a few others its like you have your face right up against the panel. When flying its really diffucult to scan any of the instrumentation. I have a hard coded habit and scanning pattern including the hsi,engine ect. Alot of the warbirds are the same way so I do not fault the harrier. I am however getting some wierd canopy blurring,bending, hard to describe. I thinks it suposed to be reflections,add texture to the glass, I dunno but it failed. I want clear,clean glass with no distortion.
I admit I know very little about tweeking and modifying the trackir views so if there is something I can do PLZ let me know. All I can do now is back of the view to 50% which brings more of the panel into view but not much.
This is a fun,vrf heads out the cockpit plane mostly anyways and I am enjoying it. I agree with some other posters that if you can run the heavy hitters, system deep airliners you can run this one. For those wary of Wilco for what ever reason and always wanted to try the Harrier, this is a fun,systems light, very controllable,fun plane at a realistic price.:salute:

vonstroheim
May 14th, 2011, 08:40
... as flaps are indeed automatic why not re-assign your flaps controller?

This is a good suggestion bazzar, so I assigned the PROP_PITCH_LO and PROP_PITCH_HI functions to the joystick buttons I usually use for flaps.

But when I'm not flying the Harrier, and since I'm too lazy to reassign the keys to have flaps again, I've made 2 profiles and a little script to switch from one profile to the other.

The FSX file with all the assignments is called "Standard.xml" and is located in the "Control" folder (this folder is in the same location as your fsx.cfg). So this control folder looks like this now:

The Standard-Default.xml is an exact copy of my original Standard.xml, with flaps assigned to my buttons 4 and 5.

And in the Default-Harrier.xml profile, somewhere in my logitech joystick section there is this (you may have many sections here, look for your current joystick name!)

The "Fly-Harrier.cmd" script contains this command:

copy Standard-Harrier.xml Standard.xml /yThe "Fly-default.cmd" is:

copy Standard-Default.xml Standard.xml /yOf course you'll have to restart FSX each time you want to fly another aircraft (by double clicking on the proper "cmd" file or shorcut)...

But I've been flying nothing but the Wilco Harrier for days!

dougal
May 14th, 2011, 09:20
I'm guessing that with a registered version FSUIPC, it would be a MUCH simpler method to just create a Harrier profile. That would do away with having to restart FSX at least.

JIMJAM
May 14th, 2011, 09:51
Ok am I missing something. I cannot make sense of the gear indicator. Gear down and they are red. RED is BAD. Gear up and they go out. I see a few other lights,caution that lights up but I cannot make heads or tails out of it. Where is the speed brake control or indicator? You need to know if you have that big ol barn door hanging out there and I cannot seem to find it.

IanHenry
May 14th, 2011, 11:13
I love the Harrier, and I’m looking forward to some of the talented painters uploading their art.
One question, how doe you get the weapons etc to show on the pylons? I’m sure it must be me, but I can’t see it in the manual.
<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p> </o:p>
Regards,
Ian.

vonstroheim
May 14th, 2011, 12:45
http://img4.hostingpics.net/pics/193456HarrierAeronavale.jpg

http://img4.hostingpics.net/pics/829363HarrierAeronavale2.jpg

This can't be serious... This is what one does on a rainy saturday afternoon when girlfriend is not in town...

AndyE1976
May 14th, 2011, 15:32
Hi Andy,

Not sure what you mean by that.
Open the 2D "VTOLgauge" window, and check this:
1. If the CH Proppitch lever is fully back (0%), the green needle in the display gauge should indicate about 98 degrees.
2. If the CH Proppitch lever is fully forward (100%), the green needle in the display gauge should indicate 0 degrees.

If 1. or 2. fails, your Proppitch lever isn't calibrated properly ...

Also, if the green needle in display gauge indicates 80 degrees, your stick/yoke is centered and ParkingBrakes are Off, the aircraft should hardly move forward or backward on the ground; at sufficient throttle, it should only lift off vertically, unless you are too heavy for vertical takeoff. But if too heavy, it should not accellerate.

Rob

Hi Rob,

On the CH Throttle Quadrant there is an idel indent about 1/4" from the full back position (equivalent to the 98deg position on the nozzles). It just so happens the indent coincides with the position for 80degs.

I could recalibrate it so it moves, but it's actually quite convenient as it works as a hover stop. The only issue is that it is at about 79deg nozzle so a little pressure is required to get the perfect 80deg otherwise there's a little forward or backwards movement.

The new VTOL gauge works great.

Andy

rcbarend
May 14th, 2011, 18:04
Hi Rob,

On the CH Throttle Quadrant there is an idel indent about 1/4" from the full back position (equivalent to the 98deg position on the nozzles). It just so happens the indent coincides with the position for 80degs.

I could recalibrate it so it moves, but it's actually quite convenient as it works as a hover stop. The only issue is that it is at about 79deg nozzle so a little pressure is required to get the perfect 80deg otherwise there's a little forward or backwards movement.

The new VTOL gauge works great.

Andy
Hi Andy,

NOW I understand what you ment :icon_lol:
Didn't know that function of the CH throttle; I guess that's used for reverse thrust if you use the lever as throttle ..

Rob

ronvking
May 15th, 2011, 02:41
Ian,

To the left of the radar there's a bank of 5 switches in a line. Thats the weapons console and when you have the light in red it has a weapon on the pylon. Nice way of doing it although not yet checked to see if it alters the weight of the aircraft. Switches are numbered 6 in the manual.

Rgds Ron

ronvking
May 15th, 2011, 02:45
Hi Folks,

On the main page on the website it says a paint kit is provided. Any one tell me where is gets located after installation as I cant see it 0or the want of looking, or is it just the DDS files in the texture folder.

Thanks Ron

IanHenry
May 15th, 2011, 04:01
Ian,

To the left of the radar there's a bank of 5 switches in a line. Thats the weapons console and when you have the light in red it has a weapon on the pylon. Nice way of doing it although not yet checked to see if it alters the weight of the aircraft. Switches are numbered 6 in the manual.

Rgds Ron

Thanks Ron.

Ian

bazzar
May 15th, 2011, 04:21
Hi Folks,

On the main page on the website it says a paint kit is provided. Any one tell me where is gets located after installation as I cant see it 0or the want of looking, or is it just the DDS files in the texture folder.

Thanks Ron

Hi Ron,

We're still working on the paintkit, hope top have it up tomorrow.:engel016:

Stickshaker
May 15th, 2011, 05:14
Barry, I made several flights with the Harrier and I would like it very much if there had not been one grave disappointment. The HUD is NOT collimated, merely adjustable. As is explained in the manual, with the normal cockpit view, you have to get the horizon line on the right spot by adjusting your seat position with the fullscreen HUD mode. It is even stated that you should do this in flight because of the angle of the plane while sitting on the ground. So when I move my head or re-center my TrackIR, I have to re-adjust the HUD again.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
I find this unacceptable for a payware product of this price in this day and age. There is not a recent payware plane that I know of (except those of Wilco; the Airbus series) that does not have a collimated HUD in normal cockpit view. This was already the case with the Aerosoft F-16 and even the VRS Superbug for FS2004. On one of the SOH forums there even was a tutorial on how to make collimated HUDs. Soe pages ago in this present thread you said that the HUD was collimated ‘insofar as possible within FSX’. This obviously is not the case. Or am I missing something? Even if the fullscreen HUD is collimated (it is not, at least if TrackIR is working), the HUD that really counts (the one in cockpit view) is not at all up to the standard I feel we can expect from a payware product. The HUD is not some nice-to-have gadget; for many real – and possibly simulator - pilots it is the primary flight instrument.<o:p></o:p>
This is really a pity, for I thoroughly enjoy many other aspects of the aircraft, especially the VTOL and STOVL operations. I hope the HUD collimation will be addressed in a patch.<o:p></o:p>

vonstroheim
May 15th, 2011, 12:53
I'm guessing that with a registered version FSUIPC, it would be a MUCH simpler method to just create a Harrier profile. That would do away with having to restart FSX at least.

Brilliant idea! But how would you do that exactly? Did anybody tried?

dougal
May 15th, 2011, 13:03
Sorry to be a .... but, it's in the FSUIPC users manual. You MUST remember though to edit the FSUIPC.ini file FIRST, and change 'UseProfiles' from No to Yes.

bazzar
May 15th, 2011, 14:46
Barry, I made several flights with the Harrier and I would like it very much if there had not been one grave disappointment. The HUD is NOT collimated, merely adjustable. As is explained in the manual, with the normal cockpit view, you have to get the horizon line on the right spot by adjusting your seat position with the fullscreen HUD mode. It is even stated that you should do this in flight because of the angle of the plane while sitting on the ground. So when I move my head or re-center my TrackIR, I have to re-adjust the HUD again.<!--?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /--><o:p></o:p>
I find this unacceptable for a payware product of this price in this day and age. There is not a recent payware plane that I know of (except those of Wilco; the Airbus series) that does not have a collimated HUD in normal cockpit view. This was already the case with the Aerosoft F-16 and even the VRS Superbug for FS2004. On one of the SOH forums there even was a tutorial on how to make collimated HUDs. Soe pages ago in this present thread you said that the HUD was collimated ‘insofar as possible within FSX’. This obviously is not the case. Or am I missing something? Even if the fullscreen HUD is collimated (it is not, at least if TrackIR is working), the HUD that really counts (the one in cockpit view) is not at all up to the standard I feel we can expect from a payware product. The HUD is not some nice-to-have gadget; for many real – and possibly simulator - pilots it is the primary flight instrument.<o:p></o:p>
This is really a pity, for I thoroughly enjoy many other aspects of the aircraft, especially the VTOL and STOVL operations. I hope the HUD collimation will be addressed in a patch.<o:p></o:p>

The HUD was created using two things. The first is Eric Marciano's excellent HUD gauge system, for which we were not responsible, the second is the simple 3D "collimated" HUD geometry for which we were. Until somebody develops a gauge solution for collimation that's the way it is done. This is what I meant by "in the constraints of FSX".

If it is not to people's liking, it needs to be adjusted, which we can certainly do in the upgrade. However, I do wish poeple would not keep calling it "collimated". Three dimesnional "focus" is not possible in two dimensional pixel worlds like FSX. Can you imagine what would be possible of it were? I'm talking about non-gadget, non-Track IR, just straight FSX as you see it out of the box.

The current solution is crafty and simple but it is not true collimation. It simply positions the HUD further out from the nose of the aircraft on a visual plane which is animated and set at the eyepoint.

Track IR is a brilliant thing but it is sometimes a double-edged sword for developers. We cannot keep cramming in more and more detail to VCs for example, to suit Track IR users. Sooner or later we'll be modeling the nuts around the back of the instrument panel that hold it on!

My point there is that we set the HUD up for people without Track IR. If you'd like it further out, that's an easy fix. But it is not true collimation.

ronvking
May 16th, 2011, 03:03
Bazzar,

Thanks, thought the paint kit was out given the repaints seen already. Look forward to it.

Hope you don't mind but a couple of things for consideration.

1/ The cockpit reflections just don't do it for me. Just appears too streaky, would rather have clean glass, perhaps a later option?

2/ While in the VC I prefer to have the nozzle gauge showing as makes hovered flight much better. However if you leave that view and later return the gauge needs to be reset again. Thats a pain although to be fair I don't know if that's an FSX'ism which one has to put up with.

All round though I like this aircraft and have managed some nice hovering flights around the airfield at Cottesmore.

10 out of 5 :-)

Cheers Ron

IanHenry
May 16th, 2011, 08:45
Ron, try this, I did and it works a treat.

Ian.

Chris Sykes
May 16th, 2011, 11:03
No, this has me stumped ....:isadizzy:
First of all, when you have an axis for Prop lever on your stick (and actually use it), there's no point in using these "snap" keystrokes as well; reason for that is, that if you use a keystroke, obviously the lever is in the wrong position afterwards; even worse, if the lever "jitters" even a little bit in that position (which is quite normal if the lever is not in its idle position), FS immediately reacts to it and sets the new position again as dictated by the lever.

To exclude this possibility, can you please test the following exactly as described:

1. IMPORTANT: Remove ALL possible assigments to "Propeller axis" and "Engine 1 Propeller Axis"
For ALL controllers that FSX sees (under ControllerType).

2. Load the Harrier fresh, via menu Aircraft. Without doing anything else.

3. Open the VTOLgauge 2D window.
The green needle should indicate 0 degrees. Right ?

4. Now, press CTRL+F1 a few times, and after each keypress, observe the position of the green needle. At each keystroke it should progress to the next dotted green line.
(resp. at 50, 80, and 98 degrees).
If it doesn't, what values do you read on the display after each keypress ??

5. Same as 4. but now starting from full nozzles (98), and using CNTR+F4.

Maybe it appears you've already done this test, but I want to make sure that:
- The problem isn't caused by a Prop lever "jittering"; because there's nothing I can do about that.
- That this occurs also right after initial load, without having done anything with PropPitch or STOlever in the VC.
I'm afraid this is the only way I can pinpoint this problem, because (as far as I know) you appear to be the only person having this problem at the moment. By the way, that doesn't exclude the possibility of a "bug"; just that "something" behaves different on your setup, making it happen like you describe.
And I surely want to find out what's causing it .... So you have my full attention :icon_lol:

Rob

PS:
Just some additional info: the problem of "jittering" controller axis interfering with keystroke commands for the same function, is as old as FS itself. (not saying this is the case here of course).
I don't know how long you are a MSFS user, but if you have used various FS versions the frequently reported problem from users that can't activate "reverse thrust" on big airliners via F2, might ring a bell; and is another well-known example of the same problem: a "jittering" Throttle lever overriding F2 (Decrement throttle) commands, thus preventing activation of "reverse thrust".

Hi Rob, got me too! I have even redownloaded and reinstalled! I have done as you asked, had already tried without the axis assignment, here is what i got.

Done
Check
Check, 0 Degrees showing
First Ctrl+F1= 50 Degrees Second Ctrl+F1 = 98.5 Degrees! No more changes...
First Ctrl+F1= 0 Degrees, doesnt stop at any in between
Any further Ctrl+F1/F4 go from 0 to 98.5 and back...

No jittering experienced with the Axis assigned only when the null was moved...

Also i disabled all the DLL's and EXE's except the Harrier Hud from running... Im stumped!:kilroy:

Stickshaker
May 16th, 2011, 11:03
The HUD was created using two things. The first is Eric Marciano's excellent HUD gauge system, for which we were not responsible, the second is the simple 3D "collimated" HUD geometry for which we were. Until somebody develops a gauge solution for collimation that's the way it is done. This is what I meant by "in the constraints of FSX".

If it is not to people's liking, it needs to be adjusted, which we can certainly do in the upgrade. However, I do wish poeple would not keep calling it "collimated". Three dimesnional "focus" is not possible in two dimensional pixel worlds like FSX. Can you imagine what would be possible of it were? I'm talking about non-gadget, non-Track IR, just straight FSX as you see it out of the box.

The current solution is crafty and simple but it is not true collimation. It simply positions the HUD further out from the nose of the aircraft on a visual plane which is animated and set at the eyepoint.

Track IR is a brilliant thing but it is sometimes a double-edged sword for developers. We cannot keep cramming in more and more detail to VCs for example, to suit Track IR users. Sooner or later we'll be modeling the nuts around the back of the instrument panel that hold it on!

My point there is that we set the HUD up for people without Track IR. If you'd like it further out, that's an easy fix. But it is not true collimation.

Barry, thanks for the answer. It’s not the focus to infinity that matters, it is the fact that the horizon line etc. do not remain in the right position relative to the outside world if you move your head. All recent payware products that I know of deliver on this and it is the accepted interpretation of ‘collimated’, also in this FSX forum. The focal point issue is irrelevant as far as I know since in a sim the inside and outside world are at the same distance from the viewer, except when you have a projection screen or something like that.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
I find the reasoning rather strange that you are not responsible for parts that you use in your product. If you let a contractor build a house for you, do you accept that the heating is not working because a subcontractor installed it so the main contractor is not responsible?<o:p></o:p>
And if you design a payware product for serious simmers while assuming that they do not use TrackIR it is perhaps a good idea to make this very clear to everyone who is tempted to buy it. <o:p></o:p>

rcbarend
May 16th, 2011, 13:22
Hi Rob, got me too! I have even redownloaded and reinstalled! I have done as you asked, had already tried without the axis assignment, here is what i got.

Done
Check
Check, 0 Degrees showing
First Ctrl+F1= 50 Degrees Second Ctrl+F1 = 98.5 Degrees! No more changes...
First Ctrl+F1= 0 Degrees, doesnt stop at any in between
Any further Ctrl+F1/F4 go from 0 to 98.5 and back...

No jittering experienced with the Axis assigned only when the null was moved...

Also i disabled all the DLL's and EXE's except the Harrier Hud from running... Im stumped!:kilroy:
Hi Chris,
Since you appear to be the only user (sofar) with this problem, I need to do some serious thinking what might cause this on your PC.
Especially since the first time works diffrently then the next times you try.

One more question:
- Do you have a registered version of FSUIPC ?
- And if so, does it have any functions on, like suppression of continous events, or axis-smooting for the proppitch axis ??
I believe the registered version of FSUIPC has such functions, and (when used) might interfere with how my code works.
- To exclude this possibility (ONLY if you have the registered version), what you can try:
While FSX is not running, temporarily move the FSUIPC.dll out of the \Modules folder to somewhere outside the FSX folder structure. Then start FSX and try the test again.
(of course VTOL won't work now, but it's only trying to find out IF FSUIPC has anything to do with it). Because if so, I'm sure I can make a workaround.

Rob

bazzar
May 16th, 2011, 14:33
Excuse me for butting in here chaps but could it be that you are moving the STO lever to different positions each time? If you are then the snap function keystrokes will place the nozzles lever at the position you left the STO.:engel016:

bazzar
May 16th, 2011, 14:47
Barry, thanks for the answer. It’s not the focus to infinity that matters, it is the fact that the horizon line etc. do not remain in the right position relative to the outside world if you move your head. All recent payware products that I know of deliver on this and it is the accepted interpretation of ‘collimated’, also in this FSX forum. The focal point issue is irrelevant as far as I know since in a sim the inside and outside world are at the same distance from the viewer, except when you have a projection screen or something like that.<!--?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /--><o:p></o:p>
I find the reasoning rather strange that you are not responsible for parts that you use in your product. If you let a contractor build a house for you, do you accept that the heating is not working because a subcontractor installed it so the main contractor is not responsible?<o:p></o:p>
And if you design a payware product for serious simmers while assuming that they do not use TrackIR it is perhaps a good idea to make this very clear to everyone who is tempted to buy it. <o:p></o:p>
<o:p></o:p>

Firstly, by "responsible" I mean that we did not build the HUD, that is all. Of course we are responsible for the end product, that is why we do patches and upgrades. Thankyou for your analogy of the building trade but after 12 successful years in this business I do understand what the word "responsible" means.

Secondly, The HUD is made with the exact same system everyone else is using.It is a simple business of varying the distance of the "projection"screen from the HUD screen that provides the illusion of depth and movement relative to your eyeline.

To prove to you that we have used this common system, the HUD itself, using this system will "float" as the aircraft moves about its horizontal axis. If you look closely, when you say,climb, you will see the HUD "slide"down the HUD screen.

All that remains is to make the distance of the floating screen appropriate to the aircraft and eyepoint so that you can move your eyepoint and see the HUD move with it.

For your purposes we have not moved it further out. That is all that is "wrong" here and has nothing to do with "serious simmers", Track IR or anything else. The distance has been altered and will be available to you in the next upgrade, probably at the end of this week.

peter12213
May 16th, 2011, 15:19
Just to butt in also but I'm using windows 7 64Bit with GTS250 with FSUIPC4.30 registered and I have 3 settings for nossles using ctrl F1/F4 Using the nossle preset leaver I can choose which position in degrees I want for the First hit of ctrl+F1, Everything working fine here an absolute dream! :salute:

bazzar
May 16th, 2011, 15:37
Thanks Pete. An enterprising owner with paint skills could set up their own STO lever positions for various manoeuvres and record them on the quadrant for further future use....

I guess we could include the quadrant texture in the painkit (?):engel016:

bazzar
May 16th, 2011, 16:01
For those interested, the auxilliary intake doors now work as they should.

Shots show, 1) Engine off with the doors flopped shut from about halfway down.2) Engine running on ground, doors opened by suction. 3) About 120kias pressure equalising 4) Normal flight, intake pressure closed doors.

Hope that will fit the bill.:engel016:

AndyE1976
May 16th, 2011, 16:08
Looks good to me!

Do you know when the update will be released?

peter12213
May 16th, 2011, 16:48
Yeah thats it, not that I was bothered either way, but thats how it should be mate! Looks awesome!!! Just one thing to ask, more as a pilot than anything else but what fuel setting do you guys find best for carrier landings with tanks and Aim9's? Around 20 30 to 40% fuel?

I flew a sortie from Yeovilton with minimal fuel and think it was 30 for the centres and 15 for wings and did not run out, just interested what you guys are using!

vonstroheim
May 16th, 2011, 17:09
...We're still working on the paintkit, hope to have it up tomorrow.

http://img11.hostingpics.net/pics/471653CFWilcoHarrier.jpg

It's going to be much easier with the paint kit for sure... In the meantime, slapping some CF mapple leaves here and there is fun! 'Roos (RAAF) and kiwis (RNZAF) coming... why not RNLAF... landing on a NL2000 oil rig is fun with the Wilco Harrier too!

peter12213
May 16th, 2011, 17:15
What have you done to my baby Ludovic lol! :wavey:

Ian Warren
May 16th, 2011, 17:18
Its well tried and tested with multiplay in New Zealand :salute:
http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m31/Ian_Warren/2010%20Flightsim/1Custom-19.jpg
http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m31/Ian_Warren/2010%20Flightsim/3Custom-17.jpg
http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m31/Ian_Warren/2010%20Flightsim/4Custom-13.jpg
http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m31/Ian_Warren/2010%20Flightsim/5Custom-11.jpg
http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m31/Ian_Warren/2010%20Flightsim/7Custom-5.jpg
:wiggle:

bazzar
May 16th, 2011, 17:54
Wow!!!!

bazzar
May 16th, 2011, 17:56
Paintkit will now be included in the upgrade which should be up later this week or very early next.:engel016:

Chris Sykes
May 17th, 2011, 00:09
Hi Chris,
Since you appear to be the only user (sofar) with this problem, I need to do some serious thinking what might cause this on your PC.
Especially since the first time works diffrently then the next times you try.

One more question:
- Do you have a registered version of FSUIPC ?
- And if so, does it have any functions on, like suppression of continous events, or axis-smooting for the proppitch axis ??
I believe the registered version of FSUIPC has such functions, and (when used) might interfere with how my code works.
- To exclude this possibility (ONLY if you have the registered version), what you can try:
While FSX is not running, temporarily move the FSUIPC.dll out of the \Modules folder to somewhere outside the FSX folder structure. Then start FSX and try the test again.
(of course VTOL won't work now, but it's only trying to find out IF FSUIPC has anything to do with it). Because if so, I'm sure I can make a workaround.

Rob
Hi rob,

Yes i have it registered but from IIRC i font have any of those you mentioned but will check... Ill remove FSUIPC from FSX but what should be happening when i do?

Regards

Chris

rcbarend
May 17th, 2011, 04:04
Hi rob,

Yes i have it registered but from IIRC i font have any of those you mentioned but will check... Ill remove FSUIPC from FSX but what should be happening when i do?

Regards

Chris
It is just to check whether FSUIPC has anything to do or not, with this funny CTRLF1/F4 behaviour you observe.
So just MOVE the file fsuipc.dll from the \Modules folder to a folder outside the FSX tree structure (so FSX can't find/load it). DOn't DELETE the file, just move it.
Then start FSX. load the Harrier, and do the CNTR+F1/F4 test again.
- If it works OK now, we know there is a relation with how FSUIPC works (NOT saying it's a bug in FSUIPC, just a clash of functionalities). And I have to find out why.
- If it's still the same problem, at least I know it has nothing to do with FSUIPC functionality.

After you've done the CNTR+F1/F4 test, exit FSX and move the file FSUIPC.dll back into the /Modules folder again.

Rob

Chris Sykes
May 17th, 2011, 04:48
For those interested, the auxilliary intake doors now work as they should.

Shots show, 1) Engine off with the doors flopped shut from about halfway down.2) Engine running on ground, doors opened by suction. 3) About 120kias pressure equalising 4) Normal flight, intake pressure closed doors.

Hope that will fit the bill.:engel016:

Looking good on the intake doors!!! Is there possiblity of having more varied/custom loadouts? Would be cool to zoom around with 4x rocket pods instead of 2...

Thanks Rob, will be checking this out ASAP!

svenks
May 17th, 2011, 04:55
Hi Guys
I don't show up too often in these forum, but this seems to be the place for Harrier Praise & Support.
First the Praise: I think you've done a bl**dy marvellous job here. I've tried a couple of other Harrier 'hacks', but this actually feels right (AFAIK). It's still not easy to land vertically, but that also feels right. Did a flight Stornoway-Bergen and then all the way up to Cape North at low altitude and 500 kts - great fun. And of course, I did a couple of landings on my way just to check it out!
Then a few questions/comments:
1) My HYD LOW light is always on - what can I do?
2) Once you have selected a target, the rectangle stays on the HUD, even if your target is now 100+ miles behind you. It's not a biggie, but it is annoying as it flipping up and down and from side to side of the HUD.

BRGDS
Sven Sorensen, EKCH

bazzar
May 17th, 2011, 05:07
Hi Sven,

The hydraulics are cured by navigating to the [Hydraulics] section in the Aircraft CFG.

and using this value:

normal_pressure=3000.000000

During all the to and fro of editing FDs, the poor old thing lost all its hydraulics!

The collimation is being revised for the HUD so things will change there.:engel016:

bazzar
May 17th, 2011, 05:11
Looking good on the intake doors!!! Is there possiblity of having more varied/custom loadouts? Would be cool to zoom around with 4x rocket pods instead of 2...

We're running out of polys but I'll have a look Chris.The loadouts as you know are managed from the weapons panel which is modeled on the real thing. I'm not sure we want to add more switches so we've got to box clever with the pylons.:engel016:

svenks
May 17th, 2011, 05:23
Hi Sven,

The hydraulics are cured by navigating to the [Hydraulics] section in the Aircraft CFG.

and using this value:

During all the to and fro of editing FDs, the poor old thing lost all its hydraulics!

The collimation is being revised for the HUD so things will change there.:engel016:

My! - That was quick!
Thanks a lot, BRGDS
Sven

Chris Sykes
May 17th, 2011, 06:30
We're running out of polys but I'll have a look Chris.The loadouts as you know are managed from the weapons panel which is modeled on the real thing. I'm not sure we want to add more switches so we've got to box clever with the pylons.:engel016:

Thanks Bazzar, just a note as i was only wanting to fly without the tanks the other night but looks odd without them...

Chris Sykes
May 17th, 2011, 09:37

Haha Rob, dumb man here missed i had prop pitch set in FSUIPC, cleared this after moving DLL which worked! Thanks for your help in this!!! Should get some specs!

rcbarend
May 17th, 2011, 13:39
Haha Rob, dumb man here missed i had prop pitch set in FSUIPC, cleared this after moving DLL which worked! Thanks for your help in this!!! Should get some specs!
Which explains what happens .... But glad you got it solved.
And thanks for reporting back.
Helps me to asking the right questions in case others have this (or a simular) problem.

:ernae: Rob

bazzar
May 17th, 2011, 14:33
Inspector Barendregt solves another case..:icon_lol:.

rcbarend
May 17th, 2011, 15:16
Inspector Barendregt solves another case..:icon_lol:.
Actually, I didn't solve anything :icon_lol:
I only proved that my "snap" code and the prop axis setting in FSUIPC don't get along.

Have to consult Pete about that, to understand the "why".
And if I understand the "why", I can probably make a fix to avoid this.

At least for now, we know the "bypass" :icon_lol:

Chris Sykes
May 18th, 2011, 00:00
Which explains what happens .... But glad you got it solved.
And thanks for reporting back.
Helps me to asking the right questions in case others have this (or a simular) problem.

Yeah haha totally missed it! Now i can land on carriers easier! :applause:

Chris Sykes
May 18th, 2011, 07:07
Something i forgot to mention was the G meter in the VC, seems not to be reading correctly, if at all seems to be measuring not G's but AOA??? got a pic at home on the PC if required?

ronvking
May 18th, 2011, 08:03
Wanted to make a slow ILS approach to Cottesmore. Captured the ILS OK but when I moved the nozzles the autopilot disconnected.

Playing around it seems that the autopilot will only keep itself connected when the nozzles are fully aft. Is that correct?

Also found that when autostarting (Ctrl+E) that when the engine is up and running the brakes release themselves. Not nice when parked and wanting to go through any preflight checks.

Cheers Ron

rcbarend
May 18th, 2011, 09:08
Wanted to make a slow ILS approach to Cottesmore. Captured the ILS OK but when I moved the nozzles the autopilot disconnected.

Playing around it seems that the autopilot will only keep itself connected when the nozzles are fully aft. Is that correct?

Also found that when autostarting (Ctrl+E) that when the engine is up and running the brakes release themselves. Not nice when parked and wanting to go through any preflight checks.

Cheers Ron
Hi Ron,

- About Autopilot:
Yes, correct. That is: it is programmed that way.

- ParkingBrakes switching OFF:
They shouldn't be released during Autostart.
- Are you sure you have set your throttle to Idle ?
- And if so, is your Throttle lever calibrated correctly ? (meaning that if the lever is at idle, it actually gives a zero value). Try increasing the Null zone a bit for the Throttle axis, in menu Options- Controls, and see if that help.
Also (depending on the type of joystick/yoke/throttle quadrant, and drivers for it, you use): sometimes, immediately after load and without moving a controller lever, FSX startsup with a lever value of 50% even if the lever is at Idle position.
Only remedy is to move the lever a bit, so FSX "sees" the actual value.
E.g: I have this problem myself with a home-built (gameport) throttle quadrant, connected via a USB convertor.

If you're interrested, some background info.
Both things have to do with the lack of support in MSFS for non-longitudinal thrust.
Hence, in this Harrier two flightmodels are used, which obviously have some limitations in transitioning from one FDE to the other:
- The "normal" FS FDE, active when nozzles are at 0 and ParkingBrakes are SET.
- My gauge-coded "V(S)TOL" FDE, active when nozzles are out of 0 position, or ParkingBrakes are OFF.
Implementing an AP function in my gauge-coded FDE, is a step too far at the moment.
Beside, I'm sure (but somebody will correct me if I'm wrong :icon_lol:) a real Harrier cannot fly on AP when the pilot is manipulating the nozzles.
This also explains why the ParkingBrakes are automatically set OFF when thrust is above a certain level; if not, the Harrier (in FSX) would shoot through it's brakes, even in VTOL configuration, because the "normal" FS flightmodel is still active.

Hope this helps ...

Rob

Dag
May 18th, 2011, 11:51
Please publish the date when all is updated. I've been holding purchase until everything is the way it should be. I have not followed the thread here in detail but I want this aircraft badly :-) (The repaint kit too..)

Thanks for the hard work

fallenphoenix1986
May 18th, 2011, 12:27
Going to pick this one up in a day or two, read Cmdr Wards book not long ago.
As for the Aussie FRS.1, there was a point that the RAN was supposed to be buying one of the I class and a squadron of FRS.1s to replace the Melbourne and A-4G's.... then the Falklands happened and we decided we'd be better off keeping them. Went at least as far as RAN pilots doing conversion courses. Used to have a PDF doc written by one of the Aussie evaluation pilots a while ago, will try and dig it out for you guys if your interested.

Craig

vonstroheim
May 18th, 2011, 13:01
As for the Aussie FRS.1...

Just for fun... and while waiting for the official paint kit... here is a RAAF (or RAN?) paint job for the Wilco Harrier...
Totaly fictitious and completly bogus, but necessary to fly around Orbx down under scenery! Here over Darwin YPDN... Feedback welcome...

http://img11.hostingpics.net/pics/477907RAAFHarrier1.jpg

http://img11.hostingpics.net/pics/279899RAAFHarrier2.jpg

jeansy
May 19th, 2011, 00:01
http://img705.imageshack.us/img705/4285/2011512114654640.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/705/2011512114654640.jpg/)

sorry has this been uploaded anywhere?

jeansy
May 19th, 2011, 00:02
Just for fun... and while waiting for the official paint kit... here is a RAAF (or RAN?) paint job for the Wilco Harrier...
Totaly fictitious and completly bogus, but necessary to fly around Orbx down under scenery! Here over Darwin YPDN... Feedback welcome...

http://img11.hostingpics.net/pics/477907RAAFHarrier1.jpg

http://img11.hostingpics.net/pics/279899RAAFHarrier2.jpg

The old RAN 70,80s paint scheme would suite it better

roll on the paint kit

ronvking
May 19th, 2011, 03:19
Thanks for the update Rob,

- Are you sure you have set your throttle to Idle ?

Yes and this is the only aircraft I've had this problem with.

- And if so, is your Throttle lever calibrated correctly ?

To my knowledge yes it is. Have a Saitek X45 and aware of the 50% setting so have moved back to idle before engine autostart.

- If you're interested, some background info.
Both things have to do with the lack of support in MSFS for non-longitudinal thrust....

Yes thought that might have a bearing. You folks have done a very nice job given these limits from Microcough. While the limit between moving and being static in the hover is a fine balance I've managed some nice vertical landings and unlike my helicopter flying managed to get the Harrier more or less where I want it. (But not yet tried an oil rig touch down :-)

Thanks Ron

ronvking
May 19th, 2011, 04:02
Hi,

Re the Fuel Tank Selector and Fuel Tank Quanity knobs.

I notice that on one a left mouse click turns it clockwise and on the other a left mouse click turns it anti-clockwise, a right click does reverse the action as it should do.

Cheers Ron

ZsoltB
May 20th, 2011, 02:21
sorry has this been uploaded anywhere?

Hello,

Uploaded the flightsim

Enjoy!

Zsolt

jeansy
May 20th, 2011, 04:23
Hello,

Uploaded the flightsim

Enjoy!

Zsolt

Thanks

just asking, did you just upload it or should it already be there

be buggered if i can find otherwise

jeansy
May 20th, 2011, 06:49
Hello,

Uploaded the flightsim

Enjoy!

Zsolt

ahhh they have put it up

Great paint thanks :salute:

vonstroheim
May 20th, 2011, 06:58
While waiting for the Zsolt repaints to be cleared by the flightsim staff (not there yet!) (edit: yes it is!), there is a nice Yeovilton Sea Harrier repaint by Jason Morgan already available. And it includes a nice intake smoke effect.

I've added an Auto_Smoke.xml gauge to make this effect appears only when N1 thrust is more than 50% and airspeed less than 80 knots... Plenty of room for improvement! Sorry for the GIF image... This forum doesn't like xml gauge reverse polish notation... who does...

Add this xml file inside a subfolder of the panel folder (I called mine "HarInt"). And in the panel.cfg add this to the [Vcockpit01] section :
gauge07=HarInt!Auto_Smoke, 0,0

Don't forget to update the aircraft.cfg file. Follow Jason's indications in his readme file.

Thanks to Jason Morgan for repaint and effect!
Thanks to Simon Swallow for his HMS Ark Royal for FSX at EGHI (porthigh.zip at flightsim)

vonstroheim
May 20th, 2011, 07:45
And will you upload this one too? ("Norway 1979"). Please do, it's wonderful !

Plenty of repaint ideas here: http://on-target-aviation.com/harrier.html

SkippyBing
May 20th, 2011, 08:08
And it includes a nice intake smoke effect.

It's not smoke, the Harrier family have a tank of de-mineralised water that gets injected into the front of the engine to increase the power for take-off/landing, so what you're seeing is the water vapour.

I have no idea how it works, although I think it's supposed to lower the intake air temperature so you can achieve full thrust without exceeding the max ITT on a hot day.

rcbarend
May 20th, 2011, 13:34
I've added an Auto_Smoke.xml gauge to make this effect appears only when N1 thrust is more than 50% and airspeed less than 80 knots... Plenty of room for improvement! ....)

Yes, you are right about the last statement :icon_lol:
I suggest not to use this Autosmoke gauge as-is, since it induces the infamous "continuous event" problem; causing multi-keystroke commands, like pushback heading select, engine-select, exit select, radio select, etc etc., not to work properly.
Not very apperant here, since this Harrier has only one engine and one exit.
But if you try "N" followed by "2" to select the second NAV radio: it won't work anymore.

Iow:

if{ (>K:SMOKE_ON) } els{ (>K:SMOKE_OFF) }

is wrong coding, because it continuously generates either a SmokeOn or SmokeOff event.

Proper code would be:

if{ (A:SMOKE ENABLE,bool) ! if{ (>K:SMOKE_ON) } }
els{ (A:SMOKE ENABLE,bool) if{ (>K:SMOKE_OFF) } }

I'm sure you see the difference: an event is now only given when the state of the Smokesystem var doesn't match the condition.

So in general: allways test first if it's necessary to give an event (ie. only give it if the related var is in the wrong state).
Can be applied to ANY event (even axis events).
Hope that helps ....

:salute:
Rob

PS: to display XML code in the forum, use the WRAP CODE tag.

vonstroheim
May 20th, 2011, 14:10
...Hope that helps ....

It sure does! Thanks Rob... Here is the corrected xml file.

IanHenry
May 21st, 2011, 10:12

Plenty of repaint ideas here: http://on-target-aviation.com/harrier.html

Yes I second that, it really is a beauty!
<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p> </o:p>
Regards,
Ian.

Stickshaker
May 21st, 2011, 10:52
Hi Sven,

and using this value:

Hello Barry,

Been away for a few days but this is excellent news! Looking forward to the update. The flight characteristics are very believable, based on my very short experience in a simulator.

bruce448
May 21st, 2011, 12:47
It's not smoke, the Harrier family have a tank of de-mineralised water that gets injected into the front of the engine to increase the power for take-off/landing, so what you're seeing is the water vapour.

I have no idea how it works, although I think it's supposed to lower the intake air temperature so you can achieve full thrust without exceeding the max ITT on a hot day.

Very close Skippy, firstly it is not smoke and yes it is water vapour caused by the slow moving air entering from the aux air intakes meeting the faster heated air entering directly into the intakes (basically stalling air).

Harriers carry 50gallons of Demineralised water in a tank just behind the engine and between the hot nozzles, which takes 90s to use. It gives up to ~2,000lb increase in thrust in the right circumstances (nearly 10%) - which in vertical operations can make all the difference between hovering and not, or getting off a short strip, Nominally 30s for takeoff, and 60s for landing (it doesn't start flowing until triggered as a certain JPT reached).

Injected after the combustion chamber, but before the free power turbines. With water flowing, you get a slight increase in allowable RPM and JPT, but of course, a great increase in "effective JPT" (i.e. for a certain fuel flow and RPM, water reduces the JPT, AND you get a higher limit).

Bruce

SkippyBing
May 22nd, 2011, 01:35
Very close Skippy, firstly it is not smoke and yes it is water vapour caused by the slow moving air entering from the aux air intakes meeting the faster heated air entering directly into the intakes (basically stalling air).

Harriers carry 50gallons of Demineralised water in a tank just behind the engine and between the hot nozzles, which takes 90s to use. It gives up to ~2,000lb increase in thrust in the right circumstances (nearly 10%) - which in vertical operations can make all the difference between hovering and not, or getting off a short strip, Nominally 30s for takeoff, and 60s for landing (it doesn't start flowing until triggered as a certain JPT reached).

Injected after the combustion chamber, but before the free power turbines. With water flowing, you get a slight increase in allowable RPM and JPT, but of course, a great increase in "effective JPT" (i.e. for a certain fuel flow and RPM, water reduces the JPT, AND you get a higher limit).

Bruce

Ahhhh! So that's how it works! I remember a sunny afternoon on BOST where one of the AETs asked how it worked for one of his exams. Bit of a stretch for a Lynx flight to be honest...

JIMJAM
May 22nd, 2011, 07:36
I still cannot find the speed brake indicator or the pitot heater. If either does not exist then what can I edit to have the pitot always on?
Having a blast with the plane. My fav is to be in a hover at the lowest altitude you can get away with. Then pitch the nose up and slowly reduce the nozzles and begin to pitch up. I have stood it on its tail doing this. Then eventually climb out vertical and watch later via tower view.
Btw- I was in aviation for the most part of my early years till my 40s and been around most all planes. I agree that the Harrier is the loudest with the B1-B a close second. The most damaging that headgear had no effect on was the t-37 tweet. Its whistle cut right through them and is probably why I have a 20 plus% loss of upper freqs in both ears.

jetstreamsky
May 22nd, 2011, 08:42
?........My fav is to be in a hover at the lowest altitude you can get away with. Then pitch the nose up and slowly reduce the nozzles and begin to pitch up. I have stood it on its tail doing this. Then eventually climb out vertical and watch later via tower view.

Yes that low altitude bit, is the where the VTOL gauge doesn't quite cut it, one you get close to the ground the recirculating air moving under the wing should cause quite a sever suck down, which is why the Harrier gear had such a long stroke to absorb that final drop.

Saw several demonstrations of that vertical ascent maneuver, a wonderfully noisy affair.

We had 'temporary' (read cheap) meeting rooms which were little more than wooden sheds adjacent to the runway at Dunsfold, on many occasions meetings would be held up waiting for a hovering Harrier to move away so you could actually have a discussion.

JIMJAM
May 22nd, 2011, 11:05
The USMC Harriers based at Beaufort MCAS on the coast rarely venture up to central SC. I was flying freight in a Turbo Commander 690 and just flipped over to tower freq. 2 Harriers were in slow flight 1/2 mile off the threshhold and the tower ask them if they were going to hover. Seeing a military jet flying that slow is odd and from the air is downright freaky. I could not hear their reply on my comms but got the impression they were just going to do a low fly by. The pair started to descend to maybe 300 agl or so and again she ask if they were going to hover and said with a stern voice,"Do not hover". Well I was downwind and got a good look at one of them accelerate and do a low pass but the other dissapeared in a cloud of dust and landed about 1000 ft down the runway. She then got on his case about it. I had to extend, he did a stol, headed south and became a dot. I was then told the runway was fouled and to land on the second runway. I was later told the harrier baked and burned the surface. The FD had to hose off the debri and from what I understand the pilot was reprimanded. Other than airshows thats the only story I have about the Harrier. I know from other pilots that there are stretches of interstate and rural roads that are designated for both the Harriers and other fixed wing to use both for emergency and combat ops. Locals in Beaufort have seen the harriers covered in camo off secondary roads and in barns during practice and war games.

MDIvey
May 23rd, 2011, 05:39
Is a final updated version available for this yet or still awaiting it? (enjoying it as is but would like to have the latest version installed when available)

Matt

bazzar
May 23rd, 2011, 05:47
Should be very soon Matt, we have just uploaded it.

Speedbrake control, parkbrake and pitot switch are among the revisions and fall easily to hand.

:engel016:

MDIvey
May 23rd, 2011, 05:55
Thanks Barry

funnily enough just got an email from Wilco to say version 2 available.

Matt

flaviossa
May 23rd, 2011, 05:56
Hello bazzar,
Thanks for the update! I presume it is the "HJJ_FSX_v2.exe" file, isn´t it?
I´m asking because there is now two installers available and i don´t know witch one is the new one:
Harrier Jump Jet - HJJ FSX
Other files:
HJJ FSX v10
HJJ FSX v2

Thanks! :salute:

JIMJAM
May 23rd, 2011, 06:36
My install is failing. After entering the serial numbers it begins the install but halts ans I get a error message. Something about missing textures form a sea harrier exterior mdl or what not. Unable to install completly.Invalid data Aborted.Error Mfd. Try again. Have a nice day. No Harrier v2 for you.

IanHenry
May 23rd, 2011, 06:38
Thanks for the update Bazzer.

Regards,
Ian.

MDIvey
May 23rd, 2011, 06:39
Does V2 include paint kit?... if so where is it located please?

Matt

joanvalley
May 23rd, 2011, 11:53
Does V2 include paint kit?... if so where is it located please?

Matt

Same question please.

bazzar
May 23rd, 2011, 14:15
I believe so, that was the intention.

I can and will only answer any questions related to the model itself. I can't answer for Wilco I'm afraid as we are not responsible for the Harrier once it has left our shores and you must contact them.

I will of course, pass on comment if I can.

We are delighted that so many are finding the Harrier enjoyable, it is always rewarding for the team. Thankyou.

MDIvey
May 24th, 2011, 05:32
I'm afraid I cant find the paint kit Barry... would you enquire about that with Wilco for us please and let us know the upshot here?

Matt

IanHenry
May 24th, 2011, 06:03
Barry,
I seem to have a problem with my HUD. I’ve just updated my video drivers and then rebuilt my cfg file, and now the airspeed indicator and altimeter on the HUD are frozen at a particular speed, for example after I had landed it showed an airspeed of 268 knots and an altitude of 5300 feet, which it had shown throughout my descent, any ideas on how I should fix this?
Regards,
Ian.

AndyG43
May 24th, 2011, 06:06
I'm afraid I cant find the paint kit Barry... would you enquire about that with Wilco for us please and let us know the upshot here?

Matt

There's a link to the paintkit on the Harrier page of the website.

http://www.wilcopub.com/simulator-add-on/harrier-jump-jet-5928.html

MDIvey
May 24th, 2011, 09:54
Thanks Andy...missed that

Matt

IanHenry
May 24th, 2011, 10:02
Barry,
I seem to have a problem with my HUD. I’ve just updated my video drivers and then rebuilt my cfg file, and now the airspeed indicator and altimeter on the HUD are frozen at a particular speed, for example after I had landed it showed an airspeed of 268 knots and an altitude of 5300 feet, which it had shown throughout my descent, any ideas on how I should fix this?
<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
Regards,
Ian.

O.k., I uninstalled the Harrier and reinstalled it, but the HUD is still frozen, it shows but nothing moves. I haven’t a clue what to try next, any suggestions?
Ian.

Chris Sykes
May 24th, 2011, 12:46
downloaded v2 tonight...

HUD seems to be behind the wind vane?
The G meter seems much better but still is inacurate?
Also spotted the left hand rocket pod is half hanging off?
Plus those rocket pods are slanted?

However im liking V2 improvements overall! Thanks for updating it!

Chris Sykes
May 24th, 2011, 12:57
O.k., I uninstalled the Harrier and reinstalled it, but the HUD is still frozen, it shows but nothing moves. I haven’t a clue what to try next, any suggestions?
<?xml:namespace prefix = o /><o:p></o:p>
Ian.
wouldnt be the pitot heater being off?

Has this one been uploaded anywhere yet???

bazzar
May 24th, 2011, 13:59
Chris, the HUD appears to be behind the windvane because of the collimation 'projection' on the HUD reticle.

When you re-installed Ian, did the little registration exe fire off to register the HUD with FSX?

IanHenry
May 24th, 2011, 14:06
Barry,<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
I rolled back to my previous driver and that solved the problem, which seems a little strange doesn’t it? I was using the new bets drivers so I think I will pass on those.
Regards,
Ian.

dvj
May 24th, 2011, 16:48
downloaded v2 tonight...

HUD seems to be behind the wind vane?
The G meter seems much better but still is inacurate?
Also spotted the left hand rocket pod is half hanging off?
Plus those rocket pods are slanted?

However im liking V2 improvements overall! Thanks for updating it!

Egad! I'll wait for V.3! :icon_lol:

Chris Sykes
May 25th, 2011, 00:13
[QUOTE=bazzar;589042]Chris, the HUD appears to be behind the windvane because of the collimation 'projection' on the HUD reticle. [QUOTE]

Hi Bazzar, i did think that might be the case...

dougal
May 25th, 2011, 00:36
Barry,<!--?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /--><o:p></o:p>
I rolled back to my previous driver and that solved the problem, which seems a little strange doesn’t it? I was using the new bets drivers so I think I will pass on those.
Regards,
Ian.

That new nVidia driver is causing havok everywhere Ian. It detroyed most of my addons.

It's still BETA!

Cleartheprop
May 25th, 2011, 10:31
double post but I thought this video might find its place in this thread! :)
(for those who want to see the Harrier in motion)
D3kNdYBve-4

ZsoltB
May 25th, 2011, 10:46
Very very Great video! :icon_lol:

You are the best! :salute:

Thank you!

Regards,

Zsolt

Cleartheprop
May 25th, 2011, 13:54
Very very Great video! :icon_lol:

You are the best! :salute:

Thank you!

Regards,

Zsolt
Thank You Zsolt! Glad you like it! ;)

dvj
May 25th, 2011, 13:59
D3kNdYBve-4

Amazing.:salute::applause::salute:

If you don't mind me asking, what are your system specs for creating these movies?

dvj

bazzar
May 25th, 2011, 14:07
Simply stunning work. Thankyou.:applause::applause::applause:

Cleartheprop
May 25th, 2011, 14:34
Simply stunning work. Thankyou.:applause::applause::applause:

thank you for this nice airplane ! it's always been among my favourite fighter jet. ;)

rcbarend
May 25th, 2011, 15:05
D3kNdYBve-4
Wauw.... Fantastic video (and music, by the way).

Thanks, Rob

JIMJAM
May 25th, 2011, 17:20
Thanks for the update. Now I think my computer needs one. A2a Spit and other simular planes I am getting 20-25 locked steady and smooth. This one is hitting me hard with 10-15 at airports hovering and mid teens to 20 in the rural areas.
None of my computers since FSX was released ever ran well with any plane/heli with a glass pit or hud. There are a few exceptions but I am glad I like the older warbirds and not much for the airliners and fast movers.

ZsoltB
May 26th, 2011, 03:14
http://img580.imageshack.us/img580/5120/2011526121956203.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/580/2011526121956203.jpg/)

MDIvey
May 27th, 2011, 04:32
Looks good Zsolt ...let us know when and where you upload it

Matt

mmann
May 27th, 2011, 06:29
Thanks for the update. Now I think my computer needs one. A2a Spit and other simular planes I am getting 20-25 locked steady and smooth. This one is hitting me hard with 10-15 at airports hovering and mid teens to 20 in the rural areas.
None of my computers since FSX was released ever ran well with any plane/heli with a glass pit or hud. There are a few exceptions but I am glad I like the older warbirds and not much for the airliners and fast movers.

I have the same problem with glass cockpits and in particular the HUD included with this Harrier. I did gain about 5 FPS by using the F/A-18 Acceleration HUD instead of the one included with the Wilco Harrier.

Regards, Mike Mann

Stickshaker
May 27th, 2011, 07:01
I have the same problem with glass cockpits and in particular the HUD included with this Harrier. I did gain about 5 FPS by using the F/A-18 Acceleration HUD instead of the one included with the Wilco Harrier.

Regards, Mike Mann

Hello Mike,

My HUD horizon line still moves up and down when I pitch the plane, even with TrackIR paused. Can you tell me how you fitted the Acceleration HUD (or any other HUD, for that matter) in?

Thanks for any help you can give,

Stickshaker

atf300
May 31st, 2011, 10:16

Regards, Mike Mann

could you please explain how you changed the HUD ?

IanHenry
May 31st, 2011, 11:15
Is there any chance members could upload the excellent repaints that we have seen in this post? I'm sure they will be appreciated by a lot of people.

Regards,
Ian.

jp
June 19th, 2011, 12:00
...Painted any harriers to represent USMC AV-8A harriers? If so, where can I download them?

Thanks,
Jp

AndyE1976
June 19th, 2011, 18:16
USMC AV-8A's were essentially modified GR1 Harriers. GR3's wouldn't work, the FRS1 isn't quite right either.

Razbam is putting together a series of Harriers that will include the AV-8A from the screenshots I've seen on their forum. No idea when they'll be available though as they've got lots of other things happening first.