PDA

View Full Version : I broke my Computer Bummed out here..

HouseHobbit
April 18th, 2011, 12:44
I may be offline for a few days, I seemed to have messed up my Operating system, and may have to reload it all..
I placed a new fix everything program on this yesterday, program that has TRASHED my computer..
I should not have loaded this or ran it. Now I am having problems with this machine.. I have done a system restore but I still am not running properly..
I am going to place my flight sim programs on a second hard drive and reload the operating system..To save it all..
it will take me a few days to reload everything thing..
Perhaps a week of reloading before I get this Monster working correctly again..
Lots to sort out and save to a second hard drive and start over..
I should have left well enough alone..
Live and learn..

AussieMan
April 18th, 2011, 14:51
When it comes to running a computer I firmly believe in the K.I.S.S principle.

Cheers
Pat

TARPSBird
April 18th, 2011, 15:29
Hobbit,
Stay away from those "fix everything" programs, they often cause more problems than they fix. There are more than enough computer-savvy folks here at SOH to answer questions and provide trouble-shooting help when the need arises. :)

Panther_99FS
April 18th, 2011, 15:45
:censored::censored::censored:

HouseHobbit
April 19th, 2011, 14:16
Hobbit,
Stay away from those "fix everything" programs, they often cause more problems than they fix. There are more than enough computer-savvy folks here at SOH to answer questions and provide trouble-shooting help when the need arises. :)

I have reloaded my OS, 18+ hours to get it set back up..Stayed up all night correcting My Fix..RATS..
And I should have known better..From Now on if I need help I Will come to Our Masters here.. Not some fix everything program..
Learned a good lesson, if it ain't broke DON'T fix it..

pfflyers
April 19th, 2011, 18:02
Must be that time of year, I just had to restore my OS.

Funny how it died, shut it down in the evening and the next day when I restarted it all my desktop icons were gone. I tried a restart and got a black screen with the message "NTLDR is missing" and it wouldn't even boot.

Don't have any idea what made "NTLDR" go away, but my wife (our local IT guru) got it to boot but nothing would run. Luckily my FS stuff was on another HD. A weird thing is most programs were still there but couldn't run, but my "My Documents" folder was empty, lost a bunch of mp3's, photos, screenshots, recent downloads, and misc junk like that.

Had to bite the bullet and do a system restore, still getting things sorted out and configured to my liking.