PDA

View Full Version : FSX SP2/A Martin B-26C-11 Marauder Medium Bomber Rev A Uploaded

Radioman123
April 17th, 2011, 17:22
Rev A – FSX SP2/A Martin B-26C-11-MO 41-18322 Marauder Medium Bomber
April 17, 2011

I just uploaded Revision A of my FSX SP2/A Martin B-26 Marauder Medium Bomber to the Add-Ons Library under FSX American Aircraft.

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/local_links.php?action=jump&catid=34&id=3898

I made the following fixes and additions:

Throttle, Mixture, Propeller controls can now independently control the left and right engines
Elevator Trim Wheel works correctly
Addition of gunners in rear and power turret

I also added historical photos from my private collection of the 319BG in North Africa (1943).

I want to thank everyone for feedback on this aircraft. It really helps make it better.

Regards, Radioman123

RCAF_Gunner
April 17th, 2011, 23:02
Many thanks Radioman.

:ernae:

italoc
April 18th, 2011, 06:51
Many thanks from me too :applause::applause:
Italo

Radioman123
April 18th, 2011, 17:46
I hope everyone likes it. The paintkit will work with this version also.

Regards

Radioman123

mal998
April 19th, 2011, 09:05
Thanks for the update!

It sure would be great to see some additional paints to go along with this great old bird.

Crusader
April 19th, 2011, 09:21
Thanks for the update!

It sure would be great to see some additional paints to go along with this great old bird.

I thought I read that the B-26 was used in the PTO too although sparingly but I have never run across any Pacific paints . If I am wrong in the Pacific area use I stand corrected .

Rich

pfflyers
April 19th, 2011, 09:56
I've never read a specific history of the B-26, but I have read references to it in the PTO in general histories, particularly in the early days.

I'm sure I remember reading that a flight of B-26's were stationed at Midway in the buildup prior to the "Battle of Midway". In fact I seem to remember that they made torpedo attacks against the Japanese fleet (no hits registered).

If my memory is not totally gone I think the description of their attack actually quoted a Japanese officer as admiring their tenacity.

Or the above could all be the result of fevered imagination.

FSX68
April 19th, 2011, 15:30
Wanted to make sure if this is latest and greatest and completely supersedes
previous models? Thanks.

Smashing Time
April 19th, 2011, 16:56
I thought I read that the B-26 was used in the PTO too although sparingly but I have never run across any Pacific paints . If I am wrong in the Pacific area use I stand corrected .

Rich

http://www.redraiders22bg.com/

CHECK THE TABLE OF CONTENTS DOWN AT THE BOTTOM FOR THE AIRCRAFT
:kilroy:

Radioman123
April 19th, 2011, 17:53
Wanted to make sure if this is latest and greatest and completely supersedes
previous models? Thanks.

This aircraft supersedes the prior version and with corrections and enhancements in the virtual cockpit. The paint kit for it is still valid.

Regards

Radioman123

mal998
April 19th, 2011, 22:14
To answer the question posed regarding Marauder paints, here a just a few possibilities:

There are quite a few more.

roger-wilco-66
April 19th, 2011, 22:24

Rich

I have references saying that some B-26s were stationed on Henderson Field on Guadalcanal:

38th BG, 70th BS (B-26) moved from Fiji January - Feb 4, 1943 to HF
42nd BG, 69th BS (B-26, B-25) moved from New Hebrides January 1943 to HF

Most multi-engined bombers used in that scenario were B-25 and B-24 though. B-17s were also used, but had to fly from Espiritu Santo (AFAIK).

Cheers,
Mark

mal998
April 19th, 2011, 22:25
And a few more...

As for the Marauder being used in the Pacific, here are a few links that chronicle some of the aircraft's history:

http://flgrube1.tripod.com/id325.html

http://www.historyofwar.org/articles...6_Pacific.html (http://www.historyofwar.org/articles/weapons_B-26_Pacific.html)

http://www.joebaugher.com/usaf_bombers/b26_19.html

MDIvey
April 20th, 2011, 00:35
This is a great model radioman and a lot of fun to fly...thankyou

Matt

Crusader
April 20th, 2011, 03:37
Thanks all for the reference links and answering my questions about the B-26's use in the PTO . Will certainly be looking forward to some PTO paints .

Rich

limjack
April 20th, 2011, 09:01
Once again thankyou for this aircraft. Although a long story my Aunt was pregnant when her husband past away on a mission in the B-26. So my cousin and I have tried to find any info out there. I attached what we do know about the area he was lost. Very interesting stuff.

Jim

BrittMac
April 21st, 2011, 07:34
limjack, that is an interesting read for sure.

My grandfather flew Marauders in the ETO. I am going to make a push to find out more info on his service too. I do have a pic of him standing by the nose gear, and behind him the noseart "Ol Smokey" is on the plane. Good stuff.

As far as the safety of the Marauder is concerned, it had one of the best safety records in the ETO. Apparently training was tough, but once the pilots got in-theater they did pretty wel.
Stay safe.

limjack
April 21st, 2011, 19:02
limjack, that is an interesting read for sure.

My grandfather flew Marauders in the ETO. I am going to make a push to find out more info on his service too. I do have a pic of him standing by the nose gear, and behind him the noseart "Ol Smokey" is on the plane. Good stuff.

As far as the safety of the Marauder is concerned, it had one of the best safety records in the ETO. Apparently training was tough, but once the pilots got in-theater they did pretty wel.
Stay safe.

Hi BrittMac,
Indeed, it is all interesting stuff. So cool that radioman took on this aircraft. At some point I will try to duplicate the flight and see how I do. As for the research, not much to be found on the internet about the name of his aircraft that went down or any info on the crew. I have been searching the b-26 website but have not found any connections yet. Will have to get a hold of my Aunt to see if she remembers anything about the aircraft and its name. Hope you enjoy your research on your Grandfather. It is a kick to go into the past and start turning stones over to learn about our families past.

Jim

Radioman123
April 21st, 2011, 20:09
For those that are interested, former members of the 319th BG and 320th BG have websites. The 320th BG has many pictures and one can get a good sense of what these people went through.

http://319thbombgroup.com//

http://320thbg.org/

My father started with the 320th BG, flew the southern route across the Atlantic to North Africa, got transferred to the 319th BG and finished his tour with them before returning to the states in 1944.

An interesting flight would be to fly from Natal, Brazil to Ascension Island to Accra, Ghana before moving up to Marrakech in Algeria. In Dec. 1942, they did the flight at night so they could navigate using star sightings. From my dad's log books, each flight was about 4 hours 30 minutes.

Regards

Radioman123
My dad is second from the right in the back row.

My dad is on the far right with the mustache.

mal998
April 22nd, 2011, 04:16
Great pics to be sure. Thanks for posting those.

A seriously brave bunch of young men!

Any idea what the small black stenciling on the nose says (in the last pic)?

Radioman123
April 22nd, 2011, 06:12
I believe that it is the manufacturer's US Army descriptor.

Something like

U. S. Army B-26-B-5-MA
AIR FORCES SERIAL NO 41-22614
CREW WEIGHT 1200 LBS
USE 100 OCTANE FUEL

PROJECT 3002100B

Regards
Radioman123

mal998
April 22nd, 2011, 08:21
I believe that it is the manufacturer's US Army descriptor.

Something like

U. S. Army B-26-B-5-MA
AIR FORCES SERIAL NO 41-22614
CREW WEIGHT 1200 LBS
USE 100 OCTANE FUEL

PROJECT 3002100B

Regards
Radioman123

Great stuff!

Thanks.

jandjfrench
April 22nd, 2011, 13:12
Wow! It just keeps getting better. I feel better having a full crew.
I had reset some of the "cameras" in the previous version and I incorporated them into the latest revision. Still baffled by CameraDefinition.9; it refers to the turret but doesn't show up while cycling the views. Got rid of the reference to the "Yoke" in the Shift windows.
Had the slow pivot problem so incorporated Milton Shupe's suggestion regarding the Yaw MOI and that took care of it. Really appreciated the re-located VSI. I played musical chairs with some of the gauges; Airspeed to Manifold Pressure to Fuel Pressure to Airspeed. I need to see that airspeed.
The only thing that seems strange is the effect produced by lowering the flaps. Instead of increased drag and lift it seems that all I'm experiencing is a downward pitch. Gives me something to look into.
I really appreciate the new control functions and once again thanks for an incredible airplane. As a matter of fact I think I'm ready to go flying.

Jim F.

Radioman123
April 23rd, 2011, 07:34
Wow! It just keeps getting better. I feel better having a full crew.
I had reset some of the "cameras" in the previous version and I incorporated them into the latest revision. Still baffled by CameraDefinition.9; it refers to the turret but doesn't show up while cycling the views. Got rid of the reference to the "Yoke" in the Shift windows.
Had the slow pivot problem so incorporated Milton Shupe's suggestion regarding the Yaw MOI and that took care of it. Really appreciated the re-located VSI. I played musical chairs with some of the gauges; Airspeed to Manifold Pressure to Fuel Pressure to Airspeed. I need to see that airspeed.
The only thing that seems strange is the effect produced by lowering the flaps. Instead of increased drag and lift it seems that all I'm experiencing is a downward pitch. Gives me something to look into.
I really appreciate the new control functions and once again thanks for an incredible airplane. As a matter of fact I think I'm ready to go flying.

Jim F.

Do you have Milton's suggestion on the YAW MOI. That is one thing that I am still struggling to eliminate and will incorporate in the next set of upgrades. I am trying to get this as realistic as possible and that is the one bothersome thing. It will help when I get to a late model version b-55 or later. BTW adding

feathering_switches = 1

to the end of

[propeller]

in the aircraft.cfg file will allow the feathering switches to work in the cockpit. I just discovered that.

Regards

Radioman123

Radioman123
April 23rd, 2011, 07:45
Here is a reprint on Milton's great fix in the aircraft.cfg file

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/images/misc/quote_icon.png Originally Posted by Radioman123 http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/images/buttons/viewpost-right.png (http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/showthread.php?p=569073#post569073)
I am still looking at it. I am not sure the cause. It is not noticeable on my rig.

Regards

Radioman123

A quick look at the aircraft.cfg and I see what I think is the problem. The empty weight yaw is 1/10th what it should be (typically the sum of pitch and roll values will put you in the ball park):

empty_weight_pitch_MOI=72639.00000
empty_weight_roll_MOI=80032.00000
empty_weight_yaw_MOI=14524.00000

I think a number is missing, maybe like a low order zero:
empty_weight_pitch_MOI=72639.00000
empty_weight_roll_MOI=80032.00000
empty_weight_yaw_MOI=145240.00000

Now you see that the yaw figure is in the ballpark and problem is solved for me.

Thank you for this very nice aircraft. :)

jandjfrench
April 23rd, 2011, 08:01
Hi,

Here's the modified MOI line from the aircraft.cfg:
"empty_weight_yaw_MOI=145240.00000"
He thought that perhaps a zero was dropped to the left of the decimal point.
I was doing a bit of night flying and noticed 3 blue lights in a line just forward of the vertical stabilizer. What are these?
I'm not sure what's going on here. I just scrolled down and see Milton's post addressing this. I guess this has already been answered but I'll post this anyway.
I'll certainly enable the feathering switches. I'm not sure how there used but it's just one more thing to investigate.

Jim F.

Radioman123
April 23rd, 2011, 08:20
The three blue lights were some type of night lighting from 1941 and was actually on the aircraft. It showed up in the references, pilot manuals, etc. I went to Fantasy of Flight in Florida a few years ago to see the last flying B-26A and the lighting showed up in my detailed pictures. It is also referenced in the Monogram B-26B model from many years ago.

Regarding the YAW MOI, I must have dropped a decimal point in the calculations.

Regards

Radioman123

Radioman123
April 24th, 2011, 21:15
The three blue lights were some type of night lighting from 1941 and was actually on the aircraft. It showed up in the references, pilot manuals, etc. I went to Fantasy of Flight in Florida a few years ago to see the last flying B-26A and the lighting showed up in my detailed pictures. It is also referenced in the Monogram B-26B model from many years ago.

Regarding the YAW MOI, I must have dropped a decimal point in the calculations.

Regards

Radioman123

For all that are interested. I had the patch uploaded to the .zip file. You can either change the following in the aircraft.cfg file

"empty_weight_yaw_MOI=145240.00000"

or just re-download the .zip.

Happy Easter

Radioman123