PDA

View Full Version : Whats been going on in CFS2?

codeseven
April 17th, 2011, 16:40
When CFS2 first came out I played almost everday and was a regular on several sim forums including the best one, SimOuthouse! (not sure if it was called SimOuthouse back then :))

Every once in a while I like to check in and see whats new with my 'ol friend' CFS2. What does it look like nowadays? (scenery, planes,effects). One thing I had worked on for many months was trying to get aircraft to take-off and land on a carrier and come to a complete stop on the deck. I actually witnessed a stock Wildcat do it once. Did this ever get figured out? Thanks

Cees Donker
April 18th, 2011, 02:30
CFS2 is still alive and kickin'. One of the main driving forces behind this is Rami (Drew). Mentioning one name is lazyness on my part, there are numerous others (peperez, Shadow Wolf 07.......). There's a load of addons to be explored. I came back to fly again in the ETO. I haven't been dissapointed.

:wavey:

Cees

codeseven
April 18th, 2011, 17:56
Cool, thanks. Have the carrier ops changed much?

Shadow Wolf 07
April 19th, 2011, 05:00
Cool, thanks. Have the carrier ops changed much?

No, but Talon and I are about the only ones still doing carrier based missions/campaigns. I just recently uploaded a USS Essex campaign - 50 missions long. Of course, there are others but I can't think too clearly before my first cup of coffee. Collin's carriers have added a new dimension to night ops, with their lighted decks. There are a lot more carriers to download, here at SOH, Collin's site and Usio's site. :applause:

bobhegf
April 20th, 2011, 16:43
Code seven you and i talked some about the AI landing on a carrier. Iremember yousaid you had one land on a carrier once. Well I have been flying CFS2 for a long ,long time but never had that happen. Well theother night it happened, I had landed and parked on the carrier when a AI TBF landed on the carrier and ran into me.This AI was stock with no mods.This tells me that something is there in the game that triggers this but what?

codeseven
April 20th, 2011, 21:02
Hi Bob!

I remember us having that conversation. Geez, that was a long time ago! Ya, I had spent months messing with every and any parameter I could find to get the AI to take off, land, and stop, on a carrier. I got pretty good at having several AI aircraft take off and return to land on deck and that was all on a 'moving' carrier! It was pretty cool to watch from different vantage points, especially while sitting in my own aircraft on deck waiting to take off!

But alas, none of those AI aircraft would 'stop' on the deck. They would slow down to almost a stop then veer off to one side or the other and roll off the deck and into the sea, bummer.

The single time a saw an AI take off, return to land and 'stop' on deck was when I had several stock Wildcats taking off one after the other and then observing which one came the closest to stopping on deck. I don't remember what in particular, if anything, I had changed on this particular Wildcat, or maybe the carrier deck values, but sure enough she came out of the pattern on a perfect glide slope and without catching a wire (I don't think I remember any of them catching a wire) she slowed down and stopped up by the bow, flaps down, engine still running, it was beautiful and I was shocked! Never could repeat that even though I immediately used the same Wildcat and duplicated it's previous flight.

I was hoping by now that someone much smarter than me had figured this problem out either with a parameter change or a gauge or something. It's by far the one thing I spent the most time trying to figure out and that I really wanted to be able to say, 'hey fellas! check this out, it works! here's how you do it!!' lol

Oh well. Glad to see your still around. I haven't messed around with CFS2 for a long time but I always think fondly of it.

Mike

bobhegf
April 20th, 2011, 22:04
You need to get back inti it.

codeseven
April 21st, 2011, 10:16
Don't tempt me Bob! :)