PDA

View Full Version : Star Wars reality...

yank51
April 15th, 2011, 18:29
Star Wars weaponry is really here... I know there is far more going on than we even know about, but the NAVY has it down pat....:applause::applause::applause:

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/technology/2011/04/navy-laser-weapon-fire-.html

Allen
April 15th, 2011, 20:30
Can I haz Tie fighter now then?

stansdds
April 16th, 2011, 02:32
I'll take an X-wing, better visibility to the sides. :icon_lol:

Interesting technology, to say the very least. This was the stuff of science fiction for many years.

centuryseries
April 16th, 2011, 07:09
The US Air Force has been testing an Airborne Laser system mounted onto a modified 747 for a while now - it's even succeeded in destroying a ballistic missile during it's boost phase!

http://www.boeing.com/defense-space/military/abl/

But it looks like it won't go into production due to it not being operationally viable.....

Lionheart
April 16th, 2011, 08:22
The coolest thing yet is the magnetic accellerator launcher for Battleships. The projectiles reach speeds that are so high, its near the speed of light, (look it up, yep..) and with the mass plus inertia, the projectiles can plow through many objects, not just one. Horrible damage to the target.

The amount of electricity needed for one launch though is equivalent to the power of all of new york, if I remember correctly.

Bill

yank51
April 16th, 2011, 09:44
What I found neat about this is the fact that they were able to hit the target at some distance (not sure exactly how far) and maintain target lock is spite of both the gun platform and the target were bobbing in the water. They did this using current technology. Probably something like what they have on the Abrams tank to keep the gum locked-on the target!! Pretty cool, and let's see if they now use it to get some of the pirates out in the open ocean...:running:

stuartcox
April 16th, 2011, 14:31
Lionheart[/LEFT];573959]The coolest thing yet is the magnetic
accellerator
launcher for Battleships. The projectiles reach speeds that are so high, its near the speed of light, (look it up, yep..) and with the mass plus inertia, the projectiles can plow through many objects, not just one. Horrible damage to the target.

The amount of electricity needed for one launch though is equivalent to the power of all of new york, if I remember correctly.

Bill

Almost the speed of light?
No known material could withstand the gravitational forces, and the ship firing such a weapon would end up hopping from the Atlantic to the Moon, pulling it's power supply cable behind it.
Jokes beside, the principal does work!
As a kid I built an electric canon, powered through a 240v mains cable, and shooting an
aluminium hollow projectile up to 10 metres.