PDA

View Full Version : Collings Foundation F-100F Unveiling Ceremony

Bomber_12th
April 11th, 2011, 12:16
An excellent new video, that I just had to share here.

The Collings Foundation recently purchased a beautiful, airworthy F-100F, to join its Vietnam Memorial Flight group, and even more recently, the aircraft was completely repainted in the markings of Col. 'Bud' Day's Vietnam mount. This aircraft will be at airshows with the CF's all Vietnam War-marked F-4 Phantom, A-4 Skyhawk, and Huey.

The subject of the video is the aircraft's unveiling ceremony, where 'Bud' Day was reunited with 'his' aircraft.

http://www.vimeo.com/22241898

fsafranek
April 11th, 2011, 13:25
Nice video. So awesome that the Collings Foundation is keeping in the air an example of those birds that were the source of my facination with aviation as a youth.

Based on the Mk4 bang seats and the wing tips pods I say that this one was at one time flown by the Royal Danish Air Force. They would have called it a TF-100F.
:ernae:

stansdds
April 11th, 2011, 13:43
The Collings Foundation does a nice job with their collection. I'm glad to see a century series fighter restored.

That's a spiffy formation at the end of the video.

casey jones
April 12th, 2011, 08:32
Truly Magnificant!!! I am proud to be an American and veteran of the Vietam war!!!

Cheers

Casey

TARPSBird
April 12th, 2011, 14:10
Great clip. The fly-by at the end was definitely "Sierra Hotel"! :)

Wittpilot
April 12th, 2011, 15:07
Darn You John....

I was going to post that over here too this evening.... you beat me to it....lol...

BTW, did you see that photo of our P-40 flying in California someone posted over there?

-witt

OleBoy
April 12th, 2011, 15:19
Great video and commemoration. I actually got a little teary eyed. An excellent tribute to Col. Day!!

Bomber_12th
April 12th, 2011, 17:09
Darn You John....

I was going to post that over here too this evening.... you beat me to it....lol...

BTW, did you see that photo of our P-40 flying in California someone posted over there?

-witt

I certainly did! Talk about a gorgeous aircraft, and I love the way the dual-seat setup works, with the sliding side panels for that original look when wanted! ;) Perhaps the greatest reason I like it, is that it perfectly resembles an old 1/32 scale P-40E in the very same markings as Col. Scott's aircraft, that has been in my life since I was born.

With the B-17 and the P-40 touring together, I can only imagine that it definitely helps 'the draw', just as I am sure the addition of the P-51 for the Collings group, does for their bomber tour. The benefit of the P-40, I would imagine, is that shark mouth. ;)

Bomber_12th
April 12th, 2011, 17:17
And speaking of the video, I love watching any vet be reunited with their aircraft, or their aircraft type...that despite the years that have passed since the last time they flew the aircraft, they still proudly climb into it just as if they did so yesterday, with both confidence in their step, and eagerness in their eyes.

Wittpilot
April 12th, 2011, 18:24
I certainly did! Talk about a gorgeous aircraft, and I love the way the dual-seat setup works, with the sliding side panels for that original look when wanted! ;) Perhaps the greatest reason I like it, is that it perfectly resembles an old 1/32 scale P-40E in the very same markings as Col. Scott's aircraft, that has been in my life since I was born.

With the B-17 and the P-40 touring together, I can only imagine that it definitely helps 'the draw', just as I am sure the addition of the P-51 for the Collings group, does for their bomber tour. The benefit of the P-40, I would imagine, is that shark mouth. ;)

Yeah, I like that a lot too.... They use the drop tank now instead of the tank that was there where the second seat is. I had an email from Mr. Fowler last week saying he looked forward to flying me in the P-40 (if they come close this summer)...So I am going to hold him to that!!!!!

Panther_99FS
April 12th, 2011, 19:24
Fantastic find John!
:medals:

fsafranek
April 12th, 2011, 20:32
Great video and commemoration. I actually got a little teary eyed. An excellent tribute to Col. Day!!
I hear ya. Just overwhelmed with pride and nostalgia seeing the flyby with the Phantom II (just love the lines on that bird) the Hun and the Scooter.
:ernae:

AndyG43
April 13th, 2011, 00:51
And speaking of the video, I love watching any vet be reunited with their aircraft, or their aircraft type...that despite the years that have passed since the last time they flew the aircraft, they still proudly climb into it just as if they did so yesterday, with both confidence in their step, and eagerness in their eyes.

Absolutely! See this article (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/1486336/Spitfire-pilot-92-takes-controls-of-his-old-plane-after-60-years.html) from a few years back, when Alex Henshaw got back into the cockpit of a Spitfire - I remember a TV news report of the time, where younger pilots were in total awe that this 92 year old could still teach them a thing or two. :salute: