PDA

View Full Version : A little spring cleaning...benefits of centralization!

Rami
April 10th, 2011, 10:24
To all,

I've been having some issues lately with too many objects in my OBJECTS_DP folder for a couple of my sims, so I went through all of my .dp files in my aircraft folder and only kept the weapon .dp files for the ones which are utilized by my aircraft. All the rest were discarded to save space.

One of the things that makes this easier is that I keep all of the weapon .bgl files and texture files in a single folder, which makes the process much less complicated! Now, I'm going to continue by going through my other sims.

Discus
April 10th, 2011, 15:47
With all the new additions to ETO scenery like Canionīs scenery objects I and II and Pen32Winīs new flak cannons, cleaning the dp folder of unused objects is a must for all the ETO installs.

Do you go from aircraft to aircraft dp file taking note of each weapon used to compare later with the ones in the OBJECTS-DP folder? With more than 100 planes and dozens of layouts and gls that need different objects (buildings, trees, etc. ) per install, it will be a long long work.

Cheers, Discus

Rami
April 10th, 2011, 15:52
With all the new additions to ETO scenery like Canionīs scenery objects I and II and Pen32Winīs new flak cannons, cleaning the dp folder of unused objects is a must for all the ETO installs.

Do you go from aircraft to aircraft dp file taking note of each weapon used to compare later with the ones in the OBJECTS-DP folder? With more than 100 planes and dozens of layouts and gls that need different objects (buildings, trees, etc. ) per install, it will be a long long work.

Cheers, Discus

Discus,

Yes. What I do for aircraft is to go through each .dp file, and place the objects that each aircraft requires (if they are not duplicates) into a new folder on my desktop. Once I have the weapons required for all the planes, I throw all the other weapons away.

Pen32Win
April 10th, 2011, 17:30
Rami;

I went through the very same thing just a couple of weeks ago. I ended up throwing out over 1000 dp's. Mostly it was modern weapons from A/C I had messed with and all of the CFS1 DP's.

It's a lot of work but well worth the effort.

Discus
April 11th, 2011, 03:51
Rami, Pen

Thanks for the tip. Iīll start tonight.

Jagdflieger
April 11th, 2011, 16:00
I also keep my sound folders for all my installations in a single folder as well as all of my mesh files. That way they are only installed once and I just allias each plane or sim to them. Works a treat and saves a lot of space, particularly with sound and mesh files as large as they are.

Discus
April 12th, 2011, 09:40
I also keep my sound folders for all my installations in a single folder as well as all of my mesh files. That way they are only installed once and I just allias each plane or sim to them. Works a treat and saves a lot of space, particularly with sound and mesh files as large as they are.

I also keep sounds in a unified external folder under Microsoft Games\CFS2 Shared files\Engine sounds (I have 64 different engine sounds) and sceneries in Microsoft Games\CFS2 Shared files\Scenery (53 + folders for ETO and nearby Theatres of Operation). Iīm not in my desktop PC right now so the numbers should be higher.

Discus

MaskRider
April 12th, 2011, 11:26
Too bad there isn't a little batch file you could run that would go though the folder and delete all of the unused files. Something like that little gauge cleaning utility floating around.