PDA

View Full Version : ETO: Weather changes in campaign?

vonOben
April 4th, 2011, 04:23
Hi

There are a lot of weather xml files in the weather folder.
Are they used so you'll get weather changes in campaigns? :confused:

Cheers

vonOben

Led Zeppelin
April 4th, 2011, 08:21
no idea, I have never understood how the wheather work in campaign mode.

vonOben
April 12th, 2011, 05:40
Does anyone know?

I found this info posted by Pat:

CFS3 ETO 1.2 Released
"One of the biggest advances has been in the inclusion of new weather and effects. Clouds and weather change as you fly across the cfs3 world. Take off in clear skies and fly a mission in worsening weather to find your home base shrouded in cloud on your return."

Is that in QC, missions or in campaign missions or in all types? :confused:

Cheers

vonOben

Led Zeppelin
April 12th, 2011, 10:18
Single missions.

Campaign: no, I don't think so. I fact, I think that in campaign mode, CFS3 only uses stock wheather files.

QC: maybe you can select those wheathers, have a try.

Daiwilletti
April 13th, 2011, 17:20
Hi

There are a lot of weather xml files in the weather folder.
Are they used so you'll get weather changes in campaigns? :confused:

Cheers

vonOben
Hi von Oben,
I think most of the weather files are written for specific missions. Winding Man cracked the variable weather system using his Mission Manager. It worked for campaigns. he used a variety of weather files entitled _cmpweather.xml. These get selected within the mission manager and presumably loaded into the weather folder in the Application Data\user\microsoft\etc pathway. One of the options was an xml file for variable weather. So your goal for variable weather would be to write a _cmpweather.xml for the weather folder under the app data pathway.

I've also tried to attach a zip folder to this post. Its called "dynamicweather1_0.zip" Hope the attachment thingy works.
cheers,
D

HouseHobbit
April 13th, 2011, 19:33
Hi von Oben,
I think most of the weather files are written for specific missions. Winding Man cracked the variable weather system using his Mission Manager. It worked for campaigns. he used a variety of weather files entitled _cmpweather.xml. These get selected within the mission manager and presumably loaded into the weather folder in the Application Data\user\microsoft\etc pathway. One of the options was an xml file for variable weather. So your goal for variable weather would be to write a _cmpweather.xml for the weather folder under the app data pathway.

I've also tried to attach a zip folder to this post. Its called "dynamicweather1_0.zip" Hope the attachment thingy works.
cheers,
D

Yes the Winding Man files work very well in CFS3, I use them in my advanced set up for CFS3 it is wonderful to have this ability..
Also wonderful water effects and seasons effects with in the program from Winding Man..
They operate from the assets folder in CFS3..The files and needed items are placed there (assets folder) when a season or weather effect option is used..

Led Zeppelin
April 13th, 2011, 21:40
Daiwilletti, Winding Man campaign manager in OFF don't use at all the CFS3 campaign mode.

Daiwilletti
April 14th, 2011, 01:46
Daiwilletti, Winding Man campaign manager in OFF don't use at all the CFS3 campaign mode.
Gidday Led Zeppelin, I was a bit short of time in my last post.
I wasn't thinking about OFF specifically. There is an older system Winding Man developed for stock CFS3, called a Scenery Manager. The latest versions were 4.6.6 and 4.7.
Looks like the Hobbit has the Manager installed.

What I was suggesting to Von Oben is that the approach of developing a _cmpweather.xml is the way to control campaign weather (I think). It may be possible to develop such a file to have variable weather for campaign play. I note that in the Scenery Manager there is a folder installed under Weather called "ETVariable" or somesuch. That suggests to me that with a bit of research Von Oben might indeed achieve his goal.

I hope that the zip I uploaded proves helpful.

of course I could be completely wrong about this as I haven't tried it myself as yet :icon_lol:

vonOben
April 14th, 2011, 03:11
Hi Daiwilletti

Thanks for sharing your ideas and for the files! :)

I’ve already done some testing with WM’s Scenery Manager 4.6.6 and came to de same conclusion how it works in campaign mode. WM did actually base his own dynamic weather on DEX files according to the readme file.

Since I’ve been flying OFF I’ve got used to the weather and seasonal changes so I’m trying to set up the new JB Scenery seasons I’m working on using WM’s Scenery Manager.

I have some problem with the Scenery manager at the moment though since it loses the campaign path every time I close it down. Any ideas what to do about that? :confused:

Cheers

vonOben

HouseHobbit
April 14th, 2011, 05:03
Hi Daiwilletti

Thanks for sharing your ideas and for the files! :)

I’ve already done some testing with WM’s Scenery Manager 4.6.6 and came to de same conclusion how it works in campaign mode. WM did actually base his own dynamic weather on DEX files according to the readme file.

Since I’ve been flying OFF I’ve got used to the weather and seasonal changes so I’m trying to set up the new JB Scenery seasons I’m working on using WM’s Scenery Manager.

I have some problem with the Scenery manager at the moment though since it loses the campaign path every time I close it down. Any ideas what to do about that? :confused:

Cheers

vonOben

Hello Per,
I have the files, I looked thought my disks and found it all..WM 4.7

I also have the Assets-effects-FxTextures from my CFS3 advanced set up for you..

I learned in the past to pick out the parts I wanted in CFS3 and Just load those..
I had a small hard drive in 2005-06 and needed to save a much space as I could..

So I Learned which files gave me the Seasons, water and scenery files that I wanted from WM 4.7 and load ONLY these files to CFS3..
I am no expert at any of this But it has worked well for many years like this..
Hobbits aren't the smartest folk..

I don't have the entire program loaded even today.. Just the Cool looking seasons and water with the scenery files in My CFS3 advanced set up..

To fix the campaign path problem you must have a Campaigns, Weather, Missions, QuickCom folder in the
Application Data/Microsoft/Combat Flight Simulator 3.0 folder
(XP) operating system I use..Not sure of the pathway for Vista or Win 7..

And you must fly a campaign Mission , then set up the WM program for this campaign and it will hold it..

Each time you start a new campaign, allied or axis, you must do this to have it hold the set up..

If you set up a campaign for allied, British then it will only hold the settings for this campaign.. If you want to use Allied -American, you must fly One mission then set up the WM program for it..If I remember correctly..Again Hobbits don't have great memories either..

The WM program is very picky about how the missions and campaign are set up to hold all of this..The read me in WM 4.7 has this in it I think..

I am sending all of this VIA; Mediafire..
You will receive two notices (e-mails) from mediafire to download it all..
One download will be the WM 4.7

the second will be My advanced cfs3 set up files I use..Look at this set to work out how this works..
That way you don't have to load the entire WM 4.7 if you don't want to..
I hope this helps, and makes sense..

Have a great day,
Hobbit (Owen)

Daiwilletti
April 14th, 2011, 15:26
Hi vonOben,
just off the top of my head, I wonder if you could achieve what you wanted without installing the full Scenery Manager? It may be possible to have a simpler setup. There must be an xml file that controls/specifies what seasons occur in CFS3. It looks as though WM modifies that file and creates four distinct seasons, therefore needs four seasonal folders with appropriate textures in them.
My guess would be that several xml files would need to be modified, then appropriate folders with textures installed perhaps in the Assets folder? And then a _cmpweather.xml file too, of course!

Anyway, its just a thought. You are the one doing the hard yards, :ernae:

HouseHobbit
April 14th, 2011, 15:45
Hi vonOben,
just off the top of my head, I wonder if you could achieve what you wanted without installing the full Scenery Manager? It may be possible to have a simpler setup. There must be an xml file that controls/specifies what seasons occur in CFS3. It looks as though WM modifies that file and creates four distinct seasons, therefore needs four seasonal folders with appropriate textures in them.
My guess would be that several xml files would need to be modified, then appropriate folders with textures installed perhaps in the Assets folder? And then a _cmpweather.xml file too, of course!

Anyway, its just a thought. You are the one doing the hard yards, :ernae:
This is the way I have it loaded into my CFS3 advanced set up..
I don't have the full WM 4.7 program loaded just the seasons and water and scenery
In the assets folder is where most of it is located, and the FX textures folder..

vonOben
April 15th, 2011, 03:29
Hi guys

HouseHobbit, thanks a lot for uploading the files for me! :applause:

Much appreciated! :)

I would like to use the Scenery Manager which seems to be the perfect choice for what I want to achieve. It seems rather flexible if I understand correctly and doesn’t stop working if you remove or add files?

Regarding the problem with the campaign path I followed the instruction in the readme file creating and saving a campaign first.

I was a bit confused about the path though since the readme says:

Normally this folder path typically looks like this:
C:\Documents and Settings\"User Name"\My Documents\Combat Flight Simulator 3.0\Campaigns\saved\western front\john stuart milne

And my campaigns is saved to "My documents" folder that are on F:\”User name”\Combat Flight Simulator 3\Campaigns\saved\western front\john stuart milne

I'll delete the campaign and start a new one and the set the paths in WM Scenery Manger again to see if I can get it to work this time.

Have a nice weekend!

Cheers
vonOben

loverboy1
April 15th, 2011, 10:31
full masters in this now , cant wait .....since i do nothing , i can fly the thing once the masters figure it out ....im blonde

vonOben
April 17th, 2011, 07:36
Hi

I have the Scenery Manager working now. It took a few tries before I understood how to get the campaign path to get saved. :redf:

Cheers

vonOben

Daiwilletti
April 17th, 2011, 21:06
Well done, vonOben! :applause:
It will be very interesting to see how the Scenery Manager operates in the modern (post-ETO addon) environment :medals:

Thinking about some of the great features of the original Scenery Manager, I hope you are successful!!

David