PDA

View Full Version : What to buy in China?

Navy Chief
April 2nd, 2011, 18:16
My sister is in China for 12 days. Her husband manages finances for a couple companies there. She asks if there's anything I want that she could bring back. My initial thought is something like an Ipad? But would there be any problems, bringing electronics bought in China - back to the U.S.?

Panther_99FS
April 2nd, 2011, 18:43
She should be able to buy anything American....

Trans_23
April 2nd, 2011, 19:04
Not sure but I think you have to pay a duty (re:tax) on anything brought back that is worth more than a certain dollar amount. As long as it is not food I think she is good.

http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/travel/vacation/kbyg/paying_duty.xml

andersel
April 2nd, 2011, 19:21
Maybe some McDonald's or KFC?

magoo
April 2nd, 2011, 19:58
Jade.

If she's in Beijing, it's cheaper than Hong Kong.

The typical tourist trap jade factory will have a massive range of carving from the superb, to the sublime, to pure garbage. Prices can mostly be negotiated from list to less than 50%. One needs to learn a little to recognize good jade, plus follow one's own taste.

There's some really beautiful "native" art unique to China to be found, not too heavily hidden amongst the kitsch and the garbage. I think most "hotel" organized tours to the Beijing version of the Great Wall ( Const. 1985?) will end up at THE JADE FACTORY. There's many other places, but that should do for the short term.

....Remember...negotiation is everything. It's fun.

kilo delta
April 3rd, 2011, 05:06
Most of the world's electronic goods come from China...and they're a heck of a lot cheaper there. :)

Navy Chief
April 3rd, 2011, 05:10
Most of the world's electronic goods come from China...and they're a heck of a lot cheaper there. :)

Well, if she can get me an Ipad fairly cheap, and the duty tax is not too much to bring it back home....then yes!!!

wombat666
April 3rd, 2011, 05:45
As someone who has been in and out of China many times in the past few years you'll get nothing of any value 'cheap'.
Hong Kong is extremely expensive, Shanghai at least on a par or maybe higher, and the wonderful Beijing 'markets' are aimed at the 'Tourist Trade'.
Anything, and I mean ANYTHING worth having in the PC/Electronic Goodies line will be expensive, Shanghai and Hong Kong have specific locations where one must go to purchase specific items, and I think Beijing has caught on to that idea as well.
I haven't had a need (or the inclination) to return to China for well over a year, but the Chinese are really good at adopting certain 'Capitalist' retailing methods.
I wouldn't even buy anything from the vast number of cheap DVD sellers, at $00.80 they are good for a Frisbee and not much else.
Better off buying from a 'genuine' Duty Free Shop.
:monkies:

Navy Chief
April 3rd, 2011, 05:48
Well, my sister is pretty savvy when it comes to finding deals. She owns a business in Indianapolis. That, and her husband has been to China many times. If a decent legitimate price is available for what I want, then I'm sure they'll let me know!!!

But she's smart enough not to buy from shysters!

NC

kilo delta
April 3rd, 2011, 07:14
Hope she can haggle in order to get a good deal. :)

wombat666
April 3rd, 2011, 08:25
Chief, up to March last year when my youngest brother had a crippling stroke, we ran a marine supply business, or rather, he operated the day to day side of it and I did my best to keep it right side up and balance the books.

Neither of us wanted to deal with China but as all the opposition did, it was get on board or shut up shop.

Ed would be over there once or twice a month, I'd try limit my time to three or four times a year.
Believe me, I looked around for 'discounted' PC gear and there was none, unless 'unlicensed/illegal/pirate' items were found that were of rather mediocre quality to put it politely.
Like a Chinese 'Rolex'.......................:kilroy:

And believe me, our contacts over there covered a very wide area.
Good luck but I wouldn't be hanging out for a cheap/discounted deal.

Navy Chief
April 3rd, 2011, 08:29
Thanks Wombat,

If she finds anything at a good price, I will keep your advice in mind, most definitely!

Naismith
April 3rd, 2011, 12:37
I wonder, do they have the equivalent of Dollar Stores there? And if so does all the crap therein have "Made in USA" stamped on the bottom? lol