PDA

View Full Version : Re-installing CFS2, a few things I forgot....

pburnage
March 30th, 2011, 21:02
Hello guys,

I have reinstalled CFS2, and I was stupid enough not to save the cfg file before. I used to have a line in there that made the sim start directly with the virtual cockpit view. I cannot remember which one it was. Can somebody refresh my memory?
Also, if I remember well (which I don't, obviously....), there was a way in the cfg file or panel cfg file to pre-set the zoom factor. There again , a little reminder would be helpful. Thanks.

Philippe Burnage

Pen32Win
March 30th, 2011, 21:20
Howdy PB;

I don't know about the setting the default to the VC but the 2-D Zoom can be set by adding this line to the Panel.cfg of any Aircraft:

VIEW_FORWARD_ZOOM=1.0 (Or whatever Factor you wish)

This can be used with any view. I use it alot for REAR views where I have a reticle to sight aft firing weapons. Makes Tail Wagging much easier.

bearcat241
March 30th, 2011, 21:21
In the SITUATIO folder...open defair.flt with notepad and scroll down to [window.1]:

[Window.1]
Order=0
Active=True
Undocked=False
Maximized=False
ManualMaxed=False
;ScreenUniCoords=0,0,8192,6144
UndocCoords=0,0,0,0
ViewType=Normal
ViewMode=Cockpit <-----------default 2D panel
;ViewMode=Virtual Cockpit <------------use this one for 3D default
ViewDir=Foreward
CockpitZoom=000.50
VirtualZoom=000.50
TowerZoom=008.00
TrackZoom=000.50
SpotZoom=001.85
MapZoom=011.00

I keep the VC setting on standby but disabled by the comment semicolon. Just copy and paste this into yours and remove the comment. Put your defo 2D setting on disabled standby instead. For zooming, use the zoom entries to modify the factor.

When finished with this one, copy/paste the mods into the defgnd file also. Its located within the same folder. Then test fly. Any adjustments must be made to both files concurrently for affect.

Jagdflieger
March 31st, 2011, 08:16
Bearcat,

Speaking of the defair and the defgrnd files in the SITUATIO folder, do you remeber the lines to modify in order to stabalize the external view of the aircraft?

Ach! I remembered.

[Window.1]
Spotfasttransition=True

pburnage
March 31st, 2011, 09:20
Thanks a lot.

Pen32Win
March 31st, 2011, 13:08
BTW PB;

WELCOME BACK!!!! :ernae:

simonu
March 31st, 2011, 14:40
How interesting! Thankyou! Philippe and Dave, for bringing up this intersting subject.
I am fiddling with saved flight [*.flt] files to configure multiple views.

A flight file can be saved and loaded using the cfo_weather module,

they are found in the /Pilots folder

same as the civil sim used to use (before m1cr0s0ft re-introduced the MISSION)
a flight file can be used
to load weather,
program system failiers, set up view options in fact just about any sim option can be set up, so you can save a flight with your auto pilot set and radios tuned and view set to track or tower spot, Chase????
When in QC or flying Missions, Chase View can be invoked to a second window and can be switched to focus on the mission objects. thus you can see the targets point of view,

Flight files are like mission files and overlap to some degree
I do not know what happens if you set weather in both mission and flight, they also share common variables with the CFS2.CFG file.

I wonder if CFS2 supports ABL scripts?

I must try it

Cheers

Jean Bomber
March 31st, 2011, 15:51
Welcome back philippe!:ernae:
I'm a fan of your planes ,the Tempest is my favorite.
The thread is also interesting , don't know this way to tweak it f.e I corrige the zoom factor each time I fly..:kilroy: thanks Bearcat Pen32Win Jag Simon for the learn about the view.:salute:
Perhaps off-topic ...I've recently played with the view using the "Bigglesview" idea used in the old PHP p40 movie that give one other funny point of view for the flight like to have a cam on the wing or on the top or elsewhere playing with the values
here the value I use in the cfg of the Brunosk's BSK_Spitfire_MkVB
[Views]
eyepoint=-1.00,-7.50,0.35 //Bigglesview
(eyepoint=) -1.09, 0.000, 1.65 //Centerview

JP

Pen32Win
March 31st, 2011, 23:13
Cool Screen shots JB. The alternate POV's give you some really different perspectives.

bearcat241
April 1st, 2011, 09:20
Hey JB, now that you've gotten the hang of that viewpoint in ground attack, try dogfighting in that mode :jump:

bearcat241
April 1st, 2011, 09:22
More...

Jean Bomber
April 1st, 2011, 15:07
Hi BC,remembering the fun I've had the first times I've fly the good old p40movie with this view in Qc or in the PHP missions so I've decided to adapt it on the current plane I use on the NorAf sceneries.That could be easely done for some other planes as to put the view for a bomber under near the bomb doors and drop them and then use the f6 on the KB ,the bomb/rocket view and fall on the the target ...:kilroy: completly stupid but also funny :icon_lol:
I like to send the rocket like an explorer and use this f6 rocket view to cross away faster through the sceneries that give another point of view http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/images/icons/icon22.gif
http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/images/misc/pencil.png

Jean Bomber
April 1st, 2011, 15:09
Some more http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/images/icons/icon22.gif

bearcat241
April 2nd, 2011, 04:02
Yeah, thats something i like to do sometimes in CFS2, especially a six to eight rocket salvo. Then i move the view through each rocket continuously until they impact a few seconds between, one after the other. If you want more range, point your nose up about 20 degrees as you fire.

This is where you need to have an autopilot keystroke so you don't have to worry about your flying while you track the weapons in flight. :ipepsi2:

Jean Bomber
April 2nd, 2011, 15:09
This is where you need to have an autopilot keystroke so you don't have to worry about your flying while you track the weapons in flight. :ipepsi2:

does the autopilot exist in cfs2?

bearcat241
April 2nd, 2011, 18:45
Of course...that feature has always been present from the FS2000 base upon which CFS2 was written. Just install an AP gauge in your panel.cfg, like any other gauge. You can activate it with mouse clicks and/or by key commands. All of my favorite models have an AP setup, as well as GPS. Hey, i know its WW2, but i'm no purist about this stuff...LOL

Jean Bomber
April 4th, 2011, 14:52
OK BC I didn't know that was possible to use in cfs2,the AP have a sense in a wwII game to bomb with the norden or if there is a gunner fonction :kilroy:

JP

bearcat241
April 4th, 2011, 15:09
Well, just like in FS world, in CFS2 the AP is simply for flight. It has no other function. But when using the Norden bombsight, or any other brand, you can engage the AP to hold course and altitude after you establish a perfect line to your target or aimpoint. Once you get the hang of using the sight and the AP together, you can even use the AP to fly all the way to the target aimpoint after turning onto your initial point. This is done by making fine AP heading adjustments along the path. But regarding gunnery, i'm not sure how AP can help.

Jean Bomber
April 5th, 2011, 13:21
But regarding gunnery, i'm not sure how AP can help.

AP could help if cfs2 had a tail or turrel gun fonction,but it seems have no way today to hope this stuff,perhaps looking how it work for cfs3 or about the mysterious cfs1 tailgunner I've heard about in a post.http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/images/icons/icon28.gif

JP

Ali Cat
April 5th, 2011, 17:33
I'm curious what AP gauge you like. I've stumbled onto "prop2ERKap" - are there others? If I ever get to that, and I would like to, having existing gauges makes for a good starting point.

AC

bearcat241
April 6th, 2011, 04:08
AP could help if cfs2 had a tail or turrel gun fonction,but....

Indeed my good friend, that would be nice, but "IF" is the keyword here :)

Ali Cat, my favs are the B1_autopilot and the Lear45 AP. Even though they both have modern faces as opposed to a more vintage look, they seem to work best with any flight model i use.

miamieagle
April 6th, 2011, 04:54
Yes!

You can get it here!

http://www.mnwright.btinternet.co.uk/Cfsops/Modules/cfo_weather/Cfo_Weather_75.htm:wavey:

You can also set it up your through your CFS2 command Key List.

Jean Bomber
April 6th, 2011, 12:20
Thanks Miami to remind us the about fonctions that the Goo 'ol MW's tool have and we can use in cfs2 ,BTW that's stay in the topic :icon_lol: a "...few things I forgot..."
BC, the "IF" in cfs2 have it's part of mystery because we don't know in this game if it's possible or not ,the engine seems to have so many ressource don't used or hidden ,as to find the bridges...like a soft not completed...

JP

Oglivie
April 6th, 2011, 13:54
my favs are the B1_autopilot and the Lear45 AP

I've been using the B1 AP also. I'll have to check out the Lear one too. Thanks for the info BC.
I also somewhat like the quick & simple mil_ap1 (for light aircraft), but it does not have all the features of the B1 or Lear AP.

bearcat241
April 6th, 2011, 15:06
Almost any FS/CFS AP is going to have the basic altitude and level hold features. The key is using an AP that also has heading hold. When this is activated, the plane will automatically begin to steer to the default heading of 360 prescribed into the defair.flt and defgrnd.flt files of the SITUATIO folder. But when you use this in conjunction with the common, mouse-able CFS2 magnetic compass installed on the panels of all flyable stock a/c, you can use the magcomp to correct the heading like a steering wheel. It automatically connects with your active AP gauge and takes over the heading function.

So, with these two, you can go hands free and just steer the plane with mouse clicks on the magcomp. This is how you manage a bomb run in a medium and heavy bomber as bombardier. Its basically the same method used by the guys peering into the Norden sight. They steered to their aimpoints in AP mode with nothing more than a few knobs on the sight. Even better, using any of the two gauges i've posted above, you can even bypass the magcomp altogether. All of the incremental features on these two mouseable gauges can be adjusted on the fly. For example, if you activate heading hold, you can click on the heading number to the left or right to adjust. Same with altitude and vertical speed.

Oglivie
April 6th, 2011, 16:01
Good suggestions Bearcat. That is the best set up I think. I have experimented with the AP wings level also (rather than heading). The joystick has a much more limited control input with AP wings level and the stick can be used to fine tune the bomb run. The heading hold works fine though.