PDA

View Full Version : Megascenery Earth California afcad

Montie
March 30th, 2011, 07:55
Most airports does not aligne right with the Megascenery Earth California scenery, I have not been able to find any afcad files or the like to correct this. Does anybody know if any such files? Edwards AFB and China Lake is way off and its driving me crazy...

falcon409
March 30th, 2011, 08:12
Most airports does not aligne right with the Megascenery Earth California scenery, I have not been able to find any afcad files or the like to correct this. Does anybody know if any such files? Edwards AFB and China Lake is way off and its driving me crazy...
This isn't surprising really, when you place satellite imagery in conjunction with FSX default airports It's hit or miss as to whether the airport AFCAD's will align correctly. It is what it is. If you want the AFCAD to align, it's up to you to do what ever is necessary to correct it.

falcon409
March 30th, 2011, 09:18
Ok, to expand on this (my previous answer was typed off my blackberry and I'm lucky it all looked correct and was spelled correctly). If there are specific airports that you want to be aligned correctly, then an AFCAD editing tool like AFX (payware) or ADE (freeware) will be required. It was not uncommon when I was doing airports with photoreal imagery as the ground texture to have airports misaligned. . .in several instances as much and 1/4 mile difference. Unless the folks who make the photo real textures available actually go through all the airports and ensure that they all match the defaults (most don't want to take the time to do this. . .and it does take significant time when you're talking about the megascenery you're talking about). . . .you'll find this all the time.:salute:

Meshman
March 30th, 2011, 09:43
You mean like this?

What is scary is when you see a "K" airport way out of whack, because if the Jeppesen data is that far off...

As the work time allows, there will be a complete set of airports for Kalifornia, which could be used in the previously mentioned product. Then they will look like they are suppose to.

Montie
March 30th, 2011, 10:00
Thanks for the replies. I was just hoping for the "easy" way out before plunging into task for aligning them myself. I believe ADE is already installed on my system, I just need to learn this sort of editing first..

falcon409
March 30th, 2011, 10:06
You mean like this?

What is scary is when you see a "K" airport way out of whack, because if the Jeppesen data is that far off...

As the work time allows, there will be a complete set of airports for Kalifornia, which could be used in the previously mentioned product. Then they will look like they are suppose to.
Lol, yep, that would be one example Meshman, lol, very good, ha ha ha!!:salute:

falcon409
March 30th, 2011, 10:09
Thanks for the replies. I was just hoping for the "easy" way out before plunging into task for aligning them myself. I believe ADE is already installed on my system, I just need to learn this sort of editing first..
Sorry 'bout that Montie. . . .if you're just talking about a rwy, it isn't too bad really. When you look at the number of airports though that have multiple rwy's and interconnecting taxiways and parking ramps, plus the parking spaces attached to those ramps. . . .you can see where the time begins to mount. I use AFX, but I know lot's of folks that swear by ADE and it is, after all, freeware. Good Luck on your project!!

Meshman
March 30th, 2011, 11:27

One word to the wise, no matter the tool used to modify airports. All three tools allow a background image to help with the process. I use SBuilderX to get my background images. I DO NOT recommend using Google Earth as a background image for precise alignment of an airport. Their GIS data is ever so slightly off from the photo scenery and can cause minor, but noticeable misalignment of the entire airport structure. Using the other satellite services would be a better idea.

One of the delays in my NorKali scenery is caused by the GE misalignment and having to tweak all those airports.