PDA

View Full Version : Repaints for the freeware F-8 Crusader...the one by the French guys

OBIO
March 29th, 2011, 00:36
I can't remember their names....Laborie Roland, Jean Pierre Langer, Jean Pierre Bourgeois, Claude Yves Marie and Roland Peltre.....copied their names out of the read me file. Gmax F-8 Crusader for FS2004. Looking for skins for it....anyone know of any...US Navy? Flightsim.com didn't have any, and the new set up on AVsim boggles my little brain.

OBIO

Daube
March 29th, 2011, 01:27
An excellent plane isn't it ? :)
I never thought about looking for repaints though.
What's the problem with avsim library ? I didn't see any changes there ? :/
However, there seem to be only repaints for the Alphasim Crusader... Which looks quite good, but I don't think it has such a nice VC as Roland's one.

modelr
March 29th, 2011, 07:23
Just checked my downloads for that model, and don't have any paints for it in the folder, other than what came in the installer. Apparently there were none released on the regular sites. Perhaps on the French sites??

OBIO
March 29th, 2011, 09:14
After I did this post, I went to Simviation.com looking for new stuff and came across a Version 2 of the Crusader. It was put together by someone other than the original authors....that package includes 12 schemes....a couple US Navy, USMC and others.

The only thing I don't like about this particular Crusader is the exhaust effects....too white and too bright. I will be looking at those to see if I can change them. And will reduce the specular shine a bit...too shiny for my personal taste. But beyond those two small things...this Crusader rocks and makes a nice hangar mate for the IRIS A-7 Corsair II.

OBIO

Daube
March 29th, 2011, 09:38
Well, the package you mentionned (found it by typing "Simviation Crusader" in Google) is what I was considering as the "base" package.

OBIO
March 29th, 2011, 11:29
The original package I had was from Flightsim.com and only came with a couple skins....French, one blue and one gray..or bleau and gris as the French would say. Finding the package on Simviation with the US Navy and Marine skins was a nice find. At some point, once I get my skinning software up and running, I will have to see about doing some more US Navy and Marine skins...so many really nice looking schemes to be done.

OBIO

Blackbird686
March 29th, 2011, 13:35
I have a file called "crusaider.zip", it contains an installer for the F-8 Crusaider by Laborie Roland, Jean Pierre Langer, Jean Pierre Bourgeois, Claude Yves Marie and Roland Peltre and does have multiple skins including French, US Navy, US Marines and the Navy Blue Angels. It also has launchable missiles, droppable fuel tanks, etc. I have had that download for as long as I can remember on one of my original FS Back-Up Cee Dee's. It's probably the same one that OBIO found on Simvi. I remember when I had the plane installed that the model was a little too shiney, so I toned it down a little and used the Kirk Olssen F-16 afterburner effect...

BB686:USA-flag:

Drzook
March 29th, 2011, 14:15
You know what'd be a really cool repaint for this bird? Shin Kazama's Crusader from Area 88:wiggle:

Motormouse
March 30th, 2011, 05:06
AFAIK the only paints (besides the ones it came with) that have been done so far are Phillipine Air Force; from here ---- > http://www.philskies.net/library/Komics/PAF-F8H-Crusader.zip ;

Zip contains the modified textures only.. so you'll have to copy and paste rest from
one of the goose-grey USN variants.

ttfn

Pete

modelr
March 30th, 2011, 17:18
I have the V2 version also, just not installed, so I didn't know about the other included paints. The readme doesn't mention them.

There is also an updated cfg. for this plane by Miško, file name crsd_cu.zip with a file date of 08/26/2009. I don't know where I got it, but since I generally only use the 3 main sites, Flightsim.com, Avsim.com, and Simviation.com, my bet is one of them. Most likely Simv.

OBIO
March 30th, 2011, 18:02
I downloaded the updated fde set you mentioned Modelr...I did not try it. I did read part of the read me file....in which he states that he used the flaps to simulate a tail hook trap. Deploy the flaps fully and it's like hitting a brick wall.

OBIO

Motormouse
April 2nd, 2011, 04:14
Best way to trap is to use Rob B's gauges; I have them set up in minipanel format;
in fact IIRC the Crusader comes with the panel .cfg already set-up to use Rob's gauges via
the minipanel.

ttfn

Pete