PDA

View Full Version : SATA cable AGAIN!!!

jimjones
December 4th, 2008, 04:08
While FSX simming the PC locked up tight. A reboot did not work, but indicated a BCD error (Boot Configuration Data not read). An F8 key during bootup showed that my boot disk was not active. Previously a SATA cable had given me fits for months and replacing it fixed the problem. Based on this experience I changed out the cable and again the problem was
fixed. Fortunately I had a spare cable, so downtime was just a few minutes. :mixedsmi:

What is the chance of a PC having two SATA cables fail within a years time?

bearcat241
December 4th, 2008, 04:11
In spite of its advanced benefits, i for one have little faith in SATA configs....its why i've stuck with IDE setups for all these years since SATA hit the streets.

Panther_99FS
December 4th, 2008, 04:24
Definitely sounds weird to me jim - perhaps the root of the problem lies elsewhere....

Roger
December 4th, 2008, 04:37
I've had SATA drives (2 hd and 2 dvd) since my new pc a year ago and so far no problems. I run the drives in IDE mode though and I try to keep the drivers up to date. I also opted for the best quality leads I could as the drive end required 90 deg plugs.
Hope you sort it Jim.

jimjones
December 4th, 2008, 05:30
Thanks for your thoughts, gents.

The cables that failed were originals from Cyberpower that were in the original build. They were black color with clips that held the cables in place. That should be a plus, I would think. Could have just been a bad batch of cables.

Neither of the failed cables had right angle plugs for the drive ends. Perhaps that could be a problem since the cables may get flexed too much when the side panel is removed/replaced and since those cables are in close proximity to the side panel.

Perhaps SATA plugs could be a source of instability judging from their small size that may equate to an insecure connection, but so far the disk drives themselves and the MB have proven to be fine during the 14 months of ownership of the PC.

I must add that the Cyberpower PC has performend flawlessly otherwise.

ananda
December 4th, 2008, 06:26
I am also having problems with one SATA cable so I have ordered four new ones, Akasa SATA-2 100cm DayGlo Blue.

harleyman
December 4th, 2008, 06:49
I know that Western Digital makes a special cable for their 300G V-Raptor as the clips on normal sata cables do not lock into place....