PDA

View Full Version : Which new warbird?

brettt777
March 22nd, 2011, 05:43
I want to add another of the beautiful classic warbirds that are available to my hangar. Due to budget constraints I can only do one right now. I am torn between several:

-A2A Shockwave WoP2 P-40 Warhawk
-A2A WoP3 P-47 Razorback Thunderbolt
-Just Flight F4F Wildcat
-RealAir Spitfire IX and XIV

I love the A2A Warhawk but the WoP2 version isn't really the P-40 model that I want. I would prefer a "D" or later. Flight Replicas has a P-40N W.I.P. but I don't know when that will be available.
The WoP3 P-47 is gorgeous but again, the Razorback isn't really the one I want.
The RealAir Spitfire looks fantastic and it's the later IX and XIV models that I would prefer.
The Wildcat looks great but I don't have any knowledge of Just Flight products.

Does anyone have any experience with any of these planes? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

jankees
March 22nd, 2011, 05:52
I have flown all of them, and I think that the P-47 Razorback is the one you want, you just don't realise it yet...
It's the best model in your list, well according to me anyway...

fox18delta
March 22nd, 2011, 05:54
take a look here

http://www.vertigostudios.co.uk/catalog/24

the Panther is amazing..but if you prefer prop driven, I really enjoy the Bearcat.

I have all the A2a stuff, they are solid fun.

Good luck

W. Bleddyn
March 22nd, 2011, 07:10
I'll have to second the Vertigo Bearcat. Great to fly and fantastic sounds!

Also, you will never go wrong with a WoP3 purchase, especially if you can afford the Accu-sim pack to go with it. I think everyone agrees they are among the best.

brettt777
March 22nd, 2011, 07:11
Thanks guys. Much appreciated...

txnetcop
March 22nd, 2011, 07:14
Brett have you looked at Flight Replica's Boomerang??? AWESOME!!! Also highly recommend the A2A P-47!!!
Ted

brettt777
March 22nd, 2011, 07:28
I have flown all of them, and I think that the P-47 Razorback is the one you want, you just don't realise it yet...
It's the best model in your list, well according to me anyway...

That's kind of what I figured; I just wish they had a "D" model with the bubble canopy. Then there would be no question. I will get all of them eventually but for now.... *sigh* decisions, decisions...

Daube
March 22nd, 2011, 07:30
I would recommend the A2A P47, but only if you plan to buy its Accusim upgrade, because Accusim will bring a level of immersion that no other plane will bring.

If you do not plan to buy Accusim for that P-47, then you would probably enjoy more the RealAir Spitfire because it's closer to what you are looking for. The P-47 without Accusim is an excellent addon but it's then at the same level than the other choices, and since you said it was not exactely the P-47 variant you were looking for, then the RealAir Spit will probably please you more.

tracyq144
March 22nd, 2011, 07:34
I realize it's not in your list, but the new WOP3 MkI and MkII Spitfire package is just awesome. The Accusim pak for it includes so much extra, in terms of operational fidelity, that it truly is "as real as it gets", for now, at least. I have, and enjoy, the Realair Spit, also, but the A2A package just goes so much further, IMO.

Can't go wrong with the Realair one, but can't go "wronger" with the A2A package! :)

Lenop
March 22nd, 2011, 07:40
I also would like to point you in the direction of the A2A accusim'ed Spitfire. It is just amazing because it feels like a living, breathing airplane that gives you "feedback" while operating it. It is just amazing.

W. Bleddyn
March 22nd, 2011, 07:45
I assumed the WoP3 Spit was not in his list because he had it! If not, definitely my vote for best WWII plane in FSX, bar none.

paulb
March 22nd, 2011, 07:49
Out of the four that you have listed, I would go for the Realair package. You get both the IX and the XIV models (although both use the same VC). Also, there are a fair number of repaints available.

The flight dynamics and the realism are very good and the external models are excellent.

A possible alternative is the new WOP3 Spitfire I/II. This too is excellent and has a more detailed VC. Again, plenty of repaints are available. You can enjoy it, even without the Accusim pack.

Having said that both the P47 and the P40 are very nice. I don't have any experience of the Wildcat.

Three other favourites of mine are -
Flight Replicas Boomerang
Warbirdsim P-51D
Classics Hangar FW190

Cheers

Paul

pilottj
March 22nd, 2011, 08:08
I believe down the road the P-40 is due for accusim treatment. One thing to note, with each successive accusim release, the accusim has 'new' features, so it only gets better :)

AndyE1976
March 22nd, 2011, 08:13
The RealAir spit won't disapoint, it's still a great aircraft, even now.

The WOP3 Spit and P47 are also excellent, but as others have said you get the full benefit with Acusim - although this can be added later as you're on a budget.

The Classic Hanger Fw190 is superb, it has the immersion of the A2A products and the ease of use of the RealAir.

Personally I haven't been blown away by the VS stuff yet, although the more I use it the more I like it. I don't have the Bearcat, only the Hellcat and SBD Dauntless.

BOOM
March 22nd, 2011, 08:31
I assumed the WoP3 Spit was not in his list because he had it! If not, definitely my vote for best WWII plane in FSX, bar none.

WholeHeartedly Concur!!! Maybe The most immersive aircraft for FSX on my list,If you don't have it......GET IT!!!:jump: It's that good,You won't be disappointed.

Kiwikat
March 22nd, 2011, 10:50
+1 for the A2A Accusim planes. Either the P-47 or Spitfire. Neither one will disappoint!

brettt777
March 22nd, 2011, 11:31
Unfortunely Accusim is not in the budget at this time. Believe me, I would love to have it for any plane I get from A2A, and I plan to get a few. Just not right now. Also, I need a better joystick/throttle/pedal setup before I get too realistic. I'm looking at the Logitech G940. I believe it will work well for me whether I'm flying a high tech modern fighter or a classic warbird.

Lenop
March 22nd, 2011, 11:46
I have not read many good things about that joystick, mainly because it being too sloppy and not precise. On the other hand, it is a very complete HOTAS with rudders and throttle. Anyway, that's another story.

My 2 cents: get the Thrustmaster T.1600M (magnetic sensors!), a pair of saitek rudders and an accusimmed A2A plane of your liking. Should equal the Logitech. ;-)

Kiwikat
March 22nd, 2011, 13:02
Unfortunely Accusim is not in the budget at this time. Believe me, I would love to have it for any plane I get from A2A, and I plan to get a few. Just not right now. Also, I need a better joystick/throttle/pedal setup before I get too realistic. I'm looking at the Logitech G940. I believe it will work well for me whether I'm flying a high tech modern fighter or a classic warbird.

Grab either of those two without accusim then. Later you can add the accusim pack and it will feel like you bought a whole new plane. :salute:

brettt777
March 23rd, 2011, 13:04
Just out of curiousity, what is the difference between the Wings of Power3 P-47 and the Wings of Power2 P-47? Tey look like the exact same airplane as far as detail level, etc. I know the WoP3 bird can have Accusim but other than that are they the same thing?

Daube
March 24th, 2011, 01:52
I believe the Wop3 is a newer model, more detailled, and in native FSX format, while the Wop2 might be in FS9 format... am I right ?

jankees
March 24th, 2011, 07:42
Wop3 is the newer model, far more detailed than wop2, which was a FS9 model upgraded to FSX.

Walter
May 12th, 2011, 17:13
If you want the later models of the P-40, you can get a free one of the IRIS Simulations at simviation. It has a good VC, but it doesn't have the accu-sim features. (Obviously :icon_lol:) It is fun to fly and has great detail.

http://simviation.com/1/search?submit=1&keywords=p-40+warhawk+fsx&x=0&y=0

Walter :mixedsmi: