PDA

View Full Version : Confused about Weapon BGLs..

Morton
March 20th, 2011, 15:19
I have a Skyhawk using the a BGL called : weapons_F4N.BGL. (compiled from the ALPHA Modern US pack I think) Now this BGL have several weapon objects. One of them is the ~ZUNI_ROCKET.
I know this is the right BGL because if I remove it, I get a missing Zuni_rocket message.

The thing which puzzels me is when I look at the BGL binary code the name of the object is :
~ZUNI_ROCKETXJM N-4F. So actually the call: ~ZUNI_ROCKET in the DP files should give an error!

I dont understand it!

Morton

Jagdflieger
March 20th, 2011, 19:36
Morton,

Perhaps the following will help, but it sounds like your issue may be different.

The Alphasim freeware modern weapons and WWII weapons packs often cause troubles as the Wpns.bgl file that comes with them (Weapons_00_Free.bgl) conflicts with the .bgl file that came with the original Alphasim plane. If you use the freeware bgl, then you must delete all of the original Alphasim .bgl files. One or the other works, but both together will cause trials, troubles and travails.

Morton
March 21st, 2011, 02:08
Actually you'r right Jagd. I suspected this also. As you say you might have the "name" of the same weapon in several A/C weapon packages. No problem as long as they have different system Id's in the BGL. But you dont know which BGL CFS2 loads the weapon from. The first instance of the weapon CFS2 finds I guess..

Mort

Fibber
March 21st, 2011, 10:08
Mort;
I found that blasted Weapons. Free --- in several Alpha aircraft weapons packages and it gave me fits! I removed just it and the weapons now load fine for ALL the Alpha A/C. You have to be careful using the provided a/c weapons files as that file appears in a lot of them, not all, just enough to drive you bonkers!

Question, When you have a plane that has techincally in real life two attach points on the same pylon (clusters) do you need to define two mounts for that? I am presently playing with a A-6 and was just wondering about that.

The B24 Guy
March 22nd, 2011, 06:43
Hi Fibber,

Every weapon and pylon has to have it's own mount point.

Regards,
B24Guy

Fibber
March 22nd, 2011, 09:04
B24;
Thanks. I thought that but just wasn't sure. I am working my way through Calebs DP guidelines and was trying to clarify that.

Ghostrider
March 22nd, 2011, 10:27
Guys,

I may be wrong here, but I thought that you could hang multiple bombs on the same hardpoint. I would almost swear I had to do that on some of my B-29 loadouts, because the number of hardpoints in the DP file is limited to sixteen or something, I don't remember the exact number, but I'm almost sure I had to have multiple bombs on the same hardpoint to have the correct number of bombs in the payload. I thought the hardpoints are more bomb "racks" that can hold multiple bombs, as opposed to an individual hardpoint.

If I have misunderstood the question, forgive me.

sc7500
March 22nd, 2011, 10:58
I just copied this from my B-25J DP file - it dumps a LOT of Iron at one Salvo...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
[PAYLOAD.3]
; Payload = Bombs, Light
mount.1=WEP_US_250lb_GP, 5, 2
mount.2=WEP_US_250lb_GP, 5, 3
mount.3=WEP_US_250lb_GP, 5, 4
mount.4=WEP_US_250lb_GP, 5, 1
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The number immediately after the weapon name indicates quantity of ordinance per mount - the number AFTER indicates when it is set to drop.....

SC :salute:
:kilroy:

Ghostrider
March 22nd, 2011, 12:43
I just copied this from my B-25J DP file - it dumps a LOT of Iron at one Salvo...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
[PAYLOAD.3]
; Payload = Bombs, Light
mount.1=WEP_US_250lb_GP, 5, 2
mount.2=WEP_US_250lb_GP, 5, 3
mount.3=WEP_US_250lb_GP, 5, 4
mount.4=WEP_US_250lb_GP, 5, 1
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The number immediately after the weapon name indicates quantity of ordinance per mount - the number AFTER indicates when it is set to drop.....

SC :salute:

Yes, indeed. The bombs will occupy the same "space" in the bomb bay, but you will see the correct number of bombs come spilling out at release. It's the only way to have more pieces of ordnance than the DP hardpoint limitation, which you need sometimes on heavy bombers carrying lighter bombs, and lots of 'em.

sc7500
March 22nd, 2011, 14:08
If you REALLY want to haul a lot of bombs but are afraid to try and take off overweight, you COULD "cheat" and change the weight of each bomb in their respective DP file.... like to 5 or 10 pounds instead of actual rated weight.... Heh Heh Heh....

SC

Fibber
March 22nd, 2011, 15:39
What I am tinkering with is the A-6 Intruder where some bombs were loaded in tandem and parallel on the same pylon.